Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Chia? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/768662-chia.html)

SkeeterN 04-22-2012 05:49 AM

Chia?

I haven't ventured into trying mode yet. To me this looks really icky.

Convince me that this is worth it. I see some recipes the chia is added without turning to gel. Is it like little nuts?

The gel looks very weird with the little black chia's floating in it.

What does it taste like?

Soobee 04-22-2012 06:22 AM

Chia has no taste. It takes on the flavor of whatever dish it is in. I put the seeds in meatballs and meatloaves without making the gel. I throw tem in soups and stews as a thickener. I almost never make the gel.

SkeeterN 04-22-2012 06:25 AM

Do you use the white or the black. Seems like the white is more appetizing looking, um? I guess LOL

What I see looks so gross.

rosethorns 04-22-2012 06:54 AM

LOL Skeeter. There are a few things I haven't tried. I can only find the black but they are great for a lot of things. I use them in baking and I've just started.

I don't see how I could make pudding with this but you never know.

Mad4Chillas 04-22-2012 10:38 AM

I just ventured in to using Chia Seeds texture is a little weird but I enjoy them,

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...a-recipes.html
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...a-pudding.html

Soobee 04-22-2012 10:41 AM

I use the black ones, because thewy were cheaper. There's no nutritional difference between the 2 colors.

Nigel 04-22-2012 10:51 AM

I grind my chia up in the coffee grinder just to make it finer. It makes anything baked a lot moister and you don't taste the seeds at all. I don't use the gel....and the gel is hard to clean up if you spill any of it.

rosethorns 04-22-2012 11:58 AM

Wow ! This is helping me understand chia.Thanks you guys.

I read that long thread and I was more confused.

dianafoot 04-23-2012 06:00 AM

Last night I threw a cup of almond milk (Silk, original, unsweetened), a tablespoon of chia seeds, a tablespoon of Hershey's special dark cocoa, and one drop of Sweetzfree into the blender. Whirred on high for about a minute and poured into a tall, fancy glass. This was the most amazing thick rich chocolate drink I have ever had! Kind of like a super chocolate shake.

And this morning, I had more energy than I could believe, coincidence? I'll have to repeat that experiment! :jumpjoy: (BTW I was down another pound this morning.)

Ann Lytle 04-23-2012 06:02 AM

The first time I purchased the white, then found the black are less expensive and have gotten them since. I don't see any difference between the two and make the jell and have it in my fridge most of the time. Mostly I put it in smoothies or mixed with orange diet soda if I get hungry between meals. I also enjoy the Chia pudding, kind of like Tapioca................ Ann

Mick6 04-23-2012 06:21 AM

I put chia in meatballs. It was fantastic!

Nigel 04-23-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianafoot (Post 15602463)
Last night I threw a cup of almond milk (Silk, original, unsweetened), a tablespoon of chia seeds, a tablespoon of Hershey's special dark cocoa, and one drop of Sweetzfree into the blender. Whirred on high for about a minute and poured into a tall, fancy glass. This was the most amazing thick rich chocolate drink I have ever had! Kind of like a super chocolate shake.

And this morning, I had more energy than I could believe, coincidence? I'll have to repeat that experiment! :jumpjoy: (BTW I was down another pound this morning.)

Congrats on the weight loss. I'll try your shake and hopefully the energy will keep working for you. I've been desperately searching for energy, so maybe it will help me too. I'll let you know. Gotta make some almond milk first.

sungoddess 04-23-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micksgonepb (Post 15602532)
I put chia in meatballs. It was fantastic!

I would like to do this. How much of the seeds did you use per pound of meat? What was the result? Were they moister?

ladeeda 04-23-2012 09:30 AM

I have been adding 1/2 T ground chia to 3T whey powder in a savory variation of LindaSue's Better Than Boxed Pancake recipe. You can't tell it's there. Give it a try in any "bread" recipe you have...yeah, Omega 3.

Soobee 04-23-2012 11:32 AM

I use 1-2 teaspoons per pound. Usually the meatballs are simmering in sauce, and the chia seeds can't been seen or tasted. But the meatballs are juicy instead of hard.

Nigel 04-23-2012 12:33 PM

The chia works great in meatloaf too. I added a tablespoon to about 2lbs of ground meat when I made it.

I was giving my dog about 1/4 teaspoon of it daily in her canned dog food cause she wasn't up to par. She started feeling better after a few days and she loved her dog food then. It helped her gain energy. I learn a lot from my dogs. :)

sungoddess 04-23-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 15603599)
I use 1-2 teaspoons per pound. Usually the meatballs are simmering in sauce, and the chia seeds can't been seen or tasted. But the meatballs are juicy instead of hard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 15603779)
The chia works great in meatloaf too. I added a tablespoon to about 2lbs of ground meat when I made it.

I was giving my dog about 1/4 teaspoon of it daily in her canned dog food cause she wasn't up to par. She started feeling better after a few days and she loved her dog food then. It helped her gain energy. I learn a lot from my dogs. :)

Thank you! Can't wait to try this.

dawnyama 04-24-2012 05:10 AM

Chia was mentioned on the show "The Revolution". Harley pasternick (how DO you spell his name anyway LOL?) the trainer to the stars was saying this was a great superfood!! But when it was on camera, it looked pretty gross. He said to soak it in water to get the gel. Again it looked awful and the girl who was on with him said something like "looks great" but with much sarcasm in her voice LOL. But people are catching on .

MargD 04-24-2012 06:08 AM

Quote:

I made this between work and my workout yesterday and I really enjoyed it. Thanks for posting the recipe.

dianafoot 04-24-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

I just realized that the sweetener I used was EzSweetz, not Sweetzfree. Just a drop. today I added about 2 Tbs Erythritol to the blender because it just needed to be a hair sweeter. Oh, My Goodness. Nirvana. I did try this with regular cocoa yesterday and it was good, well, just okay. Not the mind-blowing dark rich chocolate concoction of this recipe, though.

rosethorns 04-24-2012 06:27 PM

Diana I'm going to try your drink recipe . Thanks.

PaminKY 04-25-2012 01:04 PM

I try to drink a chia fresca every weekday at work. I make it with a glass of water, about 12 ozs, and two tablespoons of chia seeds with some TrueLemon sprinkled in and a bit of stevia. Mix it up and let it gel for about an hour and drink it down.

I have quite a bit of foot pain at times and I have found that I can drink this in the afternoon and the next morning I will have no foot pain at all. Sometimes I get lazy and skip it for a few days and the foot pain returns and as soon as I drink it again it goes away. I've seen where you can buy it in capsule form and I thought about ordering some for my husband since he absolutely refuses to drink it.

I also use it in cooking for thickening, works great with soups and stews and I also use it a lot when making sunflower/parmesan crackers.

I got a glass gelling right now.

rosethorns 04-25-2012 01:50 PM

the chocolate drink was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nigel 04-25-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

I made this today. Mine was a little weak since I added ice. Next time, I'll just pop it in the freezer for a while instead of adding ice. It was tasty like a chocolate shake though. I liked it. I'll let you know if I get any energy. I'm desperately searching for energy lately.

Mad4Chillas 04-25-2012 04:57 PM

I made a really delicious Vanilla Chia Spice pudding the other day, helps with my sweet cravings.

Vanilla Spice Chia Pudding
-3/4 Cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
-1/4 Cup Sugar Free Vanilla Creamer
-3 Packets Splenda (or sweetness to taste)
-1 Tsp. Cinnamon
-1/2 Tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
-3 Tbsp. Chia Seeds

Combine Almond Milk, Creamer, Splenda, Cinnamon, & Pumpkin Pie Spice in a small blender (I use a magic bullet) until well combined. Place into a bowl or a large cup with a lid. Stir in 3 Tbsp. of Chia seed, stirring periodically to make sure they are completely coated. Refigerate overnight. Enjoy :)

rosethorns 04-25-2012 05:23 PM

If you grind it will the chia still gel??

theredhead 04-25-2012 07:00 PM

I'm planning on making a veggie soup in the crock pot tomorrow. What would happen if I put a little chia seed into it? Does it thicken? Would it be more like a stew that way?

dianafoot 04-25-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 15610378)
If you grind it will the chia still gel??

I ground the chia at first before adding it to my chocolate drink. It gelled just fine, but I found that there was no difference in the consistency of the drink when I ground it beforehand, or when I just put it in the blender with the other ingredients and blended everything together. I didn't want the little "tapioca pearls" effect, so that is why I chose to blend it instead of stirring it. The results in both cases were a sort of milkshake that was very thick and rich. If I had added another tablespoon of chia seeds to the mix, it would have been pudding.

I have an ice cream mix in the making right now, using cottage cheese (a la Lauren at Healthy Indulgences), but I added Almond milk, dark chocolate cocoa, and chia seeds to that mix. It was mostly because the cottage cheese had too much salt in it and I needed to lighten it up. The mix tastes wonderful. Tomorrow, I will put it through the ice cream maker and report on the results.

Brendajm 04-26-2012 02:48 AM

I made the chia gel and added it to the Stella scones. It made them very moist. I am going to add some to biscuits today.
If you add it to meatballs or meatloaf are you grinding it first or added whole?
That chocolate drink sounds good. Might try that later.

Soobee 04-26-2012 02:55 AM

I add them whole, but the meatballs are simmered in the sauce. I don't know how they would work just baked, although in meatloaf, they also disappear. I hate grinding them because it's an extra step and I am extra lazy.