Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #1711
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_last View Post
I bought the NOW brand unflavored eggwhite protein powder. It works great and has no artificial sweetener or flavor. The only ingredient is egg whites.
Thanks for the info. I really wish netrition would post this information, as the only info I could get on their website was for the chocolate flavored egg protein powder.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #1712
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Here's what I see for the NOW Egg White Protein Powder, unflavored

Nutrition Facts
Select Product from List
NOW Egg White Protein Powder, Rich Chocolate 1.5 lb.NOW Egg White Protein Powder, Unflavored 1.2 lb.NOW Egg White Protein Powder, Vanilla Creme 1.5 lb.Show All Nutrition Facts

153-0248
NOW
Egg White Protein Powder, Unflavored
1.2 lb.
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1/4 cup (20g)
Servings Per Container: 22

Amount
Per Serving % Daily
Value*

Total Calories 75

Calories From Fat 0

Sodium 250 mg 10%

Total Carbohydrates 0.9 g <1%

Protein 16 g

Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 2%
Iron 0%
Riboflavin (B2) 27%

L-Leucine 1205 mg
L-Isoleucine 725 mg
L-Lysine 940 mg
L-Methionine 785 mg
L-Phenylalanine 850 mg
L-Threonine 695 mg
L-Alanine 1200 mg
L-Arginine 840 mg
L-Aspartic Acid 1675 mg
L-Glutamic Acid 2100 mg
L-Glycine 525 mg
L-Histidine 350 mg
L-Proline 565 mg
L-Serine 1025 mg

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Contains no sugar, salt, starch, yeast, wheat, gluten, corn, soy, milk, or preservatives. This Eggwhite powder is pasteurized which inactivates the avidin glycoprotein. Biotin fortification is not necessary for this product.

Ingredients: Eggwhite Powder.

Recommended Use: As a high protein, lowfat food, add 1/4 cup EggWhite Protein to 12 oz. of milk or other liquid. This powder can be used in cooking recipes by mixing two tablespoons of powder with six tablespoons of water to equal two egg whites.

If you notice any errors in the information above, please let us know. If you have further questions about this product, please contact NOW at 1-888-NOW-FOOD
The nutrition facts listed above are supplied as a courtesy to our customers. The nutrition facts were current and accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time they were entered. Manufacturers often change formulas or ingredients without notifying us. We do our best to keep them as up to date as possible, however Netrition.com will not be held responsible for any differences between what is listed on our web site and what is listed on the product that you receive. If you need to be 100% certain of the ingredients currently being shipped, we recommend that you call or email our customer service department to check the shelf of current stock.

Contains no sugar, salt, starch, yeast, wheat, gluten, corn, soy, milk, or preservatives. This Eggwhite powder is pasteurized which inactivates the avidin glycoprotein. Biotin fortification is not necessary for this product.

Ingredients: Eggwhite Powder.

Recommended Use: As a high protein, lowfat food, add 1/4 cup EggWhite Protein to 12 oz. of milk or other liquid. This powder can be used in cooking recipes by mixing two tablespoons of powder with six tablespoons of water to equal two egg whites.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #1713
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
I looked at Netrition's egg white protein powders and the ones that they have the nutrition information for say that they have xylitol, stevia (which I cannot abide in any form) and flavoring. Does the unflavored have sweetening and other ingredients? I couldn't find any nutrition info on Jay Robb's unflavored.
Just FYI, the Jay Robb one is more expensive than the NOW eggwhite protein powder, and the Jay Robb unflavored contains soy lecithin, so it is not pure egg whites.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #1714
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, thanks, Mistizoom! I could not find that info about the unflavored eggwhite powder anywhere on the netrition website. Glad to know it's pure eggwhite powder and nothing else--I'll be ordering that on my next order.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #1715
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: at_last
Stats: 164/115/112 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2009
dianafoot - you can see that information on the netrition site by clicking on the little arrow next to the product name where it says "nutrition facts". The chocolate one shows up automatically, but you have to click the arrow to see the nutritionals for the other versions.

It's kind of confusing - not very intuitive.
at_last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #1716
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
Egg white protein powder

I put the egg white protein powder on my WISH LIST for Netrition for next month. I read the nutritional details last night.

I remembered buying an egg product from Michaels to use for the glue for ginger bread houses but when I checked the packaging it had sugar on the label.

Thank you so much for your help. I'm also going to try using the fresh egg whites too since I think it will be much cheaper.
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:27 AM   #1717
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you at__last. I finally found the nutrition info "at last" on the website.
Now a bit of trivia about the relative cost of Deb-el vs Now powdered egg whites:

Deb-el=8 oz for ~$16 or ~$2 per oz
Now egg whites = 19 oz for ~$15 or ~79¢ per oz

However:
Deb-el uses 2 tsp powder for 1 egg white
Now uses 3 tsp powder for 1 egg white

So figuring that Now uses 1/3 more powder than Deb-el to reconstitute an equal amount of egg whites, in order to equalize the cost, the Deb-el would have to be raised to ~$1.20 per oz equivalent. That is still considerably less expensive than the Deb-el at ~$2.00 per oz.

Just an aside: I noticed that the instructions for reconstituting the Deb-el powder says 2 tsp powder to 2 tsp water. Then it says for 2 egg whites to use 4 tsp powder to ¼ cup (4 tbsp.) water. I think the first measure is off—it should be 2 tsp powder to 2 Tbsp. water for 1 egg white.

Can you tell I'm laid up and have time on my hands? I fell off a ladder and crunched my back pretty good and Dr. ordered me to stay out of work for a week to let it heal!

Last edited by dianafoot; 04-09-2013 at 06:28 AM..
Old 04-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #1718
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: at_last
Stats: 164/115/112 5'2"
Start Date: October 2009
Quote:
Thank you at__last. I finally found the nutrition info "at last" on the website.

Glad I could help! Hope you feel better soon!
at_last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #1719
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Now a bit of trivia about the relative cost of Deb-el vs Now powdered egg whites:

Deb-el=8 oz for ~$16 or ~$2 per oz
Now egg whites = 19 oz for ~$15 or ~79¢ per oz

However:
Deb-el uses 2 tsp powder for 1 egg white
Now uses 3 tsp powder for 1 egg white

So figuring that Now uses 1/3 more powder than Deb-el to reconstitute an equal amount of egg whites, in order to equalize the cost, the Deb-el would have to be raised to ~$1.20 per oz equivalent. That is still considerably less expensive than the Deb-el at ~$2.00 per oz.

Just an aside: I noticed that the instructions for reconstituting the Deb-el powder says 2 tsp powder to 2 tsp water. Then it says for 2 egg whites to use 4 tsp powder to ¼ cup (4 tbsp.) water. I think the first measure is off—it should be 2 tsp powder to 2 Tbsp. water for 1 egg white.

Can you tell I'm laid up and have time on my hands? I fell off a ladder and crunched my back pretty good and Dr. ordered me to stay out of work for a week to let it heal!
I did the calculation a bit differently, based on number of egg white equivlalents per container (1.2 lb. NOW = 44 egg whites for $14.99, 8 oz. Deb El = 21 egg whites for $15.99). I calculated the cost is 34 cents per egg white equivalent for the NOW and 76 cents per egg white equivlalent for the Deb El. I agree the NOW is the clear winner from Netrition. Haven't looked at the Honeyville pricing.

ETA: The Honeyville egg whites contain "less than 0.1% sodium lauryl sulfate (added as a whipping agent)" which I would rather avoid ingesting, but the price is awesome, less than 11 cents per egg white equivalent before any discount.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 04-09-2013 at 11:12 AM..
Old 04-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #1720
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I just ordered some egg white powder. I hope it's as good as the Deb-El
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #1721
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I did the calculation a bit differently, based on number of egg white equivlalents per container (1.2 lb. NOW = 44 egg whites for $14.99, 8 oz. Deb El = 21 egg whites for $15.99). I calculated the cost is 34 cents per egg white equivalent for the NOW and 76 cents per egg white equivlalent for the Deb El. I agree the NOW is the clear winner from Netrition. Haven't looked at the Honeyville pricing.

ETA: The Honeyville egg whites contain "less than 0.1% sodium lauryl sulfate (added as a whipping agent)" which I would rather avoid ingesting, but the price is awesome, less than 11 cents per egg white equivalent before any discount.
I see my mistake--i was going by cost per ounce and not number of servings--the powders must vary somewhat in density. I did notice the sodium lauryl sulfate and I looked it up--seems like they put it in there to help the egg whites whip better--it's a surfactant that helps shampoo lather up better. The cost is much more impressive when it is done by number of servings. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #1722
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
Has anyone tried scones with this mix, I was concerned that I might need to add the hi maize and sour cream to get that authentic crisp and moist taste.
Thanks
Jo
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #1723
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Failed cookie attempt

I tried making shortbread cookies using an old high carb recipe but it didn't work very well. I'm not sure if I used too much of the flour mix or if it needs an egg added. They came out dry, very fragile and powdery. They taste really good though!! I don't have a cookie press so I rolled the dough into a log and cut into 1/2" slices. They didn't spread or change shape at all. My daughter went to eat one and it literally fell out of her hand and onto the floor in crumbs lol

I'm going to try using the cookies for a cookie crust, maybe for a cheesecake or a pudding or cream pie, or some type of dessert, not sure yet.

Here's the recipe in case anyone wants to play around with it. The original recipe called for 2 cups of flour but I only used 1 1/2 cups of BTF mix because of the coconut flour and oat fiber and I think even that was too much flour. I may try making them again and use less flour to see if that helps.

These make delicious cookie when made with flour!

Shortbread Cookies

“Use only butter in these for best flavor.”

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar ( I used 1/2 cup Xylitol and 1/4 cup Splenda)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract ( I used Princess cake & cookie bakery emulsion)
1 1/2 cups BTF

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Stir in vanilla; add flour and mix well.
Put through cookie press and form cookies onto baking sheets. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes.

Click on image to enlarge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (37.1 KB, 31 views)
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #1724
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I see my mistake--i was going by cost per ounce and not number of servings--the powders must vary somewhat in density. I did notice the sodium lauryl sulfate and I looked it up--seems like they put it in there to help the egg whites whip better--it's a surfactant that helps shampoo lather up better. The cost is much more impressive when it is done by number of servings. Thank you!
Since the BTF mix uses the powder based on volume rather than number of egg white equivalents I'm not sure my way is better - just a different way of looking at it. Eiter way NOW is cheaper than Deb El and Honeyville is cheaper than both.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #1725
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post

Here's the recipe in case anyone wants to play around with it. The original recipe called for 2 cups of flour but I only used 1 1/2 cups of BTF mix because of the coconut flour and oat fiber and I think even that was too much flour. I may try making them again and use less flour to see if that helps.

These make delicious cookie when made with flour!

Shortbread Cookies

“Use only butter in these for best flavor.”

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar ( I used 1/2 cup Xylitol and 1/4 cup Splenda)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract ( I used Princess cake & cookie bakery emulsion)
1 1/2 cups BTF

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Stir in vanilla; add flour and mix well.
Put through cookie press and form cookies onto baking sheets. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes.

After the cookies have cooled for a while they're no longer as fragile and can be eaten without falling apart!! I like them and don't think they're too dry, they kinda melt in your mouth but my daughter still thinks they're dry. That's fine, the more for me!! LOL

I made some black and white cookies using melted Lindt bar and icing that I made with butter, powdered xylitol, vanilla and a little cream.

Click on pic to enlarge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (26.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 04-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #1726
Major LCF Poster!

Here they are all set up! They are very tasty!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 04-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #1727
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Darn!! These posts on the egg white powder remind me that I forgot to order any in a big netrition order that I placed last week so I guess I'll just keep adding my powdered whole eggs for the time being. The flour mix seems to work well for me with them but since I don't have egg white powder I can't compare---ignorance is bliss!

Gina - that's a nice simple recipe for shortbread cookies - I really like the black and white idea. (off topic for this thread, but I just saw your post with choc dipped strawberries - yum!)

Jo - I think someone posted that they had tried scones - I don't remember who though, I'm sure someone will chime in on that.

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #1728
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post

Gina - that's a nice simple recipe for shortbread cookies - I really like the black and white idea. (off topic for this thread, but I just saw your post with choc dipped strawberries - yum!)
It's a very easy recipe!!

I had never had or heard of a black and white cookie but while watching an episode of Seinfeld, Jerry ate one and afterwards got sick and ruined his 15 yr streak of not getting sick. LOL

The strawberries were yummy, my daughter loved them.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:14 AM   #1729
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Those cookies look Really good!
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #1730
Major LCF Poster!

Chicken pot pie anyone?

It tastes great but was a little too flakey lol I used left over chicken and gravy I had from a roast chicken and frozen carrots and peas.
The bottom crust was easy, I just patted it down into the pan. The top crust was a little more difficult, after rolling it out between parchment paper and plastic wrap I flipped it on top of the pie and it mostly made it but one side it kind of came apart and the edge didn't really want to look pretty but it tastes good so I guess that's what matters.

I used an old high carb pie crust but I used 1 cup almond flour and 1 cup BTF mix, everything else was the same as the recipe. It needs more work to get a more workable crust but it tastes good.

Oil Pie Crust

Ingredients:

2 cups flour (1 cup almond flour & 1 cup BTF)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
5 tablespoons cold water
Directions:

Combine flour and salt. Measure oil and water; don't stir. Pour on flour mixture, and mix with fork and hands. Makes 2 pie shells or 1 shell with top crust.

Bake @400 for 30-35 minutes

Click on pic to enlarge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (32.4 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 04-11-2013 at 04:31 PM..
Old 04-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #1731
Major LCF Poster!

That looks really good, Gina! How would you compare the flavor/texture of your crust with a high-carb crust? And how did you thicken the chicken/vegetable mixture? Would love to try this!
Old 04-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #1732
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
That looks really good, Gina! How would you compare the flavor/texture of your crust with a high-carb crust? And how did you thicken the chicken/vegetable mixture? Would love to try this!
It was pretty close in flavor and texture of regular crust, it was just more fragile. I loved it so much that I ate two servings.

I made the chicken gravy using about a tbsp of oat flour and about 1 tsp of Glucomannan and it was very yummy, thick and rich.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #1733
Major LCF Poster!

Italian Cookies

My grandmother made Italian Anise Cookies, Pizzelles and Rum Cookies every Christmas so these hold great memories for me. The Italian Cookies were always my favorites and these come really close to the real thing, they're just missing the colored sprinkles on top. I used powdered xylitol mixed with a touch of cream for the glaze to dip them in.

Italian Cookies

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup white sugar

3 eggs

1 to 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or anise

1 1/2- 2 cups BTF (you want a soft dough)

2 teaspoons baking powder

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets or use parchment paper.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Mix in the egg and vanilla. Combine the flour and baking powder; stir into the creamed mixture until blended. Divide dough into walnut sized portions. Roll each piece into a rope and then shape into a loop, or just use a tbsp to make rounds. Place cookies 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm and golden at the edges.

Click pic to enlarge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (47.2 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 04-12-2013 at 01:32 PM..
Old 04-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #1734
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Gina, I just saw a recipe for colored sprinkles made out of coconut on the Ketocook blog.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #1735
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Gina, I just saw a recipe for colored sprinkles made out of coconut on the Ketocook blog.
Are they like nonpareils or more like a sanding sugar type of sprinkles? We always used the nonpareils for these cookies.

I will have to check it out. Thanks
Old 04-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #1736
Major LCF Poster!

Corn Dogs!!

I got the idea to make these from reading the corn bread thread and I had hot dogs that needed to be used up. The onion ring batter worked so well, so I decided to take a high carb recipe and use the BTF mix in place of the flour. These came out amazing!! Light and crisp and they are addicting.

My family was never big on corn dogs. When we went to the fairs we always got the fried dough, pizza and fries. So, I really don't have much experience with making corn dogs but I think they were very tasty.

I didn't have any sticks so I just cut them in half and deep fried them. I fried them in a pot on the stove with the heat on medium high.

Corn Dogs

1 cup yellow cornmeal

1 cup BTF mix

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup sugar (I used xylitol and Splenda)

4 teaspoons baking powder

1 egg

1 1/2 cups milk or enough to make a thick batter.

1 quart vegetable oil for frying

16 hot dogs

16 wooden skewers

Directions

In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, sugar and baking powder. Stir in eggs and milk.
Preheat oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat. Insert wooden skewers into frankfurters. Roll frankfurters in batter until well coated.
Fry 2 or 3 corn dogs at a time until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels

Click on pic to enlarge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (40.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 04-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #1737
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Gina, what did you use for cornmeal, or should I reference onion rings?

Thanks,
Janie
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #1738
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Gina, what did you use for cornmeal, or should I reference onion rings?

Thanks,
Janie
I used ground popcorn that I grind in my coffee grinder.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #1739
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Thanks, Gina!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #1740
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Mmmmmm Gina those corn dogs look so yummy! I saw Carolyn K. recently posted a corn dog recipe and I was hoping someone would try something similair using the BTF. I will try these my son loves corndogs, you're awesome!
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote