Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I need a week's worth of recipes for Non Low Carbers

Hey guys,

My family will be in town for my graduation pretty soon.

I want to compile a week's worth of recipes so that I'm not cooking separate meals.

I know I can do grilled/roasted meats and veggies for every one HOWEVER, I've been doing a lot of oven grilled or oven roasted meats lately and quite frankly I'm a bit tired of roasted meats at the moment.

So, anyone have recipes that I can use for non low carbers that would not be too high in fat but still low carb. I'm trying to avoid being stuck in the kitchen for hours making seperate meals.

Since they don't low carb and will be here for a week, I don't want to make them meals the way I usually eat which is high fat. My mom has cholesterol issues (she refuses to do LC by the way) - So I don't want to give her high fat foods. At the same time, I don't want to sacrifice what works for me which is high fat to keep my appetite in check. Whenever I start lowering my fat amount, I start getting the munchies and actually eat a lot more. Don't want that. Is there a happy medium besides roasted/grilled meats and veggies?
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Well, you can do fish and chicken and lean meats like that, and then up your fat content by adding butter, mayo, hollandaise as a sauce (and not for them-- let them have lemon juice, etc).

Honestly, with visitors, doing stuff in the oven or grill is the simplest, for me.

So, some thoughts:

baked chicken (breasts for them, thighs for you) with parm. Put a wee bit of dijon and then the parm on theirs, and put mayo and parm on yours. 2 dishes (or 1) but in the oven together.

tilapia or white fish of your choice, baked in the oven in brown butter (this is a Dana Carpender recipe-- do you have her books? I can PM you if you want, let me know)... Serve theirs without the butter sauce, and yours with.

PASTA buy them some whole wheat (or spare some of your dreamfields, etc) and the tomato/meat sauce can be quite LF (add sausage and more meat to yours, less sauce)... You can make zucchini strips or use shirataki noodles, and have the same sauce. Big salad, side of bread for them, everyone's happy.

Go out one night!

Order chinese another night, or pizza. They eat the whole thing (can get whole wheat, no cheese or maybe a pesto pizza for mom) and you can eat just the toppings, with a big salad.

Definitely go out at least 1x, especially since it's your graduation, you shouldn't have to feed the house all week.

CONGRATULATIONS on your graduation too btw!

Soren

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank You Soren.

They don't like pasta, but fish sounds great. I don't have Dana Carpender's books. I would greatly appreciate anything you can send.

My dad is taking us all out after graduation so I'm looking forward to at least 1 day of not cooking. Looking forward to LongHorn Steakhouse or Joe's Crab Shack.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok, I'll PM what I can tomorrow night, hope that's ok.

You'll get more ideas here too I'm sure!
S.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
My suggestions would be:

Meatloaf

Chef's Salad and crackers for non LC'ers (use any leftover meats and cheeses for the protein)

Sloppy Joes (have yours on lettuce or plain)

*pick up a bucket of fried chicken*

Baked Roast with veggies (your choice of veggies)

Baked Chicken and loaded cauliflower and coleslaw

Loaded nachos (use pepperoni as the chips for yours)

Stroganoff and serve them rice to pour it over

Beef Stew

Burgers

Salisbury Steak

Swiss Steak

Chopped Steak

***Use your crock pot as much as possible***

Pulled pork tacos

Chili

Last edited by Nigel; 04-17-2012 at 09:33 PM..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:50 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
I would pull the crockpot out. Loads of slow cooker recipes here. If you need some let me know on here. I can post some that I have collected. I LOVE the crockpot. Chop a few things up in the morning and dinner is ready! And congratulations on your graduation!!!! What degree are you finishing with?
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Check out Linda Sue's website. I always make a few of her casseroles ahead of time for company. That way I don't have to worry about a lot of cooking when the guests arrive.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbChick
Stats: First Time -265/219 RESTART 04-09-12 -276/268/155
WOE: Low Carb - Atkins
Start Date: 4/9/12
Tilly, I'd love to get some of those recipes if you're willing to share some of your favorites!

Here's one I made recently that I just love: "Creamy Salsa Chicken"

It's so easy!

put a package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or, even better, tenderloins) in a crock pot and add a 8 oz package of cream cheese (I cut mine into about 8 squares) and a jar of salsa (I used the Tostitos restaurant-style)

Then let it cook for either 4-5 hours on high heat or 8 hours on low heat....when you serve, it makes a delicious creamy dish that you can serve over fiesta rice, for non-LC eaters, or cauliflower-rice for LC eaters!!! DELISH!!!

Restarted 04-09-12

Ready for real change!
LowCarbChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
LindaSue's Spinach Lasagna. I would double the recipe, I also add a can of sliced mushrooms to the meat mixture and serve garlic bread to the non-low carbers and maybe a salad.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Make pasta sauce and meatballs (for you), cook pasta for them.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Taco night! taco salad for you....
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks everyone! Some good ideas here.
Unfortunately I don't have a crockpot. Hmm. Might have to see if I can find one on sale this weekend.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
I would pull the crockpot out. Loads of slow cooker recipes here. If you need some let me know on here. I can post some that I have collected. I LOVE the crockpot. Chop a few things up in the morning and dinner is ready! And congratulations on your graduation!!!! What degree are you finishing with?
Thank you.

I'm getting a degree in nursing.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The world needs nurses! If the market is anything like it was a few years ago when my friend's got into it, there is a lot of $ to be made (in some sectors)... I'm getting off track

If you can't find a crockpot for this week, do make it a mission to find one. Or 2-- a smaller one and a bigger one (I got my big one at Costco)... Dana Carpender has a very good, truly LC crockpot cookbook (I'll own up, I have all her books...) -- I have another "LC" crockpot cookbook, but it's not truly LC, most of the recipes have some element I wouldn't eat in them.

I'm going to PM you the tilapia (or any white fish) dish I do, it's super easy b/c it's in the oven. I'll also find my favorite "1 skilled" suppers from her 15 minute book

LOTS of things you can do, great ideas in this thread!

Soren
Old 04-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdcri
Stats: 236/135 (GB in 2009)... now 160.8/152.8/125
WOE: Low carb - nothing specific
Start Date: March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
Thank you.

I'm getting a degree in nursing.
Congrats!! I was just accepted into my nursing program and start this september!!
jdcri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcri View Post
Congrats!! I was just accepted into my nursing program and start this september!!
Congratulations!!

I know you must be excited!! If you ever need any studying tips or help, feel free to PM me.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
The world needs nurses! If the market is anything like it was a few years ago when my friend's got into it, there is a lot of $ to be made (in some sectors)... I'm getting off track

If you can't find a crockpot for this week, do make it a mission to find one. Or 2-- a smaller one and a bigger one (I got my big one at Costco)... Dana Carpender has a very good, truly LC crockpot cookbook (I'll own up, I have all her books...) -- I have another "LC" crockpot cookbook, but it's not truly LC, most of the recipes have some element I wouldn't eat in them.

I'm going to PM you the tilapia (or any white fish) dish I do, it's super easy b/c it's in the oven. I'll also find my favorite "1 skilled" suppers from her 15 minute book

LOTS of things you can do, great ideas in this thread!

Soren
I'm going to look for one this weekend. I need one, especially for when I start working. I am not going to look forward to cooking after 12 hr shifts!
Old 04-19-2012, 01:15 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Walmart has some great deals on them usually. An oval shaped one is really a good shape for many things (chicken, roasts, etc.).

Last edited by watcher513; 04-19-2012 at 01:16 AM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:05 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
I'm going to look for one this weekend. I need one, especially for when I start working. I am not going to look forward to cooking after 12 hr shifts!
You take yourself over to Wal Mart as soon as possible and plug that puppy in and start chopping! You will LOVE it! Well, I think you will, I know I do. I will get on finding those recipes and sharing later today or tomorrow or Saturday. Been way too busy.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
The new crockpots are very hot. See if your mom has an old rival the heat is lower.I've 3 crockpots.

For your family how about Banana split cake. It makes alot, nobody would know it's lc. YUMMY.

Congrats on graduation!!!!!!!!!!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
The new crockpots are very hot. See if your mom has an old rival the heat is lower.I've 3 crockpots.

For your family how about Banana split cake. It makes alot, nobody would know it's lc. YUMMY.

Congrats on graduation!!!!!!!!!!
There is a recipe for Italien Turkey Meatballs in the crockpot that I just made a couple of weeks ago. My girls and I really liked it. I put their meatballs on top of spaghetti and mine, as is. I found it on a site called Slow Cooker From Scratch. And obviously, they have a LOT of crockpot recipes. Yes, my 4 or 5 year old crockpot does cook hot, but I learned that early on and just adjust the temperature. So when something says to cook on low I just dial it down a wee bit. I have taken that pot camping with us!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
I would echo a lot of ideas here: taco bar- burritoes or shells for them, salads for you. Soups: mexican chicken soup, chili, kielbasa stew, whatever lc soups you like really, and serve bread on the side if they want/need.
Any kind of meatballs- chicken, beef, turkey- with whatever sauce you like. Theirs over ww or reg pasta, yours over green beans.
Wrap bar- tortillas, chicken or ham, flavored cream cheese, dijon, lots of veggies- wraps for them, salads for you.
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
This is a really good thread .

Add your favorite Crock Pot Recipe!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susanpmi
Stats: 134/132/125 5'4"
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbChick View Post
Tilly, I'd love to get some of those recipes if you're willing to share some of your favorites!

Here's one I made recently that I just love: "Creamy Salsa Chicken"

It's so easy!

put a package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or, even better, tenderloins) in a crock pot and add a 8 oz package of cream cheese (I cut mine into about 8 squares) and a jar of salsa (I used the Tostitos restaurant-style)

Then let it cook for either 4-5 hours on high heat or 8 hours on low heat....when you serve, it makes a delicious creamy dish that you can serve over fiesta rice, for non-LC eaters, or cauliflower-rice for LC eaters!!! DELISH!!!
Just made this for a non LC friend. She had it on brown rice and corn combo, I had it on Cauli rice. It was so good. After the chicken was gone, I just had the leftover creamy, spicy sauce on leftover cauli rice and I thought it was even better than the original dish! So easy and good!
Susanpmi is offline   Reply With Quote