Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Your Favorite Biscuit Type Shortcake Recipe? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/770527-your-favorite-biscuit-type-shortcake-recipe.html)

TBipp 05-04-2012 02:04 PM

Your Favorite Biscuit Type Shortcake Recipe?

My sister requested the Neimann Marcus strawberry shortcake (biscuit type and not cake type) for Mother's Day which I will bake; however, I want to serve a low carb shortcake also. Does anyone have a favorite recipe for a biscuit type shortcake? There are many biscuit recipes on this forum which I have not yet tried but am hoping one of them will be conducive to shortcake.

I have all the usual ingredients including CarbQuick.

Ginaaaaaa 05-05-2012 10:01 AM

These are the two biscuit recipes I like. You can add sweetener for a sweet shortcake version.

southern style biscuit!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...e-biscuit.html

I used it to make a BLT but the taste and texture was so much like a southern style biscuit that I'm going to make a breakfast sandwich with them tomorrow!

Very simple:

2T (heaping) coconut flour. I do not know if it makes a difference, I used Bob's Red Mill High fiber from Netrition. 1 large egg (I used egglandsbest)
good pinch of salt
1/4tsp baking powder
2T water + I think I added about 1T more because the flour sucked it up.

In a microwave safe bowl about 3" diameter (pretty big!) : Beat the egg and salt then add the water, mix and add the flour and baking powder until well blended and most of the lumps are gone. Let sit a few seconds and add more water if needed. You want it to look likea dough,not a batter. Microwave for 1 minute 45 seconds until it looks dry and it's pulled away from the sides of the bowl. Turn it out of the bowl and slice in half to make 2 equal thickness pieces and place on a rack to cool. You need air to circulate around them so they don't get soggy. Use as you would a biscuit!

I was out of buttermilk but I would add 1T buttermilk and a pinch of baking soda to see how that turns out too

For the recipe it's approx: 130cals; 10g carbs; 6g fiber

Fluffy Biscuits Adapted from this recipe by Laura Dolson

Makes four biscuits

Ingredients:

1 and 1/2 tablespoons of unsalted organic butter or nonhydrogenated shortening
1 cup plus two tablespoons of finely ground blanched almond flour
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
4 egg whites (or 2, for drop biscuits - see comments!)

Preparation: Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

1. Cut cold fat (butter or shortening) into dry ingredients with the tines of your fork, rotating the bowl around with your other hand until the mixture has pea-sized chunks throughout. You could also use a pastry blender, in which case you probably don't need to read these instructions.

2. Chill mixture in the fridge for 5-10 minutes or as long as you can stand it. The longer the better. The more the fat can get cold and hard, the puffier your biscuits will be. Remember that!

3. Separate the egg yolks from the whites (using the shell halves to tip the yolk back and forth a few times). Reserve yolks (save all that creamy goodness for ice cream or homemade mayo!) and whisk egg whites with a fork in a bowl for 20 seconds, until no longer stringy and gloopy. You just want 'em a little foamy.

4. Remove mixture from fridge and whisk in the egg whites for a couple of seconds, breaking up any massive chunks in the dough with your whisk or fork. It'll be an extremely runny dough with chunks of the almond mixture. Pour it into greased foil-lined ramekins/nonstick muffin cups/a muffin top pan and get that sucker in the hot oven before the fat can even THINK about softening!

2.5 grams net carbs per biscuit!

Speck333 05-05-2012 10:13 AM

I'm not exactly sure what a biscuit type shortcake is, but this recipe is awesome. It tastes exactly like regular shortcake.

3 tbls butter, melted
3 eggs
3 tbls honey or sugar sub equivalent*
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup sifted coconut flour
1/4 tsp baking powder

Blent togetehr the butter, eggs, sweetener, salt and vanilla. Combine coconut flour with baking powder and wish into batter until there are no lumps. Pour batter into greased muffin cups. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes. Makes 6 cakes.

*honey is not low carb, but it is Primal/paleo approved. Using honey adds 8 carbs per shortcake.

Ginaaaaaa 05-05-2012 10:41 AM

Thanks for the recipe Speck..I'm going to try it out. I have all the ingredients and some strawberries and fresh whip cream.

Looks like I will be making some strawberry shortcake!! :)

rosethorns 05-05-2012 02:11 PM

All of these sound great!!!!!!!!!!!I'm going to try them.

TBipp 05-05-2012 02:49 PM

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. For a crunchy top, I saw a high carb recipe that brushed it with beaten egg white and then sprinkled with sugar but I am sure xylitol would work.

I just returned from the supermarket and was able to stop by a produce stand and pick up local, homegrown strawberries. They are quite early this year due to weather. They smell heavenly. :D

Ginaaaaaa 05-06-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speck333 (Post 15633855)
I'm not exactly sure what a biscuit type shortcake is, but this recipe is awesome. It tastes exactly like regular shortcake.

3 tbls butter, melted
3 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp baking powder

Blent togetehr the butter, eggs, sweetener, salt and vanilla. Combine coconut flour with baking powder and wish into batter until there are no lumps. Pour batter into greased muffin cups. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes. Makes 6 cakes.

*honey is not low carb, but it is Primal/paleo approved. Using honey adds 8 carbs per shortcake.

I just made these and they are really good!! I used real honey because I just bought some for my daughter and I can afford the carbs. I only baked them for 10 minutes but my oven runs very hot so they got a little too dark on the bottom and sides, the tops and middles were just fine though and deliciously tasty and moist. I will be making these again but I may use the sugar free honey next time just because they're so yummy and I could eat more than one!! :)

Thanks again for sharing your recipe Speck.

I'm making the almond flour biscuits also and will report back on them later.

Speck333 05-06-2012 01:48 PM

Hey Gina! Glad you like them! :high5: I got the recipe from my mom, and she got it from a book, but I haven't a clue what book I'm afraid.

jdcri 05-06-2012 03:00 PM

Oh I cannot wait to try them!! I made the other recipe and I thought it was horrid so I am excited to try this one!!

Ginaaaaaa 05-06-2012 04:44 PM

The almond flour biscuits were really good too. I made strawberry shortcake with them and it reminded me of the old high carb ones. Both recipes were very good and worthy of making again.

jdrci, which recipe did you make?

jdcri 05-08-2012 09:53 AM

I made that "almost like a biscuit" microwaved recipe - I thought it was really not good. I am going to try the other one next.

Ginaaaaaa 05-08-2012 10:31 AM

Ya, I think thats more for a quick fix type of recipe and a work in progress. I used half almond flour when I made one. The almond flour biscuit that I posted is really good. I only used 3 eggs and they turned out well. Thats why I posted the links so people could read the comments and decide for themselves, but Lauren's almond flour recipe the link was taken out.

I also loved Speck's mom's recipe. I'm having company tonight and serving strawberry shortcake and plan on having both biscuits with them.

PaminKY 05-08-2012 10:38 AM

I have a good one but I can't find it, I just used it last night to make a cobbler crust. I'll keep looking.

PaminKY 05-08-2012 11:53 AM

I found it in my Word documents but when I search for the original thread I see that it was deleted. I think I know why so I won't post the original recipe here, just the version I use.

Pound Cake

2 tbs Splenda or liquid equivalent
2 tbs butter, softened
2 tbs cream cheese, softened
1 tbs sour cream (optional, sometimes I use, sometimes I don't)
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
pinch salt
1 1/2 tbs oat fiber (optional, added by me)
1/4 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp glucomannan (optional, added by me)

Mix wet ingredients together and mix dry ingredients togther and then mix it all together. Bake at 350 until golden brown.

Here are some of the tweaks posted by others:

I think this is from Charski:

I'm experimenting - I doubled this recipe, except added a rounded teaspoon of BP instead of 2, and put this into a 6-hole muffin top pan. Am baking at 350* - will let you know how it comes out!

Judy, they took a total of about 15 minutes. I have a convection oven so YMMV!

The doubled recipe gave me 6 shortcakes. Mom and I each had one, DH had a "double stack" - they were really good and reminded me more of the old sponge cakes we used to get for shortcakes, albeit much thinner.

Not sure who these are from:

I tweaked it a bit adding one egg but only half the yolk, and recently I started adding 2tsp of very fine coconut flour with a little bit of extra liquid added and it's MUCH more cakey and NO eggy taste. I've been enjoying strawberry shortcake for the last 4 days.

Just made the Char method for strawberry shortcake tonight..They look good and only took about 10 minutes to bake at 350.

Ginaaaaaa 05-11-2012 06:50 PM

Here's a pic of Lauren's Fluffy Almond Flour biscuits and Speck's mom's shortcake. Both are very yummy!!

http://i47.tinypic.com/ngr2f5.jpg

Barbo 05-11-2012 08:45 PM

Speck's Mom's Recipe

This one looks very good.
Thank you mom for us.

I use the Xylitol Honey....I will try this.

Speck333 05-11-2012 11:43 PM

:)

ladeeda 05-12-2012 11:41 AM

I use LindaSue's Almond Cake (baked in muffin top pan) for my strawberry shortcakes. While these are not biscuit-like, they are super yummy.

Charski 05-13-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

3 tbls butter, melted
3 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp baking powder

I just made this recipe, using the Honey Tree maltitol-based SF honey - they're quite good! I was afraid the coconut taste would come through, so I put 1/2 tsp. vanilla in it, but they're not coconutty to MY tastebuds. We shall see when DH tries them - he's a "supertaster" and he's not fond of coconut flavor!

uhhuhher 01-24-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

3 tbls butter, melted
3 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp baking powder

Ohhh man. I made this recipe tonight!! It was amazing! I used SF "honey" and I piped the batter in my donut pan. It made 6 donuts. I just had to knock some time off the bake time. I baked mine about 9 minutes. I topped the cakes with a few berries and some greek yogurt. Probably the most satisfying dessert I have had in a long time! Thanks for posting the recipe!

tstarre 01-25-2013 06:48 AM

MMMMMM must buy coconut flour.

Speck333 01-26-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhhuhher (Post 16217561)
Ohhh man. I made this recipe tonight!! It was amazing! I used SF "honey" and I piped the batter in my donut pan. It made 6 donuts. I just had to knock some time off the bake time. I baked mine about 9 minutes. I topped the cakes with a few berries and some greek yogurt. Probably the most satisfying dessert I have had in a long time! Thanks for posting the recipe!

Oh good! Glad you liked it!