Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #1771
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I tried my hand at a piecrust tonight with the BTF mix. I took 1/3 c.+2 T. mix (I use the original recipe in post #1), 1/4 c. almond flour, 1 tsp. gluc powder, 1/8 tsp. salt, 5 T. cold butter cut into dry ingredients and 1/4 c. water. Formed a ball and chilled 30 minutes. Rolled between 2 sheets plastic and placed the sisngle crust on a filling of dried apricots and loquats from my tree stewed in water and pinch gluc. It's so carby I won't bother to give the filling recipe here. Only hubby gets this dessert! I tasted the edge. It was quite tasty, but it sure was a difficult dough to handle without tearing it up a bit on one side, even after chilling. It's more like cookie dough than piecrust to me. Here's what the final crust looked like:

I'll definitely make this crust again, but I need to work on getting it to be a sturdier dough so it's easier to roll and put in the pie plate without tearing up. I'm thinking I'll try upping the gluc to 1 T. next time, since that toughens up my dumpling dough pretty nicely.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2013, 04:54 AM   #1772
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I tried my hand at a piecrust tonight with the BTF mix. I took 1/3 c.+2 T. mix (I use the original recipe in post #1), 1/4 c. almond flour, 1 tsp. gluc powder, 1/8 tsp. salt, 5 T. cold butter cut into dry ingredients and 1/4 c. water. Formed a ball and chilled 30 minutes. Rolled between 2 sheets plastic and placed the sisngle crust on a filling of dried apricots and loquats from my tree stewed in water and pinch gluc. It's so carby I won't bother to give the filling recipe here. Only hubby gets this dessert! I tasted the edge. It was quite tasty, but it sure was a difficult dough to handle without tearing it up a bit on one side, even after chilling. It's more like cookie dough than piecrust to me. Here's what the final crust looked like:

I'll definitely make this crust again, but I need to work on getting it to be a sturdier dough so it's easier to roll and put in the pie plate without tearing up. I'm thinking I'll try upping the gluc to 1 T. next time, since that toughens up my dumpling dough pretty nicely.
Thank you, Peggy, for giving this a whirl and posting your results.

I will stay tuned!
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #1773
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Okay, I know I've done biscuits to death on this thread. It's just that I have been on a mission to make the best Southern biscuit I could, low carb. I think I have it! For this one, I used about 1/3 cup BTF, a tablespoon or two of grated cheddar cheese, and mixed in HWC until the dough was softer than cookie dough but still spoonable, not pourable. Spooned the dough into two rings (I have a set of biscuit cutters I used for this) and baked in a 400 degree oven.

Here's the kicker--I meant to take them out after 10 minutes, but I forgot them and they stayed in the oven for nearly 25 minutes. They didn't dry out and were the best LC biscuits I've ever made!

dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #1774
Major LCF Poster!

Peggy, did your pie crust have the texture of a high carb one? What temperature and how long did you bake it?

Wondering if you painted the crust with egg white and sprinkled with tagatose and cinnamon, if you'd get that crunchy coating that we knew so well as kids. Homemade pie, mmmmm

Last edited by dianafoot; 04-27-2013 at 06:52 AM..
Old 04-27-2013, 08:34 AM   #1775
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
OMG Diana! I've never seen biscuits look that heavenly!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #1776
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oooo. Those biscuits look marvelous, Diana! Must try those! No, I didn't find this to have the texture of flour-made piecrust. It was more like a "short crust" to me, the kind you do underneath so many bar cookie recipes, which is why it was so hard to handle I think. Maybe if I used less water that would help a bit, too. I think you could do the egg white wash. I never have done them often because by day 2, they always make the leftovers smell eggy to me. They do make a lovely surface on day 1 though, and if I think company and we can consume the entire pie in 1 day, I've been known to do egg white washes for sheen and texture.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #1777
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I know I made a pie crust following Gina's recipe for it a long time ago, and I don't think it was too fragile--not that you could roll and pull it like a regular pie crust, but it was sturdy enough to pick up and transfer, and I remember it tasting pretty much like pie crust.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #1778
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'll go back in the thread and find that one, Ouiz.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #1779
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Peggy, I'm pretty sure I used this one.

Pie crust-Callieco

1/4 cup mix
2TBL almond flour
salt (to taste - I tend to like salty)
1/2 stick cold butter
3 TBL water

Mix the dry ingredients and cut the butter in until crumbly and well mixed. Add water - one tablespoon at a time and mix. The dough was wet but not sticky.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #1780
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK, thanks Gina. That one was actually the basis of my experiment, but I wanted a larger batch (to hopefully have a bottom crust and increased the mix, almond flour and butter slightly. But it still wasn't enough dough for a bottom crust, and definitely not easy to handle. Hmmmm. I will try it as written (not increased) and see if the dough is more manageable. I'm going to also increase the gluc and see what happens.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #1781
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
Diana.. what is "HWC" and can I leave out the cheese since I can't eat dairy?
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #1782
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy G View Post
Grammy HWC= heavy whipping cream

I do this all the time. I leave out the cheese and for the HWC I use almond milk alot. Some recipes you can;t change it but some it works great.

I make frittata's all the time, because of the eggs I can use almond milk or coconut milk for the HWC. I hope I'm helping.

Last edited by rosethorns; 04-27-2013 at 12:18 PM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #1783
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Peggy, I'm pretty sure I used this one.

Pie crust-Callieco

1/4 cup mix
2TBL almond flour
salt (to taste - I tend to like salty)
1/2 stick cold butter
3 TBL water

Mix the dry ingredients and cut the butter in until crumbly and well mixed. Add water - one tablespoon at a time and mix. The dough was wet but not sticky.

I use this one and press it out in the pan. My mom always made that type of crust vs. a roll out, and while I am a decent cook, I've never enjoyed rolling out pie crust.

It works great for me in my smaller pie pan. I grabbed a bigger one the 2nd time I made it, and the crust was not going to adequately cover the bottom. I would have needed to 1.5x the recipe at the very least. I don't even know what sizes my pie pans are (! ) but it works fine in the smaller sized one I have.
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #1784
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy G View Post
Like someone else said, HWC is heavy whipping cream. I have tried cutting in butter and adding water, or using a bit of butter and some almond milk, or using buttermilk and butter, etc. to make my biscuits with btf. The buttermilk and butter ones tasted the best so far before this one.

I was at my daughter's house last weekend and she made "cream biscuits", using only self-rising flour and cream, and I thought they were wonderful. Thus my experiment with Ouizoid's flour mix (which is self-rising) and cream. I really think that the texture is very close to a Southern biscuit: crusty on the outside, light and fluffy on the inside, and rich in flavor.

The cheese is not at all necessary--I just wanted a sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit, so I put the cheese right in the biscuit!

It is strawberry season here right now, so I am going to add sweetener (no cheese) to my next cream biscuits and make strawberry shortcake!
Old 04-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #1785
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Diana your biscuits are beautiful!!!!!

Peggy lovely pie!!!!!!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #1786
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
Okay, I know I've done biscuits to death on this thread. It's just that I have been on a mission to make the best Southern biscuit I could, low carb. I think I have it! For this one, I used about 1/3 cup BTF, a tablespoon or two of grated cheddar cheese, and mixed in HWC until the dough was softer than cookie dough but still spoonable, not pourable. Spooned the dough into two rings (I have a set of biscuit cutters I used for this) and baked in a 400 degree oven.

Here's the kicker--I meant to take them out after 10 minutes, but I forgot them and they stayed in the oven for nearly 25 minutes. They didn't dry out and were the best LC biscuits I've ever made!

Wow!!! They look amazing!
Old 04-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #1787
Major LCF Poster!

Oddly, later in the morning, we went to a nationally famous down-home southern restaurant for a late breakfast. I took a taste of the biscuit they brought with my plate, and it was like a hockey puck, dull, dense, and dry. Glad I had mine earlier!
Old 04-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #1788
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MSS726
WOE: Low Carb
I (finally!) got all of the ingredients for the BTF and made the mix x 12 as specified, so I don't have to make it constantly since I have long days at work. So...I made the peanut butter cookies (thanks, Rosethorn). I made the recipe as specified other than mixing half coconut oil and half butter, and added some (about 1/2 cup) Nevada Manna chocolate chips to the batter. First of all, the batter was very soft, like drop cookies, so that's what I did, made drop cookies, not like a traditional pb cookie that you roll in a ball and smash with a fork. My husband and I both thought they needed more peanut butter, like a full cup, so we will tweak next time. We also thought they were a little dry, but believe it was from the coconut flour in the mix, and am thinking the extra peanut butter just may take care of that issue. Anyway, it did not in any way stop us from consuming the finished product. I will just tweak and play with it for next time. Hope no one minds an honest opinion. I tend to tweak most recipes to suit our individual tastes, but do appreciate a basic recipe to start with, and anxious to try some other recipes with the mix.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #1789
Major LCF Poster!

Mari, I'm glad you liked the flour mix. We all appreciate an honest review, sometimes it's the ingredient brands acting different in a recipe or a personal preferences. I think all of us tweak recipes around here to suit our own tastes and the ingredients we have on hand at times. I try to be honest when I write a review, but I know that just because I like something doesn't mean everyone will. The only way to know for sure is to try something. The shortbread cookies I made while back were kind of dry but posted my results so if anyone felt like tweaking it.

Have fun playing around with the mix, and come back to post all your results for us.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #1790
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Mari - Honest opinions are always appreciated, I think. Tweaking is something most of us do to recipes, everyone's taste is different, some people can't have or don't use certain ingredients so change things up to your liking. I personally tweak recipes a lot, but I also read everyone else's tweaks and often try and like theirs better than my own. I often feel like a mad scientist in the kitchen and I love changing things up a bit.

I guess Gina and I were posting at the same time - saying basically the same thing - Great Minds, huh, Gina!

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 04-27-2013 at 08:32 PM..
Tweaker Geek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #1791
Major LCF Poster!

You betcha! I think that happens quite often in posting lol
Old 04-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #1792
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tweaking is what stimulates creativity around here! It's what we live for, lol
Old 04-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #1793
Senior LCF Member

Hi Gina,
Have you made your pie crust for the top AND bottom crust? Or only the top crust? If you made the bottom crust then I wondered how it did? Was it soggy?
Old 04-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #1794
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I used this recipe for a raspberry chiffon pie. The bottom did not get soggy, but as Peggy stated, it was more like a cookie dough than a pie crust. Of course, that did not stop me from eating every bite.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #1795
Senior LCF Member

Oh.. please, please, please may you post the raspberry chiffon pie recipe? :-)
Old 04-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #1796
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
This s more of a methods idea, but I was happy with th results.

I was making 6 days of sausage biscuits for me and non LC DH.

I was making my variation of buttermilk garlic cheese biscuits, and I wanted to do them in the toaster oven.

So how to form the biscuits n the fly?

Light bulb moment!

I used an ice cream scoop with the metal round thing that pushes the scoop of whatever out. Then I patted the ball down into a biscuit! No rolling, no mess! No custard cups which. Had used before.
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:08 AM   #1797
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
I love using an ice cream scoop (numerous sizes) for mini and regular muffins too, whether in a muffin tin or just a cookie sheet. It takes all the guess work out of the amount for each one and they're all a uniform size.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #1798
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
This is a tweak of America's Test Kitchen or Cook's Country Raspberry Chiffon Pie. I use Universal Pomona Pectin to make the raspberry jam, but any low sugar option will work. Just follow their instructions. This is one of the recipes I make for company. I cannot be trusted around it when by myself.
Raspberry Pie America’s Test Kitchen
Fantastic Flour Mix Pie Dough Rosethorns

1 cup mix
1/2 cup almond flour
salt to taste
1/3 cup cold butter (5-6 Tbs.)
6 Tbs. water
Take mix, flour and butter blend with a pastry cutter or fingers then add water until dough forms. Roll between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Prick with a fork and bake at 325 for about 25 min.
Fantastic Flour Mix Ouizoid
½ cup Oat fiber
½ cup coconut flour
¼ cup vanilla protein powder
¼ cup egg white powder
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. glucomannan
¼ cup erythritol, optional
Mix together.
Raspberry Chiffon Pie Cook’s Country
Jam Layer

2 pkg. minus 1 cup frozen raspberries
1 ½ t universal pectin
1 ½ t calcium
1 cup splenda or more
¼ t stevia
Juice of one lemon
1 pinch salt
1 cup frozen raspberries, thawed
Chiffon Layer
3 tablespoons boiling water
2 ½ t sf raspberry gelatin, (note, this is less than a full box!)
6 tablespoons cream cheese, softened (3 ounces by weight)
1 cup heavy cream, very cold
Whipped Cream
1 ½ cups heavy cream
3-4 tablespoons sweetener
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook frozen raspberries until they begin to release their juices. Add pectin, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and strain. Press down on solids to extract as much liquid as possible; discard solids. Reserve 1/3 cup of jam and cool to room temperature. Fold fresh raspberries into remaining jam and pour into pie crust. In the work bowl of a mixer, combine boiling water with raspberry-flavored gelatin. Stir until gelatin is fully dissolved. Add cream cheese and cooled raspberry jam. Beat with whisk attachment on high until cream cheese is fully incorporated (turn speed up slowly). Scrape down sides of bowl several times. Add heavy cream. Start on medium-low until combined, then whip on high until thick but still pourable. Pour over jam in pie crust. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set, at least 3 hours. (Pie can be held in refrigerator at this point, up to 2 days.). Whip very cold heavy cream with sugar until very thick. Fill piping bag with star tip with whipped cream. Pipe rosettes in circles to cover entire surface.

Last edited by Soobee; 04-29-2013 at 06:50 AM..
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:08 AM   #1799
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarenL
Stats: 125/121/110
WOE: HFLC GF SF
Start Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post

Dear Diana: Flavor & texture is amazing!! This will be our go to breakfast bisquit from now on. Just a couple of questions - i didn't have bisquit cutters so just made 4 drop bisquits. They spread flat with the baking, but still tasted wonderful. Next stop Bed Bath & Beyond for a set of bisquit cutters.
Do you grease them? Also, I may be off on the amount of HWC. Mine were a tad soggy in the middle, although the browned edges were crispy and flaky.

I was wondering if the next time you work this recipe you might try to guestimate some of the quantities and then report back. (I don't ask for much do I????) LOL thanks for making it your mission to perfect the low carb southern style bisquit!!

Last edited by CarenL; 04-29-2013 at 07:09 AM..
CarenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #1800
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenL View Post
Dear Diana: Flavor & texture is amazing!! This will be our go to breakfast bisquit from now on. Just a couple of questions - i didn't have bisquit cutters so just made 4 drop bisquits. They spread flat with the baking, but still tasted wonderful. Next stop Bed Bath & Beyond for a set of bisquit cutters.
Do you grease them? Also, I may be off on the amount of HWC. Mine were a tad soggy in the middle, although the browned edges were crispy and flaky.

I was wondering if the next time you work this recipe you might try to guestimate some of the quantities and then report back. (I don't ask for much do I????) LOL thanks for making it your mission to perfect the low carb southern style bisquit!!
I did use 1/3 cup BTF and about 2 tbs grated cheddar. The only quantity I can't guess at is the HWC, because I drizzled it in a little at a time, starting with about 1/4 cup and stirring briefly each time. I would let it rest a few seconds, then add a little more when the dough stiffened up. It was like a drop biscuit dough consistency, much thicker than cake batter, but not as stiff as cookie dough or regular biscuit dough (they were too soft to be rolled, for example). I had to spoon them into the rings and then run a knife across the top to smooth them out a little.

I have tried the drop biscuit method, but I wanted the biscuits to rise higher. What I actually used was a set of graduated biscuit or cookie cutters, and used two of the sizes that I wanted my biscuits to be. I got them on Amazon for only 3 or 4 dollars. They are just rings that are about 1" high. And yes, I sprayed them and the pan with cooking spray.

As for cooking them, I think mine were not soggy in the center because I accidentally let them go for 25 minutes. I was sure they'd be very dried out, but somehow they weren't. Hope that wasn't just luck, because I definitely want them again!

Last edited by dianafoot; 04-29-2013 at 02:18 PM..