Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Jiffy Flexible Microwave Tortillas

JIFFY FLEXIBLE MICROWAVE TORTILLAS
This recipe is so much easier than the one I provided in Low-Carbing Among Friends, volume-1. I think it tastes better too. Wraps are such a good meal any time of day. Yep, you can even make a breakfast wrap with scrambled eggs, cooked tomato and sausage and cheese, and, oh yes, don't forget the mayonnaise or sour cream to seal the tortilla and a bit extra if you love it like I do. I remember a few years ago (actually quite a few years now) when wraps became the trendy thing to eat.

1 egg
1 tsp olive oil (5 mL)
1/3 cup Gluten-Free Bake Mix, (75 mL)
page___
1/3 cup ground almonds, OR (75 mL)
almond flour
1/8 tsp xanthan gum (0.5 mL)
1/8 tsp salt, OR to taste (0.5 mL)

In small bowl, whisk egg and olive oil well. Add Gluten-Free Bake Mix, page___, ground almonds, OR almond flour, xanthan gum and salt. Whisk well with fork until a sticky dough forms. Measure 2 dough balls, weighing about 12.5 oz (70 g) each.

Between two pieces of parchment paper, press ball out with hands and continue rolling out with rolling pin (a small one works well; mine has a rod with two rollers on either end, one smaller and one bigger) and use hands to press out where necessary, to make a nice circular shape. Don’t roll it too thin; more or less even thickness.

Nuke approximately 40 seconds (this timing will vary greatly from microwave to microwave).*

Now I usually add fillings to the tortillas such as cooked, warm ground beef mixed with salsa, add in some cheese and I like mayonnaise (weird, I know, but tasty), or sour cream and these act as the glue to keep the tortilla closed. Next I fry the loaded tortilla in light olive oil in a nonstick skillet until browned on both sides. (Use 2 spatulas to carefully turn the tortilla.)

Helpful Hints: *Everyone’s microwave oven will be a bit different. Mine is huge and powerful. If by accident you overcook this tortilla when first trying to figure out the correct timing (you will know if you did because when you fold it, it will crack), simply continue cooking until you have a nice big, crispy cracker. No ingredients will be wasted. The cracker is especially good spread with Healthy Butter, page___ and peanut butter. I have made this using only the Gluten-Free Bake Mix, and it was good as well, but the carbs are 7.9 g carbs per tortilla and that would be too much for some folks; considered moderate carb at that level for a tortilla.

Yield: 2 tortillas
1 serving
231.2 calories
9.4 g protein
18.6 g fat
5.3 g carbs
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
This looks great..
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
OMG those look very good Jen. I need to peel my tongue off my screen. Haven't had any lunch today. Wasn't hungry until just now. LOL I usually won't make such things from scratch, lazy soul that I am. But these do sound simple. Wonder if I could add a splash of my corn flavoring and get a corn tortilla taste?
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I'm sitting here eating a chicken salad wrap ala Jennifer. This literally took me 2 minutes to make and was so easy!! It's very tasty, the wrap has such a nutral taste that's perfect for any and all types of fillings. I just rolled it out stuck it in the micro for 40 seconds like you said, filled it with chicken salad and it's staying together just as well as any store bought wrap but no funny tastes with this one!!

This is a must try!! Im going to make up a bunch to keep in the fridge..these would be great for breakfast wraps also!!

Thank you so much Jennifer!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #5

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Oh, my!! This looks fabulous!! Thank you so much for posting Jennifer.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Oh, thanks so much for the first-hand "ease of prep" feedback, Gina. I may just have to break down and make these one day (on an UP day, of course).
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
Jen, mL is used for liquid measurements, not dry. Dry is measured in grams, pounds and ounces.
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

You're welcome Buttoni. I made up a triple batch of these so now they are all prepared for the week. I used dry egg white powder in place of the eggs. Love these!!
Old 05-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
Oh boy a gotta make these.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #10

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Oh man, these look fabulous! Can't wait until I am out of P2 to try them! I can't remember the last time I had a tortilla because I don't like the ingredients in any of the ones you can buy. These, I would definitely eat.
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
You're welcome Buttoni. I made up a triple batch of these so now they are all prepared for the week. I used dry egg white powder in place of the eggs. Love these!!
This is a great idea. How much powder did you use. TIA.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerikay
WOE: Low GI
Start Date: Jan. 2007
Jennifer-these look great! Can't wait to try the recipe. I have a tortilla press that will make this even easier!

Ginaaa... also want to know the amount of egg white powder and did you add a liquid?

Thanks!

Last edited by jerikay; 05-21-2012 at 01:47 PM..
jerikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

I added 2 tsp egg white powder, plus 2 tbsp water. The directions are on the back of the can.

I ate one for lunch with chicken salad again. I warmed it for a few seconds in the microwave first so it wouldn't crack. I'm loving these!!

I put paper towel between each one to keep them from sticking together and store them in a ziplock bag in the fridge. I'm sure they could be frozen too.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #14

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I'm sure they could be frozen too.
I was wondering about that. That would be great.
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gina, thank you for testing these and your variation sounds interesting, although I don't get egg white powder over here. Good to know it works with that, although an entire egg is probably closer to just over 3 tbsp of wet ingredients. What is the advantage of egg white powder over an egg? Curious me. Longer shelf life? By the way, I was thrilled to read that you tried them and liked them! Thanks!

My microwave oven is a Panasonic, 1200 Watts. I just looked last night - there the information was on the front of my microwave oven. I always assumed it would be at the back, which would mean the way I have it placed in my kitchen - hauling it out of it's spot and that would be tricky as the wire goes through the back of a cupboard. LOL Anyway there you go - 1200 watts.

Jeri, I have never heard of a tortilla press. That's really cool. Let me know how that works with this recipe.

Grey, technically, you are correct. However, it's the way it is done with all cookbooks that offer the metric measurements for other countries - to offer the volume measurements with cups and teaspoons, etc. and with weights, say 4 oz of butter - to say 125 g - technically, even that is not perfectly correct - my calculater says 113.4 Who knows who came up with all these rules; we are just copying other books, Like those of Jean Pare in Canada, and my first cookbook which went through Centax Publishing in Saskatchewan and my second which was published through the largest publisher in Canada - Macmillan Canada which was later taken over by an American company, I think.

Peggy, if you do have my bake mix on hand, you should try it. So easy. However, since you don't have to be gluten-free, easy enough to pick up a commercial brand. Only problem with those is that for whatever reason, the sodium levels are through the roof with most of the brands; probably for preservative reasons.

Thanks, guys, for your kind responses. I hope some of you find this a useful recipe. I think I'll be making these for some time, unless I come up with something better. I should post this in the gluten-free room soon.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Jennifer, I keep the egg white powder on hand for times when I run out of fresh eggs and thanks for bringing it to my attention the liquid amount being closer to 3 tbsp.

These have such a neutral taste and that is the reason I like them so well, and also the fact that I know what's in them unlike store bought. They do crack a bit especially today, two days later but now that I know about the liquid amounts that could be the reason for the cracking. It doesn't affect the taste any and I just keep it wrapped in a paper towel and it holds together well enough while eating. Next time I will try it with real eggs.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey, you're welcome, Gina. I think if one keeps the tortillas in the fridge - and then one reheats them, etc., they may be more prone to cracking. Fresh, they work fine. Just guessing, however, you never know if you add a bit more liquid. Apparently one large egg = 3 1/4 tbsp 1 tbsp = 3 tsp, so that would be 3 tbsp plus 3/4 tsp water equivalent.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Jennifer..I think next time I will just try them using real eggs. the cracking doesn't really bother me, it doesn't all fall apart, just some cracks which tor me is no big deal. I am loving these just the same.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
So want to make these! Jen, have you made these with your "regular" LC Bake Mix (not GF)? If not, do you think I could substitute coconut flour for the oat flour? ... or something?
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think it might work with the regular low-carb bake mix.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here's another wrap I made today with the filling photographed next to it. I'll type up the recipe soon. That is a normal-sized dinner plate.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Re the xanthan gum

Don't be tempted to skip it - you won't have a flexible tortilla without it. Just saying...
Old 05-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #23

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Oh, yum!!! Thanks again Jen!!!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You're welcome, Dawn.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Chicken Quesadillas: I've already typed this one up. I'll do the other one later when I have some time. For now, this is a nice one:

CHICKEN QUESADILLAS

These are made with the Jiffy Flexible Microwave Tortillas on page___ . Very tasty and filling. One of these with a simple salad makes a good lunch and two of these will ensure that you won’t be hungry for hours and hours! These are very similar in taste and texture to whole wheat tortillas. Recipe will be appearing in volume 2 of Low-Carbing Among Friends. These were actually made with tortillas using all Gluten-Free Bake Mix and you can see they are a bit thicker and more doughy than the others and are more whole-wheaty in taste. I definitely think I prefer the lighter ones (mix of GF bake mix and ground almonds or almond flour) and they get slightly crispy when you fry them in the pan. Yum!

2 cups cooked, diced chicken (500 mL)
1/3 cup salsa (75 mL)
2 tbsp mayonnaise (30 mL)
1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese (250 mL)
Tortillas, page___

In medium bowl, combine chicken, salsa and mayonnaise; stir to combine. Stir in Monterey Jack Cheese.

Follow directions for Tortillas, page___. In lightly-oiled, nonstick frying pan, place cooked tortilla. Cook very briefly (about 45 seconds), flip and place filling in the center. Fold over from both sides to the center to cover filling. Continue to cook briefly, add a bit more oil if necessary to the pan, and carefully flip again using 2 spatulas; cook until browned and crispy on the other side as well. Serve immediately while warm or keep them warm in a low oven until all the wraps are made.

Yield: 4 servings
1 wrap plus filling
580.0 calories
54.7 g protein
35.5 g fat
7.0 g net carbs
Old 05-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My Microwave oven is a Panasonic 1200 Watts.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Just a simple tuna salad wrap. You can see the cracks but tell ya what it stayed together through to the end. I hope that didn't sound too sappy..this is just food after all. lol

Old 05-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No, not too sappy. LOL Your recipe turned out great too, Gina.

In the beginning, I did try to make my tortilla with an egg white but it cracked way more than yours did with the egg white powder and water - a whole piece cracked off.

That's when I decided to use a whole egg and xanthan gum. It worked.

I want to share my Jiffy Cracker soon and Jiffy "Animal" crackers - tastes like it anyway. Just very busy-busy! TTYL
Old 05-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
OOOOOOOOOO

These look lovely Jennifer and Gina . I can't wait to try them.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

I warm it up for about 20 seconds before using that seems to help with the dryness although they're not too dry while eating. I know using a whole egg will make them a lot more durable too. They are a hit with me Jen!!

Now I will wait patiently for the animal crackers..