Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #1651
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
[QUOTE=Ginaaaaaa;16319391
You could try replacing some of the BTF mix with coconut flour or almond flour.
If using more coconut flour you will need extra eggs and/or liquids.[/QUOTE]

Gina beat me to it, I would say the same thing.
Tweaker Geek is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #1652
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I decided to try making onion rings with the BTF mix using my old onion ring batter and they came out really good!! They were light and crispy. It makes a LOT of batter so you may want to cut the recipe in half unless you're making them for a big crowd. I only used 2 small-medium onions and still had PLENTY of batter leftover. You could leave out the onion powder to save on carbs. I may try using less corn meal next time too. I didn't time them, I just cooked until golden brown.

Onion Ring Batter

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups BTF 19.2 net carbs
3 tablespoons Cornmeal 21g carbs
3 tablespoons Onion Powder ( I used 2 tablespoons) 15g net carbs
2 teaspoons Salt
1 1/2 cups Milk ( I used calorie countdown) 6g carbs
1 Egg
1 cup Water or more as needed

Directions:
Blend all ingredients well. Coat onion rings in BTF then dip into the batter. Fry a few at a time allowing room so they don't stick together. I just used a pan on the stove top heated on medium high heat. I needed to add more water to the batter because it thickened up.

61.2 carbs for the batter, does not include the onions.

Click photo to enlarge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.4 KB, 46 views)
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:13 PM   #1653
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Gina! Those look just amazing! You are such a great lab rat!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #1654
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
OMG, they DO look amazing! Coating foods for frying was gonna be my next experiment with the BTF mix. Can't wait to try it used this way.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #1655
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Gina, you read my mind! I was gonna try onion rings, but having never made them before, I wouldn't have thought of using the corn meal. Glad you tried them and they came out so well. Right now I'm flat on my back with a wrenched back from loading 40-lb bags of salt in the car yesterday, so I'll have to wait another day for the onion rings.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #1656
Major LCF Poster!

I can't believe how light and crispy they came out. Nobody would know that these weren't made with real flour. They reheat really well too. I heated them up in my halogen table top cooker on 350 for about 5-7 minutes and they were just like I had just made them.

I want to try this batter on chicken but I'm out of oil right now. Usually I have plenty but go figure, when I need oil I'm out lol.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #1657
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Well, I'm happy!! I made pot pies for my very first BTF project and they were wonderful. Then I whipped up Callieco's bread but I didn't have any oat flour so I subbed Wheat protein isolate for that. It was really good too but I'm going to get the oat flour so I don't have to use wheat at all.

Thank you everybody, especially Ouizoid, for the fabulous flour alternative!!
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #1658
Major LCF Poster!

Crepes

These were really good!! I filled some with cut up cooked chicken and broccoli, then spooned on alfredo sauce, rolled the crepes up and sprinkled cheddar on top.

I sweetened the left over batter and added vanilla to make sweet Crepes and spread with sweetened cream cheese then spooned strawberry sauce over it and topped with whipped cream.

I cooked the Crepes on my pancake maker because I wanted to make more than one at a time.

Crepes

Ingredients
1 cup BTF
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter melted

Directions
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, water, salt and butter. Slowly sift in the flour a little at a time while whisking until all the flour is mixed in and the batter is smooth. Add more water as needed, it should be a runny batter.

Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side. Stack crepes with paper towels in between.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #1659

Ok, yesterday I made 2 batches of bread. The first batch was perfect! The 2nd batch was real thin and totally different. The only thing I did differently was added a little onion powder to the 2nd batch. I must've done something else wrong too, but I sure don't know what. I was in sort of a whirlwind so who knows.

Then I made Gina's yellow cake (half recipe) and made a pineapple upside down cake. It was really good!
But, my DHs BS was up even 3 hours after eating a piece? Not sky high, but higher than he's used to it being. And he's having problems with major bloating. I told him maybe from the extra fiber, but it's not bothering me at all.

Anyway, so far, so good on my end products. We did eat the bread that didn't turn out so well, so it was not a total loss. It was just different.

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
Old 03-19-2013, 06:32 AM   #1660
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Corvettebuff
Stats: 175/1160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
Ok, yesterday I made 2 batches of bread. The first batch was perfect! The 2nd batch was real thin and totally different. The only thing I did differently was added a little onion powder to the 2nd batch. I must've done something else wrong too, but I sure don't know what. I was in sort of a whirlwind so who knows.

Then I made Gina's yellow cake (half recipe) and made a pineapple upside down cake. It was really good!
But, my DHs BS was up even 3 hours after eating a piece? Not sky high, but higher than he's used to it being. And he's having problems with major bloating. I told him maybe from the extra fiber, but it's not bothering me at all.

Anyway, so far, so good on my end products. We did eat the bread that didn't turn out so well, so it was not a total loss. It was just different.
Sandy I love your signature! Boy isn't that the truth...
Corvettebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #1661
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gina - the onion rings and crepes look great. I love onion rings! I've never made crepes but those strawberry ones really appeal to me, may have to try them sometime.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #1662
Major LCF Poster!

Tweaker, the onion rings were amazing!! I didn't even want to share them with my kids lol.
They were easy to make but messy, I think frying with a batter gets messy anyways, at least for me it does. Next time I think I will get the onions all battered and then start frying. I'm going to get some haddock to fry next!!

It was my first time making Crepes too. Making them in my pancake maker was easy, they didn't stick at all plus they were small and easy to flip, that was the only downside was how small they were, they still tasted yummy though!!

I think the secret to making Crepes is to have a really nice non stick pan and a big enough spatula to flip them over. When you see bubbles on the top of the crepe flip it over. The bottom doesn't need to cook as long as the top because the batter is so thin, it's mostly cooked by the time it gets flipped. You also want to keep a pretty low heat so the bottom doesn't get too dark.

I'm thinking about buying a good crepe pan, I can see myself making them a lot because they can be made both savory and sweet.

More onion rings!! In the pic of the crepe on the bottom you can see the tiny bubbles forming on the top, that's when you know it's time to flip it.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #1663
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Gina, I'm sorry, is there a pancake recipe here? That sounds great and I want to try it!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #1664
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Cindy, the bottom pic is a pic of the Crepes I made and the recipe is post #1658 a few posts up. I'm not really sure, but I think you could make pancakes out of this recipe as well by using less water.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #1665
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG, Gina - the first rings look great but the second ones make me want to grab them right off the screen!! Thanks for the detailed explanation on the crepes, I'd like to give them a try at a later time.

You've got to stop doing this to me - I've got a fridge full of leftovers plus that cheesecake I made so I can't cook anything the rest of the week - I need to eat what I've got! This board could be hazardous to one's health, especially with all the great cooks posting so many wonderful recipes.

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Old 03-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #1666
Major LCF Poster!

I know what you mean, all the amazing recipes people post make it hard to stay on track for sure!!

I will try to take a break, but just to warn ya I'm planning on making a cute cake for when my sister comes this weekend. You know I will have to post a pic if it comes out good! lol
Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #1667
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I know what you mean, all the amazing recipes people post make it hard to stay on track for sure!!

I will try to take a break, but just to warn ya I'm planning on making a cute cake for when my sister comes this weekend. You know I will have to post a pic if it comes out good! lol
I know it will come out good so I'll be watching for the recipe and pic (another treat that I will just have to make!
Old 03-20-2013, 01:36 AM   #1668
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
I just use an 8" non-stick frying pan for crepes (and omelets). Perfect size for us. Usually for crepes the trick is to refrigerate the batter for 30-60 minutes. Would that work for this batter?

Last edited by watcher513; 03-20-2013 at 01:40 AM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:13 AM   #1669

I've never had good luck with crepes. The turning part always messes me/them up. And I love them! But finally gave up.

Does anybody eat something made with the BTF every day? And if so how many servings? And how is it effecting your weight?
Old 03-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #1670
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1annewil
Stats: 165/156/150
WOE: Atkins/JUDD/Potato Hack/
I've been eating two big muffins made with butter/canola blend spread and half and half and a whole egg and blueberries-first page recipe. I've lost 4 lbs this week and not hungry. That's all I've been eating though.
1annewil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #1671
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
I just use an 8" non-stick frying pan for crepes (and omelets). Perfect size for us. Usually for crepes the trick is to refrigerate the batter for 30-60 minutes. Would that work for this batter?
I did read that but I wasn't sure if it would make a difference with this batter. It couldn't hurt to try it though! Let us know if you do.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #1672
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
This BTF mix worked great on my chicken. I pounded out some breasts and then put in a large ziplock and added a few tbsp of the mix and tossed it around to coat spand then pan sauted for a balsamic chicken dish and the chicken browned up awesome. I love this stuff. I am going to coat up some chicken wings the same way thei weekend and bake. Yum
Brendajm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #1673
Always on, slightly off

I know all of you experiment with this recipe WAY more than I do. Heck, I'm still using the original recipe on post #1! I did make the yellow cake, however and am going to do the pancakes but just did some experimenting this morning looking for an AM toast replacement and discovered something. When I decreased my sugar sub to 1t and added 3/4 of a teaspoon of kosher salt, the coconut flavor is almost gone and it tastes perfect to dip into eggs. I sliced a muffin into thirds and attempted to toast (it toasts a little) and think I have the perfect egg dipper for breakfast. Salt makes a world of difference.

My Avi is my horse Chakka and me Longview horse trials 5/14

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Cavanagh
Old 03-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #1674

Thanks Cindy, I really miss egg dipping too so I'm going to try this for sure!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #1675
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendajm View Post
This BTF mix worked great on my chicken. I pounded out some breasts and then put in a large ziplock and added a few tbsp of the mix and tossed it around to coat spand then pan sauted for a balsamic chicken dish and the chicken browned up awesome. I love this stuff. I am going to coat up some chicken wings the same way thei weekend and bake. Yum
is this the mix with the coconut flour or without? I've sort of come to the conclusion that the more I use coconut flour the more sensitive(in a bad way) i'm becoming to the flavour. Think the breading thing would work with the almond flour sub?
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:32 AM   #1676
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
I used the one with coconut flour. I did not Taste the coconut.
Brendajm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #1677
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
I know all of you experiment with this recipe WAY more than I do. Heck, I'm still using the original recipe on post #1! I did make the yellow cake, however and am going to do the pancakes but just did some experimenting this morning looking for an AM toast replacement and discovered something. When I decreased my sugar sub to 1t and added 3/4 of a teaspoon of kosher salt, the coconut flavor is almost gone and it tastes perfect to dip into eggs. I sliced a muffin into thirds and attempted to toast (it toasts a little) and think I have the perfect egg dipper for breakfast. Salt makes a world of difference.
My bad! 1/4t kosher salt, not 3/4t! If you are using table salt, I would use 1/8t. I also tried using club soda today for the liquid. It was denser (not what I was going for!) but it was much closer to a bread consistency. Dry but I only used 1/2 cup. Tomorrow will try 2/3 cup. Sliced it into 1/3rds, toasted it. Pretty close to bread. Need to make some chia gel tonight and add that for moistness.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #1678
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
Start Date: January 31, 2003
This muffin mix has been a life-saver for me. I used to wake up hungry in the middle of the night occasionally and would have trouble getting back to sleep, but since I've been having one of these (original recipe) almost every night as a snack, that no longer happens. So I am super thrilled - I needed something good, something filling, and extra low-calorie, and this is perfect.

But it never comes out quite the way I think it should. I microwave it in a 5 1/2 inch round glass dish and if the center gets even close to done, the sides are almost too dry to eat. It always poofs up in the middle, but the middle remains too raw. Any ideas about how I can fix this? I'm sure the problem is my microwave cooking skills. I rarely use it otherwise.
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #1679
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Originally Posted by sligh View Post
This muffin mix has been a life-saver for me. I used to wake up hungry in the middle of the night occasionally and would have trouble getting back to sleep, but since I've been having one of these (original recipe) almost every night as a snack, that no longer happens. So I am super thrilled - I needed something good, something filling, and extra low-calorie, and this is perfect.

But it never comes out quite the way I think it should. I microwave it in a 5 1/2 inch round glass dish and if the center gets even close to done, the sides are almost too dry to eat. It always poofs up in the middle, but the middle remains too raw. Any ideas about how I can fix this? I'm sure the problem is my microwave cooking skills. I rarely use it otherwise.
I use a 5" tall tapered glass dish that is maybe 2" on the bottom so that it comes out muffin shaped. You need more of a cone shape, I have found, so the center cooks. I cook it 2min 50 seconds.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #1680
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sligh View Post

I find sometimes if you cover the baking dish the steam will cook the middle better and not dry out the sides as much...Try putting a plate on top of your dish or using plastic wrap with a hole poked in it...just make sure the dish is deep enough so the batter doesn't touch the cover when cooking and rising.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote