Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #1591
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
The nutritional info is already in the sticky thread, the last post in post #13. There's an included chart that Buttoni posted with her info as well, don't forget to subtract the fiber from the carbs to get the net carbs.

I can make a post just with the nutritional info if it would make it easier to find.
No, that is ok I just must have missed it some how...or maybe I thought I was looking at sticky and was in original thread...thanks.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #1592
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Sorry guys I've been very sick. Here is the recipe for cookies.

Peanutbutter cookies

1 c. BTF mix
1/2c. blanched almond flour
1/2 c. corn resistant starch ( or Hi-Maize )
1/2 butter or coconut oil softened
1 1/2 c. sweetner ( your choice )
2 eggs
1/2 c. peanutbutter
salt
1 tsp vanilla (I used 2 T. peanutbutter davincis syrup)
3/4 c. almond milk or CC or cream + water

combine in a large bowl all the dry ingredients and set aside, Cream butter , sweetener , peanutbutter , and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add
eggs and milk combine well. Add wet to the dry in 3 sections untill well combined.

Bake at 375 for 12 to 15 mins. Enjoy !!!!

Yes the corn resistant starch is critical so not to have a cakey cookie.

May we all live our life as long as we want!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #1593
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
feel better soon esther--thanks for the recipe--looks delicious--
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #1594
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Esther - thanks for the cookie recipe. I'm sorry to hear that you've been sick, feel better!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #1595
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Esther - thanks for the cookie recipe. I'm sorry to hear that you've been sick, feel better!
Esther, ditto - thank you for the recipe and I sure hope you'll be able to know soon that you are better.
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #1596
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Making a pineapple upside down cake with the yellow cake recipe--Keep your fingers crossed! I missed where it must have said it would fill 2 9" cake pans, and tried to fit it all into one. Had to drop back and kick and prepare pineapple, sugar sub and butter in a second pan! Smells wonderful cooking--Will report back with pictures in a little while.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #1597
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
Peanut butter cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Sorry guys I've been very sick. Here is the recipe for cookies.

Peanutbutter cookies

1 c. BTF mix
1/2c. blanched almond flour
1/2 c. corn resistant starch ( or Hi-Maize )
1/2 butter or coconut oil softened
1 1/2 c. sweetner ( your choice )
2 eggs
1/2 c. peanutbutter
salt
1 tsp vanilla (I used 2 T. peanutbutter davincis syrup)
3/4 c. almond milk or CC or cream + water

combine in a large bowl all the dry ingredients and set aside, Cream butter , sweetener , peanutbutter , and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add
eggs and milk combine well. Add wet to the dry in 3 sections untill well combined.

Bake at 375 for 12 to 15 mins. Enjoy !!!!

Yes the corn resistant starch is critical so not to have a cakey cookie.

Thanks very much for the recipe Ester, do get better soon.
Joanne
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #1598
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
Making a pineapple upside down cake with the yellow cake recipe--Keep your fingers crossed! I missed where it must have said it would fill 2 9" cake pans, and tried to fit it all into one. Had to drop back and kick and prepare pineapple, sugar sub and butter in a second pan! Smells wonderful cooking--Will report back with pictures in a little while.
How did your cake turn out, Diana? Today's my birthday and if I'd seen this earlier I might I have tried my hand at a pineapple upside down for birthday cake. As it is I had some cake in the freezer from several months ago that I just thawed and ate, just to say I had birthday cake- LOL, can't have a birthday without cake!! I'll be back to see your pictures.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #1599
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Tweaker!
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:06 AM   #1600
Major LCF Poster!

The cake was no less than awesome! I really can't tell it from the pineapple upside down cake my mother made from the old Betty Crocker cookbook back in the 50's.

I used Gina's yellow cake recipe exactly as written and poured the batter over pineapple rings I'd arranged in the bottom of the pan with a little butter and sugar (tagatose, because I wanted the caramelization). And yes, I did put maraschino cherries in the middle of the pineapples just for looks and for DH. Didn't eat those, though, don't even like them.

Pictures coming in a little while. And Happy Birthday, Tweaker!

Last edited by dianafoot; 03-10-2013 at 06:07 AM..
Old 03-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #1601
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Quote:
The cake was no less than awesome! I really can't tell it from the pineapple upside down cake my mother made from the old Betty Crocker cookbook back in the 50's.

I used Gina's yellow cake recipe exactly as written and poured the batter over pineapple rings I'd arranged in the bottom of the pan with a little butter and sugar (tagatose, because I wanted the caramelization). And yes, I did put maraschino cherries in the middle of the pineapples just for looks and for DH. Didn't eat those, though, don't even like them.

Pictures coming in a little while. And Happy Birthday, Tweaker!
I can't wait to try this cake. Thank you for your and Gina's experiments.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #1602
Major LCF Poster!

made a mistake and it won't let me delete this post--having a weird morning.

Last edited by dianafoot; 03-10-2013 at 07:28 AM..
Old 03-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #1603
Major LCF Poster!

Sorry these pictures aren't that great--the cake is quite beautiful in real life--and it has an excellent, moist, cakey texture. I baked it in two square 8"x8" pans and it took 35 minutes. The whole recipe (Gina's yellow cake) makes a lot of cake. I will cut it in half next time, since it is just DH and me eating it.

Last edited by dianafoot; 03-10-2013 at 07:31 AM..
Old 03-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #1604
Major LCF Poster!

Wow--those pictures came out huge! Photobucket has changed their processes and I'm climbing a learning curve here.

Last edited by dianafoot; 03-10-2013 at 07:28 AM..
Old 03-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #1605
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I LOVE the huge photos. That cake is a thing of beauty!!! Way to go. I cannot eat tagatose, and am ever-so-sad about it.But maybe I can come close to replicating it with something else. Beautiful!!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #1606
Senior LCF Member

On too much water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I'm afraid to change any of the brands I'm using for fear that I won't have such good results. I've been using the same ones since I started using this flour mix so I guess I will stick with them, although I may buy some Now Pea Protein and see if it works.

I can see by what you wrote about the water that your flour mix doesn't soak up as much liquid as mine does but I wonder why it came out too moist and gummy? It almost makes me think its the glucommanan. What brand are you using?

I know what you mean about low carb baking, I've sure had my share of not so good baked goods!!
Hi Gina,
BTW, There was mention of too much water in your yellow cake not completely baking(I had no problem).
I had just wanted to give a little explanation, that that happens alot based on the type of coconut flour, which does most of the absorbtion together with the egg.......I found some coconut flours absorb more than others so it is imperative that we know our brands of coconut flour as there are no controls over the different types...so some times I will wait to see if the coconut flour is absorbing enough of the liquid, and then hold back some water. I pretty much stick to the Sensato(silver BAG) and the tropical(black bag?), I have never had much success with ALoha NU, which I think is based on my hIgh altitude ZERO HUMIDITY region.
To sum up, it might well be the one that is the wild card in consistency?? I think? what do you think OUIZOID?
Old 03-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #1607
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by majomor View Post
Hi Gina,
BTW, There was mention of too much water in your yellow cake not completely baking(I had no problem).
I had just wanted to give a little explanation, that that happens alot based on the type of coconut flour, which does most of the absorbtion together with the egg.......I found some coconut flours absorb more than others so it is imperative that we know our brands of coconut flour as there are no controls over the different types...so some times I will wait to see if the coconut flour is absorbing enough of the liquid, and then hold back some water. I pretty much stick to the Sensato(silver BAG) and the tropical(black bag?), I have never had much success with ALoha NU, which I think is based on my hIgh altitude ZERO HUMIDITY region.
To sum up, it might well be the one that is the wild card in consistency?? I think? what do you think OUIZOID?
I am not Ouizoid, but I wanted to say that the coconut flour I am using is Aloha Nu, which doesn't seem to be in production any more. All of her recipes, as well as Gina's, work for me with this flour exactly as written. We should really have a discussion about which brands work/don't work or need to be tweaked with more or less liquid. Thanks for bringing this up!
Old 03-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #1608
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Diana - the cake looks wonderful! I would use the cherries too, they look so pretty on the cake. Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Drjlo - thanks to you, too!
Old 03-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #1609
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I use Bob's Red Mill. I have the exact opposite problem--I routinely need to add extra liquid to the recipes because the BRM coconut flour sucks up so much moisture.

Diana--that is a work of art!

TG--Happy happy birthday!
Old 03-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #1610
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/177 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
I am using the Alpha Nu also--I haven't had any issues using it with this flour mix at all! I am actually quite upset not to be able to obtain it anymore! I love it! I am hoping that it comes back in stock? hate to change something that is working for me--and I am out!

love the pineapple upside down cake!!! yummy!

Last edited by jbatchelor; 03-10-2013 at 06:46 PM..
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #1611
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: christyjo
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 8/08
You all too descriptive about this mix so... I just HAD to take a trip to the Honeyville store yesterday so I could get eggwhites and of course an extra bag of almond flour to keep on hand. While I was there, I found the 5 pound bag of coconut flour too, so I didn't have to stop and find Bob's. I made Callieco's peach upside down cake using Gina's cake recipe, and it is terrific! I used Ideal brown on the peaches and butter part, and probably left it too long in the pan after baking. I used a bundt pan, it took 55 minutes to bake. A bit of the edges and small pieces from the bottom stuck because I forgot to grease the pan. I didn't get the terrific caramel look that Callieco got but it is terrific, the cake part has just the slightest hint of coconut, and if you didn't know it was there you probably wouldn't notice. One can of the no sugar added peaches gave me the exact number of "slots" in my bundt pan so each piece has a peach. Thanks to Ouizoid for the mix , Gina and Callieco for the recipes, more endless possibilities. The Honeyville coconut flour was very fluffy and had a different scent than the one I had before, which was stronger.

Thanks again Ladies,

christyjo
christyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #1612
Senior LCF Member

Coconut flour

Hello everyone,
I was not implying that Aloha Nu was not good, just that I have a very very unique challenging area I live in so some ingredients might be the BomB for some areas and fail brutally bad in my high altitude and zero humidity area I live in in western Canada!!!!.....believe me it is "not" the best place for Baking!!
I am mainly here to aid others in "my" situation especially compounded with gluten-free and low carb baking, for successful stress free baking compared to low altitude baking folks.....you are so so lucky!!!!
We hear stories out here from experienced cooks with frustrating times, and so happy to move away so they can bake "real hassle free goodies" again.
I know of a very very successful gluten free baker(not even low carb) who was stumped at how to make their prized recipe work in my area of the country!!
I was so so happy to bake Gina's yellow cake with no sink hole in the centre for the very first time in years!!!!
So a huge huge thank you to Gina and Ouizoid, RVcook and many others for blazing the way with that wonderful mix of Ouizoids ,....thank you from the bottom of my heart....bless your hearts!
Joanne from Canada .

PS. Did anyone have success with this mix for bread buns, or a small panini/loaf?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #1613
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Wow--those pictures came out huge! Photobucket has changed their processes and I'm climbing a learning curve here.
I love big pictures! Easier to lick the screen!!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #1614
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I really understand your dilemma--I grew up in Aspen Colorado, where baking (or even boiling water) was super tricky! Good luck with your experiments.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #1615
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Corvettebuff
Stats: 175/1160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 2013
I saw a neat idea on facebook.They used a cupcake pan and put a slice of pineapple and cherry in it then added their cakemix. Well that would work for us using the flour mix for those of us who have no self will power and a whole cake would totally do me in.
Corvettebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #1616
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvettebuff View Post
I saw a neat idea on facebook.They used a cupcake pan and put a slice of pineapple and cherry in it then added their cakemix. Well that would work for us using the flour mix for those of us who have no self will power and a whole cake would totally do me in.

I saw that idea, too, on the page where I found the Betty Crocker recipe. I should have done that--now I have 20 pieces of cake to eat (minus the 4 I have already eaten!)

Last edited by dianafoot; 03-11-2013 at 11:59 AM..
Old 03-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #1617
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Diana, your cake looks yummy!!

I'm so happy to see all the good results people are having with my recipe!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #1618
Major LCF Poster!

I posted this in the "breaded" baked chicken thread, but thought I'd post here, too, to see if anybody had any suggestions for me:

I tried using ouiz's mix to fry chicken. I put some BTF in a bag along with a little salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning and shook the chicken pieces to coat them. Then I dipped the chicken into a mixture of egg and hot sauce (a la Paula Deen) and shook again in the flour. I heated the oil to 350 and put the chicken in. It browned really fast and I had to turn it over within a minute. I covered and let cook on low for about 10 minutes, turned once again and let cook another 10 minutes, and uncovered and let finish for 6-7 minutes. It was delicious, but not crispy-crunchy like flour fried chicken. It was more biscuit-y for want of a better word. I'm gonna keep trying!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #1619
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Quote:
I posted this in the "breaded" baked chicken thread, but thought I'd post here, too, to see if anybody had any suggestions for me:

I tried using ouiz's mix to fry chicken. I put some BTF in a bag along with a little salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning and shook the chicken pieces to coat them. Then I dipped the chicken into a mixture of egg and hot sauce (a la Paula Deen) and shook again in the flour. I heated the oil to 350 and put the chicken in. It browned really fast and I had to turn it over within a minute. I covered and let cook on low for about 10 minutes, turned once again and let cook another 10 minutes, and uncovered and let finish for 6-7 minutes. It was delicious, but not crispy-crunchy like flour fried chicken. It was more biscuit-y for want of a better word. I'm gonna keep trying!
After seeing Sharon's fried chicken, I tried to make it also. I just dipped chicken thighs in egg and then coated with BFT, added salt and pepper. I fried on low heat in olive oil, uncovered. Mine turned out crispy, like regular flour.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #1620
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
I made chicken-fried steak by Redeemed's method.
Dipped seasoned cube steaks in beaten egg thinned with a little water, then coated with BTF.
I cooked on low heat and they were crispy. Two thumbs up here.
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote