Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #1951
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Baked goods can taste too eggy for me- not necessarily the BTF recipes, just in general low carb baking. I've been using the Deb El egg white powder but I think I'll try egg white protein powder in place of it next. I'm not sure what the difference is other than price.

I currently use 1/2 pea protein & 1/2 whey protein isolate, either unflavored or vanilla. Ends up being the same amount called for in the original recipe.

I made Rosethorn's BTF pie crust and while it soaked up a bit more oil and cold water than called for before it'd make a dough, it did make 2 pie crusts that baked up nicely and tasted great! I like! My key lime pie filling needs work though!!!

Jen
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2013, 05:22 AM   #1952
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 1, 2013
I only used one egg when I made the half-recipe of Gina's yellow cake. I made the BTF mix with coconut flour and got a bit nervous when I added the one cup of liquid (I used almond milk). The mix was super thin even after I used my hand-held mixer for the full 2 minutes of mixing. So I got out my stick blender and that really did the trick to thicken it up a bit. It was much more like cake batter when I poured it over the frozen berries.

The next cake I was thinking of trying doesn't call for any liquid at all, but uses 4 stiffly beaten egg whites. Starting to think that may be beyond my expertise, though. I don't think we'd like it if it comes out 'eggy'. Fresh egg whites wouldn't be considered a 'liquid', would they?
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #1953
Senior LCF Member

This was a delightful light summer dessert for 3: Berry Fruit Tart

I made a vanilla cake with 1/2 cup of the BTF mix and added a squirt of vanilla. 6 pkts Truvia and 6 drops of vanilla stevia I added water until it was a slightly thick cake batter consistency and spread it thinly and evenly over a large dinner plate. I microwaved it for 2 1/2 or 3 minutes, rotating twice. I had to cut the middle out, put it on a plate and microwave it a minute and then re-insert it because it was flat and obviously not baked but that actually worked fine.

Meanwhile, I took half a bar of cream cheese and put it in a bowl and microwaved it until very easily stirred. I then added a dash of vanilla, blueberry and huckleberry sf DaVinci syrups, a dash of Walden Farms strawberry syrup, a T of powdered erythritol and a tiny sprinkle of guar gum to thicken it a bit. I stirred it up well and stuck it in the fridge for 10 minutes.

While waiting, I diced up 6 large strawberries and stirred a packet of Truvia into them.

I spread the cream cheese filling on top of the flat cake-on-a-plate then sprinkled the strawberries on top. Serve immediately. Delicious!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #1954
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
This was a delightful light summer dessert for 3: Berry Fruit Tart

I made a vanilla cake with 1/2 cup of the BTF mix and added a squirt of vanilla. 6 pkts Truvia and 6 drops of vanilla stevia I added water until it was a slightly thick cake batter consistency and spread it thinly and evenly over a large dinner plate. I microwaved it for 2 1/2 or 3 minutes, rotating twice. I had to cut the middle out, put it on a plate and microwave it a minute and then re-insert it because it was flat and obviously not baked but that actually worked fine.

Meanwhile, I took half a bar of cream cheese and put it in a bowl and microwaved it until very easily stirred. I then added a dash of vanilla, blueberry and huckleberry sf DaVinci syrups, a dash of Walden Farms strawberry syrup, a T of powdered erythritol and a tiny sprinkle of guar gum to thicken it a bit. I stirred it up well and stuck it in the fridge for 10 minutes.

While waiting, I diced up 6 large strawberries and stirred a packet of Truvia into them.

I spread the cream cheese filling on top of the flat cake-on-a-plate then sprinkled the strawberries on top. Serve immediately. Delicious!
Oh, Jen This sounds amazing. My housemate has a birthday coming up and loves fruit. I'm adding this to a list of things I'm considering making. Thanks

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #1955
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
I used the BTF to fry chicken and it did great!
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #1956
Senior LCF Member

Yay, Grammy G! I'll have to try that once I get some mixed up without that sweet pea protein I've been using. I have to say, though, I'm getting a little addicted to baking it with the pork rinds lol.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #1957
Senior LCF Member

Beth.. I used to love Jay Robb's protein powder but it's so expensive. They also changed the recipe and I didn't like it was well as I did the first recipe. I used the egg white protein powder. I don't care for the pea protein taste at all. My husband doesn't mind it in his shakes so I'll use it up that way. I'm going to switch to using the powdered egg whites and see how it tastes in the BTF mix.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #1958
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I made this chicken parm last night using BTF to dredge the chicken before sauteeing. The crust was very crunchy and it came out delicious!

Diana’s Chicken Parmesan
Makes 4 servings

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (4-6 oz each)
½ cup buttermilk

½ cup Better Than Flour mix
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 Tbsp dried Italian seasoning
2-3 Tbsp olive oil

½-1 cup grated Parmesan or Italian cheese mix
1 cup marinara or your favorite no-sugar tomato sauce (TJ’s is my favorite)

Beat the chicken breasts between sheets of wax paper or plastic until they are a uniform thickness, or use a Jaccard to tenderize.

Place in a zip-loc bag along with the buttermilk and let marinate for 2-4 hours. Any length of time will do, but the buttermilk will tenderize the chicken the longer it is left.

Drain the chicken breasts lightly, allowing a film of the buttermilk to remain.

Mix the flour and seasonings in a plastic bag and shake the breasts to coat well. Place the floured chicken on a rack to dry while heating the olive oil.

Heat the olive oil until it shimmers, and sauté the breasts until golden brown on each side. This will take about 4-5 minutes per side.

Remove the chicken to a plate when the internal temperature reaches 145o and cover lightly with foil to keep warm.

Pour the tomato sauce into the pan, and stir to incorporate all of the brown bits from the chicken.

Place the chicken pieces down in the sauce, leaving some of the browned surface above the sauce.

Sprinkle cheese on each piece and place under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

Serve over lightly sautéed zoodles for a fancy touch!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #1959
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
Egg white protein powder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy G View Post
Diana... I've used pea protein in the BTF mix straight across. I don't think I'll buy it again. I just don't care for the taste. But, I'm determined to use it up. I looked at my egg white powder and (if I read it right) the protein is equal to the pea protein. Next time I make the BTF I plan on using the egg white powder in place of the protein powder.

Has anyone tried this and did they like it?
Hi, I have the vanilla egg white protein powder from jay Robb....and because I paid so much for it, I use it exclusively in my BTF mix and it is great.
I also find the egg white "powder" expensive here in Canada up to almost $9 a can!!! So I use Albumen ( which is egg white powder with a little bit of yeast in it....it does not bother my family).
Sometimes, I just add the equivalent raw egg white into the cakes.
majomor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #1960
Senior LCF Member

Egg white powder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
Baked goods can taste too eggy for me- not necessarily the BTF recipes, just in general low carb baking. I've been using the Deb El egg white powder but I think I'll try egg white protein powder in place of it next. I'm not sure what the difference is other than price.

I currently use 1/2 pea protein & 1/2 whey protein isolate, either unflavored or vanilla. Ends up being the same amount called for in the original recipe.

I made Rosethorn's BTF pie crust and while it soaked up a bit more oil and cold water than called for before it'd make a dough, it did make 2 pie crusts that baked up nicely and tasted great! I like! My key lime pie filling needs work though!!!
I have been using the Albumen - contains a small amount of bakers yeast- then sometimes I just add raw egg white.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #1961
Major LCF Poster!

I just made pancakes using BTF, with a pinch of baking soda, half an egg, a glug of oil, and enough buttermilk to thin (took quite a bit with 1/3 cup of BTF mix).

I had a hard time getting them done in the middle, even cooking for a very long time. They looked dry on top before I turned them, and they were quite beautiful, but they were still mushy in the center. Any suggestions?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #1962
Senior LCF Member

dianafoot... maybe use half water instead of buttermilk so the batter is not so thick?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #1963
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I suspect that you need an addition that provides a little more structure. I often add a tablespoon or two of wheat bran to pancakes, because I find that it stands up better to the heat. I also agree with Grammy G that you may need to make the batter a little thinner. Let us know what you try! I have used Bob's Red Mill lowcarb baking mix before for pancakes. It does have soy in it, but no real soy taste. It is a little carbier than some of our LCF mixes, but makes great pancakes.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #1964
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Sometimes I cook the pancakes in a covered pan, if I am having trouble getting them to cook through.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #1965
Major LCF Poster!

thanks, y'all! I will try with water and a bit of something else. I was thinking even a spoonful of oat flour might help even though it would add a few carbs. I love the BTF and use it often!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #1966
Senior LCF Member

I had a weird experience... I made an *absolutely delicious* lemon-cranberry cake with lemon glaze (the way I cut them and how they looked and tasted made me think of Lemon Zingers!)... but the inside turned a sort of blue-green color. Huh?!!! Haha. Maybe one of you knows what set off some sort of chemical reaction?

Lemon Cranberry Cake with Lemon Glaze
Serves about 8

Cake batter:

1/4 cup BTF
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup almond flour
1 T flax meal
1/2 cup Swerve
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 T sf lemon DaVinci syrup (or orange)
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar free cranberry sauce (1 bag cranberries, 1 cup equivalent sweetener, 1/4 cup sf orange DaVinci syrup, 3/4 cup water... simmer 10 minutes)

Mix everything together. Bake in an 8×8 greased dish at 350 for 30 minutes.

Glaze (mix together once cake is in oven and spread over cooled cake. Will dry nicely after about an hour in fridge then I sliced into pieces, wrapped, bagged and froze them.):

3/4 cup powdered Swerve
1 T fresh lemon juice
1 T sf lemon DaVinci syrup (or more lemon juice)
2 T sf Vanilla DaVinci
a few pinches guar or xanthan gum to thicken
Old 07-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #1967
Major LCF Poster!

funny, I was just reading about this yesterday in Shirley Corriher's book, Cookwise. The baking soda in your batter creates an alkaline environment and turns cherries and other berries (including cranberries) blue and leaches that blue color out into the batter.

She suggests adding lemon juice, sour cream, buttermilk, or another acid to the batter to keep the red berries their natural color and to prevent this blue discoloration. Since you had lemon juice in the batter already, maybe it just needed a little more acid--buttermilk or sour cream for some of the cream maybe?

Last edited by dianafoot; 07-09-2013 at 05:47 AM..
Old 07-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #1968
Senior LCF Member

Thanks!!
Old 07-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #1969
Major LCF Poster!

I added a couple of teaspoons of oat flour to 3 TBS of the BTF and used only a small amount of buttermilk (1/4 cup) and thinned the batter with water. This was much better--they got done nicely in the center and were tender, yet slightly crispy around the edges.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #1970
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
yum! want!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #1971
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 51 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post

I added a couple of teaspoons of oat flour to 3 TBS of the BTF and used only a small amount of buttermilk (1/4 cup) and thinned the batter with water. This was much better--they got done nicely in the center and were tender, yet slightly crispy around the edges.
Oat flour or oat fiber?
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #1972
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
Oat flour or oat fiber?
I added oat flour to these to make them more like high carb pancakes. The mix already has oat fiber in it. The oat flour adds some carbs, so you would need to figure in 2 tsp of oat flour to calculate the carbs correctly.

Last edited by dianafoot; 07-11-2013 at 07:31 PM..
Old 07-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #1973
Senior LCF Member

I think I put a small amount of oat flour in Gina's yellow cake when I made it. Whole Foods sells it in their bins and I picked up a wee bit to have on hand *just in case*.

Did I ever mention how good that cake is? I dream about it lol. I did have major portion controls, so next time will make cupcakes and try to freeze some.

Last edited by Beth2013; 07-12-2013 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: Hit send button by accident lol.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #1974
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Diana - I tried your pancake recipe today. I made it exactly as you have it written and I still could not get the pancakes to cook through. They looked good when cooked but when I cut them open they were still raw. I think I'm just giving up on using this flour mix for pancakes, I'm disappointed because everyone's pancakes that they've posted look so good, but I'm not having any luck with these.

I have a few other low carb pancake recipes that I use, guess I'll just stick with those. I liked the idea of this so that I could just make one serving at a time.

I have been telling myself often that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #1975
Senior LCF Member

Tweaker Geek... I wondered if you have a favorite pancake recipe you could share?
Old 07-14-2013, 11:06 PM   #1976
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Diana - I tried your pancake recipe today. I made it exactly as you have it written and I still could not get the pancakes to cook through. They looked good when cooked but when I cut them open they were still raw. I think I'm just giving up on using this flour mix for pancakes, I'm disappointed because everyone's pancakes that they've posted look so good, but I'm not having any luck with these.

I have a few other low carb pancake recipes that I use, guess I'll just stick with those. I liked the idea of this so that I could just make one serving at a time.
All I can say Tweaker is that in cooking "high" carb pancakes that is very common......I have gotten around that by making my batter way moreliquidy.
That way, it is almost similar to a crepe but not as skinny, but the heat fom the pan seems to be distributed more efficient . food for thought!
I have to try this recipe soon.....just that I seem to always fall back on my goto of 2-3 hard boiled eggs(yolks) only with coconut oil and som mustard.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #1977
Senior LCF Member

I thought Soobee had a good tip on covering the pan the pancakes are in. Things seem to always cook more thoroughly in a covered pan.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #1978
Senior LCF Member

Last night the judges were raving about a contestant's cheesecake crust on Next Food Network Star. I looked up the recipe and she used Vanilla Wafers! Plus some butter, pecans, etc.

I'm thinking of using the recipe and subbing Ouizoid's cookies in place of the vanilla wafers:

Quote:
Sugar Cookies-ouizoid

A Particularly Delightful Cookie!

I creamed together 2 TBS MCT oil (any oil would do no doubt) 1/4 cup erythritol (my brown sugar knock-off) and 2 Tbs sour cream with 1/4 cup of my mix. dropped rounded spoonfuls on parchment and baked at 350 for 10-12 minutes--brown and crispy on the bottom, cakey in the middle and really so like high carb snickerdoodles!! Delish!

Last edited by Beth2013; 07-15-2013 at 01:04 PM..
Old 07-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #1979
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
This is for Seeking who I will lead over here from the other thread:

Seeking, I know there were various discussions on leaving this or that ingredient out, whether it was allergies of taste preferences. This is from post #11 in the big batch thread, not sure where it is in all this threads pages though:
--------------
"RVcook: Well I finally got the ingredients to try this mix and have finally found one that suits my taste...(which I guess is pretty picky since it took several attempts)...lol.

The coconut taste in the first batch was too much so in the 2nd batch, I added garlic and onion powder...but then I just had coconut/garlic bread....

For the 3rd batch, I left in the onion and garlic, but used 1 TB almond AND 1 TB coconut. That helped the flavor, but evidently coconut and I just don't agree on how 'savory' applications should taste.

So for the 4th batch, I completely eliminated the coconut flour (as well as the onion and garlic powder), subbed UNFLAVORED whey isolate, and just used 2 TB almond flour as well as adding 1 TB of parmesan cheese and that was definitely the "magic". I guess all I can say is WOW! So I made up a big batch of the basic mix for the freezer, and I use 1/3 cup of the mix to about 1/3 cup of Carolyn's milk, mix it up in a 4" square (22 oz.) Corningware mini-casserole dish and nuke it in my 1000 watt micro for about 1 min 55 secs. until dry on top. PERFECT!

With these changes, the nutrition for the entire recipe (without milk) is:
Cals: 151
Pro: 14.55g
Fat: 8.43g
Carb: 12.25g
Fiber: 9.5g
NET Carbs: 2.75g

I'm thinking that I could use less because this makes a large amount so maybe 1/4 and 1/4 would work better, but the cook time would have to be adjusted.

I LOVE the coconut version for sweet versions like muffins, quick-type breads and cakes

I have to say, this is about as close to the taste and texture of real 'white' bread but it's gluten-free (bonus!) and does not have an off taste.

Vilya: I use the original recipe from page 1, with just the following changes:

-- unflavored whey, instead of vanilla
-- add 1 Tbsp. of cocoa powder (I use Hershey's Special Dark)

I find that vanilla whey tends to overpower everything else, so I've started using unflavored almost exclusively. Ditto with DaVinci syrup. I only use the unflavored DaVinci in this recipe now.

RVcook: 1/4 cup mix and 1/4 cup milk works really well for a single serving."

I don't see why you couldn't leave the coconut flour out.

Last edited by watcher513; 07-15-2013 at 06:25 PM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #1980
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy G View Post
Tweaker Geek... I wondered if you have a favorite pancake recipe you could share?
Grammy G - one of the ones I like a lot is Betty R's Amazing Waffles recipe made as pancakes, you can do a search and that should pop right up.

Another recipe I make with Carbquik - McGriddles style:
1/4 cup C-Q
1/4 cup golden flax meal
1 pkt Stevia plus or other sweetener
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
3 tsp. melted butter
1/4 cup Hood milk (add slowly for desired consistency)

Mix together and fry as pancakes

Another really good one is from Lauren - Healthy Low Carb Pancakes:
Healthy Low Carb Pancakes

Makes 2 medium flapjacks. Serves 1.

Ingredients:
1.5 tablespoons organic heavy cream OR 2 tablespoons coconut milk
1 large egg
3.5 tablespoons water (use only three if using coconut milk)
1/4 cup sifted oat flour (made from GF oats)
2 tablespoons sifted coconut flour
1/4 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon NuNaturals pure stevia extract OR 2 tablespoons sugar-free sweetener

Preparation:
Heat a nonstick pan (yes, I use nonstick and refuse to apologize) to medium heat, or until a drop of water sizzles and “dances” around the skillet. You don’t have to grease it. When measuring oat or coconut flour, sift a bit of it (or whisk it until the lumps are broken up), and lightly spoon the amount called for into a tablespoon or quarter cup measure. Level off with a knife. Whisk together egg and cream, and add dry ingredients. Whisk batter very well until there are no longer lumps. Let it sit for a minute or two to thicken up. Pour or scrape batter on to skillet, and cook until bubbles appear on surface of pancake. Flip and cook other side for about 30 seconds. Serve with butter and sugar-free maple syrup, or a bit of honey, if desired.

~12g net carbs per serving

When I'm in a hurry and don't want to bother with a recipe I use Big Train pancake mix.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote