Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dmburk
Stats: 260/185/190
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2011
Yes. To the original posted recipe.
dmburk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Today I made a gingerbread cake and a white cake. I used gingerbread flavor drops and cinnamon for the gingerbread cake and cake batter flavor drops and vanilla for the white cake. They were both very yummy!! I made a cream cheese frosting to frost them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (49.7 KB, 77 views)
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #153
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
I pre-made a large quantity of this mix a couple weeks ago and hadn't used it, thinking I was going to be disappointed again - until this morning. Made biscuits and sausage gravy for family and decided to try the mix and make a biscuit. Oh my gosh, this is fantastic! I'm a supertaster and find I just can't eat most low carb substitutes but this tasted like a REAL biscuit. I melted butter in the bottom of custard dish and added 1/4 c mix and dribbled milk keeping the batter thick and kind of lumpy on top like a drop biscuit dough. I nuked it until it felt crusty on top. I'm amazed at how similar they are in taste and texture to Bisquick. A little denser but no weird aftertaste or smell. Can't wait to try making cupcakes. Thanks Ouizoid - amazing recipe.
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #154
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
I pre-made a large quantity of this mix a couple weeks ago and hadn't used it, thinking I was going to be disappointed again - until this morning. Made biscuits and sausage gravy for family and decided to try the mix and make a biscuit. Oh my gosh, this is fantastic! I'm a supertaster and find I just can't eat most low carb substitutes but this tasted like a REAL biscuit. I melted butter in the bottom of custard dish and added 1/4 c mix and dribbled milk keeping the batter thick and kind of lumpy on top like a drop biscuit dough. I nuked it until it felt crusty on top. I'm amazed at how similar they are in taste and texture to Bisquick. A little denser but no weird aftertaste or smell. Can't wait to try making cupcakes. Thanks Ouizoid - amazing recipe.
Where's the "Like" button!!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
FABULOUS FLOUR MIX BROWNIES SF/GF
The original mix was posted by Quizoid. A wonderful
Low Carb Friends cook. She made the formula to have
a nice big filling cake. She bakes it in the microwave for
3 minutes. I decided that because everyone had made it
into a 3 minute cake in the microwave, I was craving
a baked dense fudgy brownie in the oven. So this is my tweak.
*Sweetness is up to the baker.

FABULOUS FLOUR BROWNIES
Preheat oven to 350
Prepare a 7.5" by 5" Pyrex baking dish
Makes 9 brownies

Sift into a medium bowl:
2 tbs. OAT FIBER (NOT FLOUR)
2 tbs. coconut flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tbs. vanilla protein powder (I use J.Robb)
1 tbs. egg white powder
2 tbs. dark cocoa powder sf
1 tbs. sugar free cocoa mix (optional)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. glucomannan powder, I use NOW brand (Konjac Root)
*1-3 tbs. powdered (erythritol) (in coffee grinder)
AFTER SIFTING WELL AND MIXING
Liquid and fat:
In a small saucepan place:
1 tbs. butter
1 tbs. oil your choice (I had macadamia nut)
1/4 c. SF Torani or DV French vanilla flavoring
1/4 c. heavy whipping cream

Bring liquid almost to a boil.
Pour over dry ingredients and mix quickly.
Batter will puff up. Place immediately into your
prepared pan. My oven baked it to perfection in
10 minutes. Cool 3/4 of the way. Cut into 9 squares.

While brownies are baking, **grind some more erythritol
into powder. Place powder into a small pan for dredging.
Dredge each brownie into powdered 'sugar' and coat well.

I use an **old coffee bean grinder and it makes powdered sugar
in just minutes.

Options: sf chocolate chips, toasted nuts. Whatever you
can dream up.
Barbo, do you have a picture of these? Also, are these cake-like or gooey? (I like the gooey, type better). Thank you for posting this!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

I made 4 different flavors today. The white and gingerbread were the same as the ones I made yesterday, and I also made chocolate and apple pie flavored. I made a cream cheese frosting and then I put some frosting in 4 bowls and flavored them with the same flavor drops that I used to flavor the cakes. I used peppermint to flavor the frosting for the chocolate cupcakes.

The white cake tastes a lot like angel food cake to me. I ate one of these for brunch with a cup of coffee and I wasn't hungry all day!! I get two big cupcakes from the recipe in the original post. I love having the different flavors for variety. I still can't believe how yummy these are and the texture is just like regular cake!!

The picture doesn't do these cupcakes justice, they taste way better than they look!! Lol
If you haven't tried these yet, you are missing out! I'm thinking about making a triple or quadruple batch and baking it in a cake pan in the oven to have for dessert at our family Christmas party. Just need to decide which flavor I want to do lol

I can't thank you enough for this recipe Ouizoid!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (56.8 KB, 74 views)
Old 12-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #157
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
I have made this cake several times - I just realized I'm not subscribed to this thread.

THIS.
IS.
CAKE!!!

So good, such a "treat" without guilt.

And I haven't even tried chocolate - so I'm looking forward to this yet again.
Thank you so much for this great recipe.
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

you are most welcome Judy! I get a kick out people's love for this recipe!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #159
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
I finally figured out that I was cooking it tooo long and that was making it to dry, I cut back the microwave time to 2 min 40 seconds and it was perfect for my microwave. I want to try chocolate next time too.
Buffy45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I am so loving this flour mixture and am making notes of everybodies experiments. Thanks so much Barbo for the brownie recipe, I've been wanting to try this in the oven but haven't had a chance yet.

I haven't tried many different versions yet since I so love the cinnamon roll one that I can't stop making it yet but I after seeing the new Krispy Kreme Red Velvet doughnuts at the gas station the other day I'm itching to try that and use the Lorann Red Velvet Bakery Emulsion I bought but haven't used.

Thanks again Ouizoid, I love this flour mix, it's the best. I love that it doesn't use flax, I just don't like the feel of flax on my teeth and just find the taste a bit funny.

Last edited by PaminKY; 12-11-2012 at 09:11 AM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hi Callie

The biscuits were made from the original recipe? Mine has a vanilla flavor to start.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #162
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think when I make up a big batch I will use unflavored protein powder and then just add vanilla if I need it in sweet applications and then the vanilla won't affect the taste of savory items.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #163
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
I think when I make up a big batch I will use unflavored protein powder and then just add vanilla if I need it in sweet applications and then the vanilla won't affect the taste of savory items.
Good idea - I've been making them one-at-a-time. This is so good I think I will just make up a big batch and leave it neutral.
Thanks!
Old 12-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #164
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
That's what I do too. I also leave out the optional 1 Tbs erythritol of course. One individual serving of the mix weighed out at 3.9 ounces for me.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
That's what I do too. I also leave out the optional 1 Tbs erythritol of course. One individual serving of the mix weighed out at 3.9 ounces for me.
Forgot about the erythritol, I would leave it out too. Thanks for the weight amount.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Forgot about the erythritol, I would leave it out too. Thanks for the weight amount.
Thank you!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made an eggnog flavoured version today--used some eggnog davinci's, some ground nutmeg and a little half n' half. Soooo good!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #168
Big Yapper!!!!

When I have time to cook again, will make up a big batch of unflavored. Heck, I should just take the time to do it now, but I don't have any unflavored protein powder on hand and I don't think I want vanilla biscuits,

Eggnog sound yummo
Old 12-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #169
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
When I have time to cook again, will make up a big batch of unflavored. Heck, I should just take the time to do it now, but I don't have any unflavored protein powder on hand and I don't think I want vanilla biscuits,

Eggnog sound yummo
I know - it DOES sound so good to have eggnog. I was very excited to see that because I actually do have a bottle of the DaVinci eggnog flavor! Yay!
Old 12-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #170
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Today I made a gingerbread cake and a white cake. I used gingerbread flavor drops and cinnamon for the gingerbread cake and cake batter flavor drops and vanilla for the white cake. They were both very yummy!! I made a cream cheese frosting to frost them.
Are you using Capella drops for the different flavors?

I want to lick the screen, your picture looks so good!
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Are you using Capella drops for the different flavors?

I want to lick the screen, your picture looks so good!
Thank you, I'm not that good at taking pics but I know people like to see them before trying a recipe.

I do use the Capella drops and it only takes a few drops to flavor the cakes. I will be ordering more flavors to try. I really love how versatile this recipe is and it's nice to see all the different combinations and uses for it.

I think I will get some davinci syrups for flavoring and sweetening at the same time.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #172
Big Yapper!!!!

IN the capella drops, would you recommend the cake batter or the vanilla cupcake? The gingerbread might be nice too. Heck, all of them sound good.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #173
Major LCF Poster!

I have tried both the cake batter and gingerbread and they are yummy. I haven't tried the vanilla cupcake yet but I bet it would be good too. So many flavors to try!!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #174
Senior LCF Member

Hi JMCM1 ..didn't see your message before now. I did use the base mix but I don't use vanilla whey. I used Bob's Red Mill Whey and I didn't add any other flavorings except the butter on the bottom and the milk in the mix. I microwaved until it was firm on top -actually felt a little crusty to me. It was a little on the drier side so it seemed more biscuity.

I've been experimenting making chocolate chip pecan cookies with this mix. First batch came out perfect as far as texture - crispy and so much like the real thing I was excited. The taste was good but the cooling effect of the erythritol was overpowering. I then tried it by mixing 50/50 E and Inulin and they tasted excellent - cooling all but gone - but were way, way too soft. This mix would make a fantastic cookie if I could figure out the sweetening...if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #175
Major LCF Poster!

I like using Bobo's sweetener blend

1 cup erythritol
1 cup Splenda
1/8 tsp Stevia
Old 12-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #176
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hi JMCM1 ..didn't see your message before now. I did use the base mix but I don't use vanilla whey. I used Bob's Red Mill Whey and I didn't add any other flavorings except the butter on the bottom and the milk in the mix. I microwaved until it was firm on top -actually felt a little crusty to me. It was a little on the drier side so it seemed more biscuity.

I've been experimenting making chocolate chip pecan cookies with this mix. First batch came out perfect as far as texture - crispy and so much like the real thing I was excited. The taste was good but the cooling effect of the erythritol was overpowering. I then tried it by mixing 50/50 E and Inulin and they tasted excellent - cooling all but gone - but were way, way too soft. This mix would make a fantastic cookie if I could figure out the sweetening...if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.
Thanks so much - I am anxious to taste the biscuit. I have unflavored whey protein isolate - I bet that will work. (unless someone tells me otherwise )
Old 12-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #177
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG. I made the BEST cookies I've had since starting LC. 1/2 c of my flour mix, 1.5 Tbs butter, 1 egg, 1/4 c half n half, 1/3 cup sweetener mix, 1/2 cup cranberries, 1/4 cup pecan bits. mix til batter is thick like cookie dough and drop onto cookie sheet by spoonful. Bake at 350 about 12 minutes or until brown on top. Indistinguishable from high carb cookies.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

As much as I love love love love love the people on my "home" thread, this is surely my new favorite thread.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Ouizoid, what did you use for sweetener? Were the cookies soft or crisp? I didn't use eggs in my attempts and I added baking soda. The first batch had a texture so close to the real thing I couldn't believe it - they were crisp and golden and I was sooo excited - until they cooled and the erythritol just killed the taste for me. Even after two days the texture is good. This 'flour' is just brilliant.

Gina, I'm going to try that mix of sweeteners. I was using splenda syrup as my wet but maybe I'll just use milk or water and see if I can get the same result I did the first time, without the cooling - thanks.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #180
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I make brown sugar by mixing erythritol and molasses. My sweetener is 1/2 ideal brown and 1/2 my e mix. I'll have to try your baking soda addition!