Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 62
Gallery: VonMagnum
I've found an interesting book online by Angelo Corvitto on Gelato and Ice creams. It's here: Angelo Corvitto - El Libro

There's a nice chapter on emulsifiers and stabilizers. It suggests that guar gum should be given 6-12 hours to finish its enzyme actions. So I made a batch of Gelato (2:1 milk to cream ratio) with a tablespoon of glycerine (emulsifier used instead of eggs) and 1 teaspoon of guar gum (stabilizer). I used the same 9 packets of Stevia (In The Raw brand), 2 heaping teaspoons of Sucralose and 8 teaspoons of Erythritol. I also added 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil like Giant Eagle (Market District) gelato uses. I just made vanilla flavored for the test. I let the mixture sit for 10 hours overnight and put it in the machine this morning.

It was definitely an improvement. It's still a tad icy, but much creamier than the last batch at that ratio, so perhaps letting the final mixture sit once the guar gum has been added isn't a bad idea for low-cream recipes. Apparently, you should also heat regular milk to separate some molecules or enzymes that prevent creaminess, but I don't think that applies to almond milk. I don't think egg yolks 'need' to be heated for any particular effect (most people just seem to want their eggs pasteurized),but the book suggests this isn't needed if you discard the egg whites as that's where the potential bacteria is. It only recommends egg yolks for a few flavors like vanilla custard anyway. It gives a half dozen alternatives including glycerine, which is what I'm using right now. Most of the stabilizers listed are the various available gums. Guar and perhaps locust bean gum are the most common for ice cream. I read you should never use more than 1 teaspoon (total of gums) per 1 quart of ice cream, whether alone or in combination to avoid any weird textures. I've found the texture seems fine at 1 teaspoon in the past half dozen batches, whether Xanthan or guar. I actually think guar may behave slightly more like commercial ice cream when scooping, but it's close to Xanthan.

Another thing I read that may help with ice crystal formation is adding more solids (i.e. add some powdered milk to the mix). Powdered milk has some carbs, but 1 oz is only like 2g or so. It just seems like powdered milk never tastes right once reconstituted so I don't know how it might affect flavor. In small amounts, it may be negligible but still help with ice. I may buy some to see how it behaves in gelato (not needed in the ice cream recipes with more cream/butterfat content).

I've read a few conflicting bits of data, but it does sound like Haggen Dazs is the highest fat content ice cream available in large scale commercial operations. Ben & Jerry's apparently used to be similar, but they dropped the quality (to save money?) when they were bought out some years back and no longer compare (their thing seems to be candy bars and crap tossed into the mix anyway, not the basic ice cream quality itself, IMO. I guess it explains why I preferred Haggen Dazs as far as commercial stuff goes). Supposedly, it's between 14-19% butterfat depending on whom you ask online (I saw 15%, 17% and 19% in an argument online all claiming they were the correct number. Ben & Jerry's is supposedly 13%). If you use too much cream, the 'mouth factor' becomes a problem as fat will stick to the roof of your mouth for some time afterward, which is greasy feeling. I had that happen on the batch that was almost pure cream.

I think for low carb ice cream, 2.5 cups cream to 3/4 cup almond milk is about right for an excellent overall texture in both soft and hard freezes. There may be a way to improve that chemically with less cream, but nothing I've tried comes close to just using more cream to get perfect smoothness. Erythritol definitely increased the amount of time to churn, which would imply it dropped the freezing temperature, which should help with hard freezing, but in reality, it really didn't help much. Glycerine helps prevent ice crystals and guar seems to help with the freezing part, but more cream helps with both.
VonMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
PaminKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,375
Gallery: PaminKY
Thanks for the link. Looks like an interesting book.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 163
Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2011
How did your last version of vanilla ice cream turn out after it had frozen? I'd seen your note about the 1/2 c. cream recipe freezing in a way that was a bit too icy, but no note on the other one.

(Having tried so many recipes somewhat randomly, I've enjoyed your much more scientific approach! And, to be honest, I'm ready to make some ice cream that's really good. . . . ) The only thing I can add to your experimentation is that you might enjoy using some real vanilla beans instead of extracts. It really makes a huge difference. But $$, so find the base you like first.
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 62
Gallery: VonMagnum
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalatraza View Post
How did your last version of vanilla ice cream turn out after it had frozen? I'd seen your note about the 1/2 c. cream recipe freezing in a way that was a bit too icy, but no note on the other one.
Do you mean the one posted on 5-4-12? That was the 1.5/1.5 cream/milk test. It was slightly icy. 2.5 cups cream with 3/4 cup almond milk seemed to give me the best results (1/2 cup milk was a tad too much cream and 1 cup has just a hint of iciness). That was raspberry-vanilla, but given the vanilla only one previous to that with 2.5/0.5, I'm sure its relatively consistent. Both of those scooped with no difficulty (using a spoon anyway) over 24 hours later.
VonMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 62
Gallery: VonMagnum
Well, it seems that the Stevia I bought has dextrose in it, making it similar in carbs to the Splenda I was using (somewhere between 0.3-0.5g per teaspoon equivalent). What a nasty surprise (I didn't realize dextrose is the same difference as maltodextrin). This makes things difficult, to say the least. There is officially ZERO and I mean ZERO artificial sweetener products available locally without any carbs. That means I have to mail order everything. Normally, I wouldn't worry about that few carbs since other than this ice cream making stuff, I hardly use any at all (if I have coffee, maybe a teaspoon or so). But ice cream needs 16-20 teaspoons of sugar equivalent per quart (6-10g of carbs per quart, which isn't a HUGE amount unless you eat the whole quart at once, but then there's the glycerine emulsifier which adds another 6g carbs per quart and now you're at 12-16g. It still doesn't kill my diet given I don't eat much other than meat, cheese and a half dozen eggs a day, but I'm sure it'd be bad news for some on here.

Until I get some liquid versions of Stevia and/or Splenda (I'm leaning towards Splenda alone since I read liquid Stevia makes things insanely bitter if you add even a few drops too many), I won't know whether the lack of dextrose and/or malrtodextrin affects the texture in a significant manner. Another option would be to add a couple ounces of powdered milk solids to make up for it, but then you've added 6-8g of carbs once again to the batch (almost the same difference, although it might help with ice crystals in gelato ratios). I think 100% erythritol (and/or xylitol if you can stand the gas side effects) would probably work, but that stuff is VERY VERY expensive (I'm almost out of my 1st pound already and I've only used it in 6-8 batches at 1/2 the total sweetener each).
VonMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:03 AM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockville, VA
Posts: 3,061
Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
I mostly use the recipe posted in this thread but I will vary the sweeteners and flavors. I pretty much use 8 tbsp powdered E, some white stevia extract and maybe some drops of liquid splenda. This ice cream tastes great but it will still get hard after about 48 hours in the freezer but I just set it out on the counter for a few minutes before serving.

I've also tried using glucomannan instead of the xanthum but this is one recipe where I prefer the xanthum.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...scoopable.html
PaminKY, do you happen to know what # your post is on this thread? I see it is 4 pages long. Thank you.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 62
Gallery: VonMagnum
I see I'm a little slow on the uptake. I've been assuming relative accuracy with labels and apparently they can't be trusted (i.e. heavy cream actually having like 9g of carbs per cup when I'm thinking it's almost pure fat and thus the zero on the carton). That actually adds a significant amount of carbs (as in 9g extra per pint) to the 'good ice cream' (as opposed to icy gelato/ice milk) recipes, although from what I've been reading, I'm not certain the glycerin carbs should count or count fully (Atkins doesn't count them from what I read, for example which puts them in the net carb category) which might even it out a bit, but then most of the Atkins brand products stall me big time (sorry, but a 3g net carb candy bar has over 24g of carbs in it and when I stop losing weight all the sudden (not to mention the horrible gas issues), I think I can safely attribute it to that junk. It may be reduced, though. If I eat just one low carb bar per day, it usually doesn't stall, but 2+ definitely stalls (weight doesn't go up, just doesn't go down).

Unfortunately, because I haven't been watching my actual weight, I don't know the exact effects of any of these ice cream experiements. It's more dangerous for my diet to see no results (as in I've quit before when I plateau'd for over a month straight as it drives me nuts to keep doing a diet I'm slowly getting sick of and not see ANY results. I could just eat LESS pizza and burgers and maintain weight. Who wants to give up their favorite foods and NOT lose weight? I'd be better off on Jenny Craig or similar). The only thing that gives me faith in low carbs is that I lost 45 pounds in 2.5 months the first time I did the diet and over 20 pounds each time in 1-2 months. I didn't realize until recently it was the EAS/Atkins 'candy/protein' bars that were 'probably' responsible for the stall, though so this time I cut them out completely, but the ice cream COULD be having a similar effect. It may be too soon to tell without a scale, though, but I figure I'm less likely to quit because of annoying plateaus by simply not looking and staying on the diet, but of course if I stop losing belt notches over long periods of time, it's eventually the same conclusion (i.e. maintaining, but not losing). I've been teetering between the next belt notch back and forth, so it's hard to tell bloat from actual stalling and/or yo-yo'ing.

Last edited by VonMagnum; 05-14-2012 at 03:32 PM..
VonMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 62
Gallery: VonMagnum
Well, I hope I didn't burn my motor out in the ice cream machine. I got distracted and I came back into the room with 2 minutes left on the 50 minute timer and the machine had already stopped and to my shock, the motor was HOT (I had run it 8 minutes past stopping before and it wasn't even hardly warm) and the ice cream was HARD PACK frozen 1.5 inches into the bowl (and pretty firm "soft serve" throughout). I had a heck of a time getting the paddle out since it was frozen.

The difference in recipe? I realized I hadn't tried egg yolks as an emulsifier since I got the gums in and so I thought I'd ditch the glycerin for egg yolks to compare the results (i.e. NO glycerin in this batch at all). I purposely used less cream to see how the results would be affected. I used almost a 1:1 ratio of almond milk and cream (slightly less cream since the pin container didn't quite have a cup in it left) and kept my other ingredients the same (although I'm out of erythritol so I used mostly Splenda with the last few packets of Stevia) and 1 teaspoon of guar gum. Not only did it freeze fast (but not 'hard' so far), but it was BUTTER SMOOTH. It seemed to pick up more air than usual and felt lighter/fluffier rather than the dense premium (well it had less cream so that could account for that really I suppose). But I never got such smooth results with that much almond milk.

So the next step would be to try gelato again using eggs and guar gum and see how smooth it comes out. Maybe tomorrow.
VonMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 62
Gallery: VonMagnum
Well, the worst did happen. The machine is TOAST. I set up my batch with glycerin, egg yolks and guar gum and turned it on, set the timer and pressed start. The machine shut back off again and now won't power up at all. It must have drawn too much current (short in mixer motor) and blew the internal fuse. I know you're supposed to shut off that mixer motor when it stops turning to ensure long motor life, but I didn't think you could burn it up after ONE time like that, especially when it was only running 48 minutes and its own default cycle is 60. That's what the timer is for, after all. They clearly need a protection circuit with something like a tachometer (that senses when it stops turning) or a thermal breaker on the motor and then you'd NEVER have to worry about it. I don't know why so many of these machines have such bad designs like that. My degree is in electronics and I'd never put out something without a feature like when it's so obviously an issue. I think the Whynter brand has such a feature, but it may be the only one. Sadly, the reviews for it had some other issues that made this one sound better.

On the plus side, Air&Water was good about a return. They're sending a new machine out today and e-mailed me a FedEx return label so all I have to do is put the old machine in the new box and drop it off at the FedEx store. I'll probably get the new machine in a week or so. In the mean time, I guess I'm drinking pseudo-egg nog since I don't want that batter to sit that long. I might let it soft freeze and then run it through the Vita-Mixer or something. I'm going to have to watch the new machine like a HAWK, I guess.
VonMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
drjlocarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,308
Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
OH NO!!!!
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,516
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I'm so sorry it broke. I did that once to my Vitamix, but afer I let it rest an hour, it fixed itself. It shuts off to protect itself.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 62
Gallery: VonMagnum
Yeah, this is definitely not a self-protection circuit. It's just dead. I'm guessing the motor somehow drew too much power (shorted/melted/something/whatever) and it blew the internal fuse which is not user accessible. I would have no issue with opening it and replacing the fuse, but I'd probably still need a new mixer motor. It's easier for them to just send me a whole new unit.

I put the mix in the freezer and pulled it out every 30-40 minutes to stir it for 2 hours. It's still coming out a bit icy since it's sitting too long (water and cream start to separate even with a stabilized emulsion, it seems. Maybe it's not stabilized enough for so much almond milk (flavor is great, though). It's why it's so hard to get these low carb recipes right. I'm sure the commercial companies make a hundred batches or more at a time when they're experimenting with new flavors or other offerings, etc. until they get it perfect (well, judging by how awful/uncreamy most Breyers flavors are, maybe not.... )

On the plus side, I guess a week or so without ice cream will show me whether ice cream was stalling the weight loss or not.
VonMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 163
Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2011
Sorry about your machine!! I don't even know you but somehow I think a week without the ice cream machine might be a rough one.

Just catching up on your posts in this thread. Sadly, there are carbs in a lot of products that I thought were carb free because they listed "no carbs" on the nutrition label. And I believe there are small amounts of carbs even in any of the sugar substitutes, too.

There's a really great thread on this board about that, and I searched and can't find it at the moment. Hoping someone else can chip in with that link because I think you'll find it helpful.

In your free (non ice cream making time), check out "Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home." I got it as a gift but I think it's on amazon. She has an interesting technique using a cream cheese dairy base that I believe could be easily translated into a low carb ice cream. Haven't tried it yet.
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 62
Gallery: VonMagnum
I just took a day off my diet since I was at my mother's house and she doesn't have low-carb supplies and I had to get some work done around her house which took half the day and so I ended up breaking it. So meanwhile tonight, I'm milking it to the full with pizza and beer before I 'reset' tomorrow.

I didn't realize how much I missed good quality beer. This diet is rough in some respects...but low calorie is rougher yet.
VonMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockville, VA
Posts: 3,061
Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonMagnum View Post
Well, the worst did happen. The machine is TOAST. I set up my batch with glycerin, egg yolks and guar gum and turned it on, set the timer and pressed start. The machine shut back off again and now won't power up at all. It must have drawn too much current (short in mixer motor) and blew the internal fuse. I know you're supposed to shut off that mixer motor when it stops turning to ensure long motor life, but I didn't think you could burn it up after ONE time like that, especially when it was only running 48 minutes and its own default cycle is 60. That's what the timer is for, after all. They clearly need a protection circuit with something like a tachometer (that senses when it stops turning) or a thermal breaker on the motor and then you'd NEVER have to worry about it. I don't know why so many of these machines have such bad designs like that. My degree is in electronics and I'd never put out something without a feature like when it's so obviously an issue. I think the Whynter brand has such a feature, but it may be the only one. Sadly, the reviews for it had some other issues that made this one sound better.

On the plus side, Air&Water was good about a return. They're sending a new machine out today and e-mailed me a FedEx return label so all I have to do is put the old machine in the new box and drop it off at the FedEx store. I'll probably get the new machine in a week or so. In the mean time, I guess I'm drinking pseudo-egg nog since I don't want that batter to sit that long. I might let it soft freeze and then run it through the Vita-Mixer or something. I'm going to have to watch the new machine like a HAWK, I guess.
Glad you are able to get a replacement and not much of a hassle in the exchange.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 709
Gallery: sherrymyra
Thank goodness you can get it replaced.

Boy you must be about sick of ice cream.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 62
Gallery: VonMagnum
Nah, anything is better than nothing when it comes to desserts on a low carb diet (although Sugar Free Jello doesn't quite do it for me). It's hard to get sick of ice cream in any case, especially soft serve vanilla, IMO.
VonMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
shirlc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,153
Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/134/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonMagnum View Post
Nah, anything is better than nothing when it comes to desserts on a low carb diet (although Sugar Free Jello doesn't quite do it for me). It's hard to get sick of ice cream in any case, especially soft serve vanilla, IMO.
ITA! I think I'd have gained about 50 lbs. with your expirments, though!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member
 
TBipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 557
Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonMagnum View Post
I just took a day off my diet since I was at my mother's house and she doesn't have low-carb supplies and I had to get some work done around her house which took half the day and so I ended up breaking it. So meanwhile tonight, I'm milking it to the full with pizza and beer before I 'reset' tomorrow.

I didn't realize how much I missed good quality beer. This diet is rough in some respects...but low calorie is rougher yet.
I agree that low calorie is rougher! Thank you for all your experimenting. We are so lucky to have you do this and be so diligent on posting results. It's a shame your ice cream maker had to be sacrificed though for the cause! Well, sacrificed temporarily.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 62
Gallery: VonMagnum
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
ITA! I think I'd have gained about 50 lbs. with your expirments, though!
Nah, I think I lost weight overall. It may have stalled things a bit since I overdid a few of the days. But I usually only have around 600 calories by dinner time and 4g carbs, so that leaves me a lot of room to play with.

In any case, I just got the new machine in today (pretty fast this time considering it came from over 3000 miles away). I'm probably not going to use it today, though. I've been getting shorted on sleep for some time and I don't even feel like unpacking it right now.
VonMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 62
Gallery: VonMagnum
I tried out the new machine for the first time today. It makes a slight noise while the paddle spins. I think it's slightly rubbing the side or something. It seemed to cause it to start to stall a bit sooner than the last machine would have due to the added resistance as it thickened, plus now being paranoid, I stopped it as it just started to struggle.

In any case, I tried making my new formulation for gelato as that was where I left off when the first machine broke. I altered it slightly to a traditional Italian ratio of 1:2 milk/cream. It came out as smooth as glass (first time ever for gelato for me).

Low Carb Vanilla Gelato

2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1 cup whipping cream
3 egg yolks
1 teaspoon guar gum
~1 teaspoon vanilla extract
~1 tablespoon glycerin
18 teaspoons Splenda (I think the sweetness is better using half Erythritol or Stevia, though, but I'm currently out of both of those)

I mixed everything in the Vita-Mix blender on medium except the cream and guar gum for 15-20 seconds and then added the guar gum and let it mix another 10 seconds or so and then poured in the cream and whipped on high for 15 more seconds or so. Resultant batter was similar to soft-serve mix I've seen (i.e. not too thick, not too thin). The batter tasted good on a spoon. I poured the mixture into the machine and started it. It took about 44 minutes in the NewAir machine. I put half in the freezer and ate the rest. It was exactly soft-serve consistency.

Other than that sensation of not being just quite sweet enough (this is where sugar alcohol or stevia help as a half and half mixture), it was utterly smooth as could be and delicious. So far with a 45 minute soft-freeze, it's still utterly smooth slightly harder soft-serve. I have good expectations it will freeze at least reasonably smooth, although since I haven't had any ice cream in over a week, I'm tempted to just go eat it right now.

The next step would be to see how well it fares with 1/2 cup cream and finally no cream with eggs and glycerin both (which seems to be the key to getting smooth gelato where it was icy with either one alone; clearly it needs a lot of emulsifier to keep the water from separating when you use more water in the form of almond milk and less cream).

I'll consider this one a success, though. Not quite as 'creamy/fatty' as the last 1:1 in-between 'custard' batch I made before the previous machine broke (that one froze very well, though), but still very VERY smooth (NO ice crystals in the soft-serve what-so-ever).

I'm thinking of putting a list of the 'good' outcome recipes in a recipe thread when this is done since I cannot seem to edit my first post at the top of the thread and it would be nice to have all the good outcomes in one place/list instead of stretched across 3-4 pages.
VonMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
shirlc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,153
Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/134/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonMagnum View Post

I'm thinking of putting a list of the 'good' outcome recipes in a recipe thread when this is done since I cannot seem to edit my first post at the top of the thread and it would be nice to have all the good outcomes in one place/list instead of stretched across 3-4 pages.
Great idea...I was hoping you'd do this!!!

I really appreciate all your effort!!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 62
Gallery: VonMagnum
Mid-freeze results are good. Lacks the super-creamy fat texture of the Haggen Dazs style 2.5:0.75, but ice crystals are minimal and very small, but seems slightly 'dry' to the tongue at first until it starts to melt. I'm guessing that reducing cream further will make it 'drier' yet tasting For whatever reason, this batch tastes better semi-frozen than as soft-serve (oddity that Splenda is, it seems). Either that or my dinner after-taste was affecting my taste buds (bacon, sausage and eggs).

That reminds me, I need to try a chocolate bacon ice cream at some point. Maybe Chocolate-Coffee-Bacon? That sounds like a good breakfast ice cream.
VonMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:55 AM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,516
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Breakfast ice cream is a concept I haven't contemplated before, but I must say, it sounds genius to me.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:22 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 62
Gallery: VonMagnum
Well, it did freeze a bit hard and I'm not sure why. It seems like the egg yolks raised the freezing temperature a bit (not sure what else is different that it would freeze harder than a recipe without the yolks), but still tastes good with very tiny ice crystals (i.e. decent texture).
VonMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockville, VA
Posts: 3,061
Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonMagnum View Post
I tried out the new machine for the first time today. It makes a slight noise while the paddle spins. I think it's slightly rubbing the side or something. It seemed to cause it to start to stall a bit sooner than the last machine would have due to the added resistance as it thickened, plus now being paranoid, I stopped it as it just started to struggle.

In any case, I tried making my new formulation for gelato as that was where I left off when the first machine broke. I altered it slightly to a traditional Italian ratio of 1:2 milk/cream. It came out as smooth as glass (first time ever for gelato for me).

Low Carb Vanilla Gelato

2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1 cup whipping cream
3 egg yolks
1 teaspoon guar gum
~1 teaspoon vanilla extract
~1 tablespoon glycerin
18 teaspoons Splenda (I think the sweetness is better using half Erythritol or Stevia, though, but I'm currently out of both of those)

I mixed everything in the Vita-Mix blender on medium except the cream and guar gum for 15-20 seconds and then added the guar gum and let it mix another 10 seconds or so and then poured in the cream and whipped on high for 15 more seconds or so. Resultant batter was similar to soft-serve mix I've seen (i.e. not too thick, not too thin). The batter tasted good on a spoon. I poured the mixture into the machine and started it. It took about 44 minutes in the NewAir machine. I put half in the freezer and ate the rest. It was exactly soft-serve consistency.

Other than that sensation of not being just quite sweet enough (this is where sugar alcohol or stevia help as a half and half mixture), it was utterly smooth as could be and delicious. So far with a 45 minute soft-freeze, it's still utterly smooth slightly harder soft-serve. I have good expectations it will freeze at least reasonably smooth, although since I haven't had any ice cream in over a week, I'm tempted to just go eat it right now.

The next step would be to see how well it fares with 1/2 cup cream and finally no cream with eggs and glycerin both (which seems to be the key to getting smooth gelato where it was icy with either one alone; clearly it needs a lot of emulsifier to keep the water from separating when you use more water in the form of almond milk and less cream).

I'll consider this one a success, though. Not quite as 'creamy/fatty' as the last 1:1 in-between 'custard' batch I made before the previous machine broke (that one froze very well, though), but still very VERY smooth (NO ice crystals in the soft-serve what-so-ever).

I'm thinking of putting a list of the 'good' outcome recipes in a recipe thread when this is done since I cannot seem to edit my first post at the top of the thread and it would be nice to have all the good outcomes in one place/list instead of stretched across 3-4 pages.
Yes, thank you for not only all the experimenting, but extensive postings on your results. Neat that you can use almond milk to make the ice cream.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 62
Gallery: VonMagnum
I've got 3 pounds of Erythritol, a 2 oz bottle of liquid sucralose and a 2oz bottle of liquid Stevia on order.... That should solve my sweetness issues along with lowering effective carbs to almost nothing.

Meanwhile, today I tried a variation on the last recipe, except that I used NO cream. I added 1 extra egg yolk and tried artificial vanilla for the first time (pure extract is getting expensive at the rate I'm using it). I don't know if it was the artificial vanilla, but I couldn't taste it as well (I haven't used any in literally decades, but I don't remember it being 'that' far off) and it's especially weird since I used twice as much as normal (I added more when the batter didn't taste right). I think I used vanilla flavored Almond Silk as well by mistake (local store ran out of original so I had to buy 2 of the 4 as vanilla flavored and that particular store doesn't carry Almond Breeze; I'm not sure if that could affect the results any; I believe I used the same thing in the previous batch and it tasted normal, although I did use real vanilla extract there).

In any case, it came out pretty smooth for no cream, although not perfect. It actually had the best texture after a 40 minute soft-freeze (I could tell it was going to get hard with tiny ice crystals like the last batch and I was hungry and it was almost no calories so I ate it all.... Oops. )

It may not be the best result or the best tasting result, but with liquid Splenda/Stevia, it would be almost zero carbs and all of about 150 calories a QUART, so all things considered, I think I can deal with the shortcomings as I could have this 5 days a week and the 'good stuff' on my days off work. I'm sure the vanilla flavor thing can be readily solved. I made a batch before without cream that tasted right. I think it's a combination of the "only" Splenda and artificial vanilla. I'll try again when I get the other sweeteners. Another egg yolk might help as well given the high water content.
VonMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #88
Major LCF Poster!
 
dianafoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern US
Posts: 1,210
Gallery: dianafoot
Did you use the unsweetened vanilla flavored Silk? I notice that Almond Breeze does not carry an unsweetened vanilla flavor, at least not around here. I really love the unsweetened original Silk almond milk. (Can't figure out why any of it ever needs sugar.)

I am going to have to try your latest ice cream -- am watching calories as well as carbs. I thought I'd add a little coffee flavor to it -- my dd says to simmer ground coffee beans in with the milk for a few minutes, then strain to get the best coffee flavored ice cream. What do you think?
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 62
Gallery: VonMagnum
Yes, unsweetened vanilla Silk (didn't like it, BTW) and yes, Almond Breeze does make an unsweetened vanilla (all they had in stock at Giant Eagle today so I ended up buying Silk unsweetened original). I don't care for their vanilla flavorings. They don't taste right even when sweetened, IMO.
VonMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #90
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 62
Gallery: VonMagnum
I made two batches last night. I made a Raspberry gelato based on the vanilla one that worked so well (i.e. added raspberries to that recipe) and I made a vanilla premium ice cream with egg yolks added to see what effect it had on smoothness (i.e. the 2.5/0.75 ratio that worked with glycerine and guar gum but with 3 egg yolks added). I used half Splenda and half Stevia (still granulated forms as I'm waiting for the liquid ones and erythritol orders to arrive).

The raspberry was insanely delicious as in the best raspberry I've ever tasted (I used almost the entire half pint in a quart) and was pretty smooth as soft-serve and really fairly smooth as hard pack, but it did freeze a bit hard. 12-15 minutes time sitting out fixed that). The vanilla ice cream was super creamy and the flavor was great an this morning it was perfect consistency, but I went back to bed and a few hours later it did freeze a bit hard (not as hard as the gelato) and about 8-10 minutes and it was very scoopable again. I think the egg yolks raised the freezing temperature as it only took 35 minutes to finish whereas without them, I think it was more like 45 minutes. Erythritol raises it into the 50-65 minute range on most recipes on this machine.

If anything, though, the egg yolks combined with that much cream may have been just a bit too creamy (stuck to the top of my mouth a bit once fully frozen) and so I think more almond milk and/or less cream may be an improvement for mouth feel (1:1 ratio worked well for egg yolks + glycerine). The taste was lovely, though.
VonMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:46 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.