Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   A Fantastic Flour Mix (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/768175-fantastic-flour-mix.html)

ouizoid 04-17-2012 04:33 PM

A Fantastic Flour Mix

Here is a link to the Fantastic Flour Mix Big Batch & Recipes sticky thread for your convenience: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...h-recipes.html

I've been experimenting with using powdered eggwhites in my flour mixes instead of adding eggs later. I love it! the goods I "bake" in the microwave puff up so high and the grain of the flour is so lovely. The recipe that follows makes an absolutely enormous "one minute muffin" I love the texture and I love how easily I can change the flavours. So far today, I made a pumpkin one and a blueberry one. Delicious!

Basic flour mixture

2 Tbs Oatfiber
2 Tbs coconut flour (60)
1 Tbs vanilla protein powder (30)
1 Tbs eggwhite powder (22)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder
1 Tbs erythritol (optional)
spices (optional--but is great with pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon)

To this I add a mixture of davinci SF syrup and water or almond milk. My mixture is about 1/2 cup to start, but because of the coconut flour, more liquid may be necessary. Experiment with it.

The one I made for lunch had 2 TBS pumpkin added. The one this afternoon had 1/2 cup blueberries.

I made a topping from 2 TBS ff cream cheese mixed with a little vanilla davinci's

Let me know if you try this. I just loved the texture and how filling it is for so little in the way of calories.

Nigel 04-17-2012 04:40 PM

Thank you for the recipe. I have all the stuff to make this one too. I'll be trying it later on this week.

rosethorns 04-17-2012 04:44 PM

It sounds great. I don't have everything. On my soon to do list. Thanks.

SherBel 04-17-2012 05:55 PM

I have everything except the eggwhite powder, but I think my local health store would carry it. My current batch of biscuits are a bit, um, dense. (That's because instead of using your recipe, which I love..... I winged it. Lesson learned.)

I'll have to give these a try.

jdcri 04-17-2012 07:32 PM

Only thing I do not have is glocomannan powder but i may try using xanthan or guar or acacia instead - sounds good!

Brendajm 04-18-2012 05:39 AM

where do you get egg white powder?

ouizoid 04-18-2012 05:57 AM

a few years ago, I ordered a huge tin of it from an "emergency" supplies store online. I've seen it in a small tin with the baking supplies at the grocery store. I have enough to last a few years!

shirlc 04-18-2012 06:07 AM

Netrition.com Search

^^^^This is a little spendy, but it's what I have.

Oops, my link didn't work...it's called "Deb El Just Whites Dried Egg Whites"

Brendajm 04-18-2012 06:17 AM

I just got my netrition order yesterday and wont be placing another for a month or so. I wish I knew of this then..haha.. I love making those english muffins of Jens but my last few came out kinda dense and this might help

Brendajm 04-18-2012 06:18 AM

quiz, about how many calories are in your "big:" muffin?

shirlc 04-18-2012 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendajm (Post 15589824)
I just got my netrition order yesterday and wont be placing another for a month or so. I wish I knew of this then..haha.. I love making those english muffins of Jens but my last few came out kinda dense and this might help

Brenda, I am able to buy this at HyVee locally.

ouizoid 04-18-2012 06:43 AM

Brenda--I listed the calories in the recipe. Looks like about 110 for a huge huge bowl of cake. I had one for lunch and one late yesterday afternoon. very filling.

ouizoid 04-18-2012 06:44 AM

I should have said in the original recipe--I nuked this for closer to 3 minutes--

BeckyM 04-18-2012 06:55 AM

I have powdered whole eggs, probably from the same place you got your egg white powder. Do you think the whole egg powder would work, too? It works well in some recipes, but not so well in ones where the egg flavor is pronounced.

Becky

Brendajm 04-18-2012 06:56 AM

Wow,, only 110,, awesome

gharkness 04-18-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckyM (Post 15589976)
I have powdered whole eggs, probably from the same place you got your egg white powder. Do you think the whole egg powder would work, too? It works well in some recipes, but not so well in ones where the egg flavor is pronounced.

Becky

This would probably work, but the calories would most likely be different because egg yolks have more calories than egg whites.

@ Ouizoid: I am so glad you posted this because somehow I had it firmly fixed in my mind that coconut flour was 60 calories for ONE tablespoon! So when I saw your calculation I went and checked, and sure enough - it's 30! You just made my day! :D

ouizoid 04-18-2012 07:06 AM

you know--the thing I like about the powdered eggwhites is the loft and height of the finished product--as well as the great grain or texture--I'm unclear about the whole eggs and whether or not they would do the same thing. Try it and let us know!

ouizoid 04-18-2012 07:09 AM

plan to make a cinnamon apple version of this later this afternoon--adding SF apple cider mix to the flour and some cubed apples. Will report back :)

gharkness 04-18-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouizoid (Post 15590026)
you know--the thing I like about the powdered eggwhites is the loft and height of the finished product--as well as the great grain or texture--I'm unclear about the whole eggs and whether or not they would do the same thing. Try it and let us know!

BTW, I have been using the powdered whites in my muffins for some times, but haven't gotten as good results as you describe (height and lift). I do know that the powdered whites are (for me) hard to mix in well. Maybe that's the key. Gotta try harder. Thanks again for this recipe, and I have it memorialized in Evernote now!

pooticus 04-18-2012 07:22 AM

Georgene I add mine into breads and muffins when I add the baking powder and glucomannan powders. I just sift all of those together at the same time.

I do agree with Ouzie that adding egg white really helps strengthen gluten free flour mixtures. Also, adding gelatin does as well.

I still add the liquid egg whites as part of the liquid in my recipes but the egg white powder is kinda treated as a dough conditioner and is separate from my use of egg or liquid in the recipe.

gharkness 04-18-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pooticus (Post 15590076)
Georgene I add mine into breads and muffins when I add the baking powder and glucomannan powders. I just sift all of those together at the same time.

I do agree with Ouzie that adding egg white really helps strengthen gluten free flour mixtures. Also, adding gelatin does as well.

I still add the liquid egg whites as part of the liquid in my recipes but the egg white powder is kinda treated as a dough conditioner and is separate from my use of egg or liquid in the recipe.

Sift? You SIFT? Oh heck, on a down day it's a wonder I even bother to stir :hyst: By the time I get home from work I am ready to make it up and EAT it.

But yeah, that makes sense. Yesterday I did a muffin with ONE real egg white, and a couple powdered ones, and that DID turn out better. Just not as light and high as I prefer.

On UD's I use the whole egg, and that turns out really nice!

ouizoid 04-18-2012 07:50 AM

sifting! never even thought! will have to experiment--

I made a few bags of this mixture up in advance to have available when I am hungry. Taking one in to work today --already have davinci's at work, so a simple matter to stir some and some water into the mix and nuke for 2-3 minutes. very very satisfying! I can also say that adding some puree such as pumpkin or Walden farms dip or applesauce is really nice with this. I am juddding so carbs are not such a big deal. I plan to add some raisins into my apple version this afternoon.

SEMO 04-18-2012 07:56 AM

marking my spot so I can find it again. :0) Sounds great, ordering my supplies now, Thanks

gharkness 04-18-2012 07:57 AM

Another thing that works really well is to add some shredded zucchini or even yellow squash. It gives more volume and moisture, and a half-cup is about 10 calories. Usually it just "disappears" into the muffin, but if you do see some shreds, they don't have a funky taste or anything.

pooticus 04-18-2012 08:17 AM

On the sifting subject...I use one of those tiny little mesh strainers with the bigger holes in them. It fits on the top of a tea cup lol. And I just keep it sittin' out on the counter, pop it over the bowl and scrape it with the back of a spoon. Easy peasy, nice and breezy. I call it sifted and am done. LOL. I don't even wash it between uses lol. *snort*

PaminKY 04-18-2012 08:51 AM

Thanks for the recipe, I have all the ingredients so I'll try it soon.

I have found the Deb El powdered egg whites at just about every grocery store I go to including Wal-Mart, Kroger and Meijer usually in the baking goods sections. I've found the powdered whole eggs at sporting good stores in the MRE section which is usually near the backpacking/campings sections.

gharkness 04-18-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

I have found the Deb El powdered egg whites at just about every grocery store I go to including Wal-Mart, Kroger and Meijer usually in the baking goods sections. I've found the powdered whole eggs at sporting good stores in the MRE section which is usually near the backpacking/campings sections.
I found them at $15.00 a small can at my local health food store! Ridiculous! So I saved the (empty) can I already had and bought a gallon from the emergency supply house, for not much more than the $15.00.

By the way, the squash I mentioned has its uses, but it doesn't do the wonderful job of flavoring that the pumpkin does in ouizoid's recipe. Just so ya know....

BeckyM 04-18-2012 09:14 AM

I have a really old can of the Deb El, so maybe I will try those first, rather than the powdered whole eggs. I use the powdered eggs in my brownies to good effect, so they won't go to waste.

gello5440 04-18-2012 05:10 PM

I have er....stomach issues with the oat fiber. Is there a recommended sub for it?

Gail

gharkness 04-19-2012 11:59 AM

I made a muffin with this last night (using 1 egg yolk and one whole egg) and the texture and flavor was PERFECT! (Typical of me, I can't get past the chocolate...so mine was chocolate flavored and really good.) I am eager to try it today (Down Day) without the entire egg. Come-ON dinnertime!