Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #1501
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Great pics and recipes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevTN View Post
Ok...I am a noob to this type of cooking. I tried three times to do this but the dough was watery and nothing like a dough...the yeast looked right. I used almond flour/meal...

Any suggestions? Thx
My recipe was made using the Flour Mix, almond flour alone will not work for this pizza crust recipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
So Gina, the above recipe has 4T of butter AND 1/2 cup of oil?
Correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
Gina, what do you think would happen if one used all EZsweetz as the sugar sub instead of xylitol as well? Would it detract from the texture of the cake or would it simply affect the sweetness level?

I don't have xylitol or erithrytol(sp?), have only used sodium cyclamate and EZsweetz as sweeteners.
Splenda doesn't sweeten chocolate very well, it seems to make it bitter no matter how much is added. You can try it if you like but I don't like Splenda in chocolate recipes. I've never heard of sodium cyclamate so I can't help you with that.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #1502
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Splenda works well with other sweeteners for chocolate in my experience...just doesn't sweeten well alone...chocolate always tastes better with more than one sweetener used...but that is my opinion. Some may find that one sweetener works fine.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #1503
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
Splenda works well with other sweeteners for chocolate in my experience...just doesn't sweeten well alone...chocolate always tastes better with more than one sweetener used...but that is my opinion. Some may find that one sweetener works fine.
Oh good! I was wanting to add some EZ Sweetz to my yellow cake as it is almost sweet enough with my 1 cup of E/Tagatose/Stevia blend but the liquid Splenda will augment it when I try the chocolate cake.
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:04 AM   #1504
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KevTN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
It's ok Kevin. You can order those things from netrition here. They are impossible to find in a regular store. I made the pizza today and it was very good (tho I needed more liquid than the recipe called for. Almond flour won't work as well as my flour mix.
Thanks for your help...
KevTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:11 AM   #1505
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
So many people have mentioned the "coconutty" taste of the mix and the resulting baked goods. I use the mix with only coconut flour and never taste it at all, even in unsweetened applications.

I really wish I could remember where I got my coconut flour, because it was a brand recommended for its neutral taste. Does anyone use a brand that doesn't taste so strongly of coconut?
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:25 AM   #1506
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
So many people have mentioned the "coconutty" taste of the mix and the resulting baked goods. I use the mix with only coconut flour and never taste it at all, even in unsweetened applications.

I really wish I could remember where I got my coconut flour, because it was a brand recommended for its neutral taste. Does anyone use a brand that doesn't taste so strongly of coconut?
Okay, I'm answering my own question here: it is Aloha Nu coconut flour that I have been using. Trouble is, it seems like no one carries it any more. I honestly think that I have a little spy bubble that follows me around and removes anything from the shelf that I really like!
Old 03-02-2013, 05:53 AM   #1507
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
Oh good! I was wanting to add some EZ Sweetz to my yellow cake as it is almost sweet enough with my 1 cup of E/Tagatose/Stevia blend but the liquid Splenda will augment it when I try the chocolate cake.
Cindy you can use ez sweetz in your cake with other sweeteners just not ezsweets alone in chocolate.

I hope that helps.
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #1508
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Cindy you can use ez sweetz in your cake with other sweeteners just not ezsweets alone in chocolate.

I hope that helps.
That's what I plan on. Still the 1 cup of my blend of E/Tagatose/Stevia but adding ezsweets for additional sweetening. It is a REALLY a moist cake.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:32 AM   #1509
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Corvettebuff
Stats: 175/1160/150
Start Date: Jan 2013
Amazon has the Aloha Nu Coconut Flour
Corvettebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #1510
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvettebuff View Post
Amazon has the Aloha Nu Coconut Flour
Amazon is out of Aloha Nu coconut flour and has a message that you can be notified when they get it in. Aloha nu website just takes you to a picture of coconut oil if you click on "purchase" next to the flour--any size bag. I tried every website I could find and they were either out or said "... no longer carries this product"
Old 03-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #1511
Senior LCF Member

I just ordered it and it is to arrive March 5th...That is weird hope I didn't order the wrong thing
Old 03-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #1512
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
diana--I use Bob's Redmill coconut flour and I do not think it contributes much coconut flavour at all.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #1513
Senior LCF Member

Well I have to eat crow. I went back in my amazon and I see they have me down for something different it is a coconut flour but not the aloha coconut flour. I told them to cancel it. Well shucks!
Old 03-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #1514
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
diana--I use Bob's Redmill coconut flour and I do not think it contributes much coconut flavour at all.
I use it, too, and don't find much flavor with it.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #1515
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made gina's yellow cake today and used an old buttercream frosting by Kevinpa with a few subs:

This is my latest LC buttercream frosting.
I have found most people have varying ideas as to the sweetness and texture so the splenda and dairy can be adjusted to your liking.

1/2 cup powdered erythritol
1/2 cup resistant starch (wheat or corn)
1 to 2 tsp. splenda quick pack
1 tsp vanilla
3 to 4 T. cc milk or heavy cream
2 T. butter, softened
2 T. butter flavored crisco

Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl making sure all clumps are gone.
Cream together butter and shortening.
Whisk in dry ingredients until well incorporated.
Whisk in vanilla and dairy until you have the desired texture.

Makes almost 2 cups of whipped buttercream frosting.
Attached Thumbnails
Buttercream Frosting Question-dsc00036a.jpg

I did not have crisco so I used a couple of TBS of coconut cream instead. I used corn resistant starch with the powdered erythritol. I didn't use a splenda quick pak--just a few drops of ez sweets-- and I used some whipping cream. Came out awesome!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #1516
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Ouis,

I actually remember using that recipe. I wonder why I forgot about it. I remember Kevin added Lorann's Peanut Butter flavored oil for a peanut butter frosting. Thanks for the reminder!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #1517
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

by the way Gina, this is the best cake I have had in years, lowcarb or high carb. Unbelievable. It was light and high and the texture is just perfect. It is so hard to believe that this is a lowcarb recipe.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #1518
Senior LCF Member

Does someone know what the number post the cinnabon muffin is on? Thanks
Old 03-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #1519
Major LCF Poster!

I'm glad you liked it Ouis, I think it will be my birthday cake this year.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #1520
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I'm glad you liked it Ouis, I think it will be my birthday cake this year.
uhhh, I am going to have a hard time not making it my everyday cake
Old 03-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #1521
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
I am making Gina's cake with the berries like someone posted. I have frozen strawbs that I thawed and fresh blackberries that I got today. I will serve it with whipped cream tomorrow. YUMMMMMMM
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #1522
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

question for those of you uploading photos. Is there a iphone app that will let me upload photos and give me a link that I can paste here? It is so tedious to always go and hook my phone to my laptop etc etc. Looking for a shortcut using only my smartphone--anyone??
Old 03-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #1523
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
I've been traveling for most of a month now and it is KILLING me to read all these wonderful recipes and not have the tools to try them or work on some of my own!

But Ouis - gotta tell you this - I mixed up a x24 batch of BTF and have carted it around with me along with a bottle of DaVinci's and a little Pyrex bowl, and I use it almost every single day to make a delicious muffin. LCers who get stuck in hotels are always wondering what they can eat - as long as your room has a microwave, and you have this awesome mix, you are set. If you have a coffee maker, even better lol. I have muffins for some breakfasts, and even more importantly, at night when the bored/munchies strike. The mix has been a lifesaver on this trip, for sure!
I am going to try this because we do road trips in nice weather. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #1524
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I need to tell you how this recipe comes about. Night before last, I made a pork roast for dinner and I like apple with pork so I took two granny smith apples, cored them and sliced in thick slices. I melted some erythritol in a frying pan, added cinnamon and nutmeg, combined all together. Then I added the apple rings and cooked till tender and to coat with the spice mix.

Forward to yesterday - I had apple rings left over. I used the leftover pork to make a pork almondine recipe that I like and didn't know what I'd do with the apples. So BTF to the rescue for Cinnamon Apple Muffins. Here's my recipe:

BTF Cinnamon/Apple Muffins:

1/2 cup BTF
1 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup DaVinci cinnamon syrup
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup Erythritol, melted
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
Spiced apple rings

Mix BTF and baking powder. Add melted butter and beat in egg, add the syrup and water. Mix well.

Melt erythritol and add cinnamon and nutmeg, stir to combine. Pour half of this mixture into the batter and stir well.
hafl fill 4 silicone muffin cups, pour remaining spice mixture over muffins then top with remaining batter.

Bake at 350 for 15 mins. or till toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely. At this point you can leave them as is or cut in half, put a dollop of cream cheese icing, top with a spiced apple ring, put top on and frost with the remaining icing.

Spiced Apple Rings:

Core 2 granny smith apples. Cut into thick slices (4-5 per apple). Melt erythritol, add cinnamon and nutmeg, stir to combine. Add the apple rings and cook till apple is tender but not mushy. Let cool.

Cream Cheese Icing:

2 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup powdered erythritol
4 drops EZ-Sweetz
1 Tbsp. butter, softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix to make a spreadable icing. The ingredients in the icing can be adjusted to your personal taste.

I ate one of these for breakfast and I thought it was wonderful!

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #1525
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
I need to tell you how this recipe comes about. Night before last, I made a pork roast for dinner and I like apple with pork so I took two granny smith apples, cored them and sliced in thick slices. I melted some erythritol in a frying pan, added cinnamon and nutmeg, combined all together. Then I added the apple rings and cooked till tender and to coat with the spice mix.

Forward to yesterday - I had apple rings left over. I used the leftover pork to make a pork almondine recipe that I like and didn't know what I'd do with the apples. So BTF to the rescue for Cinnamon Apple Muffins. Here's my recipe:

BTF Cinnamon/Apple Muffins:

1/2 cup BTF
1 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup DaVinci cinnamon syrup
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup Erythritol, melted
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
Spiced apple rings

Mix BTF and baking powder. Add melted butter and beat in egg, add the syrup and water. Mix well.

Melt erythritol and add cinnamon and nutmeg, stir to combine. Pour half of this mixture into the batter and stir well.
hafl fill 4 silicone muffin cups, pour remaining spice mixture over muffins then top with remaining batter.

Bake at 350 for 15 mins. or till toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely. At this point you can leave them as is or cut in half, put a dollop of cream cheese icing, top with a spiced apple ring, put top on and frost with the remaining icing.

Spiced Apple Rings:

Core 2 granny smith apples. Cut into thick slices (4-5 per apple). Melt erythritol, add cinnamon and nutmeg, stir to combine. Add the apple rings and cook till apple is tender but not mushy. Let cool.

Cream Cheese Icing:

2 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup powdered erythritol
4 drops EZ-Sweetz
1 Tbsp. butter, softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix to make a spreadable icing. The ingredients in the icing can be adjusted to your personal taste.

I ate one of these for breakfast and I thought it was wonderful!
Tweaker! How inventive and creative. They look great!! I love the crumb you got. By any chance, have you weighed out your BTF mix? I would love to get the weights in recipes when possible.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #1526
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
question for those of you uploading photos. Is there a iphone app that will let me upload photos and give me a link that I can paste here? It is so tedious to always go and hook my phone to my laptop etc etc. Looking for a shortcut using only my smartphone--anyone??
Sorry, I don't know the answer but would love an easier method as well.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #1527
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvettebuff View Post
Does someone know what the number post the cinnabon muffin is on? Thanks
Recipe is #40, pic is #51.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #1528
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Tweaker! How inventive and creative. They look great!! I love the crumb you got. By any chance, have you weighed out your BTF mix? I would love to get the weights in recipes when possible.

Sorry, I haven't weighed any of the mix.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #1529
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Callieco
Start Date: 020110
I found a high carb cream cheese pound cake recipe I wanted to try so I made it and oh my gosh it's good. It's dense but moist. The cake itself is easy but the overall recipe with the frosting takes some time but it's worth it. The frosting has somewhat of a caramel taste and the whole thing has a very high carb feel.

BUTTERMILK CREAM CHEESE POUND CAKE
Make part one of frosting first so it has a chance to cool.

Frosting: (part one)
2 tbl butter - softened
½ cup sugar sub (I used ¼ swerve, ¼ cup tagatose, 10 drops stevia )
¼ tsp molasses

Put all ingredients in saucepan or microwave, stirring occasionally until melted – it should look fairly smooth without much graininess. Remove from heat and immediately add:

4 oz cream cheese – softened and in chunks
3 tbl heavy cream
½ tsp vanilla

Using mixer or whisk beat until smooth. Let sit in fridge until cake part is done.

Topping:
¼ - ½ cup (depending on how much you want on your cake) walnuts or pecans chopped into small pieces.
In small frying pan add 1 tbl butter and 1-2 tbl sugar sub (i used tagatose & Erythritol). Melt butter and sugar together on med low heat stirring until sugar is completely melted. Add nuts and coat. Spread out over parchment to cool.

Cake:
¾ cup butter, softened (1 ½ sticks butter)
4 oz cream cheese, softened (other 4 oz used in frosting)
1 ½ cup sugar sub (3/4 cup swerve ¾ cup tagatose 10 drops stevia liquid nu naturals)
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup mix
Dash salt
¾ cup buttermilk

Grease and flour (with mix) bundt (mine was a 6" bundt) or acake pan. Beat butter and cream cheese together until creamy. Add sugar and beat 5 to 7 min until appears light.
Add eggs and vanilla mixing until incorporated.
Add flour and salt beat at low speed or by hand until well combined.
Add buttermilk a little at a time mixing until batter is thick but loose.

Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 300 for 60-70 min or until toothpick comes out clean – a crumb or two sticking to it is ok.

Cool for 15- 20 minutes before removing from pan – make sure cake is not hot but only warm before removing. Run knife around edges to loosen. Turn upside down onto plate.

To complete the frosting: (Part 2)
Remove sugar mix from fridge and stir. Let sit while beating egg whites.

Whip 2 egg whites until frothy, add ¼ tsp cream of tartar and beat until stiff peaks form.

Slowly add sugar mix and 4 oz softened cream cheese into egg whites beating at med high speed until it’s all incorporated. It will be light but a little runny. Add 1/8 tsp glucommanan and mix. Taste to see if sweetness level is what you want, if not add powdered sweetener for more sweetness and mix well.

The frosting is very light – more the consistency of whipped cream frosting - but spreadable. Spread on cake. Sprinkle with nut topping.

(you can see the little chunks of cream cheese because I was too impatient to wait for it to get soft)

Keep this cake refrigerated.
Callieco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #1530
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
For posting quick pics I click go advanced on the message box (next to post quick reply) then click on the little paperclip icon next to the smiley face above the message box and a new window will open, you chose which pic you want to post from your iPhone then click upload. After it finishes uploading just close out the window, hit refresh and your pic will be there. The pic comes out small but if you click on the image it will enlarge it.

I also use tinypic to upload images, you don't need an account. Just click on upload image, choose the image from your pics then click upload, after it uploads it will give you an image link for posting in the forum. Just copy and paste the link into the message box.

I don't know of any apps you can use for the iPhone but those two things work for my iPod touch.

Tweaker, those muffins look so yummy!!!

Callieco, that cake looks scrumptious!!

You guys are so creative! I want to make all of these recipes!! LOL

Tweaker, I was telling my DD about the spiced apple muffins and she wants me to make them... Now!! lol I do have everything I need to make them, even the Granny Smith apples, they're the only kind of apple I like. These would make a nice Sunday morning treat!!

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 03-02-2013 at 12:00 PM..