Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KCSoccer
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: August 2010
Southwest Shredded Beef Recipe

I made this in the slow cooker, cooked on HIGH for 6 hours. It was slightly spicy, but not too hot. I used only 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 cup onions and omitted the beer. My son (who does not eat LC) ate this in flour tortillas like a burrito. DH and I ate it in bowls topped with sour cream and guacamole. Yummy!

Southwest Shredded Beef, AKA, “Jan’s Thermonuclear Sloppy Joes”

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 to 31/2 pound boneless chuck roast, cut into 11/2 inch chunks
2 cups chopped yellow onion
6 or 7 cloves of fresh garlic, chopped
1 cup beer (preferably a heartier ale, such as an amber ale)
2 (141/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (I don’t usually recommend a brand, but RO-TEL is the one you want in this case, if possible)
1 cup pickled jalapeno slices, chopped
1 (7 ounce) can diced green chiles
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
4 tablespoons cumin powder
2 tablespoons chile powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Onion or Kaiser Rolls (or whatever bun you prefer)
About 2 to 3 cups shredded sharp Cheddar
Shredded lettuce

Heat olive oil over medium high heat in large heavy-bottomed oven-proof pot or Dutch oven. Add just enough beef to cover the bottom of the pot, don’t crowd it or the meat will not brown properly. Brown the meat thoroughly on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and add another batch of beef, continuing to brown until all of the meat has been browned.

Add the onion and garlic and cook over medium heat until softened and golden, about 3 minutes.

Deglaze the pan with the beer, stirring up all of the cooked-on bits of meat and caramelized juices. Add the 2 cans of diced tomatoes, the can of diced tomatoes with green chiles, the pickled jalapenos, diced green chiles, cilantro, cumin, chile powder, salt and pepper.

Bring the liquid to a boil, then cover with lid and bake in 325-degree oven for 2 to 3 hours, or until meat is very tender.

Using two forks, stir through the meat mixture, shredding/pulling at the chunks of beef to loosen up the pieces and create a sort of chunky-shredded mixture. At this point, if it seems to liquidy for what you plan to use it for, return to heat and simmer off some of the liquid.

If not using right away, then cool down the mixture and refrigerate or freeze. (For freezer storage, pack into appropriate-sized freezer containers and freeze for up to nine months; longer is OK, but quality will begin to suffer). When ready to pack into thermos, reheat mixture to boiling, and simmer about 5 minutes to thoroughly heat (or microwave on HIGH until hot and bubbly).

Read more: Recipe: Southwest Shredded Beef
KCSoccer is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links