Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #1471
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KevTN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I made a pizza using the flour mix. I converted an old recipe for a quick and easy pizza crust. It came out really well. It's not real thick, its more of a thin crust pizza. I only used half the recipe because I wanted to try it first. I also didn't add any spices or garlic to the crust, but please feel free to add what you like if you try it. Im waiting for my daughter to get home to hear her verdict on this pizza.

Pizza

1/2 package or 1 1/8 tsp of bread machine yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
3/4 cup warm water
1 1/4 cup flour mix
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). In a medium bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes. Stir in flour, salt and oil. Beat until smooth. Let rest for 5 minutes. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat or roll into a round. Transfer crust to a lightly greased pizza pan or baker's peel dusted with cornmeal. Spread with desired toppings and bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Let baked pizza cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Ok...I am a noob to this type of cooking. I tried three times to do this but the dough was watery and nothing like a dough...the yeast looked right. I used almond flour/meal...

Any suggestions? Thx
KevTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #1472
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevTN View Post
Ok...I am a noob to this type of cooking. I tried three times to do this but the dough was watery and nothing like a dough...the yeast looked right. I used almond flour/meal...

Any suggestions? Thx
did you make the BTF mix Kev?
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #1473
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Sure Pam its on here.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ee-yogurt.html

I use the coconut and cashew one mostly. To me it taste better for unsweeten and sweeten.There are 2 recipes on this thread.

Rose, I just found this, thanks a lot. Now I need a yogurt maker, LOL.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #1474
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
Rose, I just found this, thanks a lot. Now I need a yogurt maker, LOL.
I glad you found it Pam. I love it.

Check out thrift stores and yard sales.
Pam you might be able to make this in a crockpot I'm not sure.

Last edited by rosethorns; 02-28-2013 at 02:30 PM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #1475
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
So the rest of the recipe stays the same? I use the original right now. I like the coconut in the "muffin" original recipe and I play up the coconut but will try the almond today. This is the one downfall in the development of this recipe and subsequently, in it's marketing, is it is very coconut-y. I'm wondering if that isn't going to limit the market.
The rest is the same, Cindy. I don't use erythritol or any sweetener in my mix, prefer to add that on a per recipe basis.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #1476
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KevTN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
did you make the BTF mix Kev?
Ummm...no ma'am....I went to three different stores including a low carb store and could not find oat fiber, glaucoma nan, I guess I need to get davinci syrup too...

I apologize as I am not use to this cooking...I am a grill man by heart but I need to learn different ways so I don't backslide...lol

Thx
KevTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #1477
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
So the rest of the recipe stays the same? I use the original right now. I like the coconut in the "muffin" original recipe and I play up the coconut but will try the almond today. This is the one downfall in the development of this recipe and subsequently, in it's marketing, is it is very coconut-y. I'm wondering if that isn't going to limit the market.
I guess I am not one of those super tasters (although I can tell the difference between butter and margarine), but I do not taste hardly any coconut taste in my dishes at all. Maybe some brands have a stronger flavor than others, but I hardly detect any coconut flavor.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #1478
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevTN View Post
Ummm...no ma'am....I went to three different stores including a low carb store and could not find oat fiber, glaucoma nan, I guess I need to get davinci syrup too...

I apologize as I am not use to this cooking...I am a grill man by heart but I need to learn different ways so I don't backslide...lol

Thx
It's ok Kevin. You can order those things from netrition here. They are impossible to find in a regular store. I made the pizza today and it was very good (tho I needed more liquid than the recipe called for. Almond flour won't work as well as my flour mix.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #1479
Blabbermouth!!!

I made the cinnamon muffin for 4 diabetic friends and they are ready to buy this Ouizoid. One said it was better than cinnabon. I put cream cheese frosting on top.

They think you are great.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #1480
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I made the cinnamon muffin for 4 diabetic friends and they are ready to buy this Ouizoid. One said it was better than cinnabon. I put cream cheese frosting on top.

They think you are great.
that is SO sweet Esther. the manufacturer let me know that it has gone to R&D. We shall see what they say.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #1481
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Berry Yellow cake using the yellow cake recipe. I barely taste the coconut in this. I thawed and drained 2 1/2 cups of berries and tossed them with 1/4 cup of a blend of erythritol/tagatose/stevia which I also used in the cake . I put the berries in the bottom of the pan. Here it is out of the oven:

5 Min of cooling and inverted on a plate. The face in the berry topping is unintentional!!:

Here is a sliced piece. It is dense like pound cake. I used 1 cup of sweetener and baked it roughly 45 min.:

My Avi is my horse Chakka and me Longview horse trials 5/14

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Cavanagh

Last edited by CindyCRNA; 02-28-2013 at 05:25 PM..
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #1482
Always on, slightly off

I should have reviewed!! The above cake is very good, dense and moist. I used 1 cup of a blend of 2 cups of erythritol, 1t stevia and 1/2 cup tagatose. It is sweet but not too sweet. For caloric purposes, I am going to try to decrease the butter to 4 tablespoons. I think I can get away with it. Will definitely make again.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #1483
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
This is an old high carb recipe that I use to make, it was a big favorite for birthdays and special occasions. I always used White Mountain Frosting but it has corn syrup in it and I don't know what to use in its place, so I used a buttercream frosting instead.

I baked my cake in a 10 inch springform pan sprayed with Pillsbury Baking Spray with Flour, it took exactly 33 minutes to bake. It's done when a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs on it.

This cake is moist and chocolatey and reminds me of a Duncan Hines cake. It was sweet enough for me but feel free to add more sweetener.

Homemade Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

2 cups BTF Mix
1 3/4 cup Sugar (I used 1/2 cup plus 3/8 cup granular xylitol ground fine but not powdered, plus Splenda liquid equal to 1/2 cup plus 3/8 cup
3/4 cup Cocoa
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 1/4 teaspoons Salt
4 tablespoons Butter softened

1 3/4 cups Water or as needed
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
3 large Eggs
1/2-1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract or Buttery Vanilla Emulsion

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the sides and bottom of two 9-inch baking pans or one 13×9-inch pan. Lightly flour the greased pans.

1. Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. whisk to combine then sift everything together. Add butter, then use an electric mixer on medium speed to blend butter into dry ingredients. Mix until no chunks of butter are visible.

2. Blend dry cake mix with oil, eggs, extract or emulsion splenda liquid(if using)and water, (add water slowly, mixing as you go until all the dry ingredients are moistened, keep mixing and slowly add water until it looks just like cake batter) in a large bowl with an electric mixer at low speed until moistened. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 more minutes.

3. Pour batter into pans and bake for 30 to 33 minutes for 9-inch pans, and 35 to 38 minutes for 13×9-inch pan. You can also make cupcakes with the mix. They take 19 to 22 minutes.

This is the frosting I used

Buttercream Frosting

1/2 cup Butter (8 tablespoons)
2 1/2 cups of Powdered Sugar ( I used Powdered Xylitol)
1-4 tablespoons of milk or cream
1-2 tsp Vanilla Extract or Buttery Vanilla Emulsion

Leave the butter to soften at room temperature then beat together with the powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of milk or cream and extract or emulsion until smooth and light in color. Add extra spoons of milk one at a time until the desired consistency is reached

Photos from top left to right show the dry mix, what the cake batter looks like after mixing in the bowl, the cake batter in the pan. Photos from bottom left to bottom right show the cake after its done baking and the frosted cake.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (42.6 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-28-2013 at 05:56 PM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #1484
Always on, slightly off

So Gina, the above recipe has 4T of butter AND 1/2 cup of oil?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #1485
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I should have reviewed!! The above cake is very good, dense and moist. I used 1 cup of a blend of 2 cups of erythritol, 1t stevia and 1/2 cup tagatose. It is sweet but not too sweet. For caloric purposes, I am going to try to decrease the butter to 4 tablespoons. I think I can get away with it. Will definitely make again.
Beautiful cake Cindy. I love the berries.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #1486
Blabbermouth!!!

Gina that chocolate cake is lovely!!!!!
Old 02-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #1487
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Cindy, your cake looks good!

Gina - chocolate cake, my favorite! Looks like a great texture. The only thing I'd do differently would be to add some cocoa to the frosting for chocolate buttercream!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #1488
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Wow, Cindy and Gina BEAUTIFUL cakes, I REALLY need to figure this stuff out stat!
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #1489
Always on, slightly off

I made some chia gel tonight and I'm going to try to use a 1:1 ratio of fat to chia gel in this cake recipe to lower the calories a tad.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #1490
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Cindy - that is a gorgeous cake. A Sunday morning cake!

Gina - your cake is either a party cake or hide in my closet and eat the whole thing cake. Beautiful!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #1491
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
I've been traveling for most of a month now and it is KILLING me to read all these wonderful recipes and not have the tools to try them or work on some of my own!

But Ouis - gotta tell you this - I mixed up a x24 batch of BTF and have carted it around with me along with a bottle of DaVinci's and a little Pyrex bowl, and I use it almost every single day to make a delicious muffin. LCers who get stuck in hotels are always wondering what they can eat - as long as your room has a microwave, and you have this awesome mix, you are set. If you have a coffee maker, even better lol. I have muffins for some breakfasts, and even more importantly, at night when the bored/munchies strike. The mix has been a lifesaver on this trip, for sure!
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #1492
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Cindy and Gina, beautiful cakes.

Penquin, good for you for going prepared.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #1493
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
I've been traveling for most of a month now and it is KILLING me to read all these wonderful recipes and not have the tools to try them or work on some of my own!

But Ouis - gotta tell you this - I mixed up a x24 batch of BTF and have carted it around with me along with a bottle of DaVinci's and a little Pyrex bowl, and I use it almost every single day to make a delicious muffin. LCers who get stuck in hotels are always wondering what they can eat - as long as your room has a microwave, and you have this awesome mix, you are set. If you have a coffee maker, even better lol. I have muffins for some breakfasts, and even more importantly, at night when the bored/munchies strike. The mix has been a lifesaver on this trip, for sure!
PP! That makes me so happy!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #1494
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
Cindy the texture of your cake looks just like the one I made - a cross between pound and regular cake. Looks delicious. What coconut flour do you use?

Gina, that is a beautiful chocolate cake. Great pictures. I think the step by step pictures really help.
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #1495
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
Cindy the texture of your cake looks just like the one I made - a cross between pound and regular cake. Looks delicious. What coconut flour do you use?

Gina, that is a beautiful chocolate cake. Great pictures. I think the step by step pictures really help.
BRM. Yes, it is dense and moist which is why I think I can cut the butter in half and sub some chia gel. I'm going to try said chocolate cake pictured above with 4T butter, chia gel and no oil. Not sure how it will work but worth a try. You have to bake this cake enough. The original recipe (yellow cake) said bake 20-25 min for a 9" round but it was closer to 45 minutes. I kept using a toothpick until the center just barely came clean.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #1496
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post

That is a fantastic traveling idea!! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
BRM. Yes, it is dense and moist which is why I think I can cut the butter in half and sub some chia gel. I'm going to try said chocolate cake pictured above with 4T butter, chia gel and no oil. Not sure how it will work but worth a try. You have to bake this cake enough. The original recipe (yellow cake) said bake 20-25 min for a 9" round but it was closer to 45 minutes. I kept using a toothpick until the center just barely came clean.
Cindy, your photos are really enticing!! I found the same thing about baking time. Needs much more time. I am not going to make any larger cakes for awhile due to the texture, so I can't wait to hear more of your experiments. I have played around with chia gel as well. For me, it helps keep the item from being overly dry.Can't wait to hear the results.

Gina- thanks for the step by step photos.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #1497
Always on, slightly off

I think on my next yellow cake, I will make as written but whip up 2 egg whites (in addition to the eggs in the recipe) and fold them into the batter for some lightness and loft.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #1498
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
This is an old high carb recipe that I use to make, it was a big favorite for birthdays and special occasions. I always used White Mountain Frosting but it has corn syrup in it and I don't know what to use in its place, so I used a buttercream frosting instead.

I baked my cake in a 10 inch springform pan sprayed with Pillsbury Baking Spray with Flour, it took exactly 33 minutes to bake. It's done when a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs on it.

This cake is moist and chocolatey and reminds me of a Duncan Hines cake. It was sweet enough for me but feel free to add more sweetener.

Homemade Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

2 cups BTF Mix
1 3/4 cup Sugar (I used 1/2 cup plus 3/8 cup granular xylitol ground fine but not powdered, plus Splenda liquid equal to 1/2 cup plus 3/8 cup
3/4 cup Cocoa
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 1/4 teaspoons Salt
4 tablespoons Butter softened

1 3/4 cups Water or as needed
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
3 large Eggs
1/2-1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract or Buttery Vanilla Emulsion

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the sides and bottom of two 9-inch baking pans or one 13×9-inch pan. Lightly flour the greased pans.

1. Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. whisk to combine then sift everything together. Add butter, then use an electric mixer on medium speed to blend butter into dry ingredients. Mix until no chunks of butter are visible.

2. Blend dry cake mix with oil, eggs, extract or emulsion splenda liquid(if using)and water, (add water slowly, mixing as you go until all the dry ingredients are moistened, keep mixing and slowly add water until it looks just like cake batter) in a large bowl with an electric mixer at low speed until moistened. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 more minutes.

3. Pour batter into pans and bake for 30 to 33 minutes for 9-inch pans, and 35 to 38 minutes for 13×9-inch pan. You can also make cupcakes with the mix. They take 19 to 22 minutes.

This is the frosting I used

Buttercream Frosting

1/2 cup Butter (8 tablespoons)
2 1/2 cups of Powdered Sugar ( I used Powdered Xylitol)
1-4 tablespoons of milk or cream
1-2 tsp Vanilla Extract or Buttery Vanilla Emulsion

Leave the butter to soften at room temperature then beat together with the powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of milk or cream and extract or emulsion until smooth and light in color. Add extra spoons of milk one at a time until the desired consistency is reached

Photos from top left to right show the dry mix, what the cake batter looks like after mixing in the bowl, the cake batter in the pan. Photos from bottom left to bottom right show the cake after its done baking and the frosted cake.

Gina, what do you think would happen if one used all EZsweetz as the sugar sub instead of xylitol as well? Would it detract from the texture of the cake or would it simply affect the sweetness level?

I don't have xylitol or erithrytol(sp?), have only used sodium cyclamate and EZsweetz as sweeteners.
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #1499
Blabbermouth!!!

Deb it's been years since I've used cyclamate. Does it sweeten chocolate ?
If it does you can use this in the cake part.

It won't work in the frosting because you need volumn from the powdered Xylitol.
Or powdered eyrithytol.

Neither one has volumn and liquid sucralose ( ezsweet ) will not sweeten chocolate alone .

HTH
Old 03-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #1500
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Deb it's been years since I've used cyclamate. Does it sweeten chocolate ?If it does you can use this in the cake part.

It won't work in the frosting because you need volumn from the powdered Xylitol.
Or powdered eyrithytol.

Neither one has volumn and liquid sucralose ( ezsweet ) will not sweeten chocolate alone .

HTH
I will do a test tonight and see if it sweetens my hot chocolate made with cocoa powder...will report back
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote