Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonMagnum View Post
The coffee custard came out fine except even with the most Splenda of any batch, it seems like it could stand to be sweeter. The passion fruit ice cream is just right and it uses less (and believe me, the passion fruit concentrate is not sweet at all), so I guess there's some interaction going on there or something. The consistency of the coffee one is similar to the passion fruit one but I was going to a bit creamier. I think by using espresso which is watery I should have used less milk and more cream to compensate despite already using more cream than the passion fruit one. Otherwise, other than the desire for more sweetness, it's pretty good. I assume it will freeze similar to the passion fruit one, which is already getting harder, but still manageable after 3 hours.

Your sweetening problems stem from the fact that Splenda and chocolate doesn't mix well, using some erythritol or stevia plus some Splenda in a recipe with chocolate will yeild much better results. Splenda alone in the fruit flavored recipes works fine.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: VonMagnum
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
Your sweetening problems stem from the fact that Splenda and chocolate doesn't mix well, using some erythritol or stevia plus some Splenda in a recipe with chocolate will yeild much better results. Splenda alone in the fruit flavored recipes works fine.
That's kind of weird. I wonder what it is about chocolate that it behaves that way. In any case, the glycerine got here today, but still no guar gum, erythritol or Whey Low yet. I bought more cream so I've got 4 pints on-hand plus over 2 gallons of almond and almond-coconut milk. I just need the rest of the ingredients.

Last edited by VonMagnum; 04-30-2012 at 01:19 PM..
VonMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It is kind of weird but it's true, the long-time low-cab cooks on here can attest to it. Splenda + chocolate = no good. I've had the best luck sweetening chocolate with erythritol and stevia.

Years ago I bought Whey Low but for some reason I threw it out, not sure why unless I found out that it is some form of fructose.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Ok, UPS just delivered my almond flour (time to enjoy pancakes again!) and my guar gum. That just leaves the erythritol and Whey Low.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SherBel
WOE: Atkins Induction-(esque)
Start Date: Feb 17, 2012
Good grief. I really wish that you were my next-door neighbor. I would assist in the taste testing!

Seriously awesome thread. Really.
SherBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Pam is correct. Splenda and chocolate do not play well together. I use 1/2 splenda and 1/2 erythritol.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

OK, I could not wait and had to play with these new ingredients...

I decided to put the new gum and glycerine to the test and make gelato, which thus far has come out grainy/icy every single time. I'm still waiting on the freezer tests, but the soft-serve was out of this universe SMOOTH!!! It was SO smooth, I'm planning on trying it again with NO cream the next time and see what happens (i.e. the Holy Grail of ice cream...an ice cream with almost no calories or carbs!!!)

I made Vanilla Butternut Gelato Style Custard:
2 cups almond-coconut milk (Almond Breeze unsweetened)
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 large eggs
20 teaspoons Splenda
~2 tablespoons Glycerine
~1 teaspoon Guar Gum
~1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
~1 teaspoon Imitation Vanilla Butternut Extract
~1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
~2 teaspoons Vodka (still trying to get the freezing temperature lower so it doesn't freeze so hard)
~1 teaspoon REAL SUGAR (OMG, I know! I figured 1 teaspoon wouldn't hurt too much and maybe it would help set it)

~ Ingredients are estimate pours

The only problem with this recipe is that I played with so many new variations, I can't isolate the variables as to what caused what, which means further experimentation will be needed and SOMEONE is going to have to eat all this ice cream! (looks around and sees no one) I guess it'll just have to be me!

Anyway, I put all the ingredients save the heavy cream and vodka into the Vitamixer and blended on high. I was very light on the gums at first and when I didn't see enough thickening, I added just a bit more of each (estimate total of 1 teaspoon each). It then got plenty thick...weird thick, like the mixer wanted to vomit it up (i.e. didn't just spin the blades but tossed it and made sick sounds like the motor wanted to be sick). I quickly added the 1/2 cup of cream to even it out. That got it a little more even, but it was still plenty thick. I think maybe I used too much gum, but I wanted it thick and smooth since there was going to be very little cream compared to the previous recipes that turned out well and all gelato style mixes came up icy before.

I put it in the machine and it glooped a bit like it was about to get chunky. I got the machine running and I didn't want it to struggle with any clumps so I added just a bit more almond milk and the little bit of vodka through the trap door (maybe 1/8 a cup) It seemed to turn OK so I let do its thing. 47 minutes later (new record for longest churn), the paddle stopped.

I pulled the blade out and it made a little sound that made me think it was icy, but I was WRONG. This was so smooth and light that it literally tasted like I was eating semi-frozen whipped cream! No weird texture other than smooth as SILK (It would have been ironic if I had used Pure Silk brand almond milk I suppose). I can't say that it was too sweet, but I wouldn't say it was bad either (maybe a tad sweeter would have been better, but it was pretty good just the same. The half I put in my bowl to eat on the spot didn't last 2 minutes. YUM!

Frankly, I'm having a hard time keeping myself from raiding the freezer right now and just gobbling down the other half! Got to control myself. Got to see freeze results....arrgh.

Really, other than trying to get a scoopable freeze at typical freezer temperatures (the simple solution would be for me to use my beer fridge's freezer I have downstairs and set it to a warmer temperature...say around 28 degrees and it would never freeze hard. If I can't find some combo that really works well, I may end up doing that. Frankly, now that I have found I can get SMOOOOOOOTH gelato (I want to see if I don't need the eggs now either), I'm not sure the Whey Low will be so important since it would definitely add some unwanted carbs/calories (that would partially cancel the reduced cream I was hoping to achieve with it).

The real question is what made the biggest difference here? Was it the Guar/Xantham gum (I hadn't tried either with a gelato style mix up until this point) or was it the glycerine or a bit of both? I can't imagine 1 teaspoon of sugar made THAT much difference. It surely wasn't the eggs or milk as they failed royally on previous attempts at gelato. I guess I have to experiment to find out....

BTW, glycerine by itself tastes BAD, IMO. Palm oil... yeah I think that's a good description alright. I felt like I was tasting tanning oil or something.

Edit: I just had a taste of ~1 hour soft-freeze. Just a hint of icy grain (still better than typical ice cream smoothness) that wasn't there at all in the soft-serve (must be the higher water content), but otherwise, it tastes like a DREAM. I really had to fight not to just eat the contents of the entire bowl!

Last edited by VonMagnum; 04-30-2012 at 05:59 PM..
Old 04-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

I just can't stop myself....

I decided I just HAD to see if I could make a smooth gelato custard with NO CREAM (I thought no eggs might be a bit too big of a step all at once so I'll see how this goes first). I needed a good flavor and so instead of Vodka I made...

Butterscotch Schnapps Gelato Custard!

2 cups Almond-Coconut milk (I'm now out of it and only have almond and pure coconut milk left)
1/2 cup Pure Silk Coconut Milk (3g of carbs here, but I didn't want all almond for this one)
3 Large Eggs
20 teaspoons Splenda
~2 tablespoons Glycerine
~1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
~1 teaspoon Guar Gum
~1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
~1 shot of Butterscotch Schnapps (yeah there's a few sugar carbs here, so don't eat it all at once! )

I whipped it all up at once in the blender and it thickened nice and smooth with the guar gum and xanthan gum combo. I put it in the machine and slowly it churns....

Awaiting the results. The batter tastes SO GOOD.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Well, the good news is that despite no cream and very little fat (just almond-coconut milk), there's virtually no ice crystals and it's very very smooth. The flavor is very good, although for some odd reason I almost feel like I'm eating banana-bread ice cream for reasons I can't quite put into words. The one down side is the texture is a little strange. There's this slight gelatinous quality to it I can't quite pin down, almost like a slightly sheened-oily cookie dough or something (I don't want to use the word 'slimy' but I can see how some might want to use that word for lack of a better term. It's like eating porridge. Yes, it's somewhat similar to oatmeal or cream of wheat, only cold and tastes like ice cream. I'm sure it's the gum effect on a mixture that has almost no fat. It kind of clumps around the spoon like oatmeal, yet it's not icy on the tongue or anything. Yeah, like if butterscotch almost-banana bread flavored cream of wheat were an ice cream flavor, this would be it.

I'm curious how it will freeze, but I kind of doubt this is the sort of thing most people would want to aim for (beats grainy/ice any day, IMO, though). On the other hand, with other sweeteners and a different flavor, it would be extremely low calorie and low-carb and yet smooth. Maybe a little less gum and it would be normal? OTOH, I suspect it's that gum that's keeping it from being icy, although I suppose it could be the glycerine. Maybe I'll try little or no gum next time to find out.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
Don't forget to add in the carbs in that pourable Splenda. The carb count on the bag is misleading. I can't remember exactly what it is, maybe someone here can tell us.
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

It seems to be 0.5 carbs per teaspoon due to the maltodextrin. That would be about 10 carbs from Splenda form most of the above (if you eat the entire ~quart in one sitting) plus any other sources (eggs are like 0.32 for medium, 0.38 for large) and Pure Silk coconut milk is 3g per half cup (it's not unsweetened and I can't find a coconut milk that is offhand at the grocery stores; Almond Breeze makes a combo Almond-Coconut that is, however).

My diet consists almost entirely of around 2 grams per day from eggs and 2g at breakfast from a combo EAS chocolate low carb shake + almond milk. Everything else I typically eat is meat or cheese. So eating half a recipe here isn't going to kill me at 12grams for the day (or around 20 today). I agree granular Splenda isn't the best idea here, but it's what I have on hand. Nearly everything else (save maybe Stevia) has to be mail-ordered and I'm still waiting on it. Trying to wait until the erythritol gets here is just too difficult.

But yeah, if you eat a lot of other carb sources during the day, following the exact recipes above might not be the best idea. Use liquid Splenda instead. Heck, you could add some real sugar in for the difference and probably get a better texture for the same amount of carbs as the maltodextrin (or better yet equivalent in Whey Low). The recipes I'm trying are just meant to be starting points. By all means try experimenting with them on your own if you have an ice cream maker. I'm just sharing my data as I go. It's a good reference point for me in the future if I need some data down the road.

I don't expect everyone to follow my meat, egg, cheese low carb diet. Personally, I prefer it since I don't like most vegetables and the ones I do like i pretty much can't have except a Caesar salad. I normally drink a low-carb protein shake mixed with almond milk for breakfast (and take vitamin and fiber supplements), eat 2 hard-boiled eggs and 2 pieces of string mozzarella cheese for lunch and usually have a ham/cheese omelet or sausage links and eggs or curried fish/shrimp for dinner or a big steak and Caesar salad for dinner. Low carb ice cream is just a good way to deal with dessert cravings (sugar free Jello gets old fast) as I figure I'll be on this diet for 6-8 months if I want to get all the weight off. I'm probably down 20-25 pounds already which leaves me 75-80 to go to reach my normal weight for my height/frame of 190-200 pounds. All I know is no conventional diet gets those kind of numbers and allows me to eat AND raises by good cholesterol just out of this side of the stratosphere (my good/bad cholesterol ratio was literally 2 points from being off the bottom of the risk chart and has stayed in that zone for half a decade since I first went on this diet (could be genetics there too, but no one else in my family has those numbers).
Old 05-01-2012, 04:48 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but mixing almond milk with the low-carb protein shake is genius! Wish I had thought of that.
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

I tested both batches this morning. They're semi-scoopable (i.e. not solid blocks; I can still spoon them up), but they're a bit icy with tiny ice crystals. Nothing horrible. The gummy batch is still a bit odd in texture (still reminds me of oatmeal). The vanilla butternut one is pretty good. I'm currently trying an experiment with just almond milk, splenda, fruit concentrate, glycerine and the two gums (i.e. no eggs and no cream).
Old 05-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybb1 View Post
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but mixing almond milk with the low-carb protein shake is genius! Wish I had thought of that.
Thanks. It just seemed like a natural conclusion when I decided to try almond milk since I was already just drinking an EAS low-carb chocolate shake for breakfast. This gives me two big glasses instead of one for the same 2 grams net carbs and only an extra 120 calories or so.

My experiment with just pure almond milk (no cream and no eggs) came out pretty well. It was smooth as could be, but the texture was slightly off once again, despite using half the amount of gum. I guess I got to figure that it's basically just blended almonds, water, glycerine and a couple of gums holding it together. I could try again without the gums and see how just glycerine does, but even so, it was a nice mango-passion fruit frozen dessert treat similar to a frozen dessert my mom made that was a huge hit at Christmas in the past. Considering it's only 120 calories or so total for 2+ cups and 8 carbs from the Splenda plus maybe another 6 from the fruit concentrate, it wasn't too shabby (it'd be very low carb with liquid Splenda or some other option and near zero with vanilla or something instead of fruit concentrate). I'm going biking today so I could probably use a few extra carbs. My normal daily carbs are so low, I go back to induction almost immediately even if I break ketosis for a day. You also can't build muscle very well without some carbs. Weight lifters go low-carb every other day instead and it works for them.

Anyway, considering how smooth it came out, I decided I have to try something else next. I'm attempting low-carb Sorbet using nothing but fruit concentrate (Mango-Passion Fruit again), Splenda, glycerine, water and guar + xanthan gum and very little at that. The mix came out like a yogurt and tastes good. It's in the machine now. I read sorbet is nearly impossible to come out smooth and not icy without sugar. I have the feeling I'm about to prove otherwise.

Hopefully, the erythritol and whey-low will get here today.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

I did it! They said I was mad, but I did it! (Ok, I just ripped off Sheldon Cooper from Big Bang Theory)

Anyway, the sorbet was MAGNIFICENT. It took only 30 minutes flat in this machine and was perfectly set and SMOOOOOTH.

Mango-Passion Fruit Low Carb Sorbet
2 Cups water
16 teaspoons Splenda (I'm sure liquid Splenda would be better to remove 8g carbs, although I don't know if the texture would be affected)
~1 oz DaFruta Mango Concentrate
~1 oz DaFruta Passion Fruit Concentrate
~2 tablespoons glycerine
~0.75 teaspoon of Xanthan Gum
~0.75 teaspoon of Guar Gum

Mix on HIGH in blender. Pour into NewAir or similar ice cream machine. 30 minutes later, PERFECT Sorbet. No icy texture at all. Fantastic!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That weird mouthfeel you're describing is from the gums not the glycerine. I have found that mixing them intensifies this effect and I find it unpleasant myself and it also intensifies the thickening power. I've also tried mixing xanthum with glucomannan and I don't like that at all.

I like using only xanthum and glycerine in ice cream. I've tried glucomannan and guar but I prefer the xanthum ice cream.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, it seems a little gum goes a long way, particularly if you mix them. I think it did come in very handy with the sorbet, though in giving it a nice smooth texture that holds together well. I didn't find the texture objectionable at all there. I'll have to try it without gum or very little to compare, to be sure, though.

Glycerine does seem to make a huge difference in getting smooth results with few ice crystals regardless of gums. I tried a batch of just vanilla and almond milk (no eggs, no cream) with just a hint (half teaspoon) of Xanthan gum and glycerine and splenda and I have to say it TASTED the most like normal old fashioned ice cream made in one of those salt/ice crank machines. It wasn't ultra smooth, but the flavor was spot-on and it wasn't objectionably icy. It did cool in the mouth more like ice milk, though (i.e. almost no fat = colder).

Thus, I just finished a batch with 2 cups almond milk, 1/2 cup heavy cream with glycerine, Splenda, vanilla and a half teaspoon of Xanthan gum to see if the extra fat would make it less cold and creamier in the mouth. It's basically vanilla gelato by ratios. Whereas before when I tried it with eggs and no glycerine and again with and without gums, it was just too icy either way. THIS time, it came out PERFECT. The only thing that could be better is more creaminess for perfectly smooth Dairy Queen style fat on the tongue and I'm sure going with a reverse ratio cream to almond milk would accomplish that. But it was definitely smoother and creamier than with no cream, about the same as a typical commercial grade soft-serve machine (i.e. I'm saying Dairy Queen's ice cream is extra creamy/fatty tasting). I could not tell it didn't have sugar in it at all. It tasted like I went to the local tasty whip and got a soft-serve cone.

Now I don't know how well either of those are going to freeze, yet (some batches that were ultra-creamy as soft-serve weren't quite so creamy after freezing), but I'm happy with the vanilla soft-serve flavor finally and it has no eggs and very little cream. Substitute out the granular Splenda and it would be low-carb and low-calorie. All I can say is glycerine all the way (I do think some tiny amount of Xanthan gum is needed as a stabilizer, though since there's no eggs; 1/2 - 1 teaspoon seems to be enough).

Almost Perfect Soft-Serve Vanilla (Gelato; reverse cream/milk for ice cream)
2 Cups Almond milk (unsweetened)
1/2 cup heavy cream
12-18 teaspoons Splenda (or equivalent alternate or liquid version)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2-1 teaspoon of Xanthan gum
2 tablespoons glycerine

Mix in blender on high and pour in machine. It's very straight forward.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Ok, I tried the reverse of the above recipe (i.e. 2 cups cream and 1/2 cup milk) and not only did it come out smooth as could be and taste good (maybe too creamy; I might back off slightly on the cream towards milk next time), BUT it froze PERFECTLY. I just scooped vanilla ice cream that has been sitting for 15+ hours in the freezer and it scooped just as easily as any store-bought ice cream that has sugar in it! And it tastes absolutely ice-free (i.e. still smooth). In short, it's low-carb ice cream that tastes as good as Haagen Daaz, IMO. I'd never guess it didn't have real sugar in it. It blows the doors off Bryers awful low-carb stuff.

My erythritol just came in today (something's holding up the Whey-Low; it hasn't even shipped yet), so the only adjustments left are to get rid of much or all of the granular Splenda for Erythritol and/or liquid Splenda or whatever. That would then make it really low-carb with the option of more calories for high-end silky smooth premium ice cream or low calories for a gelato but with a bit more grain.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:26 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Thank you so much for experimenting! I had talked myself out of an ice cream machine as I felt I could not afford the calories of all that HWC. If you are able to come up with some low carb and fairly low calorie ice cream, I may end up buying that ice cream maker!
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:31 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBipp View Post
Thank you so much for experimenting! I had talked myself out of an ice cream machine as I felt I could not afford the calories of all that HWC. If you are able to come up with some low carb and fairly low calorie ice cream, I may end up buying that ice cream maker!
This is me also! I am so interested in seeing the lowest carb and lowest calorie ice cream, gelato, or frozen yogurt possible! I bought an ice cream maker and loved it when I used it, but just didn't have any portion control with it! And a big part of that was that I knew the ice cream wouldn't taste as good after it had been frozen for a while.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

I need to prefix the following comments since I just looked up some data on vegetable glycerine and it turns out it's a lot higher in calories/carbs than I ever imagined (like 5g per teaspoon, it seems, although there's some arguments out there how much those 'count' in terms of a low-carb diet (conflicting data). So keep that in mind, given I'm using 1-2 tablespoons in recent recipes (i.e. add that one below if you think it counts plus about 50 calories per pint).

Well, that latest recipe for ice cream (the reverse of the posted one using 2 cups cream and 1/2 cup almond milk) is about 800 calories a pint (around 400 less than Haggen Daz with sugar) and 8 grams of carbs per pint using granular Splenda. So, a half-pint is only 4g carbs and 400 calories (works for me if I can control myself to eat a pint or less per day). By the way, it is still utterly PERFECT still 24 hours later and as smooth as can be and not hard frozen AT ALL; it's identical to regular premium ice cream, maybe even softer than some brands and tastes utterly delicious IMO. In fact, I think that recipe is better as hard pack than as soft-serve, where it was almost too smooth/whipped topping-like. I think I preferred the gelato version for soft-serve, maybe just a bit more cream, but it was pretty darn nice, just the same and that one is only around 250 calories a pint or 125 a half-pint if I'm doing my math correctly (seeing as unsweetened almond milk is generally 35-45 calories per cup).

Assuming liquid Splenda doesn't alter the texture any, that could remove pretty much ALL the effective carbs (calories are from fat, though so they're still there, but calories don't seem to be as damaging on low-carb as regular diets so I worry less until the numbers start going through the stratosphere like eating 1.5 quarts the other day in testing...man that was rough on me... ). And the gelato version would then be 125 calories and almost no carbs per half pint or 250 and no carbs per pint.

I don't know for certain yet that the lack of maltodextrin (using liquid Splenda) wouldn't screw up the texture. It may need some adjustment to Xanthan and/or glycerine (that might have been as much as 3 tablespoons; I really should measure it rather than a timed drip, but it's so messy to clean off the silverware and get it all into the pot; I don't know the exact amount is critical anyway; 2-3 is about right here).

I think the sorbet was about 3g carbs for the fruit concentrate per pint (6 grams per 2.5 oz in fructose and I used about 2-2.5 ounces total for a quart) plus any granular Splenda, so maybe 10-11 grams per pint total (easily reduced to 3g total if you use liquid Splenda instead (maybe 8g with glycerine counting) which I doubt would hurt that one at all) and it was (get this), a whopping 25 calories (more like 80 with glycerine added) per pint! It is basically just low calorie fruit concentrate plus water, splenda, xanthan/guar gums and some glycerine.

The next step will be to see how erythritol interacts with the same two basic recipes (and sorbet for that matter). If it doesn't change flavor/texture much, it'll basically just reduce the carbs; the same would got for liquid Splenda over granular.

But it seems glycerine + xanthan gum (and ironically no eggs works better than with eggs for low-carb texture) makes the biggest difference in getting it to behave like regular ice cream. Almond milk works exceedingly well (beyond my expectations).

At least for me, I'm figuring 30-35g in carbs per day and other than 0.3 per egg for about 7-8 per day (2.5g maybe), I have no carbs on a typical day so ice cream works well on paper. Now whether any of those ingredients might 'stall' the diet anyway, I can't say for sure this early and it doesn't help that I'm refusing to look at a scale at this stage, but I need to do that to avoid getting irked at plateaus and the like.

All I know is this ice cream beats the pants off Breyer's low carb stuff (much more like eating Haggen Daz regular in my opinion) and so I'm finally a happy camper with the results I'm getting.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Interesting note about the eggs. The recipe I usually use calls for eggs. I'm going out of town this weekend but hopefuly I'll be back early enough Saturday to give your recipe a try.

I also have been using Calorie Countdown milk, I've never tried using almond milk.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

OK, I just made a batch with 1/2 erythritol and 1/2 Splenda and it came out lovely, at least as soft-serve. I'm freezing half now. I've got a second batch in that's the same except that I'm using only 1/2 cup cream instead of 1 cup and increasing the almond by 1/2 cup. My only reservations about erythritol is that it's expensive (this 1lb bag is pretty small and goes fast at 8 teaspoons a mix and despite Splenda only being 11oz for $6 (generic) here, it's puffed up so much with maltodextrin that the same teaspoons are much less actual weight/volume. I'm thinking I'm going to have to order liquid Splenda instead as it would be a better value. Erythritol is also very hard to mix with liquids using just a spoon (I tried mixing some in with some unsweetened almond milk and it just didn't want to dissolve at all).

The recipe I just made was as follows:

Vanilla Ice Cream using 1/2 Erythritol and 1/2 Splenda:
1.5 cups Heavy Cream
1.5 cups Almond Milk
8 teaspoons Splenda (4g carbs)
8 teaspoons Erythritol
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Xanthan gum
1 tablespoon glycerin (5g carbs)

I mixed everything but the cream in the blender on high and then added the cream on low. I originally used 1 cup of almond milk, but it got too thick too fast so I ended up adding another half cup to get it to finish mixing. The results were perfectly smooth excellent tasting soft-serve ice cream. I'm freezing half to see if it freezes as well as the last Splenda only batch that used 2 cups cream to 1/2 cup milk. That should be about 4g of carbs per PINT (including the glycerin) and perhaps 700 calories +/-50? (i.e. I didn't measure the total output volume which fluffs up).

The next batch (in the machine now) reduces cream to 1/2 cup and increases almond milk to 2 cups (i.e. gelato). I think the erythritol helped with creaminess/volume so I think I can get by with less cream and still get smoother results than before. It's crystallized so it may behave more like real sugar. This should reduce calories to around 300-350 per pint with the same 4g carbs.

Last edited by VonMagnum; 05-04-2012 at 12:19 PM..
Old 05-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

The 2nd batch with 1/2 cup cream came out a bit icier, but wasn't terrible as soft-serve. It also took just over an hour to freeze in the machine so clearly the erythritol has an effect on the freeze temperature (we'll see how that affects scoopability).
Old 05-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

I decided to revisit the Wendy's Frosty style Chocolate-Vanilla ice cream using Erythritol to see if I could get a sweeter result. Success.

Low Carb Chocolate-Vanilla Ice Cream
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup almond milk
10 teaspoons Erythritol
8 teaspoons Splenda
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 heaping teaspoons unsweetened cocoa
1 tablespoon glycerin
1 teaspoon Xanthan gum

Mix everything but cream and Xanthan gum in blender. After blending for 10-12 seconds, add Xanthan gum and cream and continue to blend until thick. Put in machine. 50 minutes later in my NewAir and I had perfectly smooth, delicious chocolate-vanilla ice cream that tastes like a Wendy's Frosty. I set half aside to freeze and made short work of the rest. It's Mmmm.mmm.mmm.mmm...delicious.

Approximately 9g carbs for the entire batch (~1 quart or so) and maybe 1700 calories or thereabouts (or 4.5g carbs and 850 calories per pint, which is a Ben&Jerry's size container). Based on prior recipes, it should freeze extremely well (i.e. scoopable at 0 degrees Fahrenheit, which is the temperature of my freezer).
Old 05-06-2012, 02:51 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

The Chocolate-Vanilla eventually froze somewhat hard. I can only assume the Erythritol negatively impacted the freezing temperature (just the opposite of what I wanted). I put a temperature probe into the freezer and opening/closing the freezer, it was around 0 degrees, but letting it sit 16 hours, it actually got down to -5F, which is pretty cold. I ended up turning the freezer thermostat up a notch. It's now at +5F degrees, which hopefully will help keep these a bit softer. I'm thinking Erythritol isn't all it's cracked up to be (hard to dissolve in cold liquids and EXPENSIVE).

I never did get my Whey Low and it hasn't shipped, which is ridiculous, IMO. I'd like this stuff some time THIS YEAR. I sent Barry Farms (Amazon distributor of Whey Low) a cancellation request. If they can't send out a simple bag of sugar out within 2 weeks, they should go out of business, IMO. The local supermarkets are restocked weekly like clockwork. Amazon was showing a shipping date estimate of the end of May, which is unacceptably slow. I'm not sure I even want it at this point even from Whey Low's own site. I've gotten the texture to come out lovely without it and it's extra carbs (the glycerin is bad enough). I'm thinking liquid Splenda/sucralose would be a better choice at this point. Whey Low is ridiculously expensive anyway as is Erythritol (which didn't help freezing). I am concerned that liquid sucralose may affect the texture as well since it has not maltodextrin in it. I guess there's only one way to find out. I could try liquid Stevia as well, I suppose.

Last edited by VonMagnum; 05-06-2012 at 02:56 AM..
Old 05-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

I did a little ingredient reading at the supermarket and found that guar gum is the most common gum (even more than locust bean gum) in the ice creams I looked at. In fact, I think every ice cream I looked at had it except Haggen Dazs, which was pure cream, skim milk, sugar, egg yolks, ground vanilla bean and vanilla extract and NOTHING else. Even Ben & Jerry's Vanilla uses guar gum. NONE used Xanthan gum so now I'm wondering if I should experiment more with guar. I also noticed the gelato for sale had vegetable oil as one of ingredients along with guar (i.e. I'm trying to see if I can make a smoother less icy gelato without using sugar). So I bought a bottle of pure vegetable oil to play with (zero carbs so I figured why not).

In any case, the largest local supermarket around does not carry liquid anything (save Agave) in terms of sweeteners. I bought a box of 50 packets of Stevia to try. I'll have to order liquid sucralose and what not.

Today, I tried making raspberry gelato and ice cream. To be succinct, both were incredibly delicious flavor-wise, but the gelato was a bit icy (2.5 cups almond milk, 1/2 cup cream) whereas the ice cream (2.5 cups cream, 2/3 cup almond milk) was utterly perfect tasting.

The recipe I used was (make the above substitution to try the icier but still edible gelato):

Low Carb Raspberry Ice Cream
2.5 cups light whipping cream
2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tablespoon glycerine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
9 packets of Stevia sweetener
4 teaspoons Splenda
8 teaspoons Erythritol
1 heaping teaspoon guar gum
1/4 pint raspberries
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (not sure if this helped or not; the gelato does seem a bit less icy than previous batches at this milk/cream combo so maybe)

I mixed the milk, sweeteners, vanilla, glycerine in the blender for around 10 seconds and then added the guar gum and most of the raspberries (I saved around a half dozen to add into the machine in the last 10 minutes through the little removable door to get larger chunks in it). While still mixing, I then added the cream and let it mix for another 12 seconds or so (it was about to stop as it whipped up anyway). I poured this mixture into the ice cream machine (well 'scooped' would be more accurate as it was quite thick; the gelato was not by comparison). About 10 minutes or so before it was done (estimate as I'm never certain when it will finish), I added the raspberries through the little door which got turned around and left nice little raspberry chunks here and there.

The ice cream was perfectly smooth and tasted terrific. Based on past recipes, it should freeze well. The gelato, not as well.

Last edited by VonMagnum; 05-08-2012 at 12:58 PM..
Old 05-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
This sounds so good!
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Several hours later, it's as I expected. The 'gelato' is a bit icy and the ice cream version is almost perfect.

I've been reading about normal ice cream getting icy and it seems there's some enzyme action in milk that improves when it's heated (less sure about eggs; most seem to be grossed out by raw eggs so I assume that's why they want them heated). But I'm not using real milk (and stopped using eggs as they didn't seem to really improve things once I switched to glycerin and gums), so I don't know that any of that applies here. I could try heating an almond milk based custard and see what happens for the heck of it, though.

Most of the other problems people mentioned seemed to have more to do with those gel-freezer bowl models not freezing fully, etc. That's not an issue here with a -30F compressor. I'd just REALLY like to get a smooth gelato since it's less calories. But this icy stuff once frozen is not to my liking and not as good as the ice cream even as soft-serve (but edible).

I REALLY need to get some liquid Splenda. Erythritol is just too expensive (and I can't get it locally) and I can't get large bags of Stevia locally either (it doesn't quite taste like sugar to my taste buds anyway so it needs mixed with something else). I can't tell Splenda from sugar in most things, but the maltodextrin is unwanted carbs.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I buy my liquid splenda from that big auction website.

I'm watching this thread very closely because I love making homemade low-carb ice cream.

Some things I've leaned in the process of low-carb cooking, (these are my opinions only):

Best white stevia extract is Kal (I also buy it from the auction place).

Best powdered erythritol is Sensato that I buy from Netrition.

Best erythritol/stevia blend is Steviva, also available from Netrition and actually at a better price than direct. There isn't a powdered version of it but I have powdered it in a coffee grinder. It's not as fine as the Sensato powdered but it still works well. Powdered E dissolves better than granular.

I always use white stevia extract in conjunction with E and also with the Steviva, usually about 1/8 tsp. I sometimes use some liquid splenda too but I like sweet stuff to be really sweet.

I tried using lecithin in one batch to try and reduce the iciness but it gave it a funny taste, probably used too much and I used the granules. I've since bought the liquid but haven't tried it again with it.

I've always used eggs, which naturally contain lecithin, but since you've had success without them I may leave them out in my next batch.

I used xanthum and glucomannan, never tried guar and have never bought any, I'm still using on the bag of xanthum I bought around the year 2000. I prefered the xanthum over the glucomannan. All the gums can have a sliminess effect but in my experience it is pronounced when you use glucomannan with a milk product. As mentioned before, mixing them can be really slimy too.

My maker is one of those gel-freezer bowl models but I really like it. It's a cheap Deni that I bought off the clearance rack but it works well. The finished product is soft-serve but I always put in a lock-n-lock container and put in the freezer to firm it up more. It will freeze hard after about 48 hours but it just takes a few minutes out on the container to make it soft enough to scoop, I had to do the same thing with the Breyers Carb Smart.

That's all I can think of for now, I'll probably think of something else later. I really appreciate your posting of your experiments, it helps a lot. I may dig out a low-carb ice cream cookbook that I bought years ago and start throwing out a flavor challege to you. One flavor I'm really wanting to try is strawberry cheesecake. I've printed out some high-carb recipes and I'm about ready to try it myself but I don't have a lot of free time in the evenings and I'm so disorganized it will probably take me a couple of days to find the recipes I've printed out, LOL.

Last edited by PaminKY; 05-09-2012 at 09:02 AM..