Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #1861
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
So I made yeast bread last night. My favorite use of yeast bread dough is to roll it into circles, slather with oil and fry in a skillet. Makes a pita bread, naan bread, thick tortilla sort of bread. So I tried that.

This is the recipe I made up (be sure to read my notes at end):

Low Carb BTF Skillet Bread Experiment #1

1 T yeast
1/3 bottle low carb 12 oz beer (warm slightly until neither cool nor warm to touch- I used Corona Light)
1 t sugar

3/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup flax meal
5 T oat fiber
4 T coconut flour
3 T pea protein powder
2 T unflavored whey protein isolate
3 T egg white powder
1 3/4 t glucomannan
2 t baking powder
1 heaping t salt

remaining beer
Pam

oil for frying

Dissolve yeast in small bowl with 1/3 bottle of warm beer and sugar. Let sit for 15 minutes until water is frothy. **Worked Wonderfully** Do next step while waiting.

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. When the yeast time is up, pour yeast and remaining beer into dry ingredients and stir until a batter forms. Stir batter completely. Smooth the top flat, spray with a little Pam type spray and cover with Plastic wrap. Allow to sit in a warm place for about an hour (my 80 degree garage took 45 minutes).

Oil skillet lightly. Place a scoop of the dough onto skillet. Use a piece of lightly oiled parchment paper and a spatula to press the dough into a flat circle. Turn on heat to med-high and cook until both sides have golden markings. Make 8 tortilla sized rounds.

NOTES:

The batter thickened (not to the point of regular dough though) and rose beautifully! The yeast flavor was too strong but the amount of yeast used was perfect- so I think the beer is unnecessary. The skillet bread style of cooking is not the best method for this recipe. (I highly suspect that adding 1/2 to 1 cup of gluten to this recipe would make this absolutely perfect but I am trying to avoid creating recipes dependent on it.) The bread rounds were too easily broken and we couldn't fold them around our sausage links... they broke apart down the middle.

HOWEVER, the batter/dough worked great so I also highly suspect that exchanging the beer for water and doing the rising in 2 loaf pans (or whoopie pans for rolls) & baking in the oven would yield a proper yeast bread.

So what I made was edible but I wouldn't do it again- yet what I learned was highly useful.

Jen
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #1862
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Jen did what type of yeast did you use? I have one for a bread maker, one rapid rise, etc.
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #1863
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post

NOTES:

The batter thickened (not to the point of regular dough though) and rose beautifully! The yeast flavor was too strong but the amount of yeast used was perfect- so I think the beer is unnecessary. The skillet bread style of cooking is not the best method for this recipe. (I highly suspect that adding 1/2 to 1 cup of gluten to this recipe would make this absolutely perfect but I am trying to avoid creating recipes dependent on it.) The bread rounds were too easily broken and we couldn't fold them around our sausage links... they broke apart down the middle.

HOWEVER, the batter/dough worked great so I also highly suspect that exchanging the beer for water and doing the rising in 2 loaf pans (or whoopie pans for rolls) & baking in the oven would yield a proper yeast bread.

So what I made was edible but I wouldn't do it again- yet what I learned was highly useful.
Thank you so much for posting. I am wondering if the dough would have been more elasticy if there was some fat in it? Even olive oil? With the oat fiber and coconut flour being so dry, maybe fat would change the structure.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #1864
Senior LCF Member

I used normal active dry yeast- not bread maker or rapid rise.

I did not put fat in it because my original recipe didn't have any and I fried in in fat... but I do think I would put some fat in an oven baked recipe. The bread itself wasn't dry tasting at all- it just didn't hold together well.

Last edited by JHoberer; 05-06-2013 at 11:22 AM..
Old 05-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #1865
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
So I made yeast bread last night. My favorite use of yeast bread dough is to roll it into circles, slather with oil and fry in a skillet. Makes a pita bread, naan bread, thick tortilla sort of bread. So I tried that.

see her post above ↑.
Thanks so much for experimenting, and sharing with us!! I really appreciate it.

I have never been good at making bread, although I did get pretty good at making my tweaked version of Kevin's #4 bread. But even then, sometimes it just didn't turn out right. Don't know enough about bread making to do a lot of experimenting on my own (at least yet!). I love learning for those who do!!

Glad it was edible, and not wasted ingredients!!! (And good tho not really what you wanted.)
I too am trying to stay away from gluten at least right now.

I dropped down & read your notes before I read the recipe. I was about to say I wondered how the addition of Glucc pwd would do, but read the recipe before I posted. Which is a good thing, cause you DID use glucc!!
I forgot which thread I was in too. And started to ask where the lupin was at. I have got to start paying more attention!!! But I've had a headache this morning, and really not thinking all that well. (I can use that as an excuse can't I?)
That being said, I wonder how replacing some of the coconut flour with Lupin would work? Ouiz has been replacing some of all of it with lupin in some things recently with good success.

Hmmmmm,,,,,, I wonder if I dare???? But I still don't have pea protein. Wonder how using all whey would do? Ia have everything else. (won't be using the beer.)
Maybe making half the recipe, and baking in a smaller bread pan??? Hmmm,,,, I dunno!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:51 PM   #1866
Senior LCF Member

*** BLOWN AWAY ***

This is CAKE. Not kind of or close to or an approximation of... the. real. thing. When you get it right it's MAGIC!!!

We are in the middle of having a new air conditioner put in and right now we are rather warm so I drug out the ole GT Express to cook them in. This recipe made exactly one GT Express batch (2 huge pieces that I cut in half so 4 servings). I am sure any flavor would work but I happened to do banana. I either cooked it for 7 minutes or 10 minutes... I can't remember because we made something else in the GT Express too... lol. I heavily oiled the machine and they easily came out.

Banana (or any flavor) "And the Gods Sang" Cake
4 servings

2 T oat fiber
2 T coconut flour (I used Coconut Secret)
1 T Vanilla Protein Powder (I used Jay Robb)
1 t egg white powder (I used Deb El)
2 T flax meal (I used Bob's Red Mill Golden)
4 T almond flour (I used nuts.com)
1 egg
1 t baking powder
1/2 t glucomannan (I used Konjac)
2 T Truvia
12 drops EZ-Sweetz
3 T heavy cream
1/2 cup water
2 T Banana Sugar Free DaVinci syrup (or flavor/extract of your choice)
oil or nonstick spray

I mixed it together, plopped it in the oiled GT Express and the Gods sang. My husband heard them too.

I put this all into M F P and got these stats (I count .2 carbs per gram of Truvia)
144 calories, 8.4 carbs, 6 g fiber (2.4 net carbs), 12 g fat, 7 g protein

The 2nd piece I topped with a frosting made from sweetened cream cheese and more sugar free DaVinci syrup. *THUD*

I forgot to take a picture. Tomorrow! I am going to try the new emulsion I got in the mail today!

Last edited by JHoberer; 05-08-2013 at 12:45 AM..
Old 05-07-2013, 11:59 PM   #1867
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
I don't own a GT Express. What size pan do you think you could bake this in and at what temp? sounds yummy!
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #1868
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Can't wait to see the pic. Sure sounds good.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #1869
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
jen! Cake is good! Yay for you
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #1870
Senior LCF Member

4 muffins/cupcakes in the oven or 4 mugs/bowls in the microwave would probably work.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #1871
Senior LCF Member

I made another batch of cake, this time with a t of buttery dough emulsion (love it!) instead of the 2 T Banana DaVinci. The emulsion is really thick and since it was only a t, next time I will add 2 T of liquid to compensate. It really made a difference in density and extended the cooking time. I might try also adding 2 T vanilla DaVinci.

So I filled half the GT Xpress with that then added 2 melted squares (1 oz ) of Ghiradelli 100% chocolate, 6 more drops of EZ-Sweetz and 12 drops vanilla stevia and made the other half of the batch chocolate cake. Hmmm.

I really think these are better after they've chilled in the fridge awhile. Hot was good- but I think the chocolate flavor will be improved tomorrow. It was more like hot cocoa flavored than deep chocolate. Also, I think the secret to this BTF flour might just be to make the batter or dough 1 notch (so scientific!) more liquidy than it's high carb counterpart.

The pics are on my husband's phone so I'll get them up soon!

I'll try making these in a bigger batch and also in the oven in a few weeks. Air conditioner will be put in next week but then I'm going out of town to visit the grandparents with the kiddos. I also want to try this exact combo of dry ingredients and 1 egg with vanilla extract, a wee bit of molasses for brown sugar flavor and cream it into a dough with lots of butter for cookies. And chocolate chips. I'll have to test the dough for sweetness.

Last edited by JHoberer; 05-09-2013 at 12:49 AM..
Old 05-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #1872
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Really enjoying your experiments!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #1873
Senior LCF Member

**TWICE as good if you chill them for a day!! Do yourself a favor and wait!**

In the GT Xpress:

I should have used a knife instead of the mini spatula to cut them in half... but you get the idea. This batch was a tad denser than the first (see earlier post if you missed why).

Old 05-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #1874
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarenL
Stats: 125/121/110
WOE: HFLC GF SF
Start Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
My 2nd BTF experience-
cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing
5 bigguns

dough-
3X batch sweet vanilla version of BTF (I used Jay Robb Vanilla Whey Protein Isolate)
3 T Sensato erythritol
14 drops EZ-Sweetz (can get at Walmart now as well as Netrition)
2 droppers vanilla stevia
2 t vanilla extract
1/4 cup SF Vanilla Torani syrup
1 cup water

Cinnamon mixture-
4 T butter, melted
2 T Penzey's China cinnamon (ADORE it, and yes, 2 TABLESPOONS)
2 T erythritol
10 drops EZ-Sweetz
pinch salt

Icing-
4 oz cream cheese, very soft
22 drops EZ-Sweetz
1 T Vanilla SF Torani

Mixed up dough and it sat for 10 minutes. Then I mixed up the cinnamon mixture. I used half the dough in the bottom of 5 bowls, topped with half the cinnamon mixture, topped with the other half of the dough then the other half of the cinnamon. Microwave each separately for 2 minutes, turn and 30 seconds more.

Mix icing ingredients together. Top each "roll in a bowl" with 1/5 of the cream cheese icing mixture. Serve warm.

Notes: I baked the first 3 minutes and the 2nd 2 minutes, 45 seconds. I ran out of paper bowls so the kids had "flatties" on plates and I microwaved those 2 minutes exactly. I'm guessing 2 1/2 minutes is perfect for a bowl. These were a bit denser than expected- I expected cinnamon CAKE and got cinnamon ROLL. LOL. I need to try adding more liquid to the dough and making it more of a batter, using less coconut flour in my BTF or more leavening or possibly just less baking time. Taste was *AWESOME*. Will do this again!

Pics soon.
OMG JEN!!! I tried this exact method with the following changes after reading your notes: I used 1/2 cup plus 1 tbs of BTF mix. I halved all the rest of the ingredients - since I was making a smaller batch. I wisked 2 egg whites and added to liquid ingredients to give extra rise. It made enuf for 3 medium sized cinnamon rolls. I baked in brulee cups at 400 degrees for 20 mins (because im microphobic). It was PERFECT!!!!!

Last edited by CarenL; 05-10-2013 at 08:25 AM..
CarenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #1875
Senior LCF Member

YAY!!!!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #1876
Senior LCF Member

ok, so now i'm thinking about adding pecans to the cinnamon roll recipe. Also, instead of a layer of cinnamon sauce on top, im going to put it all in the middle and swirl it! i think with baking in the oven the cinnamon needs to be "protected" in the batter.

in case you cant tell, this is my new favorite low carb breakfast item!!!
Old 05-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #1877
Senior LCF Member

Ours is dessert... my favorite breakfast is my cold cereal with almond milk. <3

Made cinnamon cake today- the cinnamon roll was better. Also made a mix of BTF and Super Simple biscuits and made white sausage gravy for on top of them, YUM!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:24 AM   #1878
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Magnamater... I'm not the only one who puts "unflavored" mozzarella cheese in things! I just this minute finished dehydrating low carb coconut cranberry walnut breakfast cereal... which has 3 shredded zucchini & 4 cups mozzarella hidden in it! It's wonderful... like granola clusters but they taste a lot like flavored raisin bran. We mix these with toasted Vanilla Torani & coconut oil marinated coconut flakes... which largly resemble flavored corn flakes and walnut bits in our bowls. We eat dry or with almond milk.

Tastes nothing like zucchini or cheese and everything like a great cereal.

Cheese will be tried very soon. That may just be the answer!!
would love this recipe
Old 05-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #1879
Senior LCF Member

Coconut Cranberry Walnut breakfast cereal (the kind with milk)- bumped it for you

I'm making strawberry next!
Old 05-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #1880
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenL View Post
ok, so now i'm thinking about adding pecans to the cinnamon roll recipe. Also, instead of a layer of cinnamon sauce on top, im going to put it all in the middle and swirl it! i think with baking in the oven the cinnamon needs to be "protected" in the batter.

in case you cant tell, this is my new favorite low carb breakfast item!!!
Could you post the link to your cinnamon roll recipe please!
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:30 AM   #1881
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Yaz, I believe it's post 1848 in this thread, one page back.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #1882
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Thanks Terry!
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #1883
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
I just made this biscuit and it was a huge success. I made biscuits and gravy for hubby. I used a packet of gravy (5 carbs per serving) and made sausage on the side. Next time I'll put sausage in the gravy. I used coconut milk instead of buttermilk because I can't tolerate dairy and it turned out great. Thank you so much!
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #1884
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Help with hamburger bun with BTF

I've mastered quite a few recipes, but has anyone made a successful hamburger bun that would stand up to a 1/3 pounder? Fluffy would be nice. . .

As I've mastered biscuits, too crumbly and heavy, and the OMM, nice high fluffy rise, knd of fragile, I don't know where to start. . .

Janie

Last edited by magnamater; 05-17-2013 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: Spelling. . .
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #1885
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Can someone point me to a really good intensely chocolate cake recipe made with this flour? I would like one I can make in the oven and maybe make a small batch instead of a whole cake.

Last edited by dianafoot; 05-17-2013 at 02:23 PM..
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:58 AM   #1886
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What about this one of Gina's in the other thread (big batch). 2nd page, post 49, #38 Homemade Chocolate Cake - http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...recipes-2.html

Last edited by watcher513; 05-18-2013 at 02:59 AM..
Old 05-18-2013, 04:54 AM   #1887
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
What about this one of Gina's in the other thread (big batch). 2nd page, post 49, #38 Homemade Chocolate Cake - http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...recipes-2.html
Thank you! That is exactly what I'm looking for. Will make this today and post pictures if it turns out.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #1888
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
I've mastered quite a few recipes, but has anyone made a successful hamburger bun that would stand up to a 1/3 pounder? Fluffy would be nice. . .

As I've mastered biscuits, too crumbly and heavy, and the OMM, nice high fluffy rise, knd of fragile, I don't know where to start. . .

Janie
This bake mix is great for baked goods but for a roll I prefer Marias Healthified subs...just google and you can get the recipe...it works best as a roll or bun...the bread sometimes will get an air bubble. These are very sturdy.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:52 AM   #1889
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
Thank you! That is exactly what I'm looking for. Will make this today and post pictures if it turns out.

Can't wait to see it!
Old 05-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #1890
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I really wanted pizza a few days ago and was going to make Nancy Elle's cheese crust but I really wanted a "crust" crust. So I made with the BTF mix made with almond flour and unflavored protein powder. Here's a few pics, it was delish I must say!

I pre-baked the crust:

Toppings on before baking:

Baked:

This last one shows the texture and thickness of crust:
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote