Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   I need a week's worth of recipes for Non Low Carbers (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/768191-i-need-weeks-worth-recipes-non-low-carbers.html)

tulipsandroses 04-17-2012 07:54 PM

I need a week's worth of recipes for Non Low Carbers
 
Hey guys,

My family will be in town for my graduation pretty soon.

I want to compile a week's worth of recipes so that I'm not cooking separate meals.

I know I can do grilled/roasted meats and veggies for every one HOWEVER, I've been doing a lot of oven grilled or oven roasted meats lately and quite frankly I'm a bit tired of roasted meats at the moment.

So, anyone have recipes that I can use for non low carbers that would not be too high in fat but still low carb. I'm trying to avoid being stuck in the kitchen for hours making seperate meals.

Since they don't low carb and will be here for a week, I don't want to make them meals the way I usually eat which is high fat. My mom has cholesterol issues (she refuses to do LC by the way) - So I don't want to give her high fat foods. At the same time, I don't want to sacrifice what works for me which is high fat to keep my appetite in check. Whenever I start lowering my fat amount, I start getting the munchies and actually eat a lot more. Don't want that. Is there a happy medium besides roasted/grilled meats and veggies?

sorenkkg 04-17-2012 08:01 PM

Well, you can do fish and chicken and lean meats like that, and then up your fat content by adding butter, mayo, hollandaise as a sauce (and not for them-- let them have lemon juice, etc).

Honestly, with visitors, doing stuff in the oven or grill is the simplest, for me.

So, some thoughts:

baked chicken (breasts for them, thighs for you) with parm. Put a wee bit of dijon and then the parm on theirs, and put mayo and parm on yours. 2 dishes (or 1) but in the oven together.

tilapia or white fish of your choice, baked in the oven in brown butter (this is a Dana Carpender recipe-- do you have her books? I can PM you if you want, let me know)... Serve theirs without the butter sauce, and yours with.

PASTA :) buy them some whole wheat (or spare some of your dreamfields, etc) and the tomato/meat sauce can be quite LF (add sausage and more meat to yours, less sauce)... You can make zucchini strips or use shirataki noodles, and have the same sauce. Big salad, side of bread for them, everyone's happy.

Go out one night!

Order chinese another night, or pizza. They eat the whole thing (can get whole wheat, no cheese or maybe a pesto pizza for mom) and you can eat just the toppings, with a big salad.

Definitely go out at least 1x, especially since it's your graduation, you shouldn't have to feed the house all week.

CONGRATULATIONS on your graduation too btw! :D

Soren

tulipsandroses 04-17-2012 08:38 PM

Thank You Soren.

They don't like pasta, but fish sounds great. I don't have Dana Carpender's books. I would greatly appreciate anything you can send.

My dad is taking us all out after graduation so I'm looking forward to at least 1 day of not cooking. Looking forward to LongHorn Steakhouse or Joe's Crab Shack.

sorenkkg 04-17-2012 08:51 PM

Ok, I'll PM what I can tomorrow night, hope that's ok.

You'll get more ideas here too I'm sure!
S.

Nigel 04-17-2012 09:32 PM

My suggestions would be:

Meatloaf

Chef's Salad and crackers for non LC'ers (use any leftover meats and cheeses for the protein)

Sloppy Joes (have yours on lettuce or plain)

*pick up a bucket of fried chicken*

Baked Roast with veggies (your choice of veggies)

Baked Chicken and loaded cauliflower and coleslaw

Loaded nachos (use pepperoni as the chips for yours)

Stroganoff and serve them rice to pour it over

Beef Stew

Burgers

Salisbury Steak

Swiss Steak

Chopped Steak

***Use your crock pot as much as possible***

Pulled pork tacos

Chili

Tilly 04-18-2012 02:50 AM

I would pull the crockpot out. Loads of slow cooker recipes here. If you need some let me know on here. I can post some that I have collected. I LOVE the crockpot. Chop a few things up in the morning and dinner is ready! And congratulations on your graduation!!!! What degree are you finishing with? :jumpjoy:

Soobee 04-18-2012 07:04 AM

Check out Linda Sue's website. I always make a few of her casseroles ahead of time for company. That way I don't have to worry about a lot of cooking when the guests arrive.

LowCarbChick 04-18-2012 08:18 AM

Tilly, I'd love to get some of those recipes if you're willing to share some of your favorites!

Here's one I made recently that I just love: "Creamy Salsa Chicken"

It's so easy!

put a package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or, even better, tenderloins) in a crock pot and add a 8 oz package of cream cheese (I cut mine into about 8 squares) and a jar of salsa (I used the Tostitos restaurant-style)

Then let it cook for either 4-5 hours on high heat or 8 hours on low heat....when you serve, it makes a delicious creamy dish that you can serve over fiesta rice, for non-LC eaters, or cauliflower-rice for LC eaters!!! DELISH!!!

PaminKY 04-18-2012 10:55 AM

LindaSue's Spinach Lasagna. I would double the recipe, I also add a can of sliced mushrooms to the meat mixture and serve garlic bread to the non-low carbers and maybe a salad.

Dottie 04-18-2012 11:04 AM

Make pasta sauce and meatballs (for you), cook pasta for them.

pocahontas 04-18-2012 01:27 PM

Taco night! taco salad for you.... :D

tulipsandroses 04-18-2012 02:21 PM

Thanks everyone! Some good ideas here.
Unfortunately I don't have a crockpot. Hmm. Might have to see if I can find one on sale this weekend.

tulipsandroses 04-18-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilly (Post 15589382)
I would pull the crockpot out. Loads of slow cooker recipes here. If you need some let me know on here. I can post some that I have collected. I LOVE the crockpot. Chop a few things up in the morning and dinner is ready! And congratulations on your graduation!!!! What degree are you finishing with? :jumpjoy:

Thank you.

I'm getting a degree in nursing.

sorenkkg 04-18-2012 02:34 PM

The world needs nurses! If the market is anything like it was a few years ago when my friend's got into it, there is a lot of $ to be made (in some sectors)... I'm getting off track :p

If you can't find a crockpot for this week, do make it a mission to find one. Or 2-- a smaller one and a bigger one (I got my big one at Costco)... Dana Carpender has a very good, truly LC crockpot cookbook (I'll own up, I have all her books...) -- I have another "LC" crockpot cookbook, but it's not truly LC, most of the recipes have some element I wouldn't eat in them.

I'm going to PM you the tilapia (or any white fish) dish I do, it's super easy b/c it's in the oven. I'll also find my favorite "1 skilled" suppers from her 15 minute book :)

LOTS of things you can do, great ideas in this thread!

Soren

jdcri 04-18-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tulipsandroses (Post 15591510)
Thank you.

I'm getting a degree in nursing.

Congrats!! I was just accepted into my nursing program and start this september!!

tulipsandroses 04-18-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdcri (Post 15591568)
Congrats!! I was just accepted into my nursing program and start this september!!

Congratulations!!

I know you must be excited!! If you ever need any studying tips or help, feel free to PM me.

tulipsandroses 04-18-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorenkkg (Post 15591534)
The world needs nurses! If the market is anything like it was a few years ago when my friend's got into it, there is a lot of $ to be made (in some sectors)... I'm getting off track :p

If you can't find a crockpot for this week, do make it a mission to find one. Or 2-- a smaller one and a bigger one (I got my big one at Costco)... Dana Carpender has a very good, truly LC crockpot cookbook (I'll own up, I have all her books...) -- I have another "LC" crockpot cookbook, but it's not truly LC, most of the recipes have some element I wouldn't eat in them.

I'm going to PM you the tilapia (or any white fish) dish I do, it's super easy b/c it's in the oven. I'll also find my favorite "1 skilled" suppers from her 15 minute book :)

LOTS of things you can do, great ideas in this thread!

Soren

I'm going to look for one this weekend. I need one, especially for when I start working. I am not going to look forward to cooking after 12 hr shifts!

watcher513 04-19-2012 01:15 AM

Walmart has some great deals on them usually. An oval shaped one is really a good shape for many things (chicken, roasts, etc.).

Tilly 04-19-2012 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tulipsandroses (Post 15591689)
I'm going to look for one this weekend. I need one, especially for when I start working. I am not going to look forward to cooking after 12 hr shifts!

You take yourself over to Wal Mart as soon as possible and plug that puppy in and start chopping! You will LOVE it! Well, I think you will, I know I do. I will get on finding those recipes and sharing later today or tomorrow or Saturday. Been way too busy.

rosethorns 04-19-2012 06:54 AM

The new crockpots are very hot. See if your mom has an old rival the heat is lower.I've 3 crockpots.

For your family how about Banana split cake. It makes alot, nobody would know it's lc. YUMMY.

Congrats on graduation!!!!!!!!!!

Tilly 04-19-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 15593162)
The new crockpots are very hot. See if your mom has an old rival the heat is lower.I've 3 crockpots.

For your family how about Banana split cake. It makes alot, nobody would know it's lc. YUMMY.

Congrats on graduation!!!!!!!!!!

There is a recipe for Italien Turkey Meatballs in the crockpot that I just made a couple of weeks ago. My girls and I really liked it. I put their meatballs on top of spaghetti and mine, as is. I found it on a site called Slow Cooker From Scratch. And obviously, they have a LOT of crockpot recipes. Yes, my 4 or 5 year old crockpot does cook hot, but I learned that early on and just adjust the temperature. So when something says to cook on low I just dial it down a wee bit. I have taken that pot camping with us!

millergirl1976 04-19-2012 12:50 PM

I would echo a lot of ideas here: taco bar- burritoes or shells for them, salads for you. Soups: mexican chicken soup, chili, kielbasa stew, whatever lc soups you like really, and serve bread on the side if they want/need.
Any kind of meatballs- chicken, beef, turkey- with whatever sauce you like. Theirs over ww or reg pasta, yours over green beans.
Wrap bar- tortillas, chicken or ham, flavored cream cheese, dijon, lots of veggies- wraps for them, salads for you.

rosethorns 04-19-2012 01:16 PM

This is a really good thread .



http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/re...ot-recipe.html

Susanpmi 06-03-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowCarbChick (Post 15590308)
Tilly, I'd love to get some of those recipes if you're willing to share some of your favorites!

Here's one I made recently that I just love: "Creamy Salsa Chicken"

It's so easy!

put a package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or, even better, tenderloins) in a crock pot and add a 8 oz package of cream cheese (I cut mine into about 8 squares) and a jar of salsa (I used the Tostitos restaurant-style)

Then let it cook for either 4-5 hours on high heat or 8 hours on low heat....when you serve, it makes a delicious creamy dish that you can serve over fiesta rice, for non-LC eaters, or cauliflower-rice for LC eaters!!! DELISH!!!

Just made this for a non LC friend. She had it on brown rice and corn combo, I had it on Cauli rice. It was so good. After the chicken was gone, I just had the leftover creamy, spicy sauce on leftover cauli rice and I thought it was even better than the original dish! So easy and good!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:37 AM.