Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #1561
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Corvettebuff
Stats: 175/1160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 2013
Thanks Gina!
Corvettebuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #1562
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
TG-I didn't make your muffins yet(waiting for my order)but I did make your apple rings and put one in my microwave cinnamon muffin this morning and topped it with a glaze. It was really yummy!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (29.4 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 03-03-2013 at 11:15 AM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #1563
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divabunny View Post
Georgene -I tried one (chocolate), I think it was Pillsbury or Betty Crocker, anyway I thought it was awful. You'll get a much better frosting making it yourself imo.

I just made a pumpkin muffin, to 1/4 of mix I added canned pure pumpkin, pp spice, 4 packets of truvia, more BP and all CC milk for liquid. MUCH better taste this time, all I was missing was cream cheese frosting. I don't seem to be getting the loft everyone is getting (my bp is good so I know its not that) but I am getting nice little dense muffin finally!!

Also, it always seems to be slick on the bottom not, super wet just slick is that how its suppose to be?

Here it is w/butter on top.

Attachment 48783
I wondered how you make your own frosting?
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #1564
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I seem to notice people adding extra bp to a lot of the baked goods. Maybe that would help with loft.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #1565
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
Chicken Fried goodness

I remember someone posting about using BTF as a "chicken fried" coating for meats, but I don't remember a follow-up. I've been out feeling peckish, so not much cooking OR reading. I might have missed it?

My testimony is: AMAZING! These are humble cube steaks. I absolutely cannot tell the difference between regular flour and BTF. The only caveat, is.. don't forget (as I did) that there is salt in the basic BTF mix.. lol! I didn't make gravy, though I understand that you can. I just wanted something crispy, salty, and meaty to grab! I'll probably warm these as I eat them, in the oven, hoping to restore the original crispiness. Whatever! It will allll be eaten. I made 8.. haha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chickenfried.jpg (57.3 KB, 49 views)
Old 03-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #1566
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Sharon, those cube steaks look fabulous. It has always been a problem getting things crispy without wheat. I wonder which of the ingredients in the bake mix is making tis possible.

Last edited by Soobee; 03-03-2013 at 02:09 PM..
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #1567
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by slbbw View Post
I remember someone posting about using BTF as a "chicken fried" coating for meats, but I don't remember a follow-up. I've been out feeling peckish, so not much cooking OR reading. I might have missed it?

My testimony is: AMAZING! These are humble cube steaks. I absolutely cannot tell the difference between regular flour and BTF. The only caveat, is.. don't forget (as I did) that there is salt in the basic BTF mix.. lol! I didn't make gravy, though I understand that you can. I just wanted something crispy, salty, and meaty to grab! I'll probably warm these as I eat them, in the oven, hoping to restore the original crispiness. Whatever! It will allll be eaten. I made 8.. haha.
There is no salt in the basic mix?? So glad it worked for this purpose!!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #1568
Senior LCF Member

Oops!! I think I jumped to a conclusion! Lemme see.. I blame my current state of health, my failed marriage, and my mother!! My steaks were a bit too salty. My fault tho
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #1569
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Quote:

Sharon did you use the original mix as is? And did you dip in eggs then bread etc? Looks yummy!
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #1570
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:

ABSOLUTELY beautiful!!!! This is so exciting!!

Re: gravy. Someone said they had made gravy using BTF.
I made a dish of chicken thighs in a little butter in the oven.

I had a good deal of chicken fat/juice and butter left, put it in a pan, and added BTF, sort of got a roux, then Hood CC.

I did not care for my result. It was grainy and greasy. It did thicken up though.
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #1571
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Sharon those look amazing. Made me hungry. Susan
Old 03-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #1572
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
TG-I didn't make your muffins yet(waiting for my order)but I did make your apple rings and put one in my microwave cinnamon muffin this morning and topped it with a glaze. It was really yummy!!
Gina - glad you liked them1

Sharon - I don't even like cube steak and those look good to me! I'll have to give it a try with chicken breasts.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:48 AM   #1573
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
I'm doing a meat and egg fast and those cube steaks will fit the bill!! Thanks
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #1574
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divabunny View Post
Sharon did you use the original mix as is? And did you dip in eggs then bread etc? Looks yummy!
Used the original recipe. I seasoned each, coated lightly in BTF and shook off excess. Then, dipped in beaten egg and back for final coat in BTF seasoned with some cajun spices. That's regular veggie oil in the pan. Medium high heat. I watched an episode of Pioneer Woman the other day and I liked her no-nonsense approach with the same recipe (using flour, of course). Check hers out.
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #1575
Senior LCF Member

I know this is going to sound really weird but it was good. Last week before I decided I'm going to do the M/E for awhile. I made 1/4 cup of the mix in pyrex bowl size of cereal bowl. Added pumpkin pie spice cooked for 1 min because it was spread out didn't take long to cook. I took spoon and crumbled it up added cream to get my fat up and ate it like a bowl of cereal. Made me think of eating cake with milk on it like we did years ago. Next one I do will be a chocolate one and try it that way but it will be after I go off the M/E diet. I might try half and half next time it was pretty rich with cream only but good.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #1576
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elainesmith
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2010
We originally made the cube steaks coated in the BTF and fried, well actually my Mother did. She cooked it just like she always cooked them, just moist and dredge and season then fried on low heat. They came out perfect except WE salted the breading and the steaks. By NO WAY the fault of the BTF!!!!

She doesn't do LC at all...she eats ONLY bread and fruit! LOL Oh well, the BTF worked anyway and she actually like the cube steak she tasted. REMARKABLE!

Since we've tried it in other applications and it has worked....from breading to cakes to "mashed potato sub".

I CANNOT KEEP THIS STUFF MADE UP!!!!!

THANKS, Ouizoid, for your Marvelous flour. It has made our LC life richer and better.

Elaine
elainesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #1577
Senior LCF Member

Oh the salt confusion...salt was in the breading my Mother made and then the cube steaks were salted and peppered too!!! NOT in the BTF mix
Old 03-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #1578
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainesmith View Post
We originally made the cube steaks coated in the BTF and fried, well actually my Mother did. She cooked it just like she always cooked them, just moist and dredge and season then fried on low heat. They came out perfect except WE salted the breading and the steaks. By NO WAY the fault of the BTF!!!!

She doesn't do LC at all...she eats ONLY bread and fruit! LOL Oh well, the BTF worked anyway and she actually like the cube steak she tasted. REMARKABLE!

Since we've tried it in other applications and it has worked....from breading to cakes to "mashed potato sub".

I CANNOT KEEP THIS STUFF MADE UP!!!!!

THANKS, Ouizoid, for your Marvelous flour. It has made our LC life richer and better.

Elaine
How do you use it for mashed potatoes?
Old 03-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #1579
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvettebuff View Post
How do you use it for mashed potatoes?
Someone else mentioned the mashed potato sub also. Post#1429

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16284306
Old 03-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #1580
Major LCF Poster!

I thought adding it to mashed cauliflower might give the cauliflower more of a tater texture.
Just a thought as I have seen some add potato buds to thicken.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #1581
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
I thought adding it to mashed cauliflower might give the cauliflower more of a tater texture.
Just a thought as I have seen some add potato buds to thicken.
Tried this tonight...16 oz frozen cauliflower steamed in microwave til tender
drained and put in ninja with 1 oz cream cheese, garlic , onion, salt and 1 tbs BTF...thick and creamy mashed cauliflower...so good. I don't even care for mashed potatoes but was curious as some have had trouble making the mashed cauli...I loved this and I am hooked...so much better than potatoes.

I was wondering if anyone had figured out nutrition info for your original single batch of BTF. There are so many posts if I could be directed that would be great.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #1582
Senior LCF Member

Well I guess if I kind of made a cereal out of it I can also try mashed potatoes. We might change the name to Miracle Worker!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #1583
Senior LCF Member

mashed potato using BTF mix

We used a little bouillon powder, cream, pepper, butter and riced cauliflower to make a sorta chunky mashed potato dish...we were just experimenting.

We just mixed it to taste, I thought it might have been better with a few potato flakes but didn't have any...even without them it was better than just the cauliflower alone.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #1584
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Tried this tonight...16 oz frozen cauliflower steamed in microwave til tender
drained and put in ninja with 1 oz cream cheese, garlic , onion, salt and 1 tbs BTF...thick and creamy mashed cauliflower...so good. I don't even care for mashed potatoes but was curious as some have had trouble making the mashed cauli...I loved this and I am hooked...so much better than potatoes.

I was wondering if anyone had figured out nutrition info for your original single batch of BTF. There are so many posts if I could be directed that would be great.

Post #542, a slight deviation (unflavored PP) from Buttoni. About 3.9 net carbs.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #1585
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

This will be supper tonight for sure. I can't wait. Thanks for another great idea. You sure don't have to feel deprived anymore.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #1586
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Here is a link to the Fantastic Flour Mix Big Batch & Recipes sticky thread for your convenience: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...h-recipes.html

I've been experimenting with using powdered eggwhites in my flour mixes instead of adding eggs later. I love it! the goods I "bake" in the microwave puff up so high and the grain of the flour is so lovely. The recipe that follows makes an absolutely enormous "one minute muffin" I love the texture and I love how easily I can change the flavours. So far today, I made a pumpkin one and a blueberry one. Delicious!

Basic flour m

2 Tbs Oatfiber
2 Tbs coconut flour (60)
1 Tbs vanilla protein powder (30)
1 Tbs eggwhite powder (22)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder
1 Tbs erythritol (optional)
spices (optional--but is great with pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon)

To this I add a mixture of davinci SF syrup and water or almond milk. My mixture is about 1/2 cup to start, but because of the coconut flour, more liquid may be necessary. Experiment with it.

The one I made for lunch had 2 TBS pumpkin added. The one this afternoon had 1/2 cup blueberries.

I made a topping from 2 TBS ff cream cheese mixed with a little vanilla davinci's

Let me know if you try this. I just loved the texture and how filling it is for so little in the way of calories.
Is this mix gluten free
As the Oat fibre has traces of gluten?
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #1587
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
Post #542, a slight deviation (unflavored PP) from Buttoni. About 3.9 net carbs.
Thanks. I was scrolling through because I knew it had to be there and only got to page 8 because I kept stopping to reread ... so much info.

Maybe someone can post the approx nutrition info in the stick as I didn't see it there.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #1588
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
I just wanted to ask if anyone had posted their results with the resistant corn starch several people were talking about a while ago. Supposedly it would add crispiness to a baked product...what did you all do with it and did it improve your recipes that you used it in? Did you'll post your recipes?
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #1589
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I did use RCS in a cookie recipe. I replaced 1/4 cup of BTF with it. It may have contributed a bit more crispness, but I also use MCT oil as my fat in my cookie recipe, and in my opinion, it also gives crispness, at least on the bottom of the cookies.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #1590
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks. I was scrolling through because I knew it had to be there and only got to page 8 because I kept stopping to reread ... so much info.

Maybe someone can post the approx nutrition info in the stick as I didn't see it there.
The nutritional info is already in the sticky thread, the last post in post #13. There's an included chart that Buttoni posted with her info as well, don't forget to subtract the fiber from the carbs to get the net carbs.

I can make a post just with the nutritional info if it would make it easier to find.