Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PDBoy
Stats: 283/240/185
WOE: South Beach bordering on Atkins
Start Date: 07/19/2008
Candied Jalapenos (Cowboy Candy) Help

I'm looking to make this recipe Low Carb and am open to any suggestions/help.

Ingredients

3 pounds Firm, Fresh Jalapeno Peppers, Washed
2 cups Cider Vinegar
6 cups White Granulated Sugar *
˝ teaspoons Turmeric
˝ teaspoons Celery Seed
3 teaspoons Granulated Garlic
1 teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper

Preparation Instructions

Wearing gloves, remove the stems from all of the jalapeno peppers. The easiest way to do this is to slice a small disc off of the stem-end along with the stem. Discard the stems.

Slice the peppers into uniform 1/8-1/4 inch rounds. Set aside.

In a large pot, bring cider vinegar, white sugar, turmeric, celery seed, granulated garlic and cayenne pepper to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the pepper slices and simmer for exactly 4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the peppers, loading into clean, sterile canning jars to within 1/4 inch of the upper rim of the jar. Turn heat up under the pot with the syrup and bring to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 6 minutes.

Use a ladle to pour the boiling syrup into the jars over the jalapeno slices. Insert a cooking chopstick to the bottom of the jar two or three times to release any trapped pockets of air. Adjust the level of the syrup if necessary. Wipe the rims of the jars with a clean, damp paper towel and fix on new, two-piece lids to finger-tip tightness.

If you do not want to can these to the point of shelf stable, you can simply put the jars in your refrigerator and store them there. I prefer to keep the fridge space free so I can them. If you wish to can them, follow the instructions below.

Note: If you have leftover syrup, and it is likely that you will, you may can it in half-pint or pint jars, too. It’s wonderful brushed on meat on the grill or added to potato salad or, or, or … in short, don’t toss it out!

To can, place jars in a canner and cover with water by 2-inches. Bring the water to a full rolling boil. When it reaches a full rolling boil, set the timer for 10 minutes for half-pints or 15 minutes for pints. When timer goes off, use canning tongs to transfer the jars to a cooling rack. Leave them to cool, undisturbed, for 24 hours. When fully cooled, wipe them with a clean, damp washcloth, then label.

Allow to mellow for at least two weeks, but preferably a month before eating. Or don’t. I won’t tell!

* For the sweetners I have the following available:
- EZ-Sweet
- Splenda (grandulated)
- Splenda (Quick pak)

Which one would work best with this recipe? Will any of them develop into a syrup or will I need to add something?

TIA for your help,

PDBoy
PDBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I don't think any of those forms of sucralose with actually turn syrupy like sugar would. I might try it with some Diabetisweet or Erythritol though, and you can mix some of the EZSweets in with it, like maybe half to 3/4 of one of those two and enough EZSweets to make it up to the full sugar equivalence.

BUT I'll tell you what I do that is WAY easier - I save the juice from a jar of either Vlasic or Mt. Olive SF bread & butter pickles, then drain a jar or can of pickled jalapeno slices and place them into the jar of syrup, put on the lid, and shake it gently to get them all into the liquid. Refrigerate a couple weeks so that they get the full flavor. We LOVE those things.

You could certainly add the cayenne pepper to it also if you wanted to punch the heat up a bit more.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
What bothers me about this recipe is I've canned lots of pickled jalapenos and bread and butter pickles but I always soak the veggies in a ice bath or just under ice before canning to keep them from being mushy. This recipe has nothing about that.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
He you seen this recipe? I know it's not exactly what you are looking for.
Three Pepper Jelly Lisa
8-10 canned pickled jalapeno peppers OR about 3/4 cup if dicing sliced peppers
1 tbsp. butter
8 ounces canned diced green chilies
1 1/4 cup erythritol
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
3 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. liquid stevia
1 1/2 tbsp. Ball No Sugar Pectin
Finely chop the pickled jalapeno peppers in a food processor. Heat the butter in a medium saucepan. Stir in the chopped jalapenos and the green chilies. Coat well and saute 2-3 minutes. Add the erythritol, vinegar, water, lemon juice, chili powder and liquid stevia. Stir over medium heat to dissolve sweetener. Heat to boiling. Remove from heat and gradually stir in the powdered pectin. Return pan to heat to resume boil. When the mixture boils, remove from heat and pour into three clean jelly jars. Seal and cool.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
That looks like a good recipe Soobee, may try that myself. I would recommend using powdered erythritol or at least giving it a good whirl in a coffee grinder to help keep it from recrystallizing.

I would like to find a recipe for a low-carb version of the Harry & David Onion & Pepper Relish. My husband loves the dip you make with it and cream cheese.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdcri
Stats: 236/135 (GB in 2009)... now 160.8/152.8/125
WOE: Low carb - nothing specific
Start Date: March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
That looks like a good recipe Soobee, may try that myself. I would recommend using powdered erythritol or at least giving it a good whirl in a coffee grinder to help keep it from recrystallizing.

I would like to find a recipe for a low-carb version of the Harry & David Onion & Pepper Relish. My husband loves the dip you make with it and cream cheese.
I googled and found this: this is the recipe with original persons notes my suggestions are next to them in bold)

Onion Pepper Relish

36 oz canned diced tomatoes, drained (I used 2 1/2 14.5 oz cans)
3 bell peppers, seeds and ribs removed (I used one green, one yellow, and one orange)
3 cups sugar (I used pure cane sugar called Rapadura, it keeps your blood sugar levels from spiking!) (use a mix of sf sweeteners - be sure to include at least half erythritol or truvia, or diabetisweet or poly d, xylitol etc to get the syrup effect)
1 Tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
3 jalapeno peppers, seeds and ribs removed
1-1/2 medium onions
1 cup white vinegar
1 small box powdered pectin (1.75 oz, found in canning supplies of most stores) (I would use the low sugar pectin or try gelatin)

Chop all vegetables. This is the hardest part of the whole recipe, the rest is a breeze. A food processor makes the chopping go much quicker.

Mix everything together, except for pectin, in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about one hour. Add the pectin and let boil for 1 minute.

Pour relish into half pint jars, leaving about 1/2 inch room. Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, or freeze for up to 2 months. Or, if you are into canning, this would be the ideal recipe
jdcri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post

I think a pretty good substitute is the Trinity Hills Sweet Thai Chile Sauce. There is another brand I tried and it is much spicier. I cannot recall but will post when I get home.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gina7657
Stats: XX-LARGE/LARGE/SMALL
WOE: Atkins10/27/02
Start Date: 2/3/13
omg......if you get a recipe that works please post .
gina7657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PDBoy
Stats: 283/240/185
WOE: South Beach bordering on Atkins
Start Date: 07/19/2008
Success

I'm making my 4th batch of these today.

For sweetner, I chose to use regular sweet & low powder. It did not make the thick syrup of the original recipe, but the flavor was great!

I chose to cut the peppers 1/4" + thick and keep the seeds. With the seeds, they are too hot to eat by themselves but work great with other foods.

My favorite use for them is to put a couple on a deviled egg.

PDBoy
PDBoy is offline   Reply With Quote