Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #1621
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
Your best biscuit? Chocolate cake?

My ingredients for the BTF arrived!

My husband would like me to make a biscuit and a chocolate cake. I'd like to try a pie crust. There are a gazillion posts on this mix so I wondered if it was narrowed down to the best biscuit and chocolate cake recipe?

Did you ladies find that this mix makes your weight loss slow down? Also, it's pretty pricey to get started. How long did it last? Are you finding you order a new batch every month?

Thanks again for all your help!
Georgene
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #1622
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Try using egg white only, instead of the whole egg. Just whip it up til frothy, season as you like (I do the hot sauce thing too, have for many years!) and see if that will crisp it.

I've also learned that you need to lower the cooking oil temp when using LC ingredients, they all seem to brown faster.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #1623
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy G View Post

My husband would like me to make a biscuit and a chocolate cake. I'd like to try a pie crust. There are a gazillion posts on this mix so I wondered if it was narrowed down to the best biscuit and chocolate cake recipe?

Did you ladies find that this mix makes your weight loss slow down? Also, it's pretty pricey to get started. How long did it last? Are you finding you order a new batch every month?

Georgene
I would try the original recipe first then the chocolate cake.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #1624
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:

Georgene
That's exciting! Enjoy. i don't think anyone decided on the best recipes as it really is a matter of personal taste.

The mix itself didn't slow my weight loss down, but all the baking I was doing sure did! Most of the people baking are probably maintaining or controlling how much they bake. I was going a little crazy because I wanted to try everything! It's sooo good. So I am taking a break away for awhile until I get things under control.

My ingredients have lasted a long time, but I got big bags of Honeyville products. How long it lasts will depend on how much you get into the baking! Be careful, it is addictive because this is a wonderful mix. Post your results.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #1625
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I think Gina's yellow cake is my fave!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #1626
Senior LCF Member

French Toast question

Do you think you could use plain water instead of the sparkling water?

I can't wait to try this.

Georgene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
I did some experimentation today and used 4 different additives. Only one came out good enough to eat.

I tried adding 1 TBL of vital wheat gluten - awful, awful taste
Then tried vital wheat gluten with wheat bran - worse
Then buckwheat - what was I thinking??? (I was thinking I could use up all that awful stuff from my gluten free phase and somehow it would taste better )

Adding oat flour to the mix turned out the best. It was mild in flavor - it was on the bland side though. I think I would add salt and maybe a little vanilla or some kind of flavoring to the mixture next time.

The texture was great. It toasted crunchy on the outside - but denser inside than real toast..however, if I had a toaster oven I would have cut it thinner and toasted in that. I think it would have turned out nicely crispy. It does start to burn around the edges like all the low carb breads I've tried, but I wonder if it would still do that in a toaster oven.

It cuts thinly and holds up without crumbling or falling apart. I also made french toast with it - had a nice brown eggy outside and moist inside. Tasted as close as I've ever had to regular bread french toast.

1/4 cup Ouizoid's mix
1 TBL oat flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp equivalent sweetener (I used Tagatose-just got some)
1 egg
1 TBL oil
1/4 cup sparkling water

Mix all the dry ingredients together. Mix in the egg and oil. Add the sparkling water last, stir until well combined. Spray or grease whatever you're going to bake it in. I used the mini loaf pan and baked at 325 for 25 min or until firm to touch and browning on top.

1/2 toasted and 1/2 untoasted:

French toast:
Old 03-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #1627
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:

Georgene
Here's a couple of biscuit recipes that people like.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16189690

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16273690

I think there are a few 1 serving chocolate cake recipes posted. I have a chocolate cake recipe posted that came out really well, tastes just like regular high carb cake. My family enjoyed it. I'm not sure if anyone else on here has tried it yet though.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16287271

Here's a pie crust recipe

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16167010

You can find all the recipes in this thread in the sticky thread here

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...h-recipes.html

I'm not sure if you know this but you can search for recipes in the forum or thread that you want to find a recipe in. Search for recipes where it says "search this thread" at the top of the thread, its next to thread tools. You just type in what you're looking for and it will bring up posts with the search term. You can also do an advance search and if you know who posted the recipe you can search the name of the recipe and the person who posted it.

Here's the advance search

Low Carb Friends - Search Thread

As far as how often you need to order, Beverly said it best, it depends how much baking you're doing and how often you use the bake mix.

Quote:
Do you think you could use plain water instead of the sparkling water?

I can't wait to try this.

Georgene
I made this bread using just plain water and it worked fine. It makes wonderful French toast.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #1628
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Thanks for the several replies about the fried chicken. It looks like what I may have done wrong was to start the chicken frying at a too high temperature (the 360 I usually use for flour fried chicken). It browned way too fast, then I had to turn the temp way down low to compensate. The chicken came out too oily and too over-browned at the same time! I'm going to try again and start at a more moderate temperature (340?) and see if I can do it more evenly and get a crispy result. The flavor was spot on and the chicken was amazing the next day.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #1629
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
I made a blueberry pie for my kids today for Pi day (3/14). I used the mix for the first time to make the pie crust. It was great! I never bother with crusts on LC pies because I find most of them to not really be worth the effort. The BTF mix was wonderful. I want to try it with a quiche next. I am a pretty good cook but have always been terrible with pie crusts. My mom does a press out one, and this one kind of reminded me of that since I didn't have to roll it.

I'm excited to have this to work with now
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #1630
Senior LCF Member

I wondered which pie crust recipe you used?

I wonder if I could use my own pie crust recipe and use the BTF instead?
Old 03-15-2013, 03:30 AM   #1631
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Has anyone tried using the BTF mix to coat chicken and bake? I hate frying things on my stove. Too messy and my gallbladder sometimes gets mad.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:36 AM   #1632
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
Quote:
I wondered which pie crust recipe you used?

I wonder if I could use my own pie crust recipe and use the BTF instead?
I used this one. I don't like rolling, and it was the first one I came across. I was happy with it.

I'll cut and paste from the BTF recipes thread. All comments are Callieco's
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Pie crust-Callieco

This was the closest thing to a flour pie crust I've had since I started low carbing . It is really good. I added some almond flour but basically just used the mix and a regular pie crust recipe:

1/4 cup mix
2TBL almond flour
salt (to taste - I tend to like salty)
1/2 stick cold butter
3 TBL water

Mix the dry ingredients and cut the butter in until crumbly and well mixed. Add water - one tablespoon at a time and mix. The dough was wet but not sticky.

I put the dough into two 5" ceramic tart dishes and formed the crust with my fingers. Pricked with a fork and baked at 325 for about 25 min. I have an oven that never bakes the same way twice so your time might be different.

It's flaky and holds up really well. It stuck a little to the dish so I don't know if you could cut 'slices' but I made no bake cheesecakes with them and it was delicious - honestly I don't think I would have known they were low carb if I hadn't baked them myself. The coconut does seem to get stronger baking it like this though. I used Bob's Red Mill which has a pretty strong taste and smell. Still, amazing stuff.
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #1633
Senior LCF Member

French Toast

I made French Toast with the bread recipe and it turned out so good. I used Erythritol/Stevia sprinkled on top and SF syrup. I also sprinkled cinnamon in the egg mixture each time I dipped the bread.

I'm wondering if anyone has used beaten egg whites folded in to the pancake mixture? Mine was so thick. I remember I used to do this years ago when I was cooking low fat.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #1634
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

just a note on the yellow cake mix--I made it with the nonfat milk powder instead of the heavy cream I usually use, and I did not like the flavour at all. I immediately made another one (company tonight!) with cream (I buy those trader Joes whipping cream ready-pacs--so convenient!), an was much more pleased--tell me about your results using milk powder?
Old 03-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #1635
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
Ginas yellow cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
just a note on the yellow cake mix--I made it with the nonfat milk powder instead of the heavy cream I usually use, and I did not like the flavour at all. I immediately made another one (company tonight!) with cream (I buy those trader Joes whipping cream ready-pacs--so convenient!), an was much more pleased--tell me about your results using milk powder?
What are ready packs, are they powdered in a pkg that you have to add liquid to?
Or are they a concentrated liquid?
I am interested as I used full fat powdered whole milk from my Community Natural foods in western Canada....anything to improve the taste and I am in!
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #1636
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LifeIsGood2013
WOE: Intuitive Eating
Start Date: 4/2014
How Embarrassing!

I hate to admit this as it seems like such an easy recipe BUT mine was an epic fail

I followed the original recipe with these two exceptions. I used a whole egg instead of the egg white powder, and I used 2 Tbsp of flax meal instead of oat fiber. Oh and I added granular Truvia as my sweetener.

I split the batch in two and placed it into these little Pyrex clear glass ramekin-type bowls.

I put one bowl in the microwave for 2:55 and smoke started to fill the house!!! The bowl is blackened and my entire house smells like the bottom of an ashtray - no joke.

What or where in the world did I go wrong? I feel like such an idiot but I've got to laugh or else I'd cry

What type of bowl/pan do you put it in? How long do you think I should cook it in a microwave that is 1100 watts? Any other reason you can think of caused this to happen?

Help, anyone?

p.s. I did cook the other one for 1:00 minute (I'm either brave or stupid) and while it turned out okay, the glass Pyrex bowl was scorching hot when I removed it.

p.p.s.s. Maybe I need to change my name to Life ISN'T So Good (wink)

p.s.s. I'm pretty sure my one little bowl is ruined

Last edited by LifeIsGood2013; 03-15-2013 at 12:39 PM..
LifeIsGood2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #1637
Senior LCF Member

yellow cake ? or muffin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood2013 View Post
I hate to admit this as it seems like such an easy recipe BUT mine was an epic fail

I followed the original recipe with these two exceptions. I used a whole egg instead of the egg white powder, and I used 2 Tbsp of flax meal instead of oat fiber. Oh and I added granular Truvia as my sweetener.

I split the batch in two and placed it into these little Pyrex clear glass ramekin-type bowls.

I put one bowl in the microwave for 2:55 and smoke started to fill the house!!! The bowl is blackened and my entire house smells like the bottom of an ashtray - no joke.

What or where in the world did I go wrong? I feel like such an idiot but I've got to laugh or else I'd cry

What type of bowl/pan do you put it in? How long do you think I should cook it in a microwave that is 1100 watts? Any other reason you can think of caused this to happen?

Help, anyone?

p.s. I did cook the other one for 1:00 minute (I'm either brave or stupid) and while it turned out okay, the glass Pyrex bowl was scorching hot when I removed it.

p.p.s.s. Maybe I need to change my name to Life ISN'T So Good (wink)

p.s.s. I'm pretty sure my one little bowl is ruined
Are you talking about the yellow cake???
or Quizoids first batch of mix muffin type in the microwave? in thread no 1?

All I can deduce is that I "think" that I followed the recipe to the T and it was perfect.
I need egg white powder as it is crucial for me in high altitudes in my area.

I think the flax ( i am not a fan of the taste of flax - reminds me of whole grains and gluten, although it has no gluten! ) would change the texture of the result!
You need the Oat fiber to get that mouthfeel like cake/muffin.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #1638
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LifeIsGood2013
WOE: Intuitive Eating
Start Date: 4/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by majomor View Post
Are you talking about the yellow cake???
or Quizoids first batch of mix muffin type in the microwave? in thread no 1?

All I can deduce is that I "think" that I followed the recipe to the T and it was perfect.
I need egg white powder as it is crucial for me in high altitudes in my area.

I think the flax ( i am not a fan of the taste of flax - reminds me of whole grains and gluten, although it has no gluten! ) would change the texture of the result!
You need the Oat fiber to get that mouthfeel like cake/muffin.
I was referring to Quizoids in post #1 - haven't been able to locate the yellow cake recipe.....

I think the flavor and texture was fine with the flax although I am still trying to find the oat fiber locally, it's just the bowl darn near caught fire so I'm wondering what type of container (bowl, etc.) I should be using to nuke it in.
LifeIsGood2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #1639
Senior LCF Member

Ouizoids post #1

Quote:
I was referring to Quizoids in post #1 - haven't been able to locate the yellow cake recipe.....

I think the flavor and texture was fine with the flax although I am still trying to find the oat fiber locally, it's just the bowl darn near caught fire so I'm wondering what type of container (bowl, etc.) I should be using to nuke it in.
Even here in Canada, I have to order Oat Fiber online as I always get strange looks when I ask for it, then they run searching for Oat Bran (not) ....you will have to ask Ouizoid, but I suspect you might be able to use Oat flour but it has carbs.
I always use a ceramic or glass bowl (can't catch fire!!), and have not had problems.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #1640
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

you have to use the ingredients I listed in the original recipe or the chemistry is wrong. You can order the ingredients from Netrition or elsewhere (I get my oat fiber from honeyville). Flax just isnt the same

The whipped cream packs at Trader Joes are shelf stable little cartons of whipping cream. love em.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #1641
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
My son, who I haven't seen in 7 years came to visit so I am way behind on this thread

I made an Impossible Almond Joy pie today. Looks good but haven't tasted it yet so if it's any good I'll post the recipe.

Made Gina's yellow cake for my son and his wife but I made small ones, split them down the middle, put pudding in the center (real sugar pudding for them) and a chocolate ganache on top to make it similar to boston cream pie. It was deeelicious! They loved it.

Quote:

The thing about this mix is that the combination of ingredients is what makes it act like a flour sub. If you were subbing those for the ingredients in the flour I don't know that it would act the same - just don't think it would work. This is what is amazing about it - it really is a low carb baking substitute that acts like flour in most cases.
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #1642
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Hi all!!! I finally got my oat fiber today so I'm out of the gate!!!!! ding, ding, ding!!! Thank you to everybody for all the recipes and tips and advice. I can't wait to really get started. I made a few things last week but I was using oat bran until my oat fiber got here and it was making my scale do crazy things, lol. So now I'm ready to start trying some of these fantastic recipes!!
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:42 AM   #1643
Senior LCF Member

Poppy seed cake

Gina, how can I convert your yellow cake to lemon poppy seed cake?
Or anyone have advice?
Old 03-16-2013, 04:45 AM   #1644
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
I used the BTF for breading on catfish yesterday and then pan fried it. It was delicious--my family loved it.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #1645
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
I made Gina's yellow cake. My HC fiance has been gobbling it up non-stop! He even asked if I was making it again. It's rare that he asks for a LC food. He also said I could take this to a dinner, and no one would no the difference. It really is very good and, in my opinion, just like a HC yellow cake. Thanks so much for coming up with this recipe, Gina! I highly recommend this one.

Next time I make it I'm going to separate the eggs, whip the whites, and fold them in to see if I can get it a bit lighter in texture. Even if that doesn't get the cake lighter, I'm still 100% satisfied with it.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #1646
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:

Did you know that Gina put all the recipes in another thread for ease to us? They are in a sticky.......

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...h-recipes.html
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #1647
Senior LCF Member

BTF Waffles with a question

Oh my! I am LOVING this blend. I just hope I can make it stretch for a couple of months so I can afford to continue using it. :-)

I made my original recipes for waffles this morning but used 1 C. BTF and 1 C. Oatflour. I used 1/2 coconut milk and 1/2 water for the milk in the recipe. I had to add quite a bit more water to keep the consistency from getting too thick. That was before I checked the back of the oatmeal box and saw that 1/2 cup of oatmeal is 27 carbs which means my entire recipe had 54 carbs for just the oatmeal.

The recipe made 8 waffles which means each waffle had nearly 7 carbs with just the oats alone. Is that too high? We're not doing OWL but just trying to keep off of diabetic medicine by keeping our carbs low enough.

If it's too high what could I substitute the oat flour for?

Here is the recipe:
1 c. BTF mix
1 c. oat flour (oatmeal ground)
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. sweetener
2 eggs
1/2 c. oil
1 1/2 c. milk alternative (I used 1/2 c. coconut milk/1/2 c. water)
Add water until it's the consistency of waffle batter.

I made extra and will freeze them to see how they work when reheated in the toaster.

LOVE the BTF mix!
Old 03-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #1648
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
GrammyG - Just use 2 cups BTF mix.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #1649
Senior LCF Member

Yep. I could just use the 2 cups of the BTF mix. I was hoping to use something that cost a bit less so I could stretch the BTF mix though. Any ideas?
Old 03-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #1650
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by majomor View Post
Gina, how can I convert your yellow cake to lemon poppy seed cake?
Or anyone have advice?
You could just add some lemon extract and poppy seeds to the batter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miboje View Post
I made Gina's yellow cake. My HC fiance has been gobbling it up non-stop! He even asked if I was making it again. It's rare that he asks for a LC food. He also said I could take this to a dinner, and no one would no the difference. It really is very good and, in my opinion, just like a HC yellow cake. Thanks so much for coming up with this recipe, Gina! I highly recommend this one.

Next time I make it I'm going to separate the eggs, whip the whites, and fold them in to see if I can get it a bit lighter in texture. Even if that doesn't get the cake lighter, I'm still 100% satisfied with it.
I'm so glad you liked it! let us know if you try it with the whipped egg whites.

Quote:
Yep. I could just use the 2 cups of the BTF mix. I was hoping to use something that cost a bit less so I could stretch the BTF mix though. Any ideas?
You could try replacing some of the BTF mix with coconut flour or almond flour.
If using more coconut flour you will need extra eggs and/or liquids.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote