Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Oopsie Coffee Crumb Cake (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/769166-oopsie-coffee-crumb-cake.html)

Determinedtolose 04-25-2012 06:44 AM

Oopsie Coffee Crumb Cake

2 Attachment(s)
DIANA'S OOPSIE COFFEE CRUMB CAKE
Oopsie batter:
6 eggs, separated
6 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar equivalent substitute
1/4 cup protein powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp cinnamon

Crumb topping:
1 1/2 cups finely ground Almond flour
2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 cup Ideal brown sugar or sugar equivalent
1 stick of cold butter, cubed

Glaze (optional):
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tblsp sugar equivalent or substitute sweetener
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp softened butter

Bake at 300 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes

Prepare Oopsie batter: Separate the egg yolks from the whites. Whip the whites with the cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.

Beat the egg yolks with cream cheese, substitute sweetener, protein powder, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Fold this mixture with the eggs whites gently as not to deflate the whites.

Put the mixture in an 8 inch baking dish covered with parchment paper. Or you can use an 8 inch spring form pan, generously greased with butter. Set aside.

Prepare the crumb topping: Place the almond flour, brown sugar substitute, cinnamon and butter in a bowl and combine with your fingers until it is well combined. It won't be crumbling but it will hold together.
Add HALF of the crumb topping to the Oopsie batter evenly, it may sink to the bottom. About half way into baking take out cake and add the remaining topping. Continue baking.

Glaze: Combine heavy cream, sweetener and cinnamon in a measuring cup. Heat in microwave or small sauce pan until sweetener has dissolved. (this is if do not have powedered sugar). Mix well, then add butter and mix again. You can whip this to make it more thicker when it's well chilled.

Drizzle glaze on semi cooled crumb cake. Keep refrigerated.
Make this cake the day before you need it. It is best served the next day, even though it may be hard to resist. It gives the ingredients time to come together.

Servings: 9
Gluten Free/Low Carb

rosethorns 04-25-2012 07:46 AM

That's lovely.

Determinedtolose 04-25-2012 08:30 AM

Thanks rosethorns! It's pretty darn good too!!!

I wanted to edit the butter measurements on the crumb part. Use 1/2 instead of a cup of butter.

PaminKY 04-25-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Determinedtolose (Post 15608883)
Thanks rosethorns! It's pretty darn good too!!!

I wanted to edit the butter measurements on the crumb part. Use 1/2 instead of a cup of butter.

Has the original post been changed? It calls for one stick of butter which is equal to 1/2 cup.

Barbo 04-25-2012 11:54 AM

It is a lovely recipe

I ask the same question as Paminky.

It's almost Angel Crumb Cake :shake:

CarolynF 04-25-2012 12:07 PM

Looks wonderful..

Determinedtolose 04-27-2012 03:17 AM

Oops!! I meant to say, changed it to 1/4 cup butter, instead of the 1/2 cup of butter.

Determinedtolose 04-27-2012 03:21 AM

Here's the Edited one:
DIANA'S OOPSIE COFFEE CRUMB CAKE
Oopsie batter:
6 eggs, separated
6 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar equivalent substitute
1/4 cup protein powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp cinnamon

Crumb topping:
1 1/2 cups finely ground Almond flour
2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 cup Ideal brown sugar or equivalent
1/4 cup cold butter, cubed

Glaze (optional):
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tblsp substitute sweetener
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp softened butter

Bake at 300 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes

Prepare Oopsie batter: Separate the egg yolks from the whites. Whip the whites with the cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.

Beat the egg yolks with cream cheese, substitute sweetener, protein powder, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Fold this mixture with the eggs whites gently as not to deflate the whites.

Put the mixture in an 8 inch baking dish covered with parchment paper. Or you can use an 8 inch spring form pan, generously greased with butter. Set aside.

Prepare the crumb topping: Place the almond flour, brown sugar substitute, cinnamon and butter in a bowl and combine with your fingers until it is well combined. It won't be crumbling but it will hold together.
Add HALF of the crumb topping to the Oopsie batter evenly, it may sink to the bottom. About half way into baking take out cake and add the remaining topping. Continue baking.

Glaze: Combine heavy cream, sweetener and cinnamon in a measuring cup. Heat in microwave or small sauce pan until sweetener has dissolved. (this is if do not have powedered sugar). Mix well, then add butter and mix again. You can whip this to make it more thicker when it's well chilled.

Drizzle glaze on semi cooled crumb cake. Keep refrigerated.
Make this cake the day before you need it. It is best served the next day, even though it may be hard to resist. It gives the ingredients time to come together. This also freezes well too

Determinedtolose 04-27-2012 03:25 AM

I have made NY Style crumb cakes before for family brunches and I was craving that taste with the cinnamon and crumb topping. I came up with this recipe and it was so good, I could not believe it. My husband and I ate this up within a week.

I hope you all try it, it's really good!!

jdcri 04-27-2012 06:20 AM

This sounds great and I will be trying this weekend!

sungoddess 04-27-2012 09:40 AM

This looks delicious! Is anyone able to run the nutritional values on this including carbs and calories? TIA:)

Determinedtolose 04-27-2012 05:47 PM

Jamie posted this on her blog, Your Lighter Side. Here's her nutrition info:

Nutritional information for 1/9th of the recipe without glaze: Calories: 330, Carbohydrates: 6g, Fiber: 2g, Net Carbohydrates: 4g, Protein: 12.2g, Fat: 29.8g
Nutritional information for 1/9th of the recipe with glaze: Calories: 394, Carbohydrates: 6g, Fiber: 2g, Net Carbohydrates: 4g, Protein: 12.3g, Fat: 36.9g

Determinedtolose 04-27-2012 05:51 PM

jdcri, let me know what you think! I'm telling ya, it's really good and it satisfiy's the taste for a coffee cake. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I love it, lol!

sungoddess 04-27-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Determinedtolose (Post 15615926)
Jamie posted this on her blog, Your Lighter Side. Here's her nutrition info:

Nutritional information for 1/9th of the recipe without glaze: Calories: 330, Carbohydrates: 6g, Fiber: 2g, Net Carbohydrates: 4g, Protein: 12.2g, Fat: 29.8g
Nutritional information for 1/9th of the recipe with glaze: Calories: 394, Carbohydrates: 6g, Fiber: 2g, Net Carbohydrates: 4g, Protein: 12.3g, Fat: 36.9g

Thank you Diana!! I appreciate you taking the time to post it here.

PghPALady1974 04-27-2012 07:56 PM

OMG Diana!! This looks wonderful!!!!! I am going to have to try this on my next day off that I don't have anything else planned!!!

Thank you for sharing!!

cindym 04-27-2012 08:23 PM

Looks YUMMY :)

Determinedtolose 04-28-2012 06:37 AM

You're welcome Ladies!!!:)

buttoni 04-28-2012 08:55 AM

This really looks good, Diana. I'd like to try it on one of my UP days on JUDDD. Thanks for this lovely creation!

jdcri 04-30-2012 07:02 PM

OMG this is in the oven as I type!! Smells incredible - just put the other half of crumb topping on - thinking I could have done it all the first baking as it did not really sink into the batter (I am excellent at whipping egg whites LOL!)

For the sweetener in the batter I use 3 packets of truvia and 9 splenda, for the filling I used 4 packets truvia and 8 splenda with 1 tsp of blackstrap molasses. Not dure if I am going to do the glaze or not yet - I cannot wait to eat this thing!!

Determinedtolose 04-30-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdcri (Post 15622276)
OMG this is in the oven as I type!! Smells incredible - just put the other half of crumb topping on - thinking I could have done it all the first baking as it did not really sink into the batter (I am excellent at whipping egg whites LOL!)

For the sweetener in the batter I use 3 packets of truvia and 9 splenda, for the filling I used 4 packets truvia and 8 splenda with 1 tsp of blackstrap molasses. Not dure if I am going to do the glaze or not yet - I cannot wait to eat this thing!!

Mmmmm, that sounds great jdcri!!! I know what you mean, the smell is so good!!
You could even sprinkle some powedered sf sweetener on that as well.
My egg whites were very stiff, but for some reason the first crumb mixture sunk. I may have over folded the whites and yolks. When I put it in the refrigerator over night, the batter turned more like a bread, it wasn't Oospie-ish at all. That's why I mentioned about making it the night before. I couldn't wait to eat it either, lol.
But let me know how you like it after you try it.:)

rosethorns 04-30-2012 07:12 PM

As soon as I get some more protein powder I'm going to try this dairy free.

jdcri 04-30-2012 07:34 PM

So i really could not wait lol!! it is so hot some bites hurt my teeth!! But it is good - fresh from the oven it reminds me of french toast caserole. I could eat it this way no probllem - sf syrup anyone? mmm good! cannot wait to try tomorrow!!

jdcri 04-30-2012 07:35 PM

i definitely overcooked it a bit - next time 40 mins instead of 50!

Determinedtolose 05-01-2012 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdcri (Post 15622344)
i definitely overcooked it a bit - next time 40 mins instead of 50!

I think I did mine for about 40 minutes. In my original recipe, I check at 30 and then for for 5 min increments if needed. I thought I put that on this one, but didn't find it. :doh:

jdcri 05-01-2012 07:41 AM

This is very yummy!! I am the kind of person that cannot get past the eggy taste of oopsie rolls - I like them but they will always be eggy to me. This really reminds me of french toast casserole. next time (and there will be a next time!!) I am making the crumb topping with only 1 cup almong flour and I am going to put an extra tsp cinnamon and put it all in before baking. The topping I put on in the middle of baking just kind of falls off everywhere and the topping in it during baking it more gooey and delicious!. It is really good!!! Thanks so much for the recipe!!!

Oh and french toast is my biggest miss for breakfast so this is awesome!!!!

Determinedtolose 05-02-2012 05:56 AM

I kept mine in the fridge and that helped to harden and soften the crumb part for me if that makes sense, lol. But all in all, I was craving a crumb cake and this hit the spot for me. But tweak anyway you want. It's tweakable!! :)

the4richards 05-03-2012 08:54 AM

Mine is in the oven right now. I have NEVER done an oopsie before as I do NOT like eggy flavors, but I couldn't resist the pics!

I had to put mine in a casserole dish and it was still over the top. I used the exact batter recipe. Smells great.

countrycookinmama 07-04-2012 04:19 PM

Oh yum!! I can't wait to try this. If only it weren't so hot that I could turn on the oven!

Nikki2777 01-30-2013 03:38 AM

BUMP!!!

This sounds delish.

Nikki

CarolynF 01-30-2013 03:47 AM

Thanks for bumping this one...