Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Widget's Zucchini Bread (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/772595-widgets-zucchini-bread.html)

Widget 05-25-2012 12:23 PM

Widget's Zucchini Bread

If you don't like zucchini and have never tasted zucchini bread, you're gonna like this. Zucchini bread tastes more like cake than bread although it usually isn't served as a dessert, but with the meal. You can't taste the slightest hint of zucchini, I promise, and if you have a child or spouse who hates veggies, this is a painless way to get a healthy vegetable down them, and have them ask for more. It tastes moist and delicious.

ZUCCHINI BREAD

3/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flax meal OR pork rind flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
15 pkts. Splenda
1 egg plus 1 yolk
1/2 cup oil (I used pure olive oil)
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 packed cup grated zucchini
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

(NOTE: If you use pork rind flour, first coarsely chop the rinds, then measure for the recipe, then grind into a flour.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a bread pan with parchment paper.

In a small bowl stir together the dry ingredients. In another bowl use a fork to beat together the wet ingredients until well blended. Beat in half of the dry ingredients until smooth, then the other half.

Stir in the zucchini, then the walnuts. Spread in the pan and bake 40 to 45 minutes until the center is set. Remove from pan immediately and let cool completely before slicing with a serrated knife. Freezes well.

dmburk 07-11-2012 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made this into a 9 x 9" cake. Using the pork rind flour and 1/4 c. splenda and 1/4 c erythritol for sweetener. Also used 2 whole eggs. I cut into 16 pieces and topped each with a teaspon of icing, Approz 2 TB each cream cheese and butter softened, with a little bit of sweetener. Approx 2 net carbs per square. A very good substitute for my old sugar laden recipe.

Ginaaaaaa 07-11-2012 12:27 PM

I'm going to try this ad soon as my blueberry muffins are gone!! Thanks for sharing!!

Pam 07-12-2012 09:41 AM

Widget.....What size bread pan did you use?

Widget 07-12-2012 09:45 AM

It doesn't matter what size loaf pan you use. It rises, but won't fill the whole pan.

Pam 07-12-2012 10:18 AM

Thanks, Widget :)

ericak44 07-12-2012 05:24 PM

This was delicious! I made it and used half olive oil and half coconut oil and flax. I could decrease the amt of oil a bit because the coconut oil is a bit heavy but it was delicious!

NancyBinLA 08-04-2012 11:10 AM

I have made this twice, it is absolutely wonderful! I made it in both a loaf pan and in a 9x9x pan, loved it both ways. Served it to non low carbers and they never knew, everyone loved it. Thank you so much for the recipe, now off to make my third batch.

Kateee 08-05-2012 06:31 AM

What is pork rind flour?

buttoni 08-05-2012 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kateee (Post 15850707)
What is pork rind flour?

Pork rinds that have been ground/processed until the result is a fine meal. Useful in baking and coating meats for baking/frying.

Tilly 08-12-2012 06:28 PM

Finally made this tonight. Love it! I used 1/2 flax and 1/2 pork rind flour. I added a few (homemade) chocolate chips. Then made this into muffins (portion control). It made 10 muffins and baked at 350 for 30 minutes. Very very good. I will definately be making this again. The only other change I want to make is get rid of the Splenda and use something else. Thanks!!!

ladeeda 08-12-2012 06:58 PM

Made this several times. Found it way wet til I reduced the oil to 1/4c; used 1/4c pork rind flour and 1/4c vanilla whey powder along with a cup of packed almond flour.(Flax may soak up more liquid than the pork rind flour) I like the texture best with a chunky puree of the grated zucchini. This has become my go to breakfast along with 1/2 Chocolate Egg Cream. Thank you, Widget:-)

NancyBinLA 08-12-2012 07:11 PM

I found it a bit wet also, until I really tried to get as much moisture out of the zucchini as possible. I shred it, then press it with paper towels, then actually wring it out. That has taken care of the moisture problem for me. I just love this, so much that now I can only make it every two weeks!

Widget 08-12-2012 07:53 PM

I think how wet it is might depend on how fine you grate the zucchini. I have one of those old Saladmaster crank-type graters that grates it into little stings, and it doesn't turn out wet. Maybe try not grating it so fine.

Snappykins 08-14-2012 04:44 AM

I made this last night. It is AMAZING. It replicates 'the real thing' wonderfully. I used the flax meal version- no problem with too much moisture. Only future change I would make is to add more spices- nutmeg, more cinn, etc..

ladeeda 08-14-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladeeda (Post 15868459)
Made this several times. Found it way wet til I reduced the oil to 1/4c; used 1/4c pork rind flour and 1/4c vanilla whey powder along with a cup of packed almond flour.(Flax may soak up more liquid than the pork rind flour) I like the texture best with a chunky puree of the grated zucchini. This has become my go to breakfast along with 1/2 Chocolate Egg Cream. Thank you, Widget:-)

I should add that I have been working with baseball bat sized zucchini. I peel and cut out the core...that may be why mine are less wet. I use a 7"x3'' foil pan. It makes a perfect loaf. (My sweeteners are 1/3c powdered erythritol, 2T xylitol & 1/16t Stevia ext powder)

MargD 08-20-2012 05:36 PM

I made this over the weekend and I just loved it! I used all flax and I got quite a bit of the moisture out of my zucchini before adding to the recipe. I wouldn't change a thing when I make it again. YUM!

Barbo 08-20-2012 11:24 PM

Widget

I love your recipes!

Do you think that this one can be doubled?

Widget 08-20-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 15887148)
I love your recipes!

Do you think that this one can be doubled?

Of course. You're just the person I want to talk to. If you were going to add more spices to this recipe besides just cinnamon, what would they be? I like this recipe a lot, but if it was jazzed up a little more I think it would be even better.

NancyBinLA 08-21-2012 08:43 AM

Freezing question - I would like to make this for my oldest sister, she has decided to eliminate wheat and sugar from her diet in hopes of improving her health. She doesn't really cook much or bake at all, so I thought this would be a good thing for her to have on hand. I have been using the cream cheese/butter type of frosting on mine, but I wondered if that would freeze well? Any advice appreciated.

Tilly 08-21-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyBinLA (Post 15887871)
Freezing question - I would like to make this for my oldest sister, she has decided to eliminate wheat and sugar from her diet in hopes of improving her health. She doesn't really cook much or bake at all, so I thought this would be a good thing for her to have on hand. I have been using the cream cheese/butter type of frosting on mine, but I wondered if that would freeze well? Any advice appreciated.

I'm not sure about the frosting part. I made mine into muffins and they froze wonderfully. But then, I don't frost mine, so not sure about that part.

NancyBinLA 08-21-2012 11:13 AM

Thanks Tilly - making it into muffins sounds like a great idea. I think I will make a batch, and frost one and see what happens.

Gabby1 08-21-2012 12:13 PM

OMG- this could not have come at a better time! We have tons of zucchini and zucchini bread is my husband's favorite! Plus he was just scrounging around for something bready... I can't wait to make this as a special treat for him! Thanks, Widget!

Tilly 08-21-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyBinLA (Post 15888332)
Thanks Tilly - making it into muffins sounds like a great idea. I think I will make a batch, and frost one and see what happens.

Let us know how it works out. :)

Widget 08-22-2012 11:21 AM

I have been cooking for 49 years, but have only been low carbing a little over a year. Before low carb, most of our desserts were store-bought so although I am pretty good at seasoning other dishes, the only thing I know about spices in desserts is pumpkin pie spice goes in pumpkin pie and cinnamon is good in some desserts. (I consider zucchini bread to be a dessert.) The zucchini bread tastes good, but I wanted more spice in it, so I baked some today and increased the cinnamon to 2 teaspoons.

The original recipe calls for 1 egg plus one yolk, but lately I have been using 2 eggs. It was still a little crumbly when slicing, so today I used 3 eggs. I also decreased the oil from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons. These 3 changes made a big improvement in the way it holds together and the taste. Next time I might get brave and try a tablespoon of cinnamon.

Tilly 08-22-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Widget (Post 15890838)
I have been cooking for 49 years, but have only been low carbing a little over a year. Before low carb, most of our desserts were store-bought so although I am pretty good at seasoning other dishes, the only thing I know about spices in desserts is pumpkin pie spice goes in pumpkin pie and cinnamon is good in some desserts. (I consider zucchini bread to be a dessert.) The zucchini bread tastes good, but I wanted more spice in it, so I baked some today and increased the cinnamon to 2 teaspoons.

The original recipe calls for 1 egg plus one yolk, but lately I have been using 2 eggs. It was still a little crumbly when slicing, so today I used 3 eggs. I also decreased the oil from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons. These 3 changes made a big improvement in the way it holds together and the taste. Next time I might get brave and try a tablespoon of cinnamon.

And/or a bit of nutmeg as well. Or Apple Pie spice or the Pumpkin spice.....

Barbo 08-22-2012 03:52 PM

THAnks Widget

I have my homegrown zukes all grated. I didn't know how finely
you grated them. I used the Cuisinart shredding blade. I squeezed
well and packed one cup. This year I planted Mexican zuchinni
instead of Italian. They are not bitter at all. I did peel and took
out the seeds in the larger one, but the smaller didn't need seed
removal.

As to the spices, I am going to use the cinnamon and nutmeg and
a dash of allspice. If you use powdered cloves just be careful not
to over do. First batch I am going to use a small loaf pan. Second
batch will be cupcakes (the kids next door love them).

You are a whiz bang with your use of almond flour and pork rind
flour in your desserts. I am going to used pecans as I am out of
walnuts.

Widget 08-22-2012 06:19 PM

I grate the zucchini into strings about the diameter of uncooked angel hair pasta. There is some liquid, but I don't drain it. I think some people were having trouble with it being too wet because there weren't enough eggs in the recipe. Using 3 eggs and not squeezing out the liquid would probably solve the problem, that works for me. I wonder if using 3 eggs and squeezing the liquid out of the zucchini would make it too dry. Don't know.

Barbo 08-23-2012 02:54 PM

The Zuchinni Cake

Is delicious. My tweaks were using pecans and using two extra large
eggs. I did a little squeeze on the squash, used 1/4 tsp. allspice,
and 1/4 tsp. nutmeg in addition to the cinnamon.

This is going to be doubled next time. It won't last here one day.

pocahontas 08-23-2012 07:36 PM

This is on my list for this weekend! :yummy: