Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #121
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by josafeen View Post
So, i just took the olive oil batch out of freezer and put it in my cuisenart with some strawberry puree. Will see how the flavor is when rehardened but the initial flavor is great, even though i used regular olive oil not light. so while you can taste it in plain otherwise unflavored ice cream, it is much more subtle and maybe even complimentary in strawberry which makes sense since oo has a somewhat fruity maybe grassy flavor .....the plot thickens!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #122
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: josafeen
Ok, so from what i have been gathering, the list of oils that are actually healthy are much more narrow (checking only one source though- marks daily apple), and the light versions of olive oil are supposedly no bueno hoever, it got me thinking about another idea- healthy animal fat. I happen to have some home grown and home rendered goat fat..... I know it sounds gross but its actually a delightful fat with a mild flavor and smell..... Hmmmmm.
I am concerned because animal fats are solid, but inwonder how the melted fat would do when emulsified with almond milk?

ETA- Nevermind. No workie.

Last edited by josafeen; 01-05-2013 at 11:00 AM..
josafeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #123
Junior LCF Member

I'm going to try walnut oil I know its pricey but for something that is a treat, and you dont use much of, i think itd be worth it Will post results.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
I'm going to try walnut oil I know its pricey but for something that is a treat, and you dont use much of, i think itd be worth it Will post results.
Had no idea about olive oil. What about macadamia nut oil? I do have that from Netrition.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
OK...just throwing this out FWIW...how about swapping out the almond milk for full fat coconut milk? Wouldn't that solve the 'fat' issue?
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #126
Junior LCF Member

Macadamia nut oil sounds wonderful .
As for coconut milk, it is good, and ive used that before and it works, its just different
Old 01-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Macadamia nut oil sounds wonderful .
As for coconut milk, it is good, and ive used that before and it works, its just different
Got it. I've never made ice cream with coconut milk (although I love the stuff), but I suppose there would be a hint of an aftertaste. Other than that, is there any other discernible difference?
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2011
Cream cheese? I have not tried this but have wanted to. . . it's what is used in Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream cookbook as part of the base.
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:37 AM   #129
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rlconner
WOE: Modified Atkins/paleo/
Start Date: Jan 2012
I think the key to making low sugar ice creams that don't turn to blocks of ice may be . . . Heat and cream cheese. I have adapted recipes from Jeni's, and she has this drill: put the milk, cream and flavoring (such as vanilla) into a saucepan. Bring to a boil for four minutes. Then add your thickener. She uses cornstarch and boils for one more minute. I've added Guar gum here. Then, one more trick: whisk 1/8 tsp salt into 3T cream cheese. Now whisk the cream mixture into the cream cheese. The combination is unfailingly smoo and creamy
Rlconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlconner View Post
I think the key to making low sugar ice creams that don't turn to blocks of ice may be . . . Heat and cream cheese. I have adapted recipes from Jeni's, and she has this drill: put the milk, cream and flavoring (such as vanilla) into a saucepan. Bring to a boil for four minutes. Then add your thickener. She uses cornstarch and boils for one more minute. I've added Guar gum here. Then, one more trick: whisk 1/8 tsp salt into 3T cream cheese. Now whisk the cream mixture into the cream cheese. The combination is unfailingly smoo and creamy

I was just thinking about this thread the other day, thanks for bumping it up.

Could you share the exact recipe you use here?
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:47 AM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bl0nd3y
Stats: 4'11 height<original weight 110lbs <current 94lbs>
WOE: Low Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: 23/08/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by greybb1 View Post
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but mixing almond milk with the low-carb protein shake is genius! Wish I had thought of that.
i hadnt yet read the instructions for the protein powder until reading this thread, and i assumed it was to be mixed with milk and have been using almond milk.... i didnt know it was supposed to be mixed with water LOL...
bl0nd3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: VonMagnum
I've gone back to experimenting again with custards and I've had some pretty good success in creating Low Carb Creme Brulee (minus the Brulee part since I haven't found a suitable carmelizing sugar substitute, so I guess it's just Creme). I modified a recipe I used for regular Creme Brulee substituting liquid sucralose for sugar. It came out super creamy and a pretty darn good substitute (I figure it's right around 3-4 carbs per serving) so I can't help but wonder how it would fare in the ice cream maker rather than baking it in a water bath.

Here's the basics:

Low Carb Creme (custard):

2 cups whipping cream
64 drops liquid sucralose
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
5 egg yolks

(hand whisk ingredients and here's where you'd put them into 6 ramekin dishes in a hot water bath and bake in the oven for 45-55 minutes at 235 degrees and cool, but I'm thinking of putting it in the ice cream maker instead next time and see what happens). It's pretty high calorie but low carb. It was simply awesome as a creme/custard.

Likewise, I found a way to make low carb vanilla (I suppose any flavor really) "pudding" and I can't help but wonder how a similar mixture would fare in the ice cream maker as well (perhaps with slightly modified ratios). I may try this one soon as well:

Low Carb Instant Pudding

6oz of unsweetened almond milk
16 drops of liquid sucralose
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon Xanthan Gum
1.5 tablespoons whipping cream

Place ingredients in a blender (I use a Magic Bullet style blender type setup for creating easy serving dishes at the same time) and blend for about 20-40 seconds until firm. The texture reminds me of tapioca (not slimy and the the whipping cream is key to getting the texture just right so it and the Xanthan gum can be adjusted to taste; less of the latter makes it more like yogurt and more makes it firmer; the cream bulks it up to full body. Without the cream, it's more yogurt like once again; I was shocked at how much difference the cream makes).

In any case, I think the vanilla pudding tastes almost just like an instant tapioca (without the little pearls). Actually, it reminds me of "Thank You" brand out of a can (not the best, but for ~90 calories and almost ZERO carbs (save 7g of fiber from the Xanthan Gum) I'll take it. I have no idea what the ice cream maker will do to it (might need to add a few egg yolks or glycerin) but it's about as low cal/low carb as I can get a good tasting dessert to be. You can, of course, add any flavoring extract instead (I tried raspberry vanilla also and it was good). I suppose it also makes a good fiber supplement at 7g per serving. (BTW, do NOT use GUAR gum instead of Xanthan Gum; it's utterly odd tasting here and has the texture of slime whereas Xanthan comes out much more like pudding and imparts no real flavor of its own)

I'll probably tinker with both in the ice cream maker in the next few days and see what happens, but they make nice desserts on their own.

I was going to post both those recipes in the Recipe Room since I found them to be great on their own, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to post in that forum. I see no post button anywhere.
VonMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Good to see you here, VonMagnum! Tagatose carmelizes beautifully. . . . I haven't used a torch with it but under the broiler on low it works fine. On high it scorches in seconds. Thanks for the recipe--keep us posted on your ice cream experiments.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone, i just thought i would add a bit of info iv managed to find -

In an thread post, someone was trialing the results of gums as stabilizers in his icecream here are the results =

Preparation method:
Heat milk and cream to near boiling, then add sugar and vanilla.
Let cool. While cooling, add stabilizer & whisk to thoroughly incorporate.
Continue cooling overnight in refrigerator, then prepare as per machine instructions

Test Results:
A. Inspection of mix right after adding stabilizer:
Sample 1 (guar gum only): taffy-like
Sample 2 (guar gum and carrageenan): gelatinous- similar to the effect of adding gelatin

B. Inspection after ice cream machine preparation is complete but before hardening in freezer:
Sample 1 (guar gum only):
- visual: very smooth, consistency almost taffy-like. Similar to some Italian gelatos, but not as dense
- taste / mouthfeel: very chewy, & elastic.

Sample 2 (guar gum and carrageenan):
- visual: smooth, consistency marshmallow-like. Reminds me of cheap supermarket ice milk
- taste / mouthfeel: soft and pliant.

C. Inspection after hardening in freezer:
- visual: easy to scoop. Ice cream very pliant (can push into mix & it will push back). Feels similar to plaster – ice cream crystals are held together as if by glue
- taste: Good feel on palate. some loss of taste (e.g. sugar less pronounced, ice may be more pronounced on palate)

- visual: easy to scoop. Similar to store-bought hardened ice cream (although more strongly bound)
- taste: gummy. Flavor is more pronounced than with Sample 1 (can taste more milk / sugar / flavoring.)

Another Gentleman on a thread has used xanthan gum in his ice cream recipes which he has used skim milk - which gave the ice-cream a grainy, crystal ice texture when frozen which he wasnt fond of so to combat the issue, he used xanthan gum to which he says = My last batch was great, far less grainy and icy, but still not quit right.

so Xanthan Gum appears to help slightly,
or perhaps a mix of all the gums mentioned would help -

but also while looking through some food ingredients i found an ice-cream emulsifier which is called cremodan =

CREMODAN® enhances your process robustness and product quality in terms of texture, appearance and shelf life. It will help you reach your nutrition targets, like low fat, low sugar, with no compromise on stability and texture - they have alternate mixes

Cremodan® IcePro - Consistent and high quality in products without going through a hardening tunnel
Perfect for products with high water activity and products with inferior quality of proteins

Cremodan® CREAMLINE - Extra creaminess to existing formulations
Creamier taste in low-fat products

Cremodan® SoftServe - Facilitates air incorporation
Smooth body and texture
Ice crystal growth retardation
Creaminess
Overrun stabilization

but if your after the opposite, theres Polysorbate 8 = Polysorbate 80 liquid, (a viscous, water-soluble yellow liquid), is used as an emulsifier in food manufacture including ice cream. It makes the ice cream smoother and increases the resistance to melting. By adding polysorbate 80 it prevents milk proteins from completely coating the fat droplets in ice cream. By doing this it allows them to join together and capture air in the mixture.

If those who are interested in making a low fat low carb icecream - since the whipping of cream fat initially provides the air bubbles to give the ice-cream its softness, as much as people are apposed to using gelatine in icecream, i think a little bit of gelatine is needed if you wish to add air bubbles, and keep the air bubbles in place while in the ice-cream maker.

It appears as though all the ingredients in small portions would provide the perfect scoopable icecream, i noticed Dianafoot said she used glycerine in her ice-cream which created a slimy texture, apparently these stabilizers ar ebest used as 0.5-0.9% of the recipe, so perhaps to much was added? But anyway heres a list of emulsifiers i could find, aswell as any other tips or advise for softer, creamier ice-cream

Stabilizers - They maintain the consistency of the food
Food stabilisers do not allow the separation of ingredients that are bound together by emulsifiers.
-Alginic acid
-Agar agar
-gelatin
-Pectin or calcium chloride are used as food stabilisers in dairy products
-Lecithin and mono- and digycerides

Emulsifiers - Food emulsifiers act as an interface between the conflicting components of food like water and oil.
While preparing the food, often conflicting natural components of food have to be combined into a consistent and pleasing blend. Each component of food (carbohydrate, protein, oil and fat, water, air, etc.) has its own properties which are sometimes conflicting to one another just like oil and water. To make the two components compatible, emulsifiers are used, so this prevents the water being released for the molecules and would prevent crystallization
- Egg Yolk emulsifying agent lecithin
- Honey
- Mustard
- Soy lecithin
- CSL Calcium Stearoyl Di Laciate
- PolyGlycerol Ester (PGE)
- Sorbitan Ester (SOE)
- PG Ester (PGME)
- Sugar Ester (SE)
- Monoglyceride (MG)
- Acetylated Monoglyceride (AMG)
- Lactylated Monoglyceride (LMG)

And as far as flavouring your ice-cream goes, iv been having ALOT of success with candy oil flavourings - iv tried Lorrans, capella drops, and a few unknown brands, one of which i ruined so many batches assuming it was me, but it was the flavouring i was using, but iv finally found an awesome company who can create any flavour you request - iv recently requested turkish delight and honeycomb - the last flavour i requested when i placed my last order was sweet cream, so i could use it in my homemade chocolate for cream flavour, but it also works in my ice-cream to. they sell water based and oil based, so depending on your icecreams main ingredient you should buy accordingly, but they have the best flavours

* White chocolate (melt some cocoa butter, some sweetener, a tiny bit of calcium caltrate and a few drops of white chocolate flavored oil and you got yourself Low/No carb white chocolate )
* Use any oil flavorings in a low carb toffee base, and pour over nuts to coat them. then you have "any flavour" candied nuts

some other unique flavours which can be added to ice-cream
Gummi Bears, Wild Cherry, Watermelon, tutti fruiti, Strawbery lemonaid, Spice, Rose candy, root beer, Pumkpkin Pie, Pina Colada, Pear, peaches&cream, Mojito, Marshmallow, margarita, Licorice, Horchata, Honey, Grape, English Toffee, Creme Brulee, cotton candy, Cinnamon candy, Cherry coconut, passionfruit, lime, Champagne and strawberry, Chai latte, Caramel apple, butter rum, bubble-gum, Brown sugar, Banana cream - and that is just a few of their flavours. when you get to the site, the flavours that are within the list box are NOT all the flavours, as i was searching for one in particular and couldnt find it in the chart, but found it after i scrolled down the list of flavours - so just scroll down folks.

I know we are not allowed to post links on the boards so instead i will say - Google candyflavor and it Should be the first listed.

Anyway, ill stop my blabbering, i should really be working out, not on the computer LOL.... happy ice-cream making fellow low carbers !!
Old 08-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #135
Senior LCF Member

some more info on cremodan ..... ok now im really going off to exercise LOL

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Cremodan SE 709 is a fully integrated blend of emulsifier (Mono- and Di-glycerides of fatty acids) and
stabilisers (Locust Bean Gum, Guar Gum and Carrageenan).

INGREDIENT LIST
Emulsifier E471, Stabilisers E412, E415, E407

APPLICATION AND USER INSTRUCTIONS
The product is designed as an integrated emulsifier and stabiliser for use in hardened ice creams.
The suggested addition levels are 0.55% (for an 8% fat ice cream); 0.50% (for a 10% fat ice cream)
and 0.45% (for a 12% fat ice cream). Cremodan SE 709 can be added directly to the ice cream mix
at any stage during preparation prior to pasteurisation and homogenisation.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl0nd3y View Post
Hi everyone, i just thought i would add a bit of info iv managed to find -

In an thread post, someone was trialing the results of gums as stabilizers in his icecream here are the results =

Preparation method:
Heat milk and cream to near boiling, then add sugar and vanilla.
Let cool. While cooling, add stabilizer & whisk to thoroughly incorporate.
Continue cooling overnight in refrigerator, then prepare as per machine instructions

Test Results:
A. Inspection of mix right after adding stabilizer:
Sample 1 (guar gum only): taffy-like
Sample 2 (guar gum and carrageenan): gelatinous- similar to the effect of adding gelatin

B. Inspection after ice cream machine preparation is complete but before hardening in freezer:
- visual: very smooth, consistency almost taffy-like. Similar to some Italian gelatos, but not as dense
- taste / mouthfeel: very chewy, & elastic.

- visual: smooth, consistency marshmallow-like. Reminds me of cheap supermarket ice milk
- taste / mouthfeel: soft and pliant.

C. Inspection after hardening in freezer:
- visual: easy to scoop. Ice cream very pliant (can push into mix & it will push back). Feels similar to plaster – ice cream crystals are held together as if by glue
- taste: Good feel on palate. some loss of taste (e.g. sugar less pronounced, ice may be more pronounced on palate)

- visual: easy to scoop. Similar to store-bought hardened ice cream (although more strongly bound)
- taste: gummy. Flavor is more pronounced than with Sample 1 (can taste more milk / sugar / flavoring.)

Another Gentleman on a thread has used xanthan gum in his ice cream recipes which he has used skim milk - which gave the ice-cream a grainy, crystal ice texture when frozen which he wasnt fond of so to combat the issue, he used xanthan gum to which he says = My last batch was great, far less grainy and icy, but still not quit right.

so Xanthan Gum appears to help slightly,
or perhaps a mix of all the gums mentioned would help -

but also while looking through some food ingredients i found an ice-cream emulsifier which is called cremodan =

CREMODAN® enhances your process robustness and product quality in terms of texture, appearance and shelf life. It will help you reach your nutrition targets, like low fat, low sugar, with no compromise on stability and texture - they have alternate mixes

Cremodan® IcePro - Consistent and high quality in products without going through a hardening tunnel
Perfect for products with high water activity and products with inferior quality of proteins

Cremodan® CREAMLINE - Extra creaminess to existing formulations
Creamier taste in low-fat products

Cremodan® SoftServe - Facilitates air incorporation
Smooth body and texture
Ice crystal growth retardation
Creaminess
Overrun stabilization

but if your after the opposite, theres Polysorbate 8 = Polysorbate 80 liquid, (a viscous, water-soluble yellow liquid), is used as an emulsifier in food manufacture including ice cream. It makes the ice cream smoother and increases the resistance to melting. By adding polysorbate 80 it prevents milk proteins from completely coating the fat droplets in ice cream. By doing this it allows them to join together and capture air in the mixture.

If those who are interested in making a low fat low carb icecream - since the whipping of cream fat initially provides the air bubbles to give the ice-cream its softness, as much as people are apposed to using gelatine in icecream, i think a little bit of gelatine is needed if you wish to add air bubbles, and keep the air bubbles in place while in the ice-cream maker.

It appears as though all the ingredients in small portions would provide the perfect scoopable icecream, i noticed Dianafoot said she used glycerine in her ice-cream which created a slimy texture, apparently these stabilizers ar ebest used as 0.5-0.9% of the recipe, so perhaps to much was added? But anyway heres a list of emulsifiers i could find, aswell as any other tips or advise for softer, creamier ice-cream

Stabilizers - They maintain the consistency of the food
Food stabilisers do not allow the separation of ingredients that are bound together by emulsifiers.
-Alginic acid
-Agar agar
-gelatin
-Pectin or calcium chloride are used as food stabilisers in dairy products
-Lecithin and mono- and digycerides

Emulsifiers - Food emulsifiers act as an interface between the conflicting components of food like water and oil.
While preparing the food, often conflicting natural components of food have to be combined into a consistent and pleasing blend. Each component of food (carbohydrate, protein, oil and fat, water, air, etc.) has its own properties which are sometimes conflicting to one another just like oil and water. To make the two components compatible, emulsifiers are used, so this prevents the water being released for the molecules and would prevent crystallization
- Egg Yolk emulsifying agent lecithin
- Honey
- Mustard
- Soy lecithin
- CSL Calcium Stearoyl Di Laciate
- PolyGlycerol Ester (PGE)
- Sorbitan Ester (SOE)
- PG Ester (PGME)
- Sugar Ester (SE)
- Monoglyceride (MG)
- Acetylated Monoglyceride (AMG)
- Lactylated Monoglyceride (LMG)

And as far as flavouring your ice-cream goes, iv been having ALOT of success with candy oil flavourings - iv tried Lorrans, capella drops, and a few unknown brands, one of which i ruined so many batches assuming it was me, but it was the flavouring i was using, but iv finally found an awesome company who can create any flavour you request - iv recently requested turkish delight and honeycomb - the last flavour i requested when i placed my last order was sweet cream, so i could use it in my homemade chocolate for cream flavour, but it also works in my ice-cream to. they sell water based and oil based, so depending on your icecreams main ingredient you should buy accordingly, but they have the best flavours

* White chocolate (melt some cocoa butter, some sweetener, a tiny bit of calcium caltrate and a few drops of white chocolate flavored oil and you got yourself Low/No carb white chocolate )
* Use any oil flavorings in a low carb toffee base, and pour over nuts to coat them. then you have "any flavour" candied nuts

some other unique flavours which can be added to ice-cream
Gummi Bears, Wild Cherry, Watermelon, tutti fruiti, Strawbery lemonaid, Spice, Rose candy, root beer, Pumkpkin Pie, Pina Colada, Pear, peaches&cream, Mojito, Marshmallow, margarita, Licorice, Horchata, Honey, Grape, English Toffee, Creme Brulee, cotton candy, Cinnamon candy, Cherry coconut, passionfruit, lime, Champagne and strawberry, Chai latte, Caramel apple, butter rum, bubble-gum, Brown sugar, Banana cream - and that is just a few of their flavours. when you get to the site, the flavours that are within the list box are NOT all the flavours, as i was searching for one in particular and couldnt find it in the chart, but found it after i scrolled down the list of flavours - so just scroll down folks.

I know we are not allowed to post links on the boards so instead i will say - Google candyflavor and it Should be the first listed.

Anyway, ill stop my blabbering, i should really be working out, not on the computer LOL.... happy ice-cream making fellow low carbers !!
Thanks for all of the great info. I'm interested in those flavorings (for a lot of purposes!) in particularly. But - on the topic of ice cream - can you share what recipe you are using and if you are having success? I have taken a bit of an ice cream hiatus myself but hope to get back to it soon. Thanks again!