Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdcri
Stats: 236/135 (GB in 2009)... now 160.8/152.8/125
WOE: Low carb - nothing specific
Start Date: March 2012
Best Stevia...

Ok so typically I really dislike stevia - I think truvia is bitter. But I see a lot of recipes that call for it and I am willing to use it in conjunction with other sweeteners. Which brand do you prefer and why - and is it neccesary to have powdered vs liquid or both....

Thanks ladies (and guys!!)!! I have been so lucky to have you all to lean on with questions!!
jdcri is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dixie Barkley
I am with you. I have never found a stevia product I liked. I know it is good to use but I just can't get past the taste.
Dixie Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
NuNaturals is supposed to be the best-tasting stevia. Google Lauren's Healthy Indulgences blog and you'll see she really likes it and uses it a lot in her recipes, in conjunction with other sweeteners.

For a good-tasting outcome, I've had the most success using a combo of Sweetzfree (liquid Splenda) and Erythritol. I don't like either of them by themselves, but they seem to cancel out each other's aftertastes pretty well. I generally use about 18 drops of Sweetzfree with 1/4 cup E to replace one cup of sugar/sweetener.

I tried Truvia in some almond flour cookies last week, and I still got too much of the "cooling effect" of the erythritol for my taste, although the sweetness level was good. I'll be going back to my Sweetzfree/E combo for the next batch. (I make a lot of SF, grain-free cookies for my granddaughter.)
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one

Last edited by theredhead; 05-14-2012 at 07:42 AM..
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I prefer Kal brand pure white extract but if you're looking for the best and least expensive stevia/erythritol blend then I highly recommend Steviva. Netrition carries it and a one pound package is 8.99, much cheaper than Truvia or NuNaturals baking blend.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote