Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Coconut Cake (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/769590-coconut-cake.html)

buttoni 04-27-2012 08:48 PM

Coconut Cake

We have a house guest tomorrow night (and it's my UP day on JUDDD) so I tried my hand at a coconut cake today. It came out quite good and not too sweet, which I really like. I didn't make too sweet a frosting, but you could substitute a sweeter, cream cheese frosting and end up with a richer, sweeter cake if you prefer. For some reason, since starting JUDDD, I don't like my sweets nearly as sweet as I once did. Not sure exactly why, but everything with Splenda in it is syrupy sweet to me now.

Iíve not tried a straight coconut cake in the three years Iíve been low-carbing and thought Iíd give it a stab today as it has always been a favorite of mine. I saw a lovely pic of a coconut cake on the net today and thought what a great way to use some coconut oil! With all the eggs that coconut flour requires, this is a costly cake to make. It was not as white and light as traditional coconut cakes, either. But with all the coconut oil and butter, this cake certainly doesnít want for moisture. I iced my two layer cake with whipped cream to which I added some French Vanilla sugar-free pudding powder and a pinch of coconut flavoring, but you could certainly use whatever cream cheese or coconut frosting you prefer. This recipe isnít suitable until the nuts rung of the OWL phase of Atkins.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...utt/003-16.jpg

INGREDIENTS:

Ĺ c. butter, unsalted, softened
1/3 c. coconut oil, softened (or melted)
12 medium-large eggs
3/4 c. sugar-free syrup (I used vanilla)
ľ c. erythritol
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond extract
1/3 c. Carbquick bake mix
3/4 c. coconut flour
2 T. oat fiber
1 tsp. glucomannan powder (optional enhancer)
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder

For frosting: 1 c. whipping cream, 2 tsp. Coconutti extract (or 1 tsp. regular coconut extract), 6 drops liquid sucralose (I used small bottle EzSweets), 1/4 envelope sugar-free vanilla pudding powder.

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350ļ. Line the bottom of two 9″ cake pans with either parchment or waxed paper. Grease the sides of the pan with coconut oil and set them aside while you mix up the batter. In a large bowl, soften the butter and coconut oil and beat well until smooth. Add erythritol and syrup. Stir well. Beat in the eggs and extracts. Measure and add in all dry ingredients. Pour batter as evenly as possible into the two prepared pans. Bake in preheated 350ļ oven for 30-35 minutes. Toothpick check the center to make certain it comes out dry. Remove and cool completely before attempting to frost. While cakes are cooling, whip the cream until thick. Stir in 2 tsp. Coconutti extract (or 1 tsp. other coconut extract), the liquid sucralose and the pudding powder. Stir well. When cakes have totally cooled, place one on a serving plate. Spoon a layer of frosting on the bottom layer. Place second layer on top and ice the top and sides with remaining frosting. Sprinkle a tiny bit of coconut on top if desired. Keep this cake refrigerated when not cutting/serving.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 10 servings, each contains:

373 calories
32.46 g fat
14.82 g carbs, 8.8 g fiber, 6.02 g NET CARBS
11.0 g protein
24.8 mg sodium
15 mg potassium
25% RDA Vitamin A, 32% B12, 12% calcium, 14% copper, 36% iron, 14% manganese, 36% phosphorous, 27% riboflavin, 34% selenium, 11% zinc.

Brendajm 04-28-2012 03:48 AM

Looks fabulous Peggy

Horsetrainer110 04-28-2012 05:58 AM

Looks great! I'd eat dirt if it was rolled in coconut!

Vanessa120 04-28-2012 06:49 AM

I am sure it tastes as good as it looks! Enjoy your guest Peggy.

buttoni 04-28-2012 07:13 AM

Thanks ladies. Yep, I might even try dirt if rolled in coconut, too, Renee. LOL coconut makes EVERYTHING good!

tulipsandroses 04-28-2012 06:57 PM

Looks so yummy!

CarolynF 04-28-2012 07:09 PM

Oh...Peggy...I am having some evil thoughts that include crushed drained pineapple mixed in with the frosting for a Pina Colada Cake..:)

This looks marvelous..If we want to make 1/2 of it, we could and only use one pan, then cut the cake in half..:)

buttoni 04-28-2012 07:40 PM

I thought of that, too, Carolyn, but my DH isn't too fond of coconut. I thought it would be good in the layer of frosting between the cake layers, at the very least, along with a splash of rum extract (or real rum). Great minds......:)

pooticus 04-28-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 15617910)
Oh...Peggy...I am having some evil thoughts that include crushed drained pineapple mixed in with the frosting for a Pina Colada Cake..:)

This looks marvelous..If we want to make 1/2 of it, we could and only use one pan, then cut the cake in half..:)

Get thee behind me Satan!!!!! :hugs:

That cake looks soooooo moist girl!!! I adore coconut cake. One of my favorite Good Eats episode was about Alton's coconut cake!!! OMG. Hold me, please!

Have fun with your guest!!!!

buttoni 04-29-2012 09:09 AM

Carolyn, I meant to say my DH isn't too fond of pineapple in that last post. This one WAS moist, Pooti, with that many eggs in it. But the last coconut and fruit cake I tried low-carb only had 10 eggs in it and that just wasn't enough moisten it up for me.

Jennifer Eloff 04-29-2012 09:29 AM

Yum! That looks fantastic and sounds delicious, Peggy! Your guests are very lucky! :)

buttoni 04-29-2012 11:23 AM

It was well-received by our visitor, and he doesn't eat desserts very often. He commented he liked it because it wasn't too sweet, like coconut cakes usually are. :)

goheels 04-29-2012 04:39 PM

Peggy, since I don't have Carbquick, do you think you could sub almond flour for it?

dawnyama 04-29-2012 05:20 PM

That looks fabulous!! But I don't have the Carbquick either. Hope you can sub out the almond flour because I have a lot of that!

buttoni 04-29-2012 07:41 PM

I'd be more inclined to sub in Jen's GF bake mix so you get some oat flour in there. I fear it might be crumbly using just almond flour. That said, give it a try and let us know how it works, ladies.

flatferenghi 04-30-2012 04:44 AM

cocomut cale used to be a staple in every diner i had ever been to.

i almost never see it now. I would choose it, even over chocolate layer cake.(no, who am i kidding-i would have the coconut AND the choc layer cake) I hope you and your guests enjoy it. enjoy it for me as well. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI

flatferenghi 04-30-2012 04:45 AM

i meant coconut cake!!!

where are my proof reading skills? FF

Heidinem 04-30-2012 05:08 AM

Peggy, your desert recipes always look so good. I can just see you sitting down to eat one piece daintily. I would scarf down the whole cake :o. The only sweets I am able to control myself around are coconut bark & various cheesecakes made w/ Carbquick. And I had to work to be able to get that control!

buttoni 04-30-2012 07:23 AM

Guess I'm lucky I've never had a sweet tooth, Heidi. Get that from my Dad, who always had my Mom cut the sugar in cake/pie recipes by 50% for as long as I can remember. And he'd still complain they were too sweet! So watching my dessert intake has never been a problem. Now that second helping of potatoes or bread and butter......that was my weakness and my dessert. LOL

buttoni 04-30-2012 12:04 PM

3 days in the refrigerator and this cake is just as good as the day I made it. Firmer from the chilling, but still moist and flavorful. I'd venture to say this cake with some crushed pineapple, cherries and nuts in it would make a nice, light fruitcake for the holidays. I may just do that this year. :)

rosethorns 04-30-2012 02:05 PM

Peggy That looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to sub Jen's GF mix for the carbquik, I think it'll work. Thanks

buttoni 04-30-2012 08:59 PM

It's my JUDDD UP day and I had another piece today. Mmmm. I'm freezing some of this cake to see how that works out. I don't really like freezing baked goods, but this is so moist I think this cake just might freeze OK. I'll post back when I defrost it to see if it loses anything from freezing.

jdcri 05-04-2012 10:34 AM

Do you think I can use xanthan, guar, or acacia in place of the glucomannan powder?

I am going to attempt this tonight - with a lime and mint twist - Kind of like a coconut mojito... for Cinco de Mayo!!

buttoni 05-04-2012 06:11 PM

I'd just leave it out Jdcri. I'm sure it'll bake up just fine without it. I just put it in there to "fluff" the cake up a bit, as it has done that to other things I've baked.

tulipsandroses 05-24-2012 08:59 PM

Bumping because I want to make this for the weekend. I bought shredded coconut today and I want to put that in the icing but I don't have any SF syrup. Do you think I can just leave that out?

tulipsandroses 05-25-2012 11:12 AM

Made this into cupcakes. Had to do a few tweaks since I didn't have all the listed ingredients. I didnt have any sugar free syrup so I used coconut milk mixed with table cream and water to make up for the missing liquid of the sugar free syrup. I also put shredded coconut flakes in the batter. I used the LC bake mix that I like instead of Carbquik. Just had 1 warm out of the oven. Very good indeed! I'm in coconut heaven!

Brendajm 05-26-2012 04:12 AM

What bake mix did you use tulip? I try not to use carbquik as i don't tolerate wheat well. I have been wanting to try this cake too.

tulipsandroses 05-26-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendajm (Post 15681402)
What bake mix did you use tulip? I try not to use carbquik as i don't tolerate wheat well. I have been wanting to try this cake too.

Hi Brenda, I use LC Foods Corp Biscuit & Pie Flour, but it contains Wheat Protein Isolates. I like it because I can't get past the Carbquik taste. They do have a few gluten few products but the biscuit mix is not gluten free.

buttoni 05-26-2012 07:15 PM

I just saw your question about the syrup, Tulips, but see you came up with an alternative liquid that worked. So glad you liked this.

Honestly, I detest the Carbquick classic taste, too. But small amounts of Carbquick don't have that taste to me. And I think they've improved the product from what I used to order 3 years ago, to reduce that taste in the newer stuff. In addition, as Jennifer Eloff and I have noticed, mixing some coconut flour and almond flour (or a bit of one of her mixes) seems to negate any funny taste in the CQ. don't know how, but it does. I do not taste it in ANY of my recipes. But 3 years ago, I sure could, and detested it then.