Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kemi
Stats: 187/145/140
WOE: HCG
Start Date: April 2012
Baking with coconut/almond flour

Is it just me? Whatever I have tried to make using these flours are failures. The supposed texture for bread comes out like cake and the supposed texture for cake comes out like bread. Much of it tastes like cardboard. Am I being unrealistic to think that it would mimic actual bread? Made coconut flour bagels and had to throw them all out. Made sandwich bread and had to throw that out. I guess I will just have to give up bread totally
Kemi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Are you working with recipes that have been tried/tested with those ingredients, or just trying to substitute those flours in "normal" recipes?

Sometimes the brand of the products you're using matters too - they're not all created equal!

I have some favorite recipes using those flours, BUT only ones that others whose LC cooking skills I trust have tried and given their "stamp of approval" - so far so good!

I'm sorry you've had disasters, that's never fun and I hate wasting so many expensive ingredients.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Charski, the recipes I have tried are by well known nutritionists; they just don't work for me. And yes, I have gone through 3 dozen eggs (organic, free range) in a day, not to mention all the flour, sigh. Can you give me some of your tried and true recipes?
Old 05-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I often have that same problem too. I think practice and tweaking helps a lot of the recipes.

Almond flour or nut flour anything is going to be a lot denser than regular bread or cake, stuff like that. We like to call it artisanal..lol

I find a lot of times also that things that others seem to love, I don't care for at all. Since we all have so varied taste buds, it makes it tough and I'm not much of a baker to begin with, so I have a hard time too.

Also, I learned to lower my expectations...I make nukker almond bread a lot from one of the recipes around here, but I don't know who to give the credit to now.

Coconut flour uses a lot of eggs and I have found that just adding in coconut flour with other flours and adding an extra egg, the results are better....but there are some good coconut flour recipes on this board--I just haven't made most of them myself.

Hopefully you will find a few recipes that work for you.

Also, don't make the full recipe whenever possible....just make half or a third or a quarter and that way you won't lose so many ingredients if it doesn't turn out.

Another thing...some of these creations, esp. with coconut flour are better the next day or even toasted. So give it a day or two to see if the flavors meld better before tossing. That's about all I can think of that might help.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemi View Post
Charski, the recipes I have tried are by well known nutritionists; they just don't work for me. And yes, I have gone through 3 dozen eggs (organic, free range) in a day, not to mention all the flour, sigh. Can you give me some of your tried and true recipes?
Kemi, I'm off to do some errands, but will try to remember to get back to this later - as for nutritionists - um, yeah, but I trust the cooks HERE more! So many here are willing to experiment, then share their results/tweaks/what didn't work - I like that much better than a recipe that a nutritionist gives me. Just me!!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Nigel, thanks for all the suggestions. Not sure what you meant when you talked about adding an egg to the coconut flour. Could you explain that please? I will try to search for that nukker almond bread. I have tried toasting it but it was even worse. I did make bread crumbs out of one recipe so I will use that for any breading recipes I might use. Thanks again.

Charski, I have used mostly recipes from Maria Emmerich and some from Jennifer Eloff. I do trust them a lot but maybe it's me. I don't know.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Kemi, It stinks to waste ingredients on untested recipes. totally search the threads here for almond flour and coconut flour recipes. I've has some really good ones and some okay ones, but none have been inedible disasters.

Some of my favorites are:
Almond Flour pound cake: really dense, really soft and moist (sweet)
Fabulously Easy Hearty Artisan bread( almond) : really dense but hearty and great with soups or as a pizza crust or pannini style sandwich (savory)
Almond flour as a cheesecake crust: not as crumbly as graham, but it works
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks metga. I cannut use Splenda. Can I substitute another sweetener such as erythritol or xylitol in place of Splenda? Also, I am very limited. I absolutely cannot use soy, cannot use any type of flour or grain except for almond and coconut and cannot use any splenda. I am a diabetic and have hypothyroid.

Last edited by Kemi; 05-31-2012 at 10:59 AM..
Old 05-31-2012, 11:01 AM   #9

You can sub any sweetener you like. I use erythritol and xylitol in many recipes. You can combine the two for a better effect. Do you have any Stevia. Using all three gives a good synergy.

I Personally use Splenda, but i use it as a blend of splenda, stevia, xylitol, Erythritol and Diabetisweet. I could easily leave out the splenda and still have a good blend of sweet just by combing more than one.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

So can you tell me what the exact measurements would be for those sweeteners in this recipe?
Old 05-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #11

Hmmm, I'll need to do some math and get back to you. My sweetener blend already has splenda, so I'd have to figure out a blend without.

Also, there is a sweetener thread somewhere here, that has the %'s, I'll go search for it and get back to you.

ETA:
I can't seem to find the thread with the percent sweetness, but I know it's out there. Mean while I found this quote. It might be useful to you then.

Quote:
Also, maybe include common combinations of sweeteners that are used to replace 1c sugar? ie 1c sugar equiv = 1/2c erythritol, 2Tbsp xylitol, 1/8tsp stevia powder (New Leaf Brand)
Hope that helps for now and when I find the thread I'll post a link so you can look at making your own blends.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 05-31-2012 at 11:19 AM..
Old 05-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Metga. You have been a great help.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Kemi, I don't use only an almond flour and coconut flour combo. Which recipe of mine failed you so badly? Curious me. As for Maria - many people love her recipes, so not sure what's up here, other than your standards are probably being measured by your high carb memories. I remember you said you didn't like her Crusty "bread." If you look at the ingredients, they will not yield a bread that tastes like your memory of bread. It's different.

Low-carb baking does take some getting used to, but today I far prefer the challenge of low-carb cooking and baking and often it is superior because fat is not an issue.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 05-31-2012 at 01:38 PM..
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Jennifer, I can't remember which recipe it was. I know Maria's was the sandwich bread one and it tasted like cardboard. I agree with you. I love low carb foods and I will never go back to eating the way I used to but this has really been frustrating for me. So far, whatever "bread" I have made has been a dismal failure. And I am really limited as I cannot eat any grains at all - not oat, not rice, not soy (ugh), it just has to be coconut and/or almond and I can use peanut flour but I haven't tried that yet. I have a huge recipe binder with 100's of recipes, many different kinds of breads, but, as I said, I have tried about a dozen or so and nothing works except the oopsie rolls. I do love those and the texture is so nice and soft (they are a bit eggy tasting) but I don't believe they are made with any kind of flour. It just must be the flour, I guess. I just don't know.

Last edited by Kemi; 05-31-2012 at 01:54 PM..
Old 05-31-2012, 02:19 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
HAVE YOU TRIED REVOLUTION ROLLS ( sorry for all caps) or flaxseed bread and/or muffins?

How about Truvia?
There's a recipe for homemade truvia.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Yep, rosethorns, that's what the oopsie rolls are, love them. Never tried the flaxseed bread and muffins. Do they come out soft? Have you made them and do you have the recipe?
Old 05-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kemi, if you like the Oopsie rolls, then stick with those. Cleo would like that. There is a whole thread devoted to baking with oopsie rolls. You can make so many things with Cleo's oopsie rolls and they are perfect for you at the moment.

Can you tell me why you can't have the small amount of oat flour in the bake mix? Being diabetic should not preclude you, nor being hypothyroid but if you are severely metabolically challenged, then I can definitely understand that. My friend, Barbo, has diabetes and she can have the bake mix goodies in moderation without adverse affects. Her daughter swears by the bake mix and they love it. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and no problems for me. My reason for the bake mix and the bit of oat flour (or sorghum flour some people use) in it is I like my baking to taste normal and more like what I remember.

I can't help you if you cannot remember the recipe of mine that you tried and didn't like. As I mentioned before I don't use a combo of only almond and coconut flour; at least I cannot remember anything offhand.

I have made many, many low-carb breads through the years, but your dietary restrictions preclude them from being used in your case.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Here ya go Kemi. # 3 on this thread is Thank you for the 1 minute muffin. Yes they are soft. You'll love flaxseed meal. I can't eat it anymore ( allergic) but when I did I love it.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...s-newbies.html

Another good one:http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...heap-good.html

Read both thread. The first one has a lot of info.

Here's a bun recipe made with almond flour and you will love them. And soft.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...rger-buns.html

Hope this helps.

May we all live our life as long as we want!
Old 05-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Jennifer, reason I can't have any grains is b/c I am in the stabilization phase of the HCG diet and if I eat any grains, I will not be able to stabilize the way I should. Eventually, I might be able to but that will probably not be for a month or so and then I want to keep it at a minimum. The recipe was not a combination of both flours; I think it was just coconut flour but again I've tried so many I just can't remember; so sorry. Thank you very much for all your help.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah, I understand - well, probably good eating up ahead for you then. Hang in there.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Kemi Did you see my post ? we posted almost the same time.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:51 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Oh, wow, rosethorns. I missed that. Thank you soooo much. Will print those out and let you know how they come out.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Try this one too Kemi.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...e-biscuit.html
Old 06-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemi View Post
Jennifer, reason I can't have any grains is b/c I am in the stabilization phase of the HCG diet and if I eat any grains, I will not be able to stabilize the way I should. Eventually, I might be able to but that will probably not be for a month or so and then I want to keep it at a minimum. The recipe was not a combination of both flours; I think it was just coconut flour but again I've tried so many I just can't remember; so sorry. Thank you very much for all your help.
Hang in there Kemi. You will eventually find ingredients and recipes that work for you. It takes awhile, and some of my early attempts were disappointing especially as I am a passionate cook and baker. I do feel that chocolate desserts/cookies/cakes can be the most challenging due to the inability to use only Splenda as a sweetener.

If I stick with a tried and true low carb recipe from an expert such as Jen, Peggy or many other wonderful cooks on here, I have better luck. The results may not be identical to conventional, high carb baking but they are still delicious and keep me feeling indulged.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #25

Kemi, here is the thread about Sweetness and Synergy and combining.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ons-1-cup.html

Quote:
For one cup of sugar sweetness
1 1/3 c. Erythritol, or
1 c. Diabetisweet

scroll down to post 5 for more details. I don't see xylitol mentioned much but I haven't read it in a while.

Also this thread: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ion-sugar.html
1/4 c. granular Erythritol = 1/3 c. powdered E

Last edited by metqa; 06-01-2012 at 12:46 PM..
Old 06-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I too had a hard time when I first began baking with almond/coconut flour. I am finally beginning to have great results baking with them. I love the almond thin crackers, carrot cake, almond joy bars and they all use almond flour or coconut flour. Give it some time and you will get it figured out. You will figure out the sweeteners also. I find using a blend of sweeteners works well. I like using splenda, erythritol, just like sugar, coconut sugar and stevia. Those are my favorite sweeteners right now. You can use whatever sweetener you like in recipes. Splenda doesn't work well in sweetening chocolate though, so it should either be left out or blended with another sweetener for chocolate sweets.

I know it can be frustrating learning to bake all over again but once you figure it out you will feel like a pro again. Thank goodness we have such wonderful bakers here that share all these delicious treats with us!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote