Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diwitch
Stats: 140/140/140
WOE: Mine
Start Date: Jan, 2009
Kevin's White Bread

I made Kevin's white bread, this one:

1 cup LC Bread flour mix (14 carbs)

1/2 cup carbalose
1/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
1 Tbs wheat protein isolate 8000
1.5 Tbs almond flour
1.5 Tbs Hi-Maize resistant corn starch 260
1.25 tsp not/Sugar

Loaf Bread

2 1/2 cups of the above LC Bread flour mix
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp honey
2 tsp instant yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tbls extra virgin olive oil

Mix and knead for 15 min.
form loaf and let rise just until it reaches the top of the pan.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 min or until crust is golden brown.

I brush top with butter 5 min before done.

I love it, my only problem is that it is a bit too soft, makes it very hard to cut as thin as I would like. Any suggestions? I also make the Carbquik one, which I like also but this one (except for the cutting thin issue) is my favorite.

Thanks,

Di
diwitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I make this once a week into hamburger buns -- so easy and it is just like soft white bread.

I use 2/3 cup water, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp regular yeast (not rapid-rise), 1 tsp olive oil. Slosh that together in the bread maker for a couple of minutes to get the yeast started, then sprinkle in the flour mix slowly until it just barely comes together in a dough. Let knead for about 7 minutes, then turn off, pull the dough out with oiled hands. I form it into a ball, then cut that ball into 6 pieces and form each of those into a small ball. Roll each ball in sesame seeds and place on my muffin top pans and let rise until doubled. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until golden. They will rise more in the oven.

I usually slice these wonderful buns horizontally into 4 slices. The two inner slices I use for sandwiches, and the two outer ones for buns. I think they are much easier to slice when they are made into buns as opposed to loaves.

And you can make wonderful, soft hot-dog buns with it.

And this dough stretches to make a HUGE pizza dough -- we like this pizza better than store bought!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diwitch
Stats: 140/140/140
WOE: Mine
Start Date: Jan, 2009
Oh...what a great idea! Thank you!

Taps foot impatiently...waiting for my netrition order..so I can try the buns.
diwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dutzie
WOE: LC-JUDDD 433/1732
Dianafoot, great explanation of how to do buns. Can you give one for making the hot dog buns - what kind of pan, etc.

Thanks.

dutzie
Dutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
iIuse to make this all the time.I used an electric knife to cut slices It's great for bread cutting.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutzie View Post
Dianafoot, great explanation of how to do buns. Can you give one for making the hot dog buns - what kind of pan, etc.

Thanks.

dutzie
Dutzie,
I pondered quite a bit about this until I came up with this idea: I took a piece of aluminum foil and made a little foil pan out of it as long as I wanted my hot dog buns to be and as wide as I thought four of them should be. Just folded over the edges a couple of times to make the pan stable. Then I put my little foil pan inside a baking dish and sprayed it with non-stick spray (probably didn't need to do this.)

I cut the dough into four pieces and rolled each piece into a snake as long as I wanted the bun to be. The pieces will be surprisingly skinny. Then placed all four snakes in my little pan and let rise until double. Have to be careful not to let rise too much, or they will be "popovers" and not buns, because they rise more in the oven. Stick them in a 350 oven and bake 15 minutes or until golden.

I do let the all of the breads and buns I make with this mix cool slowly so that they won't deflate. I turn off the oven and open the oven door wide and just let them sit there for 30 minutes or so until all cooled off.

Hope this helps! Although I am going mostly gluten-free, I do make these little buns and rolls and have a small amount every other day or so. I have had no bad gluten reactions and am keeping blood sugar down, and weight is going down, too.

Last edited by dianafoot; 05-07-2012 at 10:22 AM..
Old 05-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Diana, I noticed that you no longer use dry milk powder in the flour mix for the buns as you once did. Does it come out just as soft without it?

Great suggestion for making a hot dog roll pan!
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
Diana, I noticed that you no longer use dry milk powder in the flour mix for the buns as you once did. Does it come out just as soft without it?

Great suggestion for making a hot dog roll pan!
I don't use the powdered milk any more. It's just as good or even better without it. Very soft.

BTW, I keep these in the fridge and I think they taste even better after a day or two. They slice much more easily and they seem to lose every little bit of spongy-ness they might have had otherwise.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dutzie
WOE: LC-JUDDD 433/1732
Thanks a lot for the pan making lesson. I would not have EVER thought of it.

I'm going to try these.

dutzie
Dutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
I don't use the powdered milk any more. It's just as good or even better without it. Very soft.

BTW, I keep these in the fridge and I think they taste even better after a day or two. They slice much more easily and they seem to lose every little bit of spongy-ness they might have had otherwise.
That's another tip that I would not have thought of (with me it's always seal in a bag, after cooling, for an hour or two on the counter in case that might help, then into the freezer). Thanks
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote