Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #181
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
I just ordered a few flavors of Capella drops.

And I made a sweet version for dessert tonight, using cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and a mix of water and DaVinci for the liquid (cinnamon and vanilla).

It was good, although I think the cinnamon DaVinci is very strong and overpowers everything else. Next time I won't use that flavor.

I can't wait to try different combinations!
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #182
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I like using Bobo's sweetener blend

1 cup erythritol
1 cup Splenda
1/8 tsp Stevia

This is truly the best sweetener blend for me too. I also use Steviva which is already a blend of E and stevia but I still add a bit more stevia and then splenda. I thinking about ordering some of the sucralose powder and not use the Splenda granular to get away from the maltodextrin.

Ouiz, when you make the brown sugar blend of E and molasses are you using blackstrap molasses or just regular molasses? I picked up a couple bags of the Kroger brand Ideal brown that was on clearance and I really like it (it actually had Ideal on the back label so they must make it for Kroger).

Also, Ouiz, you need to market this stuff and come up with a cookbook to sell along with it. I've tried so many different flour types over the years and this is the first one to truly get me excited. It tastes great and is low-carb but lower calorie and really not that expensive to whip up. I volunteer to be a member of your test kitchen .

Last edited by PaminKY; 12-13-2012 at 10:07 AM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I agree, this really is the best flour mix ever!! It just makes such a nice cakey texture and the taste is so neutral and the flavors can be changed up so easily. It's amazing stuff!!

I use liquid Splenda because I can't tolerate the maltodextrin.

I can't wait to try this as a cookie dough!

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 12-13-2012 at 10:39 AM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #184
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
I agree, this really is the best flour mix ever!! It just makes such a nice cakey texture and the taste is so neutral and the flavors can be changed up so easily. It's amazing stuff!!

It makes such great cookies. I made Mexican Wedding cakes that were as good as high carb, just using a regular recipe and subbing the flour. The erythritol they were coated in had the cooling effect, which doesn't bug me, but it does others, so I am going to try mixing it with inulin like others have tried. I also subbed it in a sugar cookie recipe and they were good. Now, if it makes a great bread, (not muffin-like, but bread-like) I am all set for life!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #185
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Please let us know how it works mixing the erythritol and inulin and how much of each!
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #186
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

I use liquid splenda also but would like to make up a big batch of this to have on hand and was concerned about the moisture so I think I will order the pure powdered sucralose from the same person I get my liquid splenda from.

Let us know about the cookie dough. I would love to try this in a cookie press.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #187
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
I use liquid splenda also but would like to make up a big batch of this to have on hand and was concerned about the moisture so I think I will order the pure powdered sucralose from the same person I get my liquid splenda from.

Let us know about the cookie dough. I would love to try this in a cookie press.
I didn't know there was a powdered form. I make up a big batch and just add the sweeteners when I use the mix that way I can adjust how much and what types I want to use.

Ouizoid and sungoddess already made cookies with this mix with great results.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #188
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD

Too good a result! I am having to talk myself out of making a batch right now--my mind is going wild with possibilities, lol!

Also, Ouiz, you need to market this stuff and come up with a cookbook to sell along with it. I've tried so many different flour types over the years and this is the first one to truly get me excited. It tastes great and is low-carb but lower calorie and really not that expensive to whip up. I volunteer to be a member of your test kitchen .

I would love to market my mixture! Makes me sad to think of all the poor deprived low-carbers out there! I wouldn't have any idea how to go about doing that--

oh--and Pam--regular molasses. Truthfully, I like the flavour of Yacon Syrup best, but I haven't bought any in awhile. I mix a 4 lb honeyville bag of erythritol with about 1/4 cup (or more) of molasses til it is nice and brown

Last edited by ouizoid; 12-13-2012 at 01:36 PM..
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #189
Big Yapper!!!!

Keep the cookie ideas coming.....
Old 12-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #190
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I would love to market my mixture! Makes me sad to think of all the poor deprived low-carbers out there! I wouldn't have any idea how to go about doing that--
I don't either but you should try. I've got a idea for a low-carb product too but and I need to start looking at how to patent it. It's still in the planning stage which actually means swirling around inside my head, LOL.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #191
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post

Too good a result! I am having to talk myself out of making a batch right now--my mind is going wild with possibilities, lol!

oh--and Pam--regular molasses. Truthfully, I like the flavour of Yacon Syrup best, but I haven't bought any in awhile. I mix a 4 lb honeyville bag of erythritol with about 1/4 cup (or more) of molasses til it is nice and brown
I agree. It is almost too good!
I also think you should market the stuff and do a cookbook to go with it. I would buy your book. I don't like the ones that have a lot of different authors who use totally different mixes and products as that gets way too confusing and expensive to buy all the different stuff. But with your one mix and a ton of wonderful recipes, I would buy, buy, buy! Maybe Netrition would take it on...
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #192
Major LCF Poster!

Question: is anybody else needing to microwave this for a long time? I did mine for 4 minutes this morning, and it was still kind of gooey in the middle.

Maybe I need a bigger bowl, to spread out the batter a little?
Old 12-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

I use a 6 ounce ramekin and get two cakes out of one batch and it takes about 1 1/2 minutes in my 800 watt microwave oven.

It takes a bit if experimenting to get the right times, depending on the size of the bowl and microwave you use.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #194
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
I use a 4-1/2" personal casserole for one little cake.

I second or third or sixtieth the people who are actually excited about this mix. I tried Barbo's brownie mix and my dh, my sister and mother were all knocked out by the texture and taste.

I still haven't tried the buttery biscuit - maybe today is the day! (right after work?)

Thanks again Ouizoid - this is not just low carb, it's also low calorie, I think? I guess it depends how much hwc is added.
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #195
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
I just made a waffle with the mix. Used Nature's Hollow sugar free Raspberry syrup and it was delicious. The texture and mouth feel are so close to the real thing I don't think anyone would know it's not a regular high carb waffle. It had a slightly crispy crust although not as crispy as a flour waffle but close enough. My only problem was it fell apart when trying to take it out of the waffle iron.

I absolutely suck at making low carb baked type stuff. I have no idea what, if anything, can be done to keep it from falling apart. Maybe all the fab bakers here can come up with something better. This is what I did:

1/2 c mix (unflavored whey in mine)
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp erythritol
1 tsp inulin
1 tsp splenda
combined all these in one measuring cup

1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 tbl oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
mixed all these together and then added to dry.

Batter was fairly thick, very similar to regular waffle batter but not runny. I spread it out over greased waffle so it covered almost to sides. Cooked up nice and brown and tender inside. Just too delicate. Still well worth the trouble of picking up the pieces.
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #196
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
I just made a waffle with the mix. Used Nature's Hollow sugar free Raspberry syrup and it was delicious. The texture and mouth feel are so close to the real thing I don't think anyone would know it's not a regular high carb waffle. It had a slightly crispy crust although not as crispy as a flour waffle but close enough. My only problem was it fell apart when trying to take it out of the waffle iron.

I absolutely suck at making low carb baked type stuff. I have no idea what, if anything, can be done to keep it from falling apart. Maybe all the fab bakers here can come up with something better. This is what I did:

1/2 c mix (unflavored whey in mine)
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp erythritol
1 tsp inulin
1 tsp splenda
combined all these in one measuring cup

1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 tbl oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
mixed all these together and then added to dry.

Batter was fairly thick, very similar to regular waffle batter but not runny. I spread it out over greased waffle so it covered almost to sides. Cooked up nice and brown and tender inside. Just too delicate. Still well worth the trouble of picking up the pieces.

Sorry, I misread your post but I would try adding more glucomannan in addition to what's already in the mix.

Last edited by PaminKY; 12-14-2012 at 07:18 AM..
Old 12-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #197
Big Yapper!!!!

Just love all the new things all of you are coming up with for this mix and so happy I clicked on it to begin with. Gotta get some unflavored protein powder so that I can make a big batch up.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #198
Senior LCF Member

Pam, there's Glucomannan in the mix already so do I add more or just use as is and let it sit for a while?
Old 12-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #199
Major LCF Poster!

One more question: how thin are y'all getting your batter? So far I've stopped at the "slightly viscous" stage and haven't tried it any thinner. Does that change the texture?

I think next time I will also try dividing the batter into 2 containers, which should solve the inner-goopiness problem.

I just ordered some Capella drops and unflavored whey powder, so I will really be able to go to town!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Gotcha Pam. Thanks for the help

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to send a private message on this board? I can't find it if there is.

Ouizoid, I have a link I wanted to send you in regard to the marketing of this mix. I found this site a while back and I don't know anything about this personally but thought it might be something for you to look into.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #201
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Callie I think you have to have a certain number of posts before you are allowed to send or receive private messages.

I have sometimes found success in saying "google ______". That might work.
Google is pretty forgiving when we get close enough.

And this is WAY good enough to market. I would buy it so fast and beg to become a distributor!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #202
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmmm. You probably don't have enough posts to PM me. try emailing me at--- I am going to leave this post up for a few minutes and then delete it--so email me quickly!

Last edited by ouizoid; 12-14-2012 at 07:32 AM..
Old 12-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #203
Senior LCF Member

Vilya, I don't know about the others, but I try to match the consistency of what the regular high carb recipe would be.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #204
Major LCF Poster!

I'll try thinning it out a little more and see what happens.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #205
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Question: is anybody else needing to microwave this for a long time? I did mine for 4 minutes this morning, and it was still kind of gooey in the middle.

Maybe I need a bigger bowl, to spread out the batter a little?
I just (finally) made this like a biscuit. I microwaved it for a minute and a half. That was a bit too long. Thinking I will cut it down to a minute and 15. Mine was definately not gooey, thinking of adding a bit more milk next time. Also want to measure it instead of guessing when it is damp enough. But the taste was actually good!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #206
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
Start Date: January 2011
Tried my usual blend (a few pages back, too lazy to find it!) but used caramel DaVinci syrup instead of the vanilla. . . I LOVE caramel flavor but this was just too much. That syrup must be stronger flavored. Anyway, if you try it, I'd use 1/2 caramel and 1/2 plain, or maybe even less caramel.
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #207
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
I just (finally) made this like a biscuit. I microwaved it for a minute and a half. That was a bit too long. Thinking I will cut it down to a minute and 15. Mine was definately not gooey, thinking of adding a bit more milk next time. Also want to measure it instead of guessing when it is damp enough. But the taste was actually good!
I just made the biscuit, too.
Here is Ouizoid's recipe with my sub shown:

2 Tbs Oatfiber
1 Tbs coconut flour
2 Tbs almond flour
1 Tbs vanilla protein powder<--Used 1Tbs unflavored whey protein isolate
1 Tbs egg white powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder

I mixed all the dry in a small bowl, then as suggested earlier, dribbled milk until it resembled drop biscuit dough. I used Hood CC milk. I had melted about a Tbsp of butter in my baking dish which is a 4-1/2" diameter personal casserole.

I'm so sorry - I tried to find out what my microwave wattage was, but I nuked it for 1 minute, 35 seconds until a little dry on top - I guess it could be described as "crusty".

I
AM
ASTOUNDED
how good this was. Closest thing I've ever had to a KFC biscuit.

I realize I put a lot of butter on the bottom of my baking dish and I don't think I'll do that again because it stayed on the bottom. I can portion my butter later if I like - that butter flavor was not an important part of the finished product.

The butter I spread on it, though, was just enough - just right. And it sure did taste like a biscuit!!

Also I could not possibly eat that whole thing. It is so filling and so satisfying.

Thanks to all of you clever people I can have cakes and Danish, and biscuits!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #208
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the biscuit recipe. I wonder how it would taste using buttermilk.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #209
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
Thanks for the biscuit recipe. I wonder how it would taste using buttermilk.
ERMAGERSH I was thinking the same thing. Let us know if you try it.

I just ran in the kitchen (LIAR - I walked ) and had another bite. This biscuit even has a hint of that uncooked flour taste in the KFC or McDonald's biscuit. I could be imagining it, but I like my imagination.

Now that I've oversold it, I hope you all like it too!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #210
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hmm. I have some buttermilk powder! I am thinking about adding some to the flour later today when I can cook--thanks for the brilliant idea and experiments everyone!