Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 06:00 AM   #241
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Ok, let me ask those of you that have the sucralose powder, do you use that to mix with other sweeteners, or in place of liquid splenda, etc? Or, do you make your own liquid splenda with it in your little labs?

I can see how it would be very handy to use when you fix up baking mixes ahead, like we are going to be doing making this mix up in bulk. And, if Judy has it, I have to get it , just joking!

I also ordered the sucralose powder from Ebay and just got it in yesterday. I wanted it to have where I could mix up a custom sweetener blend to have on hand and not have to pull out three containers everytime so in that application the liquid splenda wouldn't work. There have been a few other times when I had thought to myself that I wish I had some powder instead of liquid but I can't think what those were right now.

I thought about mixing my own liquid with the powder but I tried that one time with stevia and I had the same problem that LowCarbMan had when he did it and that was these weird moldy type floaty things appeared in it unless it was kept refrigerated. I ordered some grapefruit seed extract, which is a preservative, but they still formed. I have one bottle still in the fridge and it still looks good and I still use it if I need liquid stevia but the one I had in my desk drawer at work looked like a science experiment. Maybe that isn't a problem with sucralose, I don't know.

I ordered the 4oz container and with 1/10 tsp equals one cup I think it will last quite a while.

Thanks for the well-wishes for my Dad, he is doing a lot better after they were finally able to draw off over 2 liters of fluid from around his heart and may possibly get to go home today. I am a lucky girl to still have both my parents who are both 84 and even though they are deteriorating physically both are still mentally sharp.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #242
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
I also ordered the sucralose powder from Ebay and just got it in yesterday. I wanted it to have where I could mix up a custom sweetener blend to have on hand and not have to pull out three containers everytime so in that application the liquid splenda wouldn't work. There have been a few other times when I had thought to myself that I wish I had some powder instead of liquid but I can't think what those were right now.

I thought about mixing my own liquid with the powder but I tried that one time with stevia and I had the same problem that LowCarbMan had when he did it and that was these weird moldy type floaty things appeared in it unless it was kept refrigerated. I ordered some grapefruit seed extract, which is a preservative, but they still formed. I have one bottle still in the fridge and it still looks good and I still use it if I need liquid stevia but the one I had in my desk drawer at work looked like a science experiment. Maybe that isn't a problem with sucralose, I don't know.

I ordered the 4oz container and with 1/10 tsp equals one cup I think it will last quite a while.

Thanks for the well-wishes for my Dad, he is doing a lot better after they were finally able to draw off over 2 liters of fluid from around his heart and may possibly get to go home today. I am a lucky girl to still have both my parents who are both 84 and even though they are deteriorating physically both are still mentally sharp.
I bought the powdered sucralose last year when I had a false start with LC. I bought about everything under the sun because the recipes all called for different things. I'm not sorry I bought it, but I won't be happy if it gets those weird moldy things you describe.

I bought liquid Stevia Sweet Drops (Stevia Clear). It says to refrigerate after opening and it has always been properly refrigerated. But only a few months after opening it developed those moldy ghosty things. I have actually used it several times since those came about. I just looked at it as it's been a couple of months since I used it (I'm a little skeeved out) and the particles almost look like cottage cheese now - as if I could strain them out.

Does anyone know if it's dangerous to use this now?

And I hope your dad will get to go home - it's so much easier to rest at home.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #243
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dmburk
Stats: 260/174.5/190
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2011
My sucralose mixture never gets moldy. I only make the one TB, and use it in a month. I use it in coffee, and in cooking and baking, anything that calls for sweetness. I even used it in spaghetti sauce I canned this summer.
dmburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #244
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmburk View Post
My sucralose mixture never gets moldy. I only make the one TB, and use it in a month. I use it in coffee, and in cooking and baking, anything that calls for sweetness. I even used it in spaghetti sauce I canned this summer.
I don't know why I need to be told twice!

I have dropper bottles I got at a pharmacy - I'll make the 1 Tbsp. amount.
Thanks!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #245
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Judy, I wouldn't use anything with mold in it!!

I finally got my unflavored whey so I can make a batch, if and when I have time.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #246
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Judy, I wouldn't use anything with mold in it!!
Just not sure it is actually mold... (this is uncharacteristically hopeful for me)

Quote:
I finally got my unflavored whey so I can make a batch, if and when I have time.
Oh boy! I ordered a bunch of powdered egg whites so I can stay in business until Ouizoid markets the mix!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #247
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
yeahhhh. Market the Mix. I need some guidance on that!!!!!!!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #248
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm afraid to use the liquid stevia with the moldy things in it but what's funny is I still have it in my desk drawer and take it out and look at every once in a while (like just now, LOL). The bottle I made that I keep in the fridge at home is fine and whenever I've bought the SteviaClear and kept it in my desk it was fine also. Maybe I didn't use enough grapefruit seed extract.

I need to order some powdered egg whites too. I ordered some more oat fiber from Netrition, trying to get in enough supplies to beat the New Year's Resolution rush.

Is everybody using just powdered egg whites and whey protein powder or is anyone using egg white protein powder?

Last edited by PaminKY; 12-19-2012 at 08:44 AM..
Old 12-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #249
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I'm afraid to use the liquid stevia with the moldy things in it but what's funny is I still have it in my desk drawer and take it out and look at every once in a while (like just now, LOL). The bottle I made that I keep in the fridge at home is fine and whenever I've bought the SteviaClear and kept it in my desk it was fine also. Maybe I didn't use enough grapefruit seed extract.

I need to order some powdered egg whites too. I ordered some more oat fiber from Netrition, trying to get in enough supplies to beat the New Year's Resolution rush.

Is everybody using just powdered egg whites and whey protein powder or is anyone using egg white protein powder?
I have actually used my refrigerated Stevia with the white things - are we sure it's mold? If we are sure I'll toss it, which will make me mad because I think it was about $12. I like to mix my sweeteners in nearly everything I sweeten, but that didn't take but 2 months to start having the ghosty things in it.

I have ONLY used powdered egg whites but would love to hear if anyone is using anything else.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:

They must use some type of preservative in the liquid stevia.

I just bought a big container of the now brand egg white protein because I figured I'm making and using this mix all the time and the ingredients list just powdered egg whites so it should work. It seems to work the same as any other egg white powder.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #251
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
This just keeps getting better. Based on tweaks here, I just made a "cake" with the original recipe from page 1, only I used unflavored whey and cake batter flavor Capella drops. For the liquid I used a mix of water and unflavored DaVinci syrup.

SO GOOD OMG. I love that there are so few calories in these, and it makes a huge cake. I use a 4" round Pyrex dish (I think it's 4"). I bought a few other flavors of Capella, so I'm looking forward to more experiments! I think using unflavored whey and DaVinci really sets the stage for experimentation with these. Endless possibilities!

Next time I will try almond flour instead of coconut flour, just to see what the texture difference is like. LOVE this recipe!!!!!
6/22/13: the 100 lb. loss only lasted a few weeks, and I've since regained some of the weight. Stats updated to reflect this.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #252
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
This just keeps getting better. Based on tweaks here, I just made a "cake" with the original recipe from page 1, only I used unflavored whey and cake batter flavor Capella drops. For the liquid I used a mix of water and unflavored DaVinci syrup.

SO GOOD OMG. I love that there are so few calories in these, and it makes a huge cake. I use a 4" round Pyrex dish (I think it's 4"). I bought a few other flavors of Capella, so I'm looking forward to more experiments! I think using unflavored whey and DaVinci really sets the stage for experimentation with these. Endless possibilities!

Next time I will try almond flour instead of coconut flour, just to see what the texture difference is like. LOVE this recipe!!!!!
Interesting. I decided I needed to sub 1 Tbsp. almond flour for 1 Tbsp. coconut flour so it wouldn't be too dry. Then I also added the cake batter flavor Capella drops, but I used vanilla protein powder and vanilla DaVinci syrup - couldn't taste the cake batter flavor. That tells me the vanilla overpowered it.

Glad you tried it and I can tweak mine!
Old 12-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #253
Major LCF Poster!

This was my first time using Capella, so I didn't really know how much to use. I ended up using 6 drops, because I wanted the flavor fairly strong. I thought that was a good amount.

I didn't think it was too dry with all coconut flour. I nuked mine for 3.5 minutes in a 850-watt microwave.

The vanilla DaVinci would definitely overpower whatever else you put in there. I like the flavored syrups, but they are quite strong and will overpower anything else. Having unflavored whey and syrup was a much better neutral base to start from, to allow me to flavor it exactly as I wanted. This was the best one I've made so far.

I also got Gingerbread, Vanilla Cupcake, and NY Cheesecake flavor drops, and I can't WAIT to try them!
Old 12-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #254
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
This was my first time using Capella, so I didn't really know how much to use. I ended up using 6 drops, because I wanted the flavor fairly strong. I thought that was a good amount.

I didn't think it was too dry with all coconut flour. I nuked mine for 3.5 minutes in a 850-watt microwave.

The vanilla DaVinci would definitely overpower whatever else you put in there. I like the flavored syrups, but they are quite strong and will overpower anything else. Having unflavored whey and syrup was a much better neutral base to start from, to allow me to flavor it exactly as I wanted. This was the best one I've made so far.

I also got Gingerbread, Vanilla Cupcake, and NY Cheesecake flavor drops, and I can't WAIT to try them!
That was what I needed to know then. I don't have any unflavored DaVinci, but I will be able to use other sweeteners plus water or cream (makes it a moist cake, but obviously adds calories) for the liquid.
I DO have unflavored whey - I think I added about 4 drops, so too little.

Thanks again!
Old 12-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #255
Big Yapper!!!!

Buffy crawls out from under her rock and exclaims "Unflavored Davinci" , what, have I been living under a rock???
Old 12-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #256
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Buffy crawls out from under her rock and exclaims "Unflavored Davinci" , what, have I been living under a rock???
You're just trying to make me feel better!
Old 12-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #257
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
LOL!!! Yep!
Old 12-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #258
Big Yapper!!!!

Next thing I know they will have a SF Kahlua, oh yes, they do, found it at TJ's yesterday. Now I want that unflavored one and still need to order those cake batter drops
Old 12-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #259
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I've used the unflavored Davinci's and the Torani and I just bought the Monin brand to try. I've got a few of the flavored varieties but I prefer to buy the unflavored and then use whatever flavoring I want or none at all. I have a huge collection of flavoring and extracts.

I've been wanting to try the Monin since everyone says they are thicker. I would like to try and make my own unflavored syrup and the Monin brand uses splenda and erythritol and also cellulose gum which I also have recently purchased. This might be a perfect application for the powdered sucralose.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #260
Big Yapper!!!!

Pam, please report back on the thickness of the Monin. Like you, I have a lot of flavorings so the unflavored would be good to add to my collection of syrups.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #261
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Pam, please report back on the thickness of the Monin. Like you, I have a lot of flavorings so the unflavored would be good to add to my collection of syrups.
Buffy, just as with my Slow Burn DVDs, I have 3 Monin syrups. I have opened a chocolate and it is much thicker. I did not use it properly or in the proper 'vehicle' so they are waiting for PaminKY to give us instructions!

The bottles are quite large and look very 'important'!
Old 12-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #262
Big Yapper!!!!

I know a couple of you have tried a chocolate version of this, can you point me to what # thread post that was? Sounds good tonight.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #263
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Well I finally got the ingredients to try this mix and have finally found one that suits my taste...(which I guess is pretty picky since it took several attempts)...lol.

The coconut taste in the first batch was too much so in the 2nd batch, I added garlic and onion powder...but then I just had coconut/garlic bread....

For the 3rd batch, I left in the onion and garlic, but used 1 TB almond AND 1 TB coconut. That helped the flavor, but evidently coconut and I just don't agree on how 'savory' applications should taste. So for the 4th batch, I completely eliminated the coconut flour (as well as the onion and garlic powder), subbed UNFLAVORED whey isolate, and just used 2 TB almond flour as well as adding 1 TB of parmesan cheese and that was definitely the "magic". I guess all I can say is WOW!

So I made up a big batch of the basic mix for the freezer, and I use 1/3 cup of the mix to about 1/3 cup of Carolyn's milk, mix it up in a 4" square (22 oz.) Corningware mini-casserole dish and nuke it in my 1000 watt micro for about 1 min 55 secs. until dry on top. PERFECT!

With these changes, the nutrition for the entire recipe (without milk) is:
Cals: 151
Pro: 14.55g
Fat: 8.43g
Carb: 12.25g
Fiber: 9.5g
NET Carbs: 2.75g

I'm thinking that I could use less because this makes a large amount so maybe 1/4 and 1/4 would work better, but the cook time would have to be adjusted.

Ouizoid: I have to say, this is about as close to the taste and texture of real 'white' bread but it's gluten-free (bonus!) and does not have an off taste. Well done!!!

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...

Last edited by RVcook; 12-25-2012 at 11:02 AM..
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #264
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Thanks Donna--I agree that the almond flour version is just wonderful--the coconut flour version is good but really best for those that need the lower calorie version--but almond flour gives a superior crumb doesn't it?
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #265
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Thanks Donna--I agree that the almond flour version is just wonderful--the coconut flour version is good but really best for those that need the lower calorie version--but almond flour gives a superior crumb doesn't it?
Absolutely! And don't get me wrong...I LOVE the coconut version for sweet versions like muffins, quick-type breads and cakes, but finding a plain, neutral tasting, bread recipe has been the biggest challenge. I used to make fabulous low-carb 'regular' bread, but since going gluten-free 2 yrs. ago, it has been a tremendous uphill battle trying to find a decent recipe for any savory bread product. Your recipe definitely fills the bill...so to speak.

One thing I always look for in formulating baked goods is 'upping' the protein, but am usually disappointed because whey protein usually affects the end product with dryness. This recipe is definitely not dry and must say that this combination of ingredients has a LOT going for it besides being low in carbs!

So thanks again for your work on this. I bow to the 'master!'

Last edited by RVcook; 12-25-2012 at 11:49 AM..
Old 12-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #266
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I know a couple of you have tried a chocolate version of this, can you point me to what # thread post that was? Sounds good tonight.
I use the original recipe from page 1, with just the following changes:

-- unflavored whey, instead of vanilla
-- add 1 Tbsp. of cocoa powder (I use Hershey's Special Dark)

I find that vanilla whey tends to overpower everything else, so I've started using unflavored almost exclusively. Ditto with DaVinci syrup. I only use the unflavored DaVinci in this recipe now.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #267
Major LCF Poster!

1/4 cup mix and 1/4 cup milk works really well for a single serving. Nuke 1 min 40 secs in a 4" square corningware casserole dish in my 1000 watt micro. Perfect.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #268
Big Yapper!!!!

My chocolate turned out well, I used choc protein powder and 1 T of regular cocoa. Topped one with whipped cream and the other with breyers LC vanilla ice cream. Have my unflavored protein powder now so will make up a bigger batch. Have ordered the DaVinci unflavored syrup as well as some capella drops.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #269
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
1/4 cup mix and 1/4 cup milk works really well for a single serving. Nuke 1 min 40 secs in a 4" square corningware casserole dish in my 1000 watt micro. Perfect.
Make that 1 min 30 secs in 1000 watt micro.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #270
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Make that 1 min 30 secs in 1000 watt micro.
I'm 1 min. 30 seconds now, too - or until I see the top is no longer wet.