Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonMagnum View Post
I made two batches last night. I made a Raspberry gelato based on the vanilla one that worked so well (i.e. added raspberries to that recipe) and I made a vanilla premium ice cream with egg yolks added to see what effect it had on smoothness (i.e. the 2.5/0.75 ratio that worked with glycerine and guar gum but with 3 egg yolks added). I used half Splenda and half Stevia (still granulated forms as I'm waiting for the liquid ones and erythritol orders to arrive).

The raspberry was insanely delicious as in the best raspberry I've ever tasted (I used almost the entire half pint in a quart) and was pretty smooth as soft-serve and really fairly smooth as hard pack, but it did freeze a bit hard. 12-15 minutes time sitting out fixed that). The vanilla ice cream was super creamy and the flavor was great an this morning it was perfect consistency, but I went back to bed and a few hours later it did freeze a bit hard (not as hard as the gelato) and about 8-10 minutes and it was very scoopable again. I think the egg yolks raised the freezing temperature as it only took 35 minutes to finish whereas without them, I think it was more like 45 minutes. Erythritol raises it into the 50-65 minute range on most recipes on this machine.

If anything, though, the egg yolks combined with that much cream may have been just a bit too creamy (stuck to the top of my mouth a bit once fully frozen) and so I think more almond milk and/or less cream may be an improvement for mouth feel (1:1 ratio worked well for egg yolks + glycerine). The taste was lovely, though.
Sorry, I am confused. Can you print this revised recipe please? It sound different than the one above, leaving out the cream completely and using egg yolks. Thanks so much, can't wait to try it!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: VonMagnum
The Raspberry Gelato was:

2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1 cup whipping cream
10 teaspoons Stevia
8 teaspoons Splenda
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 egg yolks
1-2 tablespoons glycerin (used extra to help avoid ice crystals)
1/2 pint raspberries (save a handful to add the last 5 minutes for chunks)
1 teaspoon guar gum

Mix without guar gum and cream then add while still mixing. Put in machine and add remaining raspberries in the last 5-8 minutes to have chunks of raspberry in the gelato. Reverse cream and milk ratios for ice cream.

The vanilla ice cream was:

2.5 cups whipping cream
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 teaspoons Stevia
8 teaspoons Splenda
1 tablespoon glycerin
3 egg yolks
1 teaspoon guar gum

Based on the outcome here, I'd either remove the egg yolks or reduce the cream to milk ratio in the future to avoid over-creaminess (sticking to roof of mouth). Basically, I just keep varying some things to see what happens (positive or negative).

The next day I made Chocolate-Vanilla Ice Cream and it came out perfect (but like the past few times, it does freeze a bit harder than I'd prefer, but otherwise was perfect):

Chocolate-Vanilla Ice Cream:

2 cups whipping cream
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
10 teaspoons Stevia
8 teaspoons Splenda
5 heaping teaspoons Nestle unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla
1.5 tablespoons glycerin (no egg yolks this time)
1 teaspoon guar gum

Mixed everything in blender except cream and guar gum for 15-20 seconds and then added guar gum and continued to mix another 12 seconds or so and then poured in cream as it mixed for another 10 seconds on high (thick like pudding). Pour in machine. Comes out ULTRA-Smooth (like smoother than custard; like pudding really). It soft froze into the perfect consistency (but was a bit harder than I'd like the next day so I had to let it sit 10 minutes or so). My mother was visiting and she liked this one the best (raspberry second). She liked the flavor of the vanilla, but didn't care for the stick-to-roof texture when it had fully frozen (it didn't do that in the initial soft-serve)
VonMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you very much for posting these. One question, in the chocolate/vanilla, you say 10 teaspoons of Stevia. The only powdered Stevia I have is NuStevia, pure extract and from what I have gleaned, 1/8 teaspoon = 1 cup of sweetening. What Stevia did you use?
Old 05-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #94
Senior LCF Member

It was what I could get locally (still waiting on my liquid stuff), namely Stevia In The Raw (i.e. it has dextrose in it just like Splenda granular has maltodextrin in it, both at around 0.5g carbs per teaspoon). 1.5 teaspoons of Stevia In The Raw = 1 teaspoon sugar, supposedly, although I find Splenda granular and Stevia in the Raw measure relatively similar (I never use sugar so I have no idea how much would be needed in the same recipe; I'd have to add/taste to figure it out).
Old 06-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2011
Tilly -- what kind of nunaturals stevia powder do you have? (I started doing the sweet math for the kind I have -- white powder from extract -- below but would be happy to figure yours as well.)

VonMagnum -- Is your "Stevia in the Raw" from the small packets or the big "baker's bag?"

If it's the bakers bag, it's roughly the same sweetness of sugar.
10 t. stevia in the raw (bulk bag) = 10 t. sugar
1/2 t. of nustevia white powder = sweetness of 2 t. of sugar
which should mean that 2 1/2 t. nustevia = 10 t. stevia in the raw (bulk)

What I don't know is how many teaspoons of stevia in the raw are in each one of the packets. If it's 1 packet = 1 teaspoon, then. . .

If it's the small packets, it looks like this:
10 t. stevia in the raw (packets) = 5 t. sugar
1/2 t. of nustevia white powder = sweetness of 2 t. sugar
which should mean that 1 1/4 t. nustevia = 10 t. stevia in the raw

. . . but thinking about it, 1 t. sounds like more than would be in those packets. If you're using the packets, let me know and I'l re-figure.

Note: math (particularly sweet math) is not my strong-suit. Proceed with caution & absolutely don't hesitate to correct my calculation if it seems wrong!
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here is the link from Netrition:

NuNaturals NuStevia Pure White Stevia Extract Powder

thank you!

Last edited by Tilly; 06-03-2012 at 03:24 PM..
Old 06-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #97
Senior LCF Member

(In case anyone is wondering, it looks like Tilly and I have the same kind of nustevia white powder extract. But mine is from a really big container that I inherited from a friend--and is less concentrated. Unless you have enough stevia on hand to sweeten hand pies for an army's worth of folks, hold tight until we do the 1 oz container, which is what nutrition sells.)
Old 06-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

I have the bag version of Stevia In The Raw (the first time I bought some I had the packets since they don't sell the bags at the local store, but my mother brought a bag with her when she came to visit).

In any case, I got my liquid Sucralose and Stevia in and I just tried making a batch with about 1/2 almond milk and 1/2 cream. It was an unmitigated DISASTER. Something was just HORRIBLY HORRIBLY wrong with it. I was afraid without the dextrose in the granulated Sucralose or Stevia that maybe it would be icier or something, but this goes beyond anything I imagined. Oddly, the flavor itself was great, but the texture was a nightmare.

It was a bit icy (more cream or using egg yolks in it might have helped that aspect), but not inedible in that regard. The REAL problem is that all these little tiny 'clumps' of "something" (looked like tapioca or something visually) formed and some of the large ones were kind of gummy. As the leftover mixture melted in the container, I could rub the clumps in my fingers and they just turned into 'cream goo' as far as I can tell. That might explain the iciness since I think the milk separated from the cream or maybe those were tiny bits of almond they decided to clump to from the milk or something. I really can't tell for sure. I did use Silk brand this time (all they had in stock at the store I was at) instead of Almond Breeze (which I was mostly using), but I doubt that would explain it.

The mixture was perfect out of the blender. It was silky, semi-thick and tasted great. But once it started freezing, it separated. As soon as I saw it looked odd, I added more glycerin thinking it needed more emulsifier (i.e. ice crystals were forming early), but these aren't ice crystals, but gummy cream clumps.

It's hard to believe that dextrose and/or maltodextrin makes ALL the difference between perfect ice cream and "this". I cannot recommend liquid sweeteners at this time (unless I can figure out a way around it). I do have 3lbs of erythritol so I'll have to try using 1/2 that and 1/4 each of Sucralose and Stevia next time and see if that makes any difference. I suppose I could use ALL Erythritol, but the stuff is pretty darn expensive (but then so is Sucralose and Stevia). In fact, to get the same sweetness as 18 heaping teaspoons (9 each of sucralose and stevia), I had to use 2x the dosages listed on the bottle (i.e. 18 drops of Sucralose and around 60 of Stevia, which is 1/3 to 1/4 the sweetness concentration of the liquid sucralose by their own measurements, which means it's actually the equivalent of 3-4x the cost since you only get 148 servings per bottle instead of 800 for the same relative price liquid sucralose).

For now, though, when I say Splenda or Stevia in the above recipes, I mean granulated. I cannot vouch for the results substituting liquid versions as it came out terrible here this time (didn't stop me from eating it, though; the flavor was still good; I just don't like gummy clumps of cream in my ice milk and it was like ice milk with cream clumps).
Old 06-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member

I tried making ice cream with just Erythritol (and a bit of glycerin as an emulsifier) today as a base line towards the idea of combining Erythritol and liquid Sucralose and/or Stevia. The results are a mixed bag. It produced great soft-serve (nice and smooth as can be) but it freezes weird (like not really grainy icy, but almost like a super smooth yet very hard micro-ice texture that melts back into soft-serve fairly quickly compared to other batches). It's like it has a lower freezing point (I suppose Erythritol is a sugar alcohol and alcohol definitely has that effect and makes the churn time longer in all previous mixes), but somehow isn't structurally quite right as it freezes hard eventually anyway. That's still a huge improvement over that bizarre "bead clump" effect I got with just liquid sweeteners. It also tastes just ever so slightly 'off' compared to true sugar and/or combinations. It's close, though and certainly not bad tasting in any case (better than straight Stevia, which can be a bit odd tasting all by itself). Of course, it's also pretty expensive ($8 a pound when I buy in 3lb increments and closer to $12 a pound in 1lb increments).

It's becoming obvious that the sweetener has a HUGE effect on the overall outcome of the ice cream. Its certainly not just a sweetener, but prevents separation, clumping and ice crystals from becoming too large and greatly affects the freezing point as well. Erythritol may look more like table sugar, but clearly it doesn't behave just like it (something that is obvious from baking comments elsewhere that mix it and candy bars that definitely don't come out right without something else for texture).

I'm guessing at this point the reason that Splenda Granular and Stevia Granular forms work pretty darn well (so long as Glycerin and/or egg yolks are used plus a bit of guar or Xanthan or some other gum as a stabilizer) is that they have quite a bit of dextrose and/or maltodextrin (both of which are forms of glucose and thus a form of SUGAR) and thus even though their total actual sugar content is much lower, it still has enough to stabilize the ice cream into something that can be made to work well save perhaps the hard freezing effect (which didn't happen in a few recipes, but I can't seem to lock down the EXACT mechanism that made those batches different; it seems to be a combination of things).

At this point, I don't think Erythritol + Liquid Sucralose and/or Stevia would work well. It would be a down-hill drop from Erythritol only and it's already flawed. It MIGHT make OK soft-serve at a certain ratio since this was a good soft-serve for the most part (other than the slightly off aftertaste Erythritol seems to impart when it's used alone).

I'm thinking the next thing to try would be half liquid sweetener and half granular. That would cut the carbs in half and might still be stable. OTOH, I don't see how it would turn out any better/different than mixing granular Splenda or Stevia with Erythritol (which worked great) as the carbs would be essentially the same. Perhaps a mixture with all three would get the carb count down 1/3 more and still work, but that's asking a lot of people to get all those different sweeteners and eating slightly less ice cream at a sitting would have the same effect, I think.

I'm trying to cut back on how much ice cream I consume so I don't add too many extra calories and carbs each week, so I may not get to the next test for another week or more, although I might do one tomorrow. But given the liquid results, I think I'm running out of combinations to try anyway. I could try using powdered milk solids or the like as a solid substitute and see what happens, but I think that would add about the same amount of carbs as just using a granular form of sucralose and/or Stevia so the net gain would be nothing (unless it made the texture a lot better or something).

Anyway, the Erythritol Vanilla Ice Cream I made was:

1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk (Almond Breeze brand)
2 cups whipping cream
20 slightly heaping teaspoons Erythritol
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon glycerin
~3/4 to 1 teaspoon guar gum

I mixed everything but guar and cream and then added guar and then cream and put in the machine. It took close to an hour in the NewAir (Erythritol seems to lengthen the freezing time whereas egg yolks tend to shorten it by comparison).
Old 06-06-2012, 02:49 AM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you so much, VonMagnum for doing so much research on this and then going into such detail on your results. I had been wondering the same thing about the sweeteners in ice cream. I have been using Jennifer's recipes for ice cream and she uses graunulated Splenda. I believe somewhere I had asked about using the liquid and then she warned me about using it in ice cream. But since the warning was kind of vague, I never was sure about what it would do. And since I have not made much ice cream so far this summer (good thing?) never got around to experimenting. Nice to have so many options
Old 06-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Liquid sucralose does work great for liquids, thus far. I use it in coffee and my protein/almond shakes and it tastes the same as using granulated to me. I think the ice cream simply needs something in the dextrose to behave right.

Like I thought, the pure erythritol batch isn't right frozen. It's kind of like that "dippin dots" liquid nitrogen frozen stuff in texture, except it's a big block, not nice little dots. The flavor is still good; it's just not creamy to the tongue and it's impossible to scoop (breaks in chunks).
Old 06-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Circling back to the stevia in the raw to the nustevia white powder (1 oz size from netrition) conversion -- ever so slowly as it has been a crazy week.

Assumptions (from web):

1 cup stevia in the raw (bulk bag) = sweetness of 1 cup sugar
3/4 t. nustevia = sweetness of 1 c. (or 48 t.) sugar

So that means:

0.015625 t. nustevia = sweetness of 1 t. stevia in the raw
5/16 nustevia = sweetness of 10 t. stevia in the raw

I used to have a 1/16 t. measuring spoon. Guess what? It was really small. All of this is to say that if you want to try VonMagnum's chocolate vanilla ice cream recipe with 10 t. of stevia in the raw, you can sub roughly 1/4 t. nustevia white powder extract and a "pinch" more.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #103
Senior LCF Member

I have had decent success with some of the ice cream recipes posted on this site -- but haven't been good like VanMagnum at documenting. A combination of erythritol and liquid splenda didn't give me the weird texture VonMagnum is describing. (But xylitol -- ooh, that was a disaster -- I didn't know ice cream could be produced as a crumbly brick. It can, trust me on this one.) I did always powder the granulated erythritol super well and heat it in a custard base Also at that time I was not eating nuts or nut products, so no almond milk -- just a mix of low carb milk or 1/2 and half and cream. That may do something to help solve for the texture problem?

None of this solves for chocolate, which is an issue. Who am I kidding? It is THE issue.

NB: the thickening agents used in different almond milks are very different. I've never used the silk one, but it has a combination of several thickeners where some of the competitor versions stick to just one. Not sure how much difference that makes, either.

Happy experimenting!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Thought I should post the basic recipe that I did have success with a while back. It's at http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/621104-ice-cream-recipe.html#post12044153.

Really, I'm going away now.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalatraza View Post
I have had decent success with some of the ice cream recipes posted on this site -- but haven't been good like VanMagnum at documenting. A combination of erythritol and liquid splenda didn't give me the weird texture VonMagnum is describing. (But xylitol -- ooh, that was a disaster -- I didn't know ice cream could be produced as a crumbly brick. It can, trust me on this one.)
Crumbly is sort of how I would describe how the pure erythritol ice cream came out. It was perfectly fine as soft-serve, but became hard/crumbly as ice cream (like a very large dippin dot, which is why I assume they keep those things dot size). And that had no liquid sweetener, just erythritol. Now mixing Erythritol with granulated Splenda and/or Stevia worked very well (at least it cuts the carbs in half). I am curious how egg yolks would affect it. Maybe a 1/3 erythritol, 1/3 liquid sweetener, 1/3 granulated sweetener combination would work OK with egg yolks added to really increase the emulsifiers without adding a bunch of glycerin carbs (which is still not clear to me on paper or in actual use whether they 'count' in full or even in part or not at all, so I like to use as little as I can get away with and egg yolks are low in carbs by comparison (0.4-0.8 for an average medium to large yolk I think).

As for milk, I suppose Silk brand could have affected it oddly seeing as I used Almond Breeze 'most' of the time in prior experiments. It could be that a different gum might work better with liquid sweeteners or something (I've been using guar lately since most commercial ice creams use it, but Xanthan behaved seemed to behave 'similarly'. It's when I combined them that I got some odd results (kind of slimy).

Without trying every possible combination it's hard to be sure what will happen. The little gummy chunks in that liquid one really threw me. I did not expect that at all. I thought it might be icier, but guar gum sticking to cream bits and making hard little pebbles? That was BIZARRE. It's like it needed a LOT more emulsifier to make up for no dextrose/filler or something and 1 tablespoon of glycerin wasn't going to cut it. Egg yolks might have been helpful, but then maybe not if it was some kind of weird chemical thing. I hate to even try something similar again given the ingredients aren't cheap to waste if it goes horribly wrong again.

As it is, I'm probably happy to go with what I know works well and just have it less often or something than keep getting disappointing batches trying to get a zero calorie, zero carb dessert (if it COULD be done, I'm sure Breyers or someone would have done it by now). I found Breyers Carb Smart the other day at a local grocery (they must have been out before), but they only make vanilla and I despise regular Breyers, let alone Carb Smart, which is just shy of inedible.

I'll probably try egg yolks + glycerin + erythritol + liquid sweetener next and see what happens, though. Egg yolks did wonders for less cream content (i.e. you don't want the water separating into ice crystals and that seems to be where emulsifiers really help with just a little stabilizer to keep it together (i.e. a gum).

Quote:
None of this solves for chocolate, which is an issue. Who am I kidding? It is THE issue.
What problem are you having with chocolate? Splenda didn't make it sweet enough by itself, but combined with Stevia, it came out very nice, IMO (although it was chocolate-vanilla like a Wendy's frosty, not pure chocolate as neither of us care for pure chocolate ice cream). My mother said it was her favorite and given how great the raspberry tasted (I suppose the texture was inferior, though), I took that as a compliment. She said it was so light and fluffy, though she couldn't exactly call it ice cream. She said it was smoother even than the smoothest local custard stand (which is 2x-3x smoother than Dairy Queen's soft-serve).
Old 06-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #106
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalatraza View Post
Thought I should post the basic recipe that I did have success with a while back. It's at http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/621104-ice-cream-recipe.html#post12044153.

Really, I'm going away now.
NOoooooo, don't go away, I have some questions, please? I looked at that recipe you referenced. So you CAN use the liquid Splenda in this one? What flavors of syrup did you experiment with? Have you made it this year?
Old 06-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

VonMagnum -- Chocolate problem is just as you suspect, trying to get a really deep chocolate flavor. Splenda and chocolate always tastes funny to me and cutting it with erythritol hasn't quite fixed it. Maybe next time I'll try three different sweeteners?

Tilly-- I made locarbman's recipe a few times this winter. Only tried vanilla and hazelnut because those are the two syrups I had on hand. It's a solid recipe but not quite as creamy as I'd like, probably because the moisture content from the syrup doesn't have any fat to go with it? That's my best guess.

I did use EZ Sweetz and as far as I know it didn't cause any problems. Vaguely I remember a remark on one of Jen E's recipes or blogs where she wasn't sure if using a liquid sweetener would mess up the recipe or not and hadn't tested it. That was probably after I'd made this recipe, though!

Clearly I'll be making ice cream this weekend. Will y'all? Report in!
Old 06-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Splenda + Stevia gave me a chocolate flavor I liked. Like you say, maybe all three would do even better yet?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
How's the ice cream doing??

Found the "right" recipe yet?
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am sticking with Jennifer's custard. Creamy and tastes just like I remember ice cream to taste. I added glycerin this last time to see if it would be scoopable when just out of the freezer. It helped and going to add 2 tablespoons next time instead of 1. I used part EZ Sweetz and part granular Splenda, so that is why it is a bit hard. It really is not a bother,though, I just pull out a container a little before I know I am going to eat it, and then it is fine for scooping.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
I am sticking with Jennifer's custard. Creamy and tastes just like I remember ice cream to taste. I added glycerin this last time to see if it would be scoopable when just out of the freezer. It helped and going to add 2 tablespoons next time instead of 1. I used part EZ Sweetz and part granular Splenda, so that is why it is a bit hard. It really is not a bother,though, I just pull out a container a little before I know I am going to eat it, and then it is fine for scooping.
Thanks for the update Tilly. I have yet to try Jennifer's recipe, but it's on my list!
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
How's the ice cream doing??

Found the "right" recipe yet?
I've had some issues come down with taking care of a family member and what not and haven't been on the carb diet lately or making ice cream. I'll probably get back to it eventually.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonMagnum View Post
I've had some issues come down with taking care of a family member and what not and haven't been on the carb diet lately or making ice cream. I'll probably get back to it eventually.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #114
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: josafeen
So, i have been testing and trying different recipes, and different additives (guar, glycerin, alcohol, lecithin, played with heavy cream ratio, philly vs custard, etc) to address different flaws in sugar free ice creams, and have arrived at what i think is the perfect texture and excellent flavor, and have resigned that i can go without a scoopable freeze, and instead have decided to buy the disposable single serving sized containers and put my finished ice cream into those to freeze, which (with my current recipe) will be great if i leave on on counter for 10 minutes or so to soften. The only thing with this recipe is that i still need to find a healthier replacement for canola oil (i made an olive oil ice cream recipe, and then stumbled onto an article by a vegan who uses canola to up the fat and improve texture for their soy milk ice cream, and thought i would experiment, knowing i would then have to fine tune to a different oil, if the oil was a rabbit trail worth exploring, which, i think, it is).
So- i'm sharing the recipe as is, and if i find a healthier, but still mild tasting oil which works, i'll edit to add. Also note that the olive oil is a nice ice cream, however it definitely has a distinct, although pleasant, flavor. Also, I prefer a super smooth, and very dense ice cream. That's partly why i've come to this point in the process. The fat content in heavy cream tends to fluff too easily, and when it freezes it gets too dry, resulting in crumbliness until it melts. So, i thought, hmmm, oil? That's going to be a heavier, less fluffy fat, let's give it a try. sure enough, it works, and doesnt adverseley affect flavor. I would love anyone who tries this recipe to share their experience so i can continue to fine tune. Oh, i think you could reduce the sweetener here, it's a tad sweet, but i was tweaking another recipe and this is what it started with for sugar.
)

Whiz in coffee grinder:
1/3 c erythritol stevia combo
1/4 tsp guar
1/4 tsp non gmo soy lecithin granules
scant salt

Add 1 c silk unsweetened almond milk to blender, with 1/2 tsp vanilla, then add the powdered stuff to the almond milk while on low.
Add slowly 1/3 cup oil. Set aside.

Heat 1-1/2 cup heavy cream
Beat 4 egg yolks
temper egg yolks with hot cream, add back in and whisk over low heat until it coats the spoon, being careful not to curdle it.

combine the two liquid mixtures and whisk just until thoroughly blended (don't try to whip air into it)

chill mixture before freezing in your ice cream maker. If you have the option for a slower speed, this is helpful to keep a more dense mixture.

Freeze in individual portions, and take out to soften for about 10 minutes or so and the texture will be like the super smooth, premium, dense ice cream.

Now, help me find a better oil!

ETA--the freezing issue is not only about how hard it freezes, but i have found that there is also an issue with the texture in the softening process. Sometimes the fluffy crumbly stuff. This ice cream, so far, freezes too hard to scoop, but softens up wonderfully even and creamy. So while it's not perfect in that it's not scoopable, it softens beautifully, and that's a compromise i can definitely live with

Last edited by josafeen; 01-03-2013 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: measurement typo
josafeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #115
Junior LCF Member

Oh, and as for almond milk qualities, i have found that you don't want to heat the almond milk, it kind of does some weird stuff, and the flavor is adversely affected. So the cream gets heated and and egged, the almond gets to do the emulsification and then they come together
Old 01-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This sounds interesting. I like that it does not use Splenda. I thought canola oil was not a healthy oil to use. Does the extra light olive oil still give off a flavor? Thank you for sharing results of your experimenting! And would adding glycerin help the scoopability?

Last edited by Tilly; 01-03-2013 at 03:14 PM..
Old 01-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
This sounds interesting. I like that it does not use Splenda. I thought canola oil was not a healthy oil to use. Does the extra light olive oil still give off a flavor? Thank you for sharing results of your experimenting! And would adding glycerin help the scoopability?
I was thinking of the extra light olive oil, too...I'm pretty sure it does not give off a flavor. Kind of spendy, though.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #118
Junior LCF Member

Hmmm, i have never used the light olive oil, i'll have to give that a try! As for the glycerin helping with scoopability, i would imagine so, but i recall not likig the faint taste, though i could give it another try.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
I was thinking of the extra light olive oil, too...I'm pretty sure it does not give off a flavor. Kind of spendy, though.
I don't remember the price but I buy the large container from Costco. And I use it to make my own salad dressing everyday, to get my fat in.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #120
Junior LCF Member

So, i just took the olive oil batch out of freezer and put it in my cuisenart with some strawberry puree. Will see how the flavor is when rehardened but the initial flavor is great, even though i used regular olive oil not light. so while you can taste it in plain otherwise unflavored ice cream, it is much more subtle and maybe even complimentary in strawberry which makes sense since oo has a somewhat fruity maybe grassy flavor .....the plot thickens!