Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #1801
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarenL
Stats: 125/121/110
WOE: HFLC GF SF
Start Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
I did use 1/3 cup BTF and about 2 tbs grated cheddar. The only quantity I can't guess at is the HWC, because I drizzled it in a little at a time, starting with about 1/4 cup and stirring briefly each time. I would let it rest a few seconds, then add a little more when the dough stiffened up. It was like a drop biscuit dough consistency, much thicker than cake batter, but not as stiff as cookie dough or regular biscuit dough (they were too soft to be rolled, for example). I had to spoon them into the rings and then run a knife across the top to smooth them out a little.

I have tried the drop biscuit method, but I wanted the biscuits to rise higher. What I actually used was a set of graduated biscuit or cookie cutters, and used two of the sizes that I wanted my biscuits to be. I got them on Amazon for only 3 or 4 dollars. They are just rings that are about 1" high. And yes, I sprayed them and the pan with cooking spray.

As for cooking them, I think mine were not soggy in the center because I accidentally let them go for 25 minutes. I was sure they'd be very dried out, but somehow they weren't. Hope that wasn't just luck, because I definitely want them again!
Thanks! Been nibling on these flat bisquits all day!! So buttery delicious. I can't wait to have one that looks like a bisquit too!
CarenL is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #1802
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Tuna or canned chicken cans make great biscuit rings and cookie cutters. Just cut the bottoms out too. Been using them for years this way. I just grease them a tad. And they're FREE!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #1803
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Tuna or canned chicken cans make great biscuit rings and cookie cutters. Just cut the bottoms out too. Been using them for years this way. I just grease them a tad. And they're FREE!
Me too Peggy!!!! But they are getting harder to find with the bottoms that can be opened as well. Most now have the rounded/molded bottoms.
I do do have some tho that I've had for years!
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #1804
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great minds. I also used to bake things like steamed date-nut bread in greased tin cans. Then when they were done and cooled, I'd open the bottom with a can opener and use the bottom metal piece to "push the cake" up to the top 1/2" at a time, for easy slicing. Those cakes made GREAT little Christmas gifts at the office and such. But I don't want to hijack this thread talking about my bizarre pan creations.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #1805
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
GREAT idea!! The little chopped green chili cans will work perfectly for this!
Thank you!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #1806
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Quote:
We are definitely from the same era! I have used tuna cans, coffee cans, etc. for all of my adult years. Right now I am working with 40+ 4th and 5th graders to discover how we can "re purpose" common household items. They are not familiar with how to reuse stuff at all. It is all use once and then throw away now. I have to laugh at how my mother washed paper towels and hung them over the kitchen spout to dry...
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #1807
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
We are definitely from the same era! I have used tuna cans, coffee cans, etc. for all of my adult years. Right now I am working with 40+ 4th and 5th graders to discover how we can "re purpose" common household items. They are not familiar with how to reuse stuff at all. It is all use once and then throw away now. I have to laugh at how my mother washed paper towels and hung them over the kitchen spout to dry...
My DH gave one of our favorite neighbors some of his delicious smoked bbq wrapped in aluminum foil.
As a courtesy, she washed, dried, rolled and returned the aluminum foil.

JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #1808
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
My grandma used to do that Judy!
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #1809
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Are we worried about the BPA in the cans for this process?
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:03 AM   #1810
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
What a thread!!!

My ingredients ought to arrive on Thursday- I can't wait! I ordered the pea protein powder and I was also able to get a cup or so of unflavored unsweetened whey protein isolate from the bulk food section of my Sprouts store... It was 1/4 of a lb @ 12.99 a lb so a good amount to compare the two. Watch out for the bulk coconut flour though- it listed waaayyy higher carbs than my canister!

Has anyone tried stuffing? Gingerbread?

Also there is a biscuit that uses both baking powder and yeast... angel biscuits I think they are called? I think I'd like to try it too, using the yeast just for flavor, not for leavening. Or maybe beer bread with a LC beer for that yeast flavor?

And a dump cake style recipe where the pie filling is on bottom (blueberries cooked in a little DaVinci's blueberry syrup and thickened with a little xanthan or guar gum is great) then the dry cake mix is put on top of that followed by a stick or two of melted butter and baked.

And an italian pull-apart bread with biscuit balls rolled in italian seasonings, garlic, butter and chopped pepperoni, salami and cheeses.

Jalapeno poppers... perhaps pre-roasting the de-seeded jalapenos since the mix fries so quickly.

I'm in trouble.

Jen
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:46 AM   #1811

Those are some great ideas Jen! I think you might just create another cooking frenzy, in my kitchen anyway, for sure!
Old 04-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #1812
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Oh my, I have always loved beer batter biscuits. I think there is a fairly lc beer, Ultra, or something.

Oh no, isn't beer a grain derived thing? So not so good for wheat belly problems? I have some sort of belly, and am trying the gluten free walk to see if it helps long term and keeps me out of doctors offices and expensive testing.

Any thoughts out there, gluten free peops?

Last edited by magnamater; 04-30-2013 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: Spelling
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #1813
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made your biscuit this morning, Diana. Taste wasn't too bad, but ours came out VERY crumbly (wouldn't hold together at all really) and didn't rise much. I made them in 2 greased ramekins. Coconut flour taste came through too strong and hubby really doesn't like coconut taste too much. That uses up the last of my made up BTF mix, in which I could have mismeasured something. So when I made a new quadruple batch of mix after breakfast, I was very attentive to accuracy of measurements, increased whey protein 2 T., increased egg white powder 2 T. and also doubled the gluc and BP. I also think biscuits need some oil/butter as well and will 1-2 T. next go round.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #1814
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Beer is definitely grain-based. That's why the Paleo folks don't cook anything with beer.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #1815
Senior LCF Member

Hmmm... there are more than several GF beers on the market now. But are there any lowish carb ones?

*internetting*

Tread Lightly Ale is gluten free & contains 125 calories per 12 oz beer, and 14 grams of carbohydrates. Wonder how impossible it is to find? I'm willing to part with 2 grams of carbs for 1/7th of a loaf of good yeasty bread!

*more internetting*

"I had a [Green's] amber ale and it was tasty: a bit nutty, not sweet, and a lot like a belgian ale made from wheat. With 11 to 14 grams carbohydrate per 500 ml bottle in the Green’s line of gluten-free beers, it is a modest carbohydrate indulgence, but low enough to stay below the radar for most people’s carbohydrate tolerance if you only drink one."

It is possible...

Last edited by JHoberer; 04-30-2013 at 01:42 PM..
Old 04-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #1816
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I made your biscuit this morning, Diana. Taste wasn't too bad, but ours came out VERY crumbly (wouldn't hold together at all really) and didn't rise much. I made them in 2 greased ramekins. Coconut flour taste came through too strong and hubby really doesn't like coconut taste too much. That uses up the last of my made up BTF mix, in which I could have mismeasured something. So when I made a new quadruple batch of mix after breakfast, I was very attentive to accuracy of measurements, increased whey protein 2 T., increased egg white powder 2 T. and also doubled the gluc and BP. I also think biscuits need some oil/butter as well and will 1-2 T. next go round.
Is there a new formula for the BTF Peggy? Or are the increases in ingredients you mention above specific to this recipe and I missed the posts . . .
Old 04-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #1817
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
Hmmm... there are more than several GF beers on the market now. But are there any lowish carb ones?

*internetting*

Tread Lightly Ale is gluten free & contains 125 calories per 12 oz beer, and 14 grams of carbohydrates. Wonder how impossible it is to find? I'm willing to part with 2 grams of carbs for 1/7th of a loaf of good yeasty bread!

*more internetting*

"I had a [Green's] amber ale and it was tasty: a bit nutty, not sweet, and a lot like a belgian ale made from wheat. With 11 to 14 grams carbohydrate per 500 ml bottle in the Green’s line of gluten-free beers, it is a modest carbohydrate indulgence, but low enough to stay below the radar for most people’s carbohydrate tolerance if you only drink one."

It is possible...
I definitely like your internetting!!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #1818
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I am sorry they didn't turn out so well. I think the coconut flours are very different from each other. I used Aloha Nu coconut flour in my mix and made the mix according to the original BTF recipe. My biscuits turned out light and fluffy and held together nicely for me. They were delicate, but I treated them delicately (didn't mash, chop, etc.) and they were quite wonderful for making egg and sausage biscuits.

I detected no coconut flavor at all and I'm sensitive to that. I did read somewhere that Aloha Nu was a very superior coconut flour, so maybe that is why it worked so well. Too bad they don't sell it any more.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #1819
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenL View Post
Is there a new formula for the BTF Peggy? Or are the increases in ingredients you mention above specific to this recipe and I missed the posts . . .
No, Caren, I was just wanting to increase the amounts for this biscuit recipe and see if I like the results better. I really haven't been doing much experimenting with the flour as I really can't be eating baked goods much these days. I'm never going to get to goal baking all the time. Just wanted a biscuit that didn't require Carbquick that I thought was as good as a real Southern Biscuit.

Diana, you're so right about coconut flours. I was using "Let's Do Organic". It has always clumped and I don't like it. I made my new batch of BTF mix with my new Honeyvillegrains coconut flour. It's much finer IMO and I'm looking forward to finding out how the next biscuits come out.

Last edited by buttoni; 04-30-2013 at 08:00 PM..
Old 04-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #1820
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
No, Caren, I was just wanting to increase the amounts for this biscuit recipe and see if I like the results better. I really haven't been doing much experimenting with the flour as I really can't be eating baked goods much these days. I'm never going to get to goal baking all the time. Just wanted a biscuit that didn't require Carbquick that I thought was as good as a real Southern Biscuit.

Diana, you're so right about coconut flours. I was using "Let's Do Organic". It has always clumped and I don't like it. I made my new batch of BTF mix with my new Honeyvillegrains coconut flour. It's much finer IMO and I'm looking forward to finding out how the next biscuits come out.
Yes, let us know. I found my first batch moist compared to my second batch. In trying to pin down the differences between the two batches:
1st batch - added cream a little at a time (fought with the dough because it was so stiff. Mixed and mixed. Finally thought it was cookie doigh consistency and dropped it onto the cookie sheet. Very light and flaky but made flat biscuits due to no rings or other containment "system".
2nd batch - added the HWC all at once, stirred briefly then spooned into oiled ramekins. 2nd batch dry but decent flavor and shaped exactly like a bisquit

Will try a third batch in the am and report back.
Going to add in cream slowly and beat well after each addition.

Last edited by CarenL; 04-30-2013 at 08:31 PM..
Old 05-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #1821
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Individual Strawberry Cobblers

Hubby asked for a dessert today. I haven't made anything sweet in awhile. I cooked 6 large sweetened sliced strawberries with 1/4 c. water, a dash of xanthan gum. Then using a fork, I made topping with 1/4 c. BTF mix (original recipe) and 2 T. cream+ 2T. water stirred in. I spooned the batter down the center of the cooked berries. Topped with a sprinkle of erythritol and baked 20 minutes. They came out VERY tasty! I like my new Honeyvillegrain coconut flour! Here's a pic:
Old 05-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #1822

Yum!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #1823
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, Peggy, that cobbler looks wonderful! I think I will try it with blackberries--I LOVE blackberry cobbler!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #1824
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cheddar Bay Biscuit

OK Diana, I made the biscuits again today, original recipe but with Honeyvillegrain coconut flour and a dusting of garlic and onion powder and 1 tsp. olive oil added. These came out very good, didn't crumble to smithereens and had a nice taste. Coconut taste was barely detectable this time. We tried them with butter and they were great. We even tasted them with blackberry jam and they were still good. The jam hid the cheese, onion and garlic powder flavors nicely. Here's what they look like.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #1825
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We must have been typing at the same time, Diana. Yes, I want to do a blackberry version next time. This was so easy and tasty! So were the biscuits this time! Don't know it it was the change in coconut flour or they liked the tsp. of oil I added.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #1826
Senior LCF Member

Beautiful pictures!!!! I'll take 2 of each please.

I get my glucomannan (Is that pronounced "glue coe man un"?), oat fiber and pea protein tomorrow! **I am so excited!**
Old 05-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #1827
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
OK Diana, I made the biscuits again today, original recipe but with Honeyvillegrain coconut flour and a dusting of garlic and onion powder and 1 tsp. olive oil added. These came out very good, didn't crumble to smithereens and had a nice taste. Coconut taste was barely detectable this time. We tried them with butter and they were great. We even tasted them with blackberry jam and they were still good. The jam hid the cheese, onion and garlic powder flavors nicely. Here's what they look like.
Dear Peggy: How much HWC would you say you used? I made these bisquits again this morning. I added the HWC a little at a time and ended up using 1/2 cup AND a few tablespoons of water to get to the right batter consistency. I baked them for 25 mins, but they were very wet in the middle. So left them in the oven (turned off) for another 25 minutes. They still were not right.

Isn't the flavor terrific though? Just have to get the quantities tweaked.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #1828
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Caren, I used exactly 1/4 c. measured out. I dribbled it over the dry ingredients as I stirred with a fork. It starts out a bit wet, but when I switched to a rubber spatula and folded the batter on top of itself several times, it thickened up a bit. But it was still a bit sticky on the surface. Reminded me of Bisquick biscuit dough consistency, but maybe a wee bit stiffer.

I would think 1/2 c. cream would be waaaay too much Caren, and would cause cooking issues. But I know Ouiz in post #1 said she used about that much liquid ingredients. 1/4 c. worked great for me.

Last edited by buttoni; 05-01-2013 at 04:55 PM..
Old 05-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #1829
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Caren, I used exactly 1/4 c. measured out. I dribbled it over the dry ingredients as I stirred with a fork. It starts out a bit wet, but when I switched to a rubber spatula and folded the batter on top of itself several times, it thickened up a bit. But it was still a bit sticky on the surface. Reminded me of Bisquick biscuit dough consistency, but maybe a wee bit stiffer.

I would think 1/2 c. cream would be waaaay too much Caren, and would cause cooking issues. But I know Ouiz in post #1 said she used about that much liquid ingredients. 1/4 c. worked great for me.
Thanks for the quick response. I was speculating that when I added all the cream in at once (with the second batch) the flour didn't have a chance to drink up all the moisture, but that occured during the cooking process and they were dry. On the first batch, I added the cream slowly and used a spatula, but it was HARD mixing it because it was so stiff. Nonetheless the first batch was way more moist then the second batch.
So with today's, my third attempt, I added the cream slowly and kept adding and adding and adding & mixing and mixing but eventually I had put in a 1/2 cup! Even so the dough still seemed too stiff and I had to add water.

So tomorrow. I'll do 1/3 cup mix, 1/4 cup HWC, 1tsp oil, 2 tbs grated cheddar. And mix mix mix. And report back.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #1830
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Caren, I only used 1/4 c. of the mix to make my biscuits, and the 1/4 c. cream was enough. If you're using 1/3 c. mix, you will need maybe 1 T. more cream than I used.