Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #1681
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 31, 2003
Interesting...I will look for a more cone-shaped dish and cover the one I have until I find such a thing. Thank you both.
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #1682
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
I find sometimes if you cover the baking dish the steam will cook the middle better and not dry out the sides as much...Try putting a plate on top of your dish or using plastic wrap with a hole poked in it...just make sure the dish is deep enough so the batter doesn't touch the cover when cooking and rising.
"Cover the dish!" I didn't think of that! Good idea.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #1683
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Callieco
Start Date: 020110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post

These were really good!! I filled some with cut up cooked chicken and broccoli, then spooned on alfredo sauce, rolled the crepes up and sprinkled cheddar on top.

I sweetened the left over batter and added vanilla to make sweet Crepes and spread with sweetened cream cheese then spooned strawberry sauce over it and topped with whipped cream.

I cooked the Crepes on my pancake maker because I wanted to make more than one at a time.

Crepes

Ingredients
1 cup BTF
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter melted

Directions
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, water, salt and butter. Slowly sift in the flour a little at a time while whisking until all the flour is mixed in and the batter is smooth. Add more water as needed, it should be a runny batter.

Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side. Stack crepes with paper towels in between.

OMG a pancake maker? Well crepe - now I want one of those too.

One of my all time favorite things to eat is (well was) crepes with sweetened ricotta and wild blueberry sauce. I haven't had it in forever. Every time I go to a breakfast place I want to order the crepes and can't . Now I can have them again. Thanks Gina. You are doing all the heavy lifting for us.
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #1684
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I love my pancake maker, I use it for everything! Besides pancakes, I fry eggs, meats, fish, veggies, grilled cheese, anything you would fry in a pan. It's great for one or two servings.

I hope you like the Crepes, it was my first time making them, even my kids enjoyed them.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #1685
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Gina-I have never seen anything like your pancake maker--can you share the name or source? I am a gadget junkie-but I am liking that you can make so many things on/in it! I would love to see another pic of it also! thanks so much!
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #1686
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Corvettebuff
Stats: 175/1160/150
Start Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbatchelor View Post
Gina-I have never seen anything like your pancake maker--can you share the name or source? I am a gadget junkie-but I am liking that you can make so many things on/in it! I would love to see another pic of it also! thanks so much!
I bet amazon has them I live in a rural area so amazon is my go to place for lots of things. I need this gadget too..lol Those look so good of course today is my DD so everything looks good. I will make these for sure. Susan
Corvettebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #1687
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Hayneedle is having a sale now. I know because I just returned a product there that I got as a gift. I am just the opposite of you about gadgets- I am from the Alton Brown camp. I like multi-tasker products. I think part of it is I don't have storage for all the goodies. They have a french toast stick maker, a brownie maker, pancake, donut, etc. Have fun!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #1688
Major LCF Poster!

Mine is the Kitchen Selectives Over Easy Pancake Express and I bought it at Walmart but it looks like its not in stock there anymore, but it is at target.

Here's what it looks like, the bottom is concave and the top is flat, you can cook on both the top and bottom, as well as closed. When making pancakes you put the batter in the bottom then when the bottom is done you close it then flip and it cooks the other side of the pancake. It's really easy to use, and like I said it has many uses. My mom bought one after visiting because she liked it so much.
My kids like using it as well.

Click on image to enlarge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (16.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 03-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #1689
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Gina-I have super limited space also--but those crepes are so calling my name! we live in Mayberry--Target is an hour away-but one of these days! thanks again! I will be looking for it!
Old 03-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #1690
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Corvettebuff
Stats: 175/1160/150
Start Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Thanks Gina-I have super limited space also--but those crepes are so calling my name! we live in Mayberry--Target is an hour away-but one of these days! thanks again! I will be looking for it!
Gina I couldn't help but chuckle when you said you lived in Mayberry. I kind of do also that is why amazon is my best friend. 20 miles any direction to a grocery store. But we are used to it and I love it here so you learn to make lists ahead of time before you make the trip. Susan
Corvettebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #1691
Major LCF Poster!

Susan-same here-we finally got a super Walmart and we thought we had hit it big!! lol--I love Netrition and Amazon for all the same reasons!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #1692
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
HI OUIZOID,
I have finally/tried to made your cinnamon bun/cake using your first post.

I did not know how much liquid to add, as you mentioned 1/2 cup but probably needing more due to coconut flour.
Most folks also said that it was like a cake like batter.
Well I ended adding up almost 3/4 cup of which I only used 1/4 Davinci and another 1/2 cup of water to a total of 3/4 cup!!! (that's cake like).
I used a 3 1/2 inch and 4/1/2 inch high corning ware cup...well that thing kept rising until it pushed the plate on top (Folks here also said to cover to prevent uncooked centers, which I always seem to get) off.....after 3 minutes it still was moist, and I had to add another 20 seconds to the time also.
I added 2 tsp cinnamon as I was not sure how much you used.
Could you tell us a little more specifics ( i was trying to have breakfast with it) as to how much cinnamon you used, and the proportion of Davinci for a savory bun/muffin, and how large a dish(or 2) please?
I cut off a piece and had it with a generous slab of butter....was delish!!!....thanks again.
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #1693
Senior LCF Member

If you like Italian Rum Cake you are going to love this

I made Gina's yellow cake recipe. I used individual deep dish, straight sided custard cups instead of a cake pan since they seemed best to hold the toppings.

After the cake is done and cooled, brush it with rum depending on how much rum taste you want. You can also make a rum syrup if you want it sweeter by mixing 1/4 cup rum, 1/3 cup water and 1/2 cup sweetener- heat until sweetener is melted and when cool brush on cake. The cake is sweet enough to me so I used straight rum and lots of it

Make a package of vanilla pudding using low carb milk or cream and water.
Layer the pudding the on cake. When you're ready to eat it top with whipped cream and toasted slivered almonds.

This was one of my all time favorite low carb desserts. However, I don't like eating Jello sugar free pudding because of the aspartame so next time I'm going to make the real Italian pastry cream.

I think you could make a variety of cakes using different flavors of liquor or splenda syrups and puddings. Lemon syrup with lemon curd
Old 04-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #1694
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Do you have a recipe for low carb Italian Pastry Cream? I'd love to have it if you do.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #1695
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
Do you have a recipe for low carb Italian Pastry Cream? I'd love to have it if you do.

I don't have one but I'm going to try low carbing this one. I found this recipe online and I think it would be fairly easy to make low carb.

3 Tbs sugar (sub low carb sweetener)

3 egg yolks

3 Tbs flour (all purpose is fine to use) (I was thinking about trying the BTF mix as a thickener or glucomannan if that didn't work)

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

2 Cups whole milk ( for richness) (I'd use a low carb milk or cream thinned with some water)

1 Tbs butter

1. Mix Sugar, egg, flour & Vanilla in a saucepan.
2. in separate Pan, Scald Milk.
3. "Very Slowly pour milk over egg yolks" in a thin stream as to not Cook the eggs. Beating constantly with mixer.
4. Cooking over low heat, stir with wooden spoon, until mixture reaches boiling point. Cook for 4 min longer, must stir constantly.
5. Remove pan from heat, add butter, and stirr well.
Pour into Bowl Cover and Chill . Stir occasionally to prevent film from forming on top of custard cream.
6. chill 3-4 hrs til very thick for use as filling.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #1696
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
That sounds delicious! Please keep us posted on how that recipe works out for you.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #1697
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Oh, my, Callieco, that cake sounds wonderful. I'd like to try this one!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #1698
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: christyjo
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 8/08
Used Gina's yellow cake again with a few tweaks for pineapple upside down cupcakes. 18 of these delectable little things from the mix. My non-low carb neighbors loved them.

Homemade Yellow Cake

2 Cups BTF Mix
1 1/2 Cups Sugar ( I used 1/2 Cup xylitol and 1 1/2 cups pineapple sf syrup)
1/2 Cup Non-Fat Dry Milk
1/2 Cup Water
2-3 teaspoons Vanilla ( I used 1 T. Buttery Vanilla Emulsion)
1/2 Cup Butter softened
3 Large Eggs

1 20oz. can crushed pineapple, drained
brown sugar sub
1/2 stick melted butter

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and non-fat dry milk.

Add water, vanilla, butter, and eggs. Combine with an electric mixer then beat two more minutes.

Place 18 foil baking cups in cupcake pans or on a cookie sheet.
Add 1 teaspoon melted butter, 1 teaspoon brown sugar sub, and one tablespoon of crushed pineapple to the bottom of each cup.
Pour the batter over the top, they will be pretty full.

I baked at 350 for 30 minutes.

I don't have any pineapple flavoring, but it would probably be a good additive and just adjust the sweetener/water to keep at Gina's ratios, it works so well. Coconut flavoring could give a pina colada type flavor.

Thanks again Gina and all contributors to this thread!

christyjo
christyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #1699
Major LCF Poster!

Callieco that rum cake sounds amazing!! I think you're right about making different flavors of cake. I was thinking a strawberry cake would be nice with some strawberry flavoring. Lemon sounds yummy, red velvet, so many cakes, so little time!! I would try a carrot cake but the Chicken Ladies carrot cake is so good.

Christyjo, what a great idea making pineapple upside down cupcakes, and using the pineapple syrup for part of the liquids too!!

Reading these yummy recipes is making me want to go bake a cake!! lol
Old 04-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #1700
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
Question about Dried Egg Whites

I wondered if it's possible to use fresh egg whites in place of the dried ones. The dried are so expensive. If you can then I wondered how many you would use in place of the amount for the recipe?
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #1701
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy G View Post
I wondered if it's possible to use fresh egg whites in place of the dried ones. The dried are so expensive. If you can then I wondered how many you would use in place of the amount for the recipe?
Don't know about the fresh egg whites, but you can buy a large container of egg white protein powder such as Now brand for a decent price considering how large it is. It is 100% egg whites. The dried egg whites in smaller containers such as Deb El (sp?) are much more expensive for the amount you get.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #1702
Senior LCF Member

I think the BTF recipe calls for egg whites. Can you use egg white protein in it's place? I'm confused.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #1703
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Yes, you can. Check the container directions in the fine print in the nutritionals. From those directions on the can that I just looked up here it says: "This powder can be used in cooking recipes by mixing two tablespoons of powder with six tablespoons of water to equal two egg whites."

The Unflavored of course.

Last edited by watcher513; 04-06-2013 at 09:08 PM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #1704
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
If you're talking about the original recipe in the first post I would use one fresh egg white in place of the egg white powder.

Quote:
I think the BTF recipe calls for egg whites. Can you use egg white protein in it's place? I'm confused.
The egg white protein I have is just powdered egg whites so it can be used for the egg whites in the recipe.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #1705
Major LCF Poster!

I finally tried the pea protein powder and am so happy with it!! No funny taste and it works exactly like the whey protein powder! I made a little microwave cake to test it and it was yummy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (35.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 04-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #1706
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=Ginaaaaaa;16359292]If you're talking about the original recipe in the first post I would use one fresh egg white in place of the egg white powder.

Thank you Gina! That makes sense. I looked at the recipe and it looks like one egg equals 1 tbsp. egg white powder.

I love this mix!
Old 04-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #1707
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyjo View Post
Used Gina's yellow cake again with a few tweaks for pineapple upside down cupcakes. 18 of these delectable little things from the mix. My non-low carb neighbors loved them.

Homemade Yellow Cake

2 Cups BTF Mix
1 1/2 Cups Sugar ( I used 1/2 Cup xylitol and 1 1/2 cups pineapple sf syrup)
1/2 Cup Non-Fat Dry Milk
1/2 Cup Water
2-3 teaspoons Vanilla ( I used 1 T. Buttery Vanilla Emulsion)
1/2 Cup Butter softened
3 Large Eggs

1 20oz. can crushed pineapple, drained
brown sugar sub
1/2 stick melted butter

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and non-fat dry milk.

Add water, vanilla, butter, and eggs. Combine with an electric mixer then beat two more minutes.

Place 18 foil baking cups in cupcake pans or on a cookie sheet.
Add 1 teaspoon melted butter, 1 teaspoon brown sugar sub, and one tablespoon of crushed pineapple to the bottom of each cup.
Pour the batter over the top, they will be pretty full.

I baked at 350 for 30 minutes.

I don't have any pineapple flavoring, but it would probably be a good additive and just adjust the sweetener/water to keep at Gina's ratios, it works so well. Coconut flavoring could give a pina colada type flavor.

Thanks again Gina and all contributors to this thread!

christyjo
I tweaked this today and it came out beautifully. I used a mix of erythritol and molasses as a bornw sugar sub, and then put a ring of canned pineapple in the bottom of a jumbo silicone muffin pan (melted butter in bottom of each portion). I added a little extra whey PP as I did not have dried milk, and tweaked the liquid amounts a bit. I used water and maybe a quarter or half cup of 1/2 and 1/2 to get the total amount (should have written it down!).

It turned out absolutely lovely and it was even very pretty. The rings fit perfectly in the bottom of the silicone jumbo muffin pan, so it made the whole dessert look extra beautiful.

THis one is a keeper. I thought it was very much like a HC pineapple upside down cake, although I haven't had a piece of that in years. It reminds me of my childhood though!

I had enough batter left to make a single 8 or 9 inch plain yellow cake too. I am not sure what size pan I actually have without measuring.
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #1708
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I looked at Netrition's egg white protein powders and the ones that they have the nutrition information for say that they have xylitol, stevia (which I cannot abide in any form) and flavoring. Does the unflavored have sweetening and other ingredients? I couldn't find any nutrition info on Jay Robb's unflavored.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #1709
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
I tweaked this today and it came out beautifully. I used a mix of erythritol and molasses as a bornw sugar sub, and then put a ring of canned pineapple in the bottom of a jumbo silicone muffin pan (melted butter in bottom of each portion). I added a little extra whey PP as I did not have dried milk, and tweaked the liquid amounts a bit. I used water and maybe a quarter or half cup of 1/2 and 1/2 to get the total amount (should have written it down!).

It turned out absolutely lovely and it was even very pretty. The rings fit perfectly in the bottom of the silicone jumbo muffin pan, so it made the whole dessert look extra beautiful.

THis one is a keeper. I thought it was very much like a HC pineapple upside down cake, although I haven't had a piece of that in years. It reminds me of my childhood though!

I had enough batter left to make a single 8 or 9 inch plain yellow cake too. I am not sure what size pan I actually have without measuring.
I couldn't edit, but I wanted to add that I don't like buying the powdered egg whites. I used them for the last BTF mix, but this time I just used an extra egg white in the yellow cake/pineapple upside down cake (so 3 eggs called for plus an extra white). Worked out just fine in that particular recipe.
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #1710
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: at_last
Stats: 164/115/112 5'2"
Start Date: October 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
I looked at Netrition's egg white protein powders and the ones that they have the nutrition information for say that they have xylitol, stevia (which I cannot abide in any form) and flavoring. Does the unflavored have sweetening and other ingredients? I couldn't find any nutrition info on Jay Robb's unflavored.
I bought the NOW brand unflavored eggwhite protein powder. It works great and has no artificial sweetener or flavor. The only ingredient is egg whites.
at_last is offline   Reply With Quote