Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Jiffy Bun and Jiffy Sandwich Bread (pics incl.)

JIFFY BUN

This bun is soft in texture and not spongey. It makes a good substitute for a hamburger bun. One can’t beat the convenience of making a hamburger bun in a jiffy. The photos don't do the bun justice. Sesame seeds will add to it's appeal, but unfortunately that one got eaten before I had a chance to photograph it. It tastes great - very neutral and quite bread-like. The sandwich bread is super as well. I could barely tell the difference from real bread when I made a sandwich. Try it and see if you like it too. One sandwich (2 slices) is all I could eat. It is very satiating and one does not crave more.

1 egg
1 tbsp mayonnaise (15 mL)
1 tsp coconut milk, OR heavy cream (5 mL)
1/8 tsp salt, optional (0.5 mL)
3 tbsp Gluten-Free Bake Mix, (45 mL)
page___
1/2 tsp baking powder (2 mL)

In cereal bowl (or better yet a round glass bowl that has a base and circumference that is more or less the same size), beat egg well with fork. Add mayonnaise, coconut milk, OR cream and salt, if using and mix well. Add Gluten-Free Bake Mix, page___ and baking powder. Whisk in well with fork for almost a minute. Tap bowl on counter to remove air bubbles.

Microwave 1 minute and 10 seconds. Immediately loosen sides and invert bun. Using a good, serrated bread knife, slice horizontally in two and allow to cool.

Yield: 1 serving
1 Jiffy bun
280.6 calories
9.9 g protein
23.8 g fat
5.6 g net carbs

Variations: Jiffy Sesame Seed Bun: Sprinkle top of batter with 1 tsp (5 mL) toasted sesame seeds and then microwave. (6.0 g carbs)

Jiffy Sandwich Bread: You will need a square 4-inch (10 cm) glass dish. Pour batter into greased dish and nuke 1 minute and 10 seconds. Remove, invert and carefully slice horizontally into two slices. This recipe makes 2 regular-sized, very tasty bread slices and it also toasts quite well. Great for a sandwich.
One slice: 2.8 g carbs.

Helpful Hints: The bun should be dry when inverted; i.e. no wet, soft spots in the center. My microwave oven is a powerful one and runs hot, so your times may differ quite a bit depending on the wattage of your microwave oven. If your bun is still wet underneath, stick it in the microwave oven in 10 second intervals until it is dry. Ian likes to use these as open-faced hamburger buns. He puts a hamburger patty on each buttered half with all the trimmings and declares he is very satiated after such a meal. Of course, he adds bacon, cheese, tomato, lettuce, ketchup and skips the mustard.

Toast sesame seeds in dry nonstick frying pan. Keep sesame seeds in freezer in sealed container. You may also use them on top of the Artisan Hamburger Buns (Improved), page___.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dixie Barkley
WOW! Can't wait to try this recipe. By the way, I love your placemats. Especially the one in the last picture.
Dixie Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Really looks good, Jen. The mayo sounds intriguing. Bet it keeps it moist. And this one's easy enough for me even! LOL
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Thanks Jen, I will be trying this soon!!! Love these quick and easy recipes with few ingredients. You're making this way of eating so easy for us!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Thanks Jen ! It looks really good . I need to feel better to try some of these new recipes.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kemi
Stats: 187/145/140
WOE: HCG
Start Date: April 2012
I'm pretty new here. This recipe sound wonderful. Could you tell me what the gluten free bake mix is?
Kemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Dixie.

Ah, Peggy, you're joking; you're such a pro in the kitchen.

Gina - yay! Glad you will try this one too. I will work on the animal crackers for you soon.

Esther, get better soon.

Kemi, I will post the Gluten-Free Bake Mix for you.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SPLENDID GLUTEN-FREE BAKE MIX

Almond flour versus almond meal produces slight differences. Since my husband is merely intolerant of gluten, we use oat flour by Arrowhead Mills®. * 1/4 Cup almond meal = 28 g. 1 cup Gluten-Free Bake Mix (almond meal) = 134 g.

1 2/3 cups almond flour, OR (400 mL; 182 g)
(I use almond meal* – yield is greater with
almond flour by up to 1/2 cup (125 mL) more,
so then carbs would be 4.8 g – bonus!)
3/4 cup certified GF oat flour (175 ml; 100 g)
2 tbsp sifted coconut flour, (30 mL; 20 g)
(Bob’s Red Mill®, not Legacy Valley®)
3/4 tsp xanthan gum (3 mL – measure!)

In large bowl, combine almond flour, OR almond meal, oat flour (if you are intolerant to gluten-free oat flour then substitute another gluten-free flour like sorghum flour which others have had success with in the bake mix), coconut flour and xanthan gum. In container with airtight lid, place bake mix and shake the container well to combine. When measuring oat flour (not necessary with the other ingredients) into measuring cup, make sure to tap the cup on the counter top and fill to the top to get the correct yield for the bake mix. Keep bake mix at room temperature for up to one month or freeze for much longer storage.

Instructions: Substitute 1/4 cup (60 mL) additional bake mix when substituting for 1 cup (250 mL) or more than 1 cup (250 mL) flour in recipes and use 2 tbsp (30 mL) more if substituting for less than 1 cup (250 mL). Always begin by adding an extra egg in muffins, loaves, cakes and coffee cakes, except for cookies and except if bake mix required is less than or equal to 1 cup (250 mL). Withhold a quarter of the liquid/wet/fat ingredients; add in as needed (usually need it all). If batter after processing at least a minute is still too thick, add more of the liquid ingredients and if accidentally the batter ends up too sloppy, then add a little more bake mix. If all the liquid has been used and the batter is still too stiff, add another egg and another if necessary. Baking experience is helpful.

Great in muffins, loaves (with eggs!), cookies, squares or bars, coffee cakes, many cakes, pie crusts and a few other specialized applications, but will not be suitable for all applications, nor for most yeast applications. Xanthan gum has gluten-like properties, binding ingredients together to prevent crumbly outcomes.

My Alternate Bake Mixes (not gluten-free): When substituting the Splendid Gluten-Free bake mix for some of my other bake mixes, 2 tbsp (30 mL) to 1/4 cup (60 mL) more bake mix may be required depending on if one is replacing less than 1 cup (250 mL) or 1 cup (250 mL) or more (last 2, latter amount). Follow the same rules above. It is convenient to double or triple this bake mix.

Yield: 2 1/2 cups (625 mL)
1/4 cup (60 mL) per serving
125.7 calories
4.5 g protein
8.9 g fat
5.7 g carbs
Old 05-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Jennifer. Unfortunately, I do not any type flour except almond and coconut, no grains at all.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You can try my recipes with my Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix in that case:

You would need a bit less for most recipes but the one above is probably okay as written. See instructions below the Gluten-Free Bake Mix - just reverse engineer it for substituting this bake mix.

SPLENDID LOW-CARB BAKE MIX™

This tasty bake mix guarantees a low-carb result in your baking. Regular sugar and white flour recipes will have carbs reduced by about 75% to 85% or more, if Low-Carb Bake Mix is substituted for white flour and SPLENDA® Granular is used to substitute for sugar and high-carb dairy is changed to low-carb, etc.

1 2/3 cups ground almonds (400 mL)
2/3 cup vanilla whey protein* (150 mL)
2/3 cup vital wheat gluten (150 mL)
{I used 80%, however 75% will work
well in most recipes. Bob’s Red Mill
vital wheat gluten (75%) is very good
quality} *This recipe will be referred
to as Low-Carb Bake Mix in recipes.

In large bowl, combine ground almonds, vanilla whey protein and vital wheat gluten. Use a large wooden spoon to stir and mix well. See Helpful Hints below for instructions on how to use this bake mix. Store in a closed container at room temperature. Shake container to ensure ingredients are combined well.

To use this bake mix: For every cup of flour in your recipe, replace with l cup (250 mL) of Low-Carb Bake Mix, PLUS 2 tbsp (25 mL). The aforementioned rules apply also to replacing any of the Ultimate Bake Mixes from my previous cookbooks (which are a cup-for-cup substitution for all-purpose flour) as well as Vital Ultimate Bake Mixes, page 66 with this bake mix.

Once again, always add liquid cautiously to your own recipes that you wish to de-carb. Sometimes as much as 1/2 cup (125 mL) less wet ingredients (this includes ingredients such as butter, olive oil, applesauce, pumpkin, water, yogurt, sour cream, cream, etc.) will be required. Typically, most of the time, it is 1/4 cup (50 mL) wet ingredients that will need to be omitted from your regular recipe.

Helpful Hints: If very slightly coarser ground almonds (still almond flour) are used, the total yield for this bake mix is 1/3 cup (75 mL) more than the 3 cups (750 mL) one would expect. If one chooses to see the yield as 3 cups (750 mL), the carbs increase slightly to 3.7 g. I only recently understood why this occurs, however, the recipes will not be adversely affected as differences are very slight.
*If the application for this bake mix is for savory baking, it is possible to replace vanilla whey protein powder with natural whey protein powder, if desired.

Ground hazelnuts or pecans may be used instead. This bake mix is useful for piecrusts, muffins, loaves, many cakes, cookies and squares, some cooking applications and it guarantees lower carbs as well.

Yield: 3 1/3 cups (825 mL)
1/3 cup (75 mL) per serving
162.9 calories
14.3 g protein
10.3 g fat
3.3 g carbs
Old 05-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I'm a bit confused. Hate to keep asking questions but I still see vital wheat gluten in the recipe which is a no-no for me. Also, I never use Splenda. Sorry for being so difficult.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's okay. I understand. Some time after posting it, I thought you might not want the vital wheat gluten - it is 75% protein, but nowadays I myself think my Gluten-Free Bake Mix is healthier. The oat flour is very much diluted and helps the baking taste normal. Even Dr. William Davis who wrote Wheat Belly mentioned that oat flour was okay. What he didn't know is that it is possible to get certified gluten-free oat flour by Bob's Red Mill. Netrition sells it.

You could experiment with your fave "flours" in these Jiffy recipes because they use so little bake mix. Hope you find something that helps you in your low-carb arsenal. I know you're not the only one who no longer finds my bake mixes useful, however, there are many people like me who do moderate low-carbing, sometimes combined with JUDD or Intermittent Fasting, and with those particular ways of combining low-carbing, one doesn't actually have to be quite as strict. I have been on both sides of the spectrum - strictly low-carbing (no flour - but used my Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix with VWG) to the point of mostly using the Fat Fast (my triglycerides were amazing!!) and my blood work was fine, but it was not sustainable and later I realized why I had difficulty losing weight at a very low-carb level. With Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, I actually need some carbs (50 to 100 grams a day), otherwise I don't lose weight and I don't even feel well. One doesn't even have to have Hashi's to have this phenomenon, however, most people do adjust. The reason for this is my Hashi's at a very low-carb level will hurt my metabolism as I will not be able to turn T4 into enough T3 necessary for the metabolism. Instead I turn it into reverse T3, which even robs me of more T3 and my hair gets thinner as well.

Everyone is different and some people need to be very strict to maintain their weight loss or just because it is what works for them. Fortunately, most of the authors with whom I share the cookbooks, Low-Carbing Among Friends, are very strict low-carbers, so there is something for everyone.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

P.S. With regard to Splenda, you can use your stevia or whatever you normally like to sweeten your recipes. Splenda offers no real volume to the baking. I encourage people to use their own sweeteners. Choosing a sweetener is a very personal thing.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Jennifer. Lots of good info. I did buy the book and love the recipes. There are quite a few with Splenda though. Thing is, I don't know how to convert Splenda into erythritol or xylitol or Stevia (which I don't care for). I need recipes that spell it out exactly for me as I am not very good with conversions.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kemi, Maria wrote something out for us. I'll see if I can find it for you. Glad you have our book.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here you go, Kemi

Sweeteners:
If I was replacing Splenda, I would use a combination of erythritol and stevia, like Steviva Blend or Truvia (they taste great) or I would use a combination of erythritol and xylitol. Xylitol one can use cup for cup, but erythritol is 70% as sweet as sugar and Splenda gets used cup for cup to replace sugar. I don't exactly know how to give you a conversion there offhand. You can't use too much erythritol or you get a cooling effect. Swerve is a nice product out there - erythritol without the cooling effect.

Glycemic Index of Sweeteners
Stevia Glycerite = 0
Erythritol = 0
Truvia/ZSWEET = 0
JUST LIKE SUGAR = 0
Xylitol = 7
Maple Syrup = 54
Honey = 62
Table Sugar = 68
High Fructose Corn Syrup = 100

My recipes will call for erythritol and stevia glycerite. I use these separate to help keep my costs down.
In any recipe you can use ZSweet, Truvia, Organic Zero, Xylitol or Just Like Sugar. In order to use
a different product, use the same amount of sweetener for the amount of erythritol in the recipe
and omit the stevia (except for Organic Zero, that is only erythritol and you will still need stevia
for sweetness).

1 cup erythritol and 1 tsp stevia = 1 cup ZSweet
1 cup erythritol and 1 tsp stevia = 1 cup Truvia
1 cup erythritol and 1 tsp stevia = 1 cup Xylitol
1 cup erythritol and 1 tsp stevia = 1 cup Just Like Sugar
1 cup erythritol and 1 tsp stevia = 1 cup Organic Zero and 1 tsp stevia

o STEVIA GLYCERITE = Stevia glycerite is a favorite of many people. It is an herb that has been used as a sweetener in South America for hundreds of years. One tip is to look for “stevia glycerite;” which has no bitter aftertaste as compared to plain “stevia. It is widely used all over the world. In Japan, it claims 58% of the sweetener market, and was used in Japanese Diet Coke until the company replaced it with aspartame to "standardize" worldwide.
CALORIES = 0
SWEETNESS/CONVERSION = 300 times sweeter than sugar
CONVERSION = 1 tsp of stevia = 1 cup of sugar
WHY I USE IT = It is great for cooking, because it maintains flavor that many other sweeteners lose when heated, but it also needs an additional sweetener in most cases when making baked goods since it doesn't caramelize or create "bulk."
BENEFITS OF STEVIA
1. WEIGHT LOSS and DIABETICS: It does not affect blood sugar metabolism. This makes it a great tool in weight loss programs, but it also for diabetics. Stevia creates a hypoglycemic effect and increases glucose tolerance. It significantly decreases plasma glucose levels. In multiple human studies, blood sugar is reduced by 35% 6-8 hours after consumption of a hot water extract of the leaf.
2. BLOOD PRESSURE: Stevia extract is a vasodilator agent. Studies show that a mix of hot water and extract from the leaf lowers both systolic and diastolic blood pressure. Several studies demonstrated this hypotensive action (as well as a diuretic action).
3. ANTI-BACTERIAL/ANTI-YEAST: has anti-bacterial properties in that it helps to inhibit the growth and reproduction of harmful bacteria that lead to disease. It helps prevent dental cavities by inhibiting the bacteria Streptococcus mutans that stimulates plaque growth. It also has vasodilatory activity and is effective for various skin issues, such as acne, heat rash, and problems caused by insufficient blood circulation.
4. CANCER: It keeps your body in a ketogenic state so you can starve the cancer of sugar on which cancer feeds upon
UNDESIRED PROPERTIES = It doesn't create a "caramelized" cookie, or "bulk" in baked goods, which is why I add erythritol.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 05-24-2012 at 03:21 PM..
Old 05-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Oh my goodness, Jennifer. You are amazing! I could kiss you. Thank you so very much.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL You are very welcome.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Jennifer, I just checked Swerve out, sounds great. I had never heard of it. Is there really no aftertaste? I noticed that it comes in granular and powder. Should I get one of each or are they interchangeable? Do you know the conversion measurements for it?
Old 05-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Carolyn of All Day I Dream About Food loves it. If you check out her blog, you will find some info on it. She says there is no cooling effect.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerikay
WOE: Low GI
Start Date: Jan. 2007
I just made a breakfast sandwich with this bread. Very good! I went by recipe, except I used sour cream instead of mayo. I was afraid I would taste the mayo. I toasted it lightly on my George Foreman grill.
jerikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LNXlady
Has anyone tried the bake mix without the xanthum gum? The msg in the xanthum gum, guar gum, and protein powder gives me migraines but I can't find a gluten-free bake mix that doesn't include them.
LNXlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LNXlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemi View Post
Jennifer, I just checked Swerve out, sounds great. I had never heard of it. Is there really no aftertaste? I noticed that it comes in granular and powder. Should I get one of each or are they interchangeable? Do you know the conversion measurements for it?
I use the Swerve and like it a lot. It's expensive, though. The powdered is a sub for confectioners sugar, so you probably want the granular. It comes loose and in packets. We have high humidity and the packets tend to clump so I prefer the loose. The loose comes in a ziplock bag or a plastic jar. I can't detect any aftertaste at all. I think if you used a lot of it, there might be some cooling affect. I don't like things very sweet and haven't noticed the effect in anything so far.
LNXlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Made this for tonight's grilled hamburgers. Can't wait to eat it! SO easy!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

I made this today for my hotdog with onions and mustard.

I made a hotdog roll .
Old 05-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Could you blend old fashioned oatmeal to a fine powder and call it flour in place of Bob's Red Mill?
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Nope, I cannot use any type of grain.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Kemi, I was asking the OP, Jennifer, or anyone else if this would work.
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, Vicki, you can do that. It will be a more coarse flour, but by the next day the moisture in the baked goods would have softened it.

Is oat flour hard to come by in the States? I can get it here at an ordinary grocery store. Netrition sells certified gluten free oat flour by Bob's Red Mill.

I made a chicken mayo sandwich the other day. I let the bread cool down and dry out a bit. Very tasty and really not bad as a "bread" sub.

Esther, how did you make the hot dog bun. What did you use? Curious me. How did you like it. I think I want to do that as well. Been ages and ages since I had a hot dog. lol
Old 05-31-2012, 04:17 PM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Jen I have a picture I'll put it up for you.