Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Chia or Glucomannan

Another word for Chia I read is Salba and I saw them at Kroger. Both the dark and the white.

I almost bought it but wanted to ask. Which one do you prefer Chia aka Salba or Glucomannan? I know both thicken and people add them to baked goods.

Which is better?
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I have both, but I use the glucomannan WAY more than I do the chia. It's easier to use at a moment's notice and it doesn't leave little dark specks in stuff. Plus I can use it for gravy and other hot stuff - not sure if the chia works well in hot applications or not, I haven't tried it though.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:43 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
The first time I bought the white the next time the dark, except for color and price I don't see a difference. I wouldn't use it for the same things I use the Glucomannan in though.............. Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:07 AM   #4

Does Glucomannan impart moistness in baked goods like they say the chia does? I believe the salba aka chia was ground already too. Sure looks very strange though when you can see those specks
Old 06-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I have both but I use the glucomannan much. much more than the ground salba (I also buy mine at Kroger). The glucomannan would be cheaper also since you use so little. I've been using it for quite a while now and I'm still on the first bag.

I mostly use the ground chia is Dottie's Sunflower Chia crackers.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I love my chocolate chia shake!

2 tbs Hershey's extra dark cocoa, 1 tbs chia seeds, 1 c unsweetened almond milk (my favorite is Silk) a whiff of salt, 1/4 tsp vanilla, and sweetener to taste (I use a combo of erythritol, xylitol, and EZsweetz) Blend on high for several minutes until thick and rich. The blending gets rid of the lumps, even though it might retain a few miniscule black specks. This is so rich and decadent and has only about 105 calories and 2 carbs. If I can ever get it to the fridge for a little while without drinking all at once, it gets even thicker.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Oh, my, that sounds good, Diana. Going to have to try your shake when I do one again. Got to go get the extra dark cocoa first though.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot

It looks as good as it tastes. And if you can refrain from drinking it right down and put it in the refrigerator for an hour, it's like a rich chocolate milkshake. I love it! And it's so filling and satisfying, it puts an end to the day's eating, just when I'm wanting some munchies.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Thanks Diana

My daughter loves Maria's Chocolate Tapioca. I know that
she will love your chocolate shake.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post

It looks as good as it tastes. And if you can refrain from drinking it right down and put it in the refrigerator for an hour, it's like a rich chocolate milkshake. I love it! And it's so filling and satisfying, it puts an end to the day's eating, just when I'm wanting some munchies.
Thank you for sharing, Diana. What a perfect mid afternoon snack when I have the munchies on a hot Summer day.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
Does Glucomannan impart moistness in baked goods like they say the chia does? I believe the salba aka chia was ground already too. Sure looks very strange though when you can see those specks
Yes it does. The best way I've found is to beat the eggs and slowly add in the glucc powder until it forms "waves", then add in your dry ingredients until it makes like a dough. You can add water if you want it thinner for like cakes or cupcakes, or thicker for bread type baked goods.

I've never used chia because I'm hooked on glucc.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:47 AM   #12

Well Glucomannan is out for me. I bought some and it gives me the worse stomach pains. I feel like I have the flu. The texture was nice in the baked goods. But after 3 attempts hoping against hope the pain was just a fluke for the day, it isn't.

The Glucc was in pill form and there are no other ingredients in the capsules. I only used 1/8 of a tsp each time and to me that isn't very much.

So I am going to try the Chia next time I go to Kroger.

Last edited by SkeeterN; 07-31-2012 at 05:48 AM..
Old 08-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Glucomannan is really similar to xanthan and guar gums for their thickening properties. Chia is more similar to flax for their gelatinous properties. Although there is definitely a crossover of the 'moist' factor to some extent, chia and flax will hold more moisture without getting a slimy texture by using too much. Additionally, you can use both flax and/or chia gel as an egg substitute, something that you can't do with gluc, xanthan or guar.

All of these have a place in my kitchen for various applications, but it appears that you seem to be especially sensitive to the gluc, and I'm guessing that would be true of the other gums as well. IF you can handle flax, chia should be no problem and may be worth a try.

HTH

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bigmomma
Thanks, Donna for the great explanation of the difference...still not sure if I want to invest in yet another lc ingred (glucc) but at least now I know what it does (& doesn't) do!
bigmomma is offline   Reply With Quote