Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Low Carb Gluten Free Soy Free Flour Tortillas- Yum with Pics!

click image to enlarge.

Just in time for Cinco de Mayo, I woke up after dreaming about these little handy tortillas. I've been dreaming up recipes lately like nobody's business! I do thank all you wonderful cooks for inspiration and help over the years with new techniques! Sherrie Lee and many other great cooks helped me develop this recipe. It may have been done before and if so, apologies if I ripped anyone off!

Low Carb GF SF NF Flour Tortillas
Serves – 8, 5” Tortillas (8 per recipe)
Prep Time – 10 Minutes
Cook Time – 30 Minutes
Difficulty – Even Goofy could make these

Ingredients
4 oz Cream Cheese or Mascarpone
1/4c Egg Whites or Carton Egg Whites
2 tsp Powdered Egg Whites
½ tsp Baking Powder
1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
1/8 tsp Kosher Salt
2 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese
1-1/2 Tbsp Coconut Flour
1 Tbsp Hot Water
2 tsp Knoxx Unflavored Gelatin

In medium size mixing bowl, beat cream cheese to break it up and soften it.

Add liquid egg whites a little at a time until well incorporated.

Add salt.

Add garlic powder.

Add baking powder.

Add powdered egg white.

Add parmesan cheese.

Add coconut flour.

Mix well for about one to two minutes.

Add gelatin powder to hot water and stir until gelatin melts.

Add gelatin to batter.

Beat well until batter thickens and becomes fluffy – about one minute.

Now you’re ready to make tortillas!

Cut parchment into squares.

Divide batter evenly into 8 mounds.

Scoop a mound onto parchment and with the back of an offset spatula, smear a tortilla into about a 5” round. Try to keep it even thickness and try not to get any creases in the parchment.

See? A great looking 5” round.

Nuke for 30 seconds.

Remove from microwave and turn tortilla face down into a hot non-stick skillet. Parchment will still be attached. That’s ok!

After about 10 seconds, peel off the parchment paper. It comes right off.

Watch to make sure the tortilla doesn’t burn. They cook quickly.

Flip tortilla and cook on the second side.

Now here’s the important part! Place cooked tortillas in a covered dish. Please use glass or pyrex, hot foods and plastics are killers. (Ask how I know! Ahem…breast cancer…). Let the flour tortillas sit in a covered dish to steam and become more pliable while you are cooking the remaining tortillas.

There you have it! Soft flour tortillas. Great with just butter, but awesome with any filling – egg or otherwise!

Wow! So you want something more? What? Maybe you want a crispy tostada or a taco? Well, I have to say, the corn tortillas are better than these for that, however, they aren’t almost Induction Friendly. These are! Soooo…

To make Tostadas and Crispy Taco Shells

Preheat oven to 250°.

Take tortillas and lightly spray with olive oil.

For tostadas, leave tortillas flat and place on a foil lined baking tray.

For crispy tacos make a foil snake the size of your desired taco and gently drap the tortillas over the form.

Bake tostadas and taco shells at 250° until crispy – about 45 minutes. Please watch them. They will turn dark which will alter the taste. If browning too much, cover lightly with a foil tent and allow them to continue to crisp. You will need to re-crisp them before use if you aren’t using immediately.

Olé!!!

Nutritional Information

Full Recipe (8, 5" Tortillas)
Cals 562 Fat 45.2g Carbs 11.3g Fiber 4.5g Net Carbs 6.8g Protein 29.7g

Single Tortilla
Cals 70 Fat 5.7g Carbs 1.4g Fiber .6g Net Carb .8g Protein 3.7g

Notes -
I’m gonna give these 4 forks just cuz I can! Are they EXACTLY like flour tortillas? No! They’re made of coconut flour and cream cheese!

Do they approximate it pretty good? Oh yeah! Do they do their FUN-ctional Food job without any whinin’ or back talk? Yep. As long as you don’t over fill them with wet guts, they work just dandy!

So, should I really be giving these tortillas 3 forks instead of 4? Mmmmm lemme tink bout that for awhile. Nah, I’m still stickin’ to my 4 fork rating. Why? Cuz hello! They are less than a carb and under 75calories per tortilla!!! And there is not a speck of soy, gluten, or flax anywhere. I said ANYWHERE! When was the last time you could go to the store, look on a package of prepared anything tortilla, and make that same claim?

Well ya can’t. That’s why I worked so long to come up with a workable tortilla that won’t aid and abet these little mofos I might still be harboring inside me somewhere (breast cancer cells).

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
wow those look great! you should package them and sell them!
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
the condiment queen

Ha! Maybe one of these days!! But YOU should totally make them! They are sooo easy!!!
Old 05-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
ROFL You are so funny! Looks and sounds wonderful!!
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
yum,, can you say shrimp quesidillas??? I want some!!
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
the condiment queen

Jen these dogs will hunt!

Brenda - we went out for my BIL's birthday on Saturday night, Cinco de Mayo. I took them and totally had shrimp tacos in them. They worked perfectly! I didn't even cheat one tiny bit. I felt so virtuous! I wished I'd brought some crispy ones for chips - wasn't thinking clearly...and instead brought pork rinds (which I love) and apparently so did all the carb monkeys in my family cuz they ate 'em all!!!

But the shrimp tacos worked like a bomb! If you are gonna make quesadillas with them, I would recommend not doing the second cooking after nuking until you are ready to make the quesadilla. That way they won't get too brown!
Old 05-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Wow!! Outstanding!! These looks so good. I think you are a cooking genuis. I am amazed at all the good stuff you come up with. Thank you for the recipe.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
the condiment queen

Nigel - No cooking genius here...just the Bride of Frankenstein's (um, yah...railroad track foobs) - younger, dumber sister...
Old 05-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
These look good, Susie. You're so creative in the kitchen! But I'm too lazy to make flour tortillas from scratch. I'll probably just keep spending my 5 NC on the carb balance tortillas or the Joseph's flax pita and call it good. But I printed this recipe out in case I change my mind and tackle making them one time to see how that goes.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
the condiment queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
These look good, Susie. You're so creative in the kitchen! But I'm too lazy to make flour tortillas from scratch. I'll probably just keep spending my 5 NC on the carb balance tortillas or the Joseph's flax pita and call it good. But I printed this recipe out in case I change my mind and tackle making them one time to see how that goes.
Well Peggy, if you had been diagnosed with a stage three hormonal cancer and was told to avoid soy in all its many forms, in addition to having lots of food sensitivities, I'd be willing to bet you would be making tortillas and many more things from scratch.

My choices are:
1. Eat productsthat havesoy and hormonal disruptors in them and get cancer again.

2. Nevereat any type of familiar comfort food that has been low carbed again cuz it takes too much effortto make themfrom scratch.

3. Go back to eating high carb foods that I can find that don't have soy,flax,almonds, or gluten and regain all my weight, have a regression of my t2 diabetes and get cancer again -since my doc pretty much said the only shot i have to live is if i lose all my weight and keep my insulin levels low. He told me to gain weight at this point would be committing suicide.

My guess is there may be others out there who need these recipes for their health and mental attitude and so, these recipes are really for people who have that interest. or need.

If these recipes arenot of interest to you guys then i'm sure i can use my time and my lagging energy. much more profitably.

Last edited by pooticus; 05-08-2012 at 08:09 PM..
Old 05-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
the condiment queen

Oh, i forgot to add, my tortillas are .8g of net carbs a piece. Since i,m still at 25 net carbs daily, 5g of net carbs represents 20percent of my daily carb allowance for only one tortilla. i can have 2 of mine for 1.6 net carbs and only 140 calories. Quite a bargain for a bit of time in the kitchen.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Pooti,

I didn't know that flax was bad for you??
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:56 AM   #13
the condiment queen

Barbo, flax is a very significant phyto estrogen. The verdict is also still out on it (along with soy) as to whether it helps control breast cancer progression by tying up the estrogen receptor sites with weak estrogens instead of strong estrogens or whether it promotes breast cancer growth. It acts on a substance called aromatase. Aromatase helps promote the growth of hormone receptive breast cancers and hormonal cancers of many different types as well.

But I'm on a drug that costs over $500/month (called an aromatase inhibitor) and the purpose of that drug is to block estrogens and to hopefully starve the cancer cells left behind (I had something like 14 out of 33 lymph nodes that had living cancer left in them after chemo. They found this in surgery.

So the idea is that you want as little circulating estrogen as you can have so it doesn't exceed the level of efficacy for this drug. I already have tons of circulating estrogen from my fat, despite being post-hysterectomy. So I try to steer clear of known phyto estrogens such as soy, flax, sweet potatoes, etc.

My doc literally wrote the book on breast cancer and is the head of a huge breast center here in town and also puts on an International Breast Symposium, so I feel pretty confident following his instructions for living and eating and believe him when he tells me how to improve my odds of surviving. Cuz they aren't real good odds.

But in addition, I'm already just flat allergic to flax seeds. Gives me an itchy closed feeling in my throat. Now days, most of those "low carb" analogs have flax in them.

Last edited by pooticus; 05-09-2012 at 04:57 AM..
Old 05-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Pooti I can't wait to try this. I just have to work some things out.

And that is the only way I can eat is by scratch. It's the only way I roll.

Thanks for your hard work.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I've been looking for a recipe like this. I don't like the low-carb tortillas available in the grocery stores plus I'm trying to avoid gluten.

I would really like to make these into 10" tortillas that I can use in the quesadilla maker my husband bought me for Christmas. I'm still thinking about buying a 10" electric tortilla press but not sure if this recipe would work in it.

Thanks for the recipe Pooti!!
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Of course there are many who must make such things from scratch. I certainly didn't mean to sound critical, Susie. Just sayin' that I'm personally too lazy to do them. It was a criticism of ME, not YOU. I'm sorry if anything I said was offensive to you.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dixie Barkley
Thanks for your creativity!
Dixie Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Yes, thank you. I will have to take the time to read every post here. Amazing the carb count!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I do thank you or the time and effort you put into creating recipes. I also have to make things from scratch. I have pretty severe IBD and I can't eat gluten and I have to avoid packaged and processed foods. The food geniuses out there like you and the other people who create great recipes have made life more tolerable to people like me. Thank you for sharing your creations with us.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #20
the condiment queen

Esther - and hope you are feeling better soon, sweety!

Pam - MWUAH! Please let me know how you like them!

Dixie - hon!!

Tilly - and I know, right? The carb count alone makes these superstars in my book. If you want bigger ones, you could just about eat the whole batch without ruining a day! But don't...lol.

Sungoddess! You are so sweet, but definitely as I told Nigel, no genius here. Just a tagalong too-too with the other cooks who already made up these steps! Ouizie and SherrieLee and Char and CarolynF and LindaSue and sooooo many I know I'm missing some big players!!!

But ya, you know, our choices are eat legal homemade foods that are better for you, lower carb and lower calorie half the time, and get healthy or stay healthy - or? What's the other alternative again? Ummm....die? Nah. Not today. Guess I'll spend about 30minutes in the kitchen whippin up these bad boys and call it Margaritaville (well, sans margaritas unless they are of the virgin persuasion and I'm still working on one of those...)!

Old 05-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Well Peggy, if you had been diagnosed with a stage three hormonal cancer and was told to avoid soy in all its many forms, in addition to having lots of food sensitivities, I'd be willing to bet you would be making tortillas and many more things from scratch.

My choices are:
1. Eat productsthat havesoy and hormonal disruptors in them and get cancer again.

2. Nevereat any type of familiar comfort food that has been low carbed again cuz it takes too much effortto make themfrom scratch.

3. Go back to eating high carb foods that I can find that don't have soy,flax,almonds, or gluten and regain all my weight, have a regression of my t2 diabetes and get cancer again -since my doc pretty much said the only shot i have to live is if i lose all my weight and keep my insulin levels low. He told me to gain weight at this point would be committing suicide.

My guess is there may be others out there who need these recipes for their health and mental attitude and so, these recipes are really for people who have that interest. or need.

If these recipes are not of interest to you guys then i'm sure i can use my time and my lagging energy. much more profitably.
I had no idea, you are very kind to share and I know what you are posting will help others. And if being lower in weight just to feel good wasn't incentive enough to keep it off, then what you have said here should be plenty!

What I like about your doctor is not only does he sound like the one to go to but he is telling you things we can do on our own.

Big hugs and I can't thank you enough for your willingness to not only experiment but to share. (p.s. Ever thought of writing a book? Not just a cookbook but combo recipes and information?)
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Pooti

Thank you mucho for the information.
I shall pass it along to others.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote