Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
Zero Carb Bread

So, I got to try some "Zero Carb Bread" at a friend's house the other day. It was very dense, kind of bland, but thrilling to be able to have a real sandwich again!
I would so love to make my own bread, but don't know if any of the bread recipes on here taste similar or better than the purchased kind!? Any ideas or preferences are welcomed!
Thanks so much!
jigglenomore is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Elaine where are you in yr weight loss? Are you on OWL now or still induction?
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Did your friend tell you how she made the bread or what was in it?
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiRoGe88
Start Date: June 2012
Do you mean the stuff you can buy online from a bakery?

If so the main ingredient in it is oat Fiber.
LiRoGe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:25 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diwitch
Stats: 140/140/140
WOE: Mine
Start Date: Jan, 2009
I personally LOVE Kevinpa's simple white bread, the one with carbalose. The carbquik one is good too, it's actually the DH's preference for toasting, but for everything else, we use the carbalose one.

I make K's mix with his 8 cup recipe and it sits in a big container, right next to the bread machine, so I just have to mix water, sugar, salt, oil and yeast...viola...bread!

Di
diwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I just got some yesterday. I am trying to fool around with developing a recipe.

They use:
oat FIBER
Egg whites
Psyllium
EVOO
Apple cider vinegar
Baking soda

I usually make my own, but sometimes it is nice to pull out a ready-made slice.

At 59 calories a slice, and 9 grams of fiber and 0 net carbs and 9 grams of protein, it's not bad. Tastes best after it is toasted to me. I like it because it is wheat and gluten free.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for all the replies, just getting on here after the company left for the day! Rosethorns, I'm on OWL, but fall off the wagon from time to time! LindaSue & Lisa, yes, it was the purchased kind called "Zero Carb", don't remember the name of the actual bakery, but she orders it on line for around 8.00 a loaf! Kind of steep and don't know if homemade would be cheaper or not, but hopefully so! Also, thanks Di, for the recipe tips, I have that one printed off, so will have to try it after I order some Carbalose.

Good luck with the experiments, Beverly! Let us know how it turns out when you try it!

Hope everyone has a good week! Thanks again!
Old 05-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's made by Julian Bakery.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:54 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diwitch
Stats: 140/140/140
WOE: Mine
Start Date: Jan, 2009
In regards to Kevinpa's bread & cost:

Both of them (the carbalose & the carbquik version) run about 3.50 per loaf. That's is ordering most of the ingredients from Netrition. One note, I use the corn resistant starch, not the wheat. It is much cheaper and I think it works better. On the really long simple white bread thread (I think it's that one) in the very last version he said he also uses the corn resistant starch as opposed to the wheat.

The only problem I had when I first started making it, was that it would sometimes "sink" after baking. So now I just turn the oven off when it is done (no opening the door) and let it sit there for several hours, then put it in the fridge for a few hours before I cut it & it turns about just about perfect every time.

There is a store near me that carries the Julian's bread BUT it is 12ish dollars a loaf. That is more than I am willing to pay (much more, lol).

Di
diwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:31 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I did find one other recipe.
ZERO Carbs Protein Pancakes
Taken from a Keto Recipe I found, so its not my own, but tastes like a real pancake never the less
6 egg whites
50g Flax Meal
1/4 scoop and 1 teaspoon protein powder (I used unflavoured (No Carb) but any will do)
about a spoon of cinnamon
2 tea spoons psyllium husk
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
200ml water
use a mixer or blender for this recipe.
Mix the egg whites until they foam, add the baking powder and cream of tartar and mix some more until it will get even foamier, add the cinnamon and mix, next add the flax and protein, lastly add the psyllium husk and keep mixing until it turns into this gooey kind of mixture then slowly add the water and you will see it basically turns into the same texture as a pancake mix.
Then just use pan spray, butter or whatever oil you like and make either a few small pancakes or like i did with mine ...1 huge one.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwitch View Post

There is a store near me that carries the Julian's bread BUT it is 12ish dollars a loaf. That is more than I am willing to pay (much more, lol).

Di
That is highway robbery!! OMG. I paid $6.99 and I thought THAT was awful!
Old 05-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Elaine have you tried Sara Lee bread. I'm trying to think. I think it's 5 grm.carbs per slice. when I ate it I loved it. I can't eat it now. I'm pretty sure they still make it.

On the wrapper it says SLB 45 calories per slice. I will look for it again and take a picture for you.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

I looked on there site and I can't find it. Maybe it's not made anymore. Sorry.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks so much everyone for all the help! Oh,my! Twelvish dollars a loaf? That IS highway robbery! Esther, I'm going to look at the day-old Sara Lee outlet in Springfield next time I'm down there - I think I saw a bread with 45 calories on the label - didn't realize it was low-carb, too! Thanks again - I love LC Friends and all the kind folks who "inhabit" it! ;o)
Old 05-30-2012, 06:48 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tandt
Stats: 297/227/?
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Elaine have you tried Sara Lee bread. I'm trying to think. I think it's 5 grm.carbs per slice. when I ate it I loved it. I can't eat it now. I'm pretty sure they still make it.

On the wrapper it says SLB 45 calories per slice. I will look for it again and take a picture for you.
I buy this all the time - It is Sara Lee 100% whole wheat, 45 calories. I buy it at our local grocery stores (in PA) and also at WalMart. It is 5 net carbs per slice and delicious!
tandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Awesome! Thanks Esther & Tandt!
Old 05-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Tandt I knew it was around.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post

I think I have a loaf of that in my freezer. I found it at Wal Mart, not sure if they are still carrying it. I still like Trader Joe's better and 4 carbs per slice. Just have to make the effort (not much, I know) to make Kevin's bread with the corn starch. I have the mix all made up, just have to put it together.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I found the cinnamon Carb Zero bread today for $6.00. My girlfriend tasted it and almost blew it out her nose. She said it tasted like cardboard to her. Me, I tasted it and was a happy camper. It just shows how your taste buds can change over time with your diet plan. I toasted it on high as they recommended and spread it with almond butter and sugar free jelly and was in heaven. I haven't had REAL bread in awhile, but I haven't forgotten how great an artisan bread can be. This bread works for me because it is wheat and gluten free, low calories, and 9 grams of fiber a slice with 9 grams of protein and no artificial sugars.

I just wish I could figure out the recipe to make it at home. So far, no luck. I am probably trying to figure this out the wrong way. If each slice is 59 calories and 20 are from fat and the only fat is olive oil, then 1/3 of the total calories should be olive oil. But I am not sure where the rest of the calories are coming from because oat fiber and psyllium are listed as zero. The rest can't be from egg whites, I wouldn't think. Maybe the fiber and psyllium actually do have calories. Any way, no success with my experiment so far. Maybe one of the low carb recipe creators can do a copy cat recipe of this sometime.

Last edited by sungoddess; 06-01-2012 at 07:59 AM..
Old 06-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, Beverly, that is so sad about your experiment! I just have no skills at all in the experimenting/tweaking department, so will just keep my fingers crossed and keep bumping this thread now & then, just in case! ;o)
Old 06-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Sungoddess, the back of my Metamucil bottle says that 1 rounded teaspoon has 20 calories. I am guessing that your bread calories are mostly coming from the psyllium (in addition to the olive oil you already figured out).
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Sungoddess, the back of my Metamucil bottle says that 1 rounded teaspoon has 20 calories. I am guessing that your bread calories are mostly coming from the psyllium (in addition to the olive oil you already figured out).
ohhhhh... thanks for the tip. I may try again!
Old 06-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
I buy Karb Krunchers bread and bagels. They are expensive, but I only have them once in a while and find they totally satisfy my craving for bread. The bagels are 5 carbs apiece and the slices of bread are 2.5 each. I order around 50.00 worth at a time and wrap each bagel in press and seal plastic and freeze them. For the bread I wrap two pieces together and freeze. I pull out as needed, I love them for french toast, sandwiches, hamburgers. I did buy their hamburger and hot dog buns and did not like them, they were too big. I toasted them and ground them up for bread crumbs. I can't say enough good things about this company, I ordered mine from Linda's Delites, I think they are out of NY. The bagels even come in flavors like cinnamon, onion, sesame, etc. Ok, now I know what I want for dinner, bagel and lox, or a toasted p & j! Just wanted to add If I am in a hurry, I defrost them in the micro on 40 percent power for 35 seconds and then pop them in the toaster. Leave the plastic wrap or wrap them in a napkin while in the micro, helps keep the bread moist!

Last edited by That Girl; 06-01-2012 at 03:23 PM..
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

How do they taste, bella? If they're even close to the real thing, esp. the bagels, it'd be worth the cost to me. I, like you, wouldn't use them too often, but just to know they were available would kind of "take the edge off" of wanting bready stuff!!
Old 06-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl
Elaine - I know you didn't ask me, but I've purchased the Carb Krunchers bagels (the shop she mentions is awesome!!). I'm not sure if I'd consider them the same as 'normal' bagels - actually, I prefer the Carb Krunchers! They were dense and moist (though they can vary a bit from bag to bag). I always purchased the cinnamon raisin. I really enjoyed them toasted (I think most LC bagels are that way...). Hope you like them if you try them (and thanks for letting me share my opinion - sorry for jumping in, Bella!).
ncgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

That's okay, ncgirl! I really appreciate your input! Guess I'll go ahead and order some of these! Thanks so much~
Old 06-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
NC girl, no worries, the more info the better! I think they are awesome. Now, they don't taste exactly like the real thing, but they are a great vehicle for what you put on them....toasted, you basically get the crunch factor and whatever flavor (p & J, cream cheese, etc.) you have on it. I think the bagels have to be toasted and the bread for sandwiches can be either fresh or toasted. For french toast, I flavor the egg batter with cinnamon, vanilla and whatever else you want...let it soak for a good 5 min and man, almost as good as the real thing. That website has all kinds of low carb stuff...hth!
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, it does help! I appreciate the info! Have a great weekend!
Old 06-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goheels
WOE: Low carb woe
Start Date: January 2008
You might want to check your blood sugar after eating one of the Karb Kruncher bagels, mine skyrocketed. I'm not sure I believe the karb kount.

They are delicious, though.
goheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindy lolz
WOE: I do my darndest to stay under 20g a day :D
The Sara Lee 45-calorie bread rules!

The Costcos in San Diego have three-packs of this bread. I think it is $8.50 or so for three loaves. Pretty good price, Costco! As per usual.
cindy lolz is offline   Reply With Quote