Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 09:57 AM   #2041
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Thank you ladies!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #2042
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emita
Stats: 115/101/95
WOE: LCHF (<30 total carbs)
Start Date: June 2013
OMG Gina! You're incredible. Thank you so much for the info and being inspired enough to take it on! WOW.

The photos look EXACTLY how it did when I made that cake for my birthday 3 years ago with the original high carb recipe! I am DROOLING.

I love strawberries and strawberry flavored things, so I am so excited to have this cake again. I'm going to add the strawberry extract to the batter, too - did you think it needed any more?

You just blended your strawberries, didn't simmer or sweeten them? I assume you just mixed some sweetener with cream cheese for your cream cheese frosting?

Just noticed you kept the amount of milk powder the same as the original recipe despite reducing the water/liquid. Should it be reduced to 1/3? carb count for this might be complicated..

I'm planning on trying the A&P spanish bar cake recipe (google!) this weekend, which uses applesauce. I will be sure to let you know my results! Just gotta pick up some more cocoa and eggs first >.<
Emita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #2043
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Gina - could you please point me at the plain white cake recipe? I've looked and searched through many pages and I'm not getting what I'm looking for! PURTY PLEASE???
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #2044
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emita View Post
OMG Gina! You're incredible. Thank you so much for the info and being inspired enough to take it on! WOW.

The photos look EXACTLY how it did when I made that cake for my birthday 3 years ago with the original high carb recipe! I am DROOLING.

I love strawberries and strawberry flavored things, so I am so excited to have this cake again. I'm going to add the strawberry extract to the batter, too - did you think it needed any more?

You just blended your strawberries, didn't simmer or sweeten them? I assume you just mixed some sweetener with cream cheese for your cream cheese frosting?

Just noticed you kept the amount of milk powder the same as the original recipe despite reducing the water/liquid. Should it be reduced to 1/3? carb count for this might be complicated..

I'm planning on trying the A&P spanish bar cake recipe (google!) this weekend, which uses applesauce. I will be sure to let you know my results! Just gotta pick up some more cocoa and eggs first >.<
I thought there was enough strawberry flavor but you can taste and add more. I blended the strawberries and then I warmed it in the microwave to room temperature. I did add some Splenda and the extract to the strawberries before adding it to the cake mix. I added one cup of powdered swerve and 1/4 cup softened butter to 8 ounces of cream cheese and a little vanilla extract. I didn't reduce the powdered milk because I wasn't sure how much liquid I would need to use but you could cut back on it or just use a low carb milk and leave it out.

I will check out the Spanish bar recipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Gina - could you please point me at the plain white cake recipe? I've looked and searched through many pages and I'm not getting what I'm looking for! PURTY PLEASE???
Charski, I didn't use a white cake recipe, I just replaced the whole eggs in my yellow cake recipe with egg whites to make it a white cake.

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-19-2014 at 11:40 AM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #2045
Senior LCF Member

ugh I wish swerve confectioners wasn't out of stock EVERYWHERE... hope they haven't discontinued it
Old 02-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #2046
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post

Charski, I didn't use a white cake recipe, I just replaced the whole eggs in my yellow cake recipe with egg whites to make it a white cake.
OK, thanks, Ouis said you had a white cake recipe that was indiscernible from "the real thing" using her BTF mix. I'll check out the yellow cake mix recipe then!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:07 AM   #2047
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
ugh I wish swerve confectioners wasn't out of stock EVERYWHERE... hope they haven't discontinued it
This is where it's really nice to have an extra coffee grinder for things Other than coffee, so the flavors don't mix. Then you can just powder it yourself.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #2048
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
*Swoon* That looks delish!!
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #2049
Senior LCF Member

Oui, do you happen to have weights for the ingredients listed available? I have had duds due to poor measuring with LC bake mixes and prefer to use my kitchen scale when I can.

Also, what are the numbers (30) (60), etc next to a few of the ingredients? I think they are calories?
Old 03-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #2050
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
This thread has gotten so long and I've not used this mix in a while but think I'll mix up a batch this weekend. I can't use the powdered egg white and I know when I first tried this I used some egg whites I had in the fridge but I'm wondering if anybody has come up with a sub amount such as how much liquid egg white for 1 cup mix.

I did find that 1 egg white is equal to 2 tsp egg white powder plus 2 tbsp warm water but I don't know how many cups the mix makes.

Thanks for any advice.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #2051
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cookiecrumbler1
If I omit the coconut flour, would the texture change? Should I add something in its place other than almond flour? Pea protein maybe?
Also, how necessary is the glucommanan?
cookiecrumbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #2052
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Oui, do you happen to have weights for the ingredients listed available? I have had duds due to poor measuring with LC bake mixes and prefer to use my kitchen scale when I can.

Also, what are the numbers (30) (60), etc next to a few of the ingredients? I think they are calories?
I'm not sure but I think the numbers are weight in grams of the ingredients.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #2053
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
No sorry--I don't have the weights of the ingredients. Those numbers are calories.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:44 PM   #2054
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecrumbler1 View Post
If I omit the coconut flour, would the texture change? Should I add something in its place other than almond flour? Pea protein maybe?
Also, how necessary is the glucommanan?
coconut flour is the backbone of this mix, and what makes it so awesome-ly low-carb and great for baking texture! Don't omit it.

gluc is not too necessary, it can be substituted with xanthan gum or gelatin powder in equal amounts for similar results, I would think. It's a binder and helps with texture and rise. after trying both xanthan and gluc, I prefer gluc - seems to add more fluff to baked goods, and less "glue" results when added to liquid. (much more like gelatin when it comes to liquids. I have added too much xanthan to smoothies and dressings more times than I can count, with results ending up like floam or preschool paste.) Plus, fiber.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:06 AM   #2055
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
I recommend not changing anything- it is awesome as it is! Unless you have food intolerances or allergies, of course. After seeing how it works and trying a few recipes, then perhaps try to modify it to suit your needs.

I think the coconut flour (which I only like in small amounts but works very well here) is necessary and the glucommanan is the key ingredient that keeps the moistness and gives the baked good a glutenish texture.

This does work with various protein powders- kinds and flavors and also with eggwhite powder and either liquid eggwhites from a carton or from eggs. If you want to save money, use real egg whites. Don't skip out on the glucomannan, oat fiber, coconut flour and use some kind of protein powder.

Jen
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:32 PM   #2056
Junior LCF Member

Anyone come up with a "put it in your purse, grab and go" protein bar recipe with the general idea of this recipe? Doesn't necessarily have to be high fat.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #2057
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
This is where it's really nice to have an extra coffee grinder for things Other than coffee, so the flavors don't mix. Then you can just powder it yourself.
It was recommended by Jen Eloff to buy confectioners as our grinders are not powerful enough to prevent the grittiness that the homemade grinders do compared to the commercial ones....that it is better to even use powdered erithrytol , which I have had success with. Hope that helps.
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #2058
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's interesting. My Krups coffee grinder (for other things than coffee) seems to work fine for this.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #2059
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That's interesting. My Krups coffee grinder (for other things than coffee) seems to work fine for this.
They have been discontinued in Canada......they are supposedly the best , that's what my friends says.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #2060
Senior LCF Member

Accidentally posted in big batch thread T_T whoops. I've had the flue the last few days... foggy head!

the final slice of the pink lady cake!! It didn't rise much but the texture improved greatly after a day or two in the fridge. Maybe need more leavening due to living at nearly sea level. Put leftover puree into the cream cheese frosting. I think I needed to increase sweetener in the cake and decrease in the frosting.

After reading the OMM comments maybe I even added too much liquid. came out super dense. Used almond milk in place of water and dry milk - seemed to make cake gray. LOL.

SO delicious - frosting was like strawberry ice cream. for (quick estimate) like 5 net carbs a slice! ( 2x 9" layers)

Sorry for late pics - got a new camera right after baking this.

Tried Buttoni's pancake recipe the other day, 1 cup of mix seemed like it would make 50 pancakes so I did 1/2 cup with entire egg and equivalent liquids. Still too thick! I kept watering it down and added some baking soda + powder + liquid stevia but then it didn't cook very evenly.

They were dense and had a great mouthfeel but came out much more fragile than either carbquik, just coconut flour, or whey protein based pancakes I've tried before.

They fluffed up in the fridge and I reheated two and made a sausage egg and cheese pancake stacker with xylitol maple syrup (seems to have a "burny" aftertaste... shame, I don't want to rely on maltitol/sorbitol based maple syrups) lol. Delicious and super filling. Going to try Oui's pancake recipe with more fat next.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:00 PM   #2061
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chickamomminy
Stats: 248/183/148
WOE: Atkins (modified)
Been going through this thread searching for Ginaaaaaa's Yellow Cake recipe. Anyone know what the post # is? I can't find it and it's making me a little crazy. So many references to it (and how good it is) but try as I might, I can't find it! LOL
Chickamomminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:40 PM   #2062
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickamomminy View Post
Been going through this thread searching for Ginaaaaaa's Yellow Cake recipe. Anyone know what the post # is? I can't find it and it's making me a little crazy. So many references to it (and how good it is) but try as I might, I can't find it! LOL
I think you'll find it at post #1213.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #2063
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chickamomminy
Stats: 248/183/148
WOE: Atkins (modified)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
I think you'll find it at post #1213.
Thank you!!!
Chickamomminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #2064
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
I made it a couple of years ago as a berry upside down cake:

Here it is out of the oven:

CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:11 AM   #2065
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thank you!!!
It's also in post #37 in the Fantastic Flour Big Batch sticky thread near the top of the page.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #2066
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
It's also in post #37 in the Fantastic Flour Big Batch sticky thread near the top of the page.
Just to add, the nutritional information that Buttoni figured out for us is in post #13 in the same thread - which is 3.2 NC as the recipe was originally written.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:24 AM   #2067
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Just to add, the nutritional information that Buttoni figured out for us is in post #13 in the same thread - which is 3.2 NC as the recipe was originally written.
Correction - 3.2 NC as written originally for 1/4 cup of mix.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #2068
Senior LCF Member

Tweaker Greeks variation of Gina's pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Gina - when I made your first pizza crust I added an additional 1/4 cup of flour mix made with almond flour - so more mix or less liquid, up to you. If I use a recipe that's written with the coconut version I just make it as written and add the almond flour version till I get the consistency that I want.
Hi tweaker, I just made this and it and out very tasty, I could not stop eating it. But I really need to know if you added all of Gina's ingredients, like the Parmesan cheese and others with the exception of oregano for the basil.
Thanks.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #2069
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Majomor - Was there any more to my post? I'm asking because I don't put any parm in the crust, I use it on top. I do sometimes add a few spices to the crust, garlic powder, onion powder and oregano or Italian seasoning.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #2070
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaarren
Stats: 204/191/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8-22-08
My gosh this sounds so great
Kaarren is offline   Reply With Quote