Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #1411
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
It smells like a bakery in Italy. It tastes of vanilla and orange and lemon.
It reminds me of panettone at Christmas time. The orange is dominating to me. It tastes creamy. I like it in a lot of baked goods.
Thanks Beverly that sounds devine. I'll have to look for that flavor.
I didn't see it . I'm looking at a raspberry one.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #1412
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
I don't really know Gina. Maybe the volume - because the heat didn't have to penetrate so much density.

I've had to dissolve powders in water before and I know that the finer a powder is, like when you open it there's a powdery dust that flies out, the faster and easier it is to dissolve. I wish I knew more about this stuff...maybe someone here does.

I'm just talking out my hat here. I really have no knowledge of this kind of stuff. I'm just trying to deduce
I don't really know either, I just add liquids until I get the right consistency but I think the biggest thing we've learned is that we can't follow the liquid portion of others recipes, we need to go by how our own flour mix looks when adding the liquids.

Quote:

I am using:

Sun Opta canadian harvest oat fiber (from Honeyville)
Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Flour
Honeyville egg white powder
Nutrabio Glucomannan
Rumford Baking Powder
Whey Factors natural whey protein (some of you are using isolate- does that make a difference?)

I did think of one other thing that could cause a wetter or more to the point gummy texture. You use a different glucommanan powder than I do, and we know that when we use too much glucommanan it can cause things to be gummy and where you used a different one than I did maybe thats what the problem was.

I use the Now glucommanan powder.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #1413
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS726 View Post
Where does everyone order the emulsion? From their website, or is there another site?
I got mine at Hobby Lobby. They had Red Velvet, Buttery Sweet Dough, and Princess. Not a big selection, but maybe they were between-orders.
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #1414
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Whoa this post exploded since I last logged in! I'll have to try this recipe again and hopefully I can get a consistent result. Have a lot of reading to do!
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #1415
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I am a happier camper today. I re-made the yellow cake recipe. This time I used a new package of Bob's coconut flour. I still didn't use as much water as listed in the recipe, but what works, works. It was very good with real "cake flavor". The texture of this one was somewhere between a light fluffy cake mix and a pound cake. It wasn't gummy!

I am thinking the first cake wasn't successful due to coconut flour that was at the bottom of the package and not adequately stored --perhaps taking in more moisture and making it heavier in weight?

In the pan:

Blackberry "shortcake" with whipped cream topping.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #1416
Major LCF Poster!

Beautiful!!! I'm so glad it worked this time!!! Sounds like it had a nice texture. I'm so happy it came out good!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #1417
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I made another cinnamon crumb cake and I wanted to try and show how it looks when putting it together.

I hope this helps some of you that are having a hard time with this mix. As you can see, after I add the liquid and mix it the batter is thick and can be smoothed down with a spoon. I then microwave just until the top is dry, you don't want to undercook it or it will be mushy and you don't want to overlook it or it will be dry.
Whoa Ginaaaa your batter is so thick! That must be my problem. I've been going for a cake batter consistency, I suppose I'm adding too much liquid. Is that the consistency you have most of the time?

For those of you that are snapping pics, if possible could you maybe also snap a pic of the batter right before you cook it? That would be soooo helpful.

So much wonderful info and tweaks in this thread, you are all so creative!

Ouizoid love the new avi pic! BTW I checked out your Daughters blog, talent definitely runs in the family...She is Gorgeous too!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #1418
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I Gina's yellow cake today and I think it will be delish! I made a small bundt cake (6 1/2 inch pan) and 6 cupcakes. I put a ganache on them (drizzled on the cake, spread on the top of cupcakes) which I made using a protein fudge recipe in this thread that I just made to the consistency I was looking for, I can't remember whose recipe it is, I'll go back and look and give credit for that, it's very good!

I haven't cut the cake yet, saving for company tomorrow but I did eat a cupcake and it was soooo yummy, wonderful texture! Thank you, Gina, this is a great recipe! I took pics but couldn't get them posted today so I'll add them when I post my pizza pics from Sunday's pizza.

I used Bob's coconut flour, Life Source Foods oat fiber, Body Fortress vanilla protein powder, I used xanthan gum-I don't have any glucomannan yet but am going to get some. I do have very good results using the xanthan though.

I can't believe how many posts there have been since I was here last night - this has to be the most popular thread on the board! Love it!

Ouiz gets the credit for the protein fudge, here's her recipe: Fabulous Protein Fudge*
A spin off of the recent candy recipes. I am finding that melting erythritol opens all sorts of doors!
melt on stovetop til liquid: 1/3 cup Erythritol (takes less than a minute on the stovetop in a small pan over medium heat.) When liquid add 8 drops sweetzfree, 2 Tbs reduced fat cream cheese. stir til liquid (I take off heat so E doesn't caramelize). Add 1 scoop chocolate protein powder and 2 Tbs Hersheys dark chocolate. stir and *add 3 Tbs (or so) vanilla davincis. Stir til creamy. scrape into container and refrigerate. In a half hour or so you will have a beautiful fudge that is oh so satisfying. Did the same fudge with Vanilla protein powder and PB2 instead of cocoa. Delightful! I am not sure of carbs--4? less than 200 calories for whole thing.

I followed her recipe except I added a splash of vanilla extract and used Monin chocolate syrup to get the fudge to a ganache/frosting consistency.

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 02-26-2013 at 07:34 PM..
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #1419
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divabunny View Post
Whoa Ginaaaa your batter is so thick! That must be my problem. I've been going for a cake batter consistency, I suppose I'm adding too much liquid. Is that the consistency you have most of the time?

For those of you that are snapping pics, if possible could you maybe also snap a pic of the batter right before you cook it? That would be soooo helpful.

Ouizoid love the new avi pic! BTW I checked out your Daughters blog, talent definitely runs in the family...She is Gorgeous too!
See post 1331. Gina's batter
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #1420
Blabbermouth!!!

Beverly absolutely marvelous.I love your red dish.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #1421
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
I Gina's yellow cake today and I think it will be delish! I made a small bundt cake (6 1/2 inch pan) and 6 cupcakes. I put a ganache on them (drizzled on the cake, spread on the top of cupcakes) which I made using a protein fudge recipe in this thread that I just made to the consistency I was looking for, I can't remember whose recipe it is, I'll go back and look and give credit for that, it's very good!

I haven't cut the cake yet, saving for company tomorrow but I did eat a cupcake and it was soooo yummy, wonderful texture! Thank you, Gina, this is a great recipe! I took pics but couldn't get them posted today so I'll add them when I post my pizza pics from Sunday's pizza.

I used Bob's coconut flour, Life Source Foods oat fiber, Body Fortress vanilla protein powder, I used xanthan gum-I don't have any glucomannan yet but am going to get some. I do have very good results using the xanthan though.

I can't believe how many posts there have been since I was here last night - this has to be the most popular thread on the board! Love it!
I can't wait to see your pics Tweaker.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #1422
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Finally got a big batch made up. Made a chocolate cake last night which was good but a little dry, added more liquid tonight, didnt nuke as long and it was yummy!
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #1423
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

How much water did you use and how long did you bake the bundt? Did you use nonfat milk? What sugar sub did you use? Thx
Old 02-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #1424
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
See post 1331. Gina's batter
Thank you! I hadn't made it that far yet
Old 02-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #1425
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Ouiz gets the credit for the protein fudge, here's her recipe: Fabulous Protein Fudge*
A spin off of the recent candy recipes. I am finding that melting erythritol opens all sorts of doors!
melt on stovetop til liquid: 1/3 cup Erythritol (takes less than a minute on the stovetop in a small pan over medium heat.) When liquid add 8 drops sweetzfree, 2 Tbs reduced fat cream cheese. stir til liquid (I take off heat so E doesn't caramelize). Add 1 scoop chocolate protein powder and 2 Tbs Hersheys dark chocolate. stir and *add 3 Tbs (or so) vanilla davincis. Stir til creamy. scrape into container and refrigerate. In a half hour or so you will have a beautiful fudge that is oh so satisfying. Did the same fudge with Vanilla protein powder and PB2 instead of cocoa. Delightful! I am not sure of carbs--4? less than 200 calories for whole thing.

I followed her recipe except I added a splash of vanilla extract and used Monin chocolate syrup to get the fudge to a ganache/frosting consistency.
That's awesome!! I'm so glad it worked for you! Can't wait to see your pics!!

I'm wanting to make another cake with a vanilla frosting lol but I think I will cool it with the sweets for a little bit, maybe!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #1426
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divabunny View Post

Diva--thank you for the compliments on my darling Brokeassgourmet, gabi. Her second cookbook is coming out this summer. You can also find her on Amazon and US News and World Report is running an interview with her soon!

SG--the cake is simply gorgeous!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #1427
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[QUOTE=sungoddess;16283005]How much water did you use and how long did you bake the bundt? Did you use nonfat milk? What sugar sub did you use? Thx[/QUOTE

Beverly - I used almost 2 cups of water, I started with 1 1/2 cups then added the rest slowly till got a cake consistency which was a little less than the other 1/2 cup. I baked the bundt for 45-50 mins. at 350; the cupcakes I took out at 15 minutes, they were just perfect. I used Nido whole milk powder. My sugar subs were xylitol and EZ-Sweetz - I powdered the xylitol and used about 10 drops EZ-Sweetz. I used 3/4 Tbsp. vanilla extract.

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 02-26-2013 at 09:18 PM..
Old 02-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #1428
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[quote=Tweaker Geek;16283152]
Quote:
How much water did you use and how long did you bake the bundt? Did you use nonfat milk? What sugar sub did you use? Thx[/QUOTE

Beverly - I used almost 2 cups of water, I started with 1 1/2 cups then added the rest slowly till got a cake consistency which was a little less than the other 1/2 cup. I baked the bundt for 45-50 mins. at 350; the cupcakes I took out at 15 minutes, they were just perfect. I used Nido whole milk powder. My sugar subs were xylitol and EZ-Sweetz - I powdered the xylitol and used about 10 drops EZ-Sweetz. I used 3/4 Tbsp. vanilla extract.
thank you!!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #1429
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but I think this might make a really good mashed potato substitute.

I wash just mixing some up to make bread for my egg salad sandwich and added a little melted butter (about 1/2 tablespoon) and some garlic parmesan seasoning to see how it would alter the taste. Then I tasted the raw 'batter' to see if it needed anything. Dude, add some salt and pepper and you've got mashed potatoes. Seriously!
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #1430
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs S View Post
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but I think this might make a really good mashed potato substitute.

I wash just mixing some up to make bread for my egg salad sandwich and added a little melted butter (about 1/2 tablespoon) and some garlic parmesan seasoning to see how it would alter the taste. Then I tasted the raw 'batter' to see if it needed anything. Dude, add some salt and pepper and you've got mashed potatoes. Seriously!

If that's true then Oiuzoid's next product should be "Better than Taters". LOL Seriously I might try it. You could also do like the Dixie Diners product and add a bit of instant potato flakes.

Didn't get to try out my recipe last night. My husband is battling three kidney stones and I went with him to get a scan. Maybe tonight.

Last edited by PaminKY; 02-27-2013 at 11:49 AM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #1431
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarenL
Stats: 125/121/110
WOE: HFLC GF SF
Start Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Here is the recipe. These cookies are just slightly cakey.The mouthfeel is amazing. They just love them. I love them. I didn't use egg white powder because I thought that is what was giving me cakey cookies.

Chocolate chip cookies

1 c. mix ( no egg white powder & no sweetner)
3/4 c. blanched almond flour
1/4 c. corn resistant starch
2 eggs
1/2 c. powdered Xylitol
1/2 c. brown diabeta sweet
1/4 tsp. liquid sucralose
1 c. butter
1 c. chocolate chips
almond milk

Cream together butter & sweetners light and fluffy, add eggs, cream well.
Put dry ingredients in bowl and whisk to make airy. Combine the dry ingredient ( a third at a time) to the wet ingredients. Add enough almond milk to get a cookie dough. Add chocolate chips. Bake @ 350 for 12 mins.

These cookies are to die for.
Dear Esther: How critical do you think the corn resistant starch is to this? I'm trying cookies again (bc DH is a cookie monster) and I don't have any crs. TIA Caren
CarenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #1432
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

As promised here are my pics:

The pizza and cupcakes are awesome. The cake is too, but when I cut it today I found that it was a tad undercooked and the very middle was a little too moist, not gummy, but just too moist. I probably should have left it in the oven for another 10 minutes. I will definitely make it again. Unfortunately, I had company for lunch and that's when I cut the cake, but fortunately I saved the day by serving the cupcakes!! A girl's gotta do, what a girl's gotta do.

For lunch I made an Asian Meatloaf with a recipe I found on-line and changed up a bit for low carb. We had meatloaf sandwiches on Healthified (Psyllium Husk) Rolls and Asian Coleslaw from Vol. 1 LCAF, page 227 (Lisa Marshall's recipe). Very yummy lunch, guests were happy and so was I.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #1433
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenL View Post
Dear Esther: How critical do you think the corn resistant starch is to this? I'm trying cookies again (bc DH is a cookie monster) and I don't have any crs. TIA Caren
Caren when you made them the first time they were very cakey.

With the corn resistant starch they are crispy like you want. Please take a stab at these . I was wondering if they needed some inulin. Fresh out of the oven they are really good. They freeze well also.they were not cake but had it very close to Toll House cookies

See what you get. I can eat these all day.It gives them a wonderful crumb.You will see a big difference in these and the first ones you made. So good.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #1434
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[quote=sungoddess;16283170]
Quote:

thank you!!
You're welcome!
Old 02-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #1435
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
As promised here are my pics:

The pizza and cupcakes are awesome. The cake is too, but when I cut it today I found that it was a tad undercooked and the very middle was a little too moist, not gummy, but just too moist. I probably should have left it in the oven for another 10 minutes. I will definitely make it again. Unfortunately, I had company for lunch and that's when I cut the cake, but fortunately I saved the day by serving the cupcakes!! A girl's gotta do, what a girl's gotta do.

For lunch I made an Asian Meatloaf with a recipe I found on-line and changed up a bit for low carb. We had meatloaf sandwiches on Healthified (Psyllium Husk) Rolls and Asian Coleslaw from Vol. 1 LCAF, page 227 (Lisa Marshall's recipe). Very yummy lunch, guests were happy and so was I.
Woman they look wonderful!!!!!!!Did you cook your crust first? Beautiful.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #1436
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I won't keep repeating the photos in my post, but you are awesome!! A baking machine! The photos look extra yummy. I just finished some chocolate chip cookies too today and will post some photos later. I want to eat the screen!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #1437
Major LCF Poster!

Nice pics Tweaker Geek!!! The pizza crust looks amazing and the cakes do too!

I'm sorry your cake didn't get done!!
Old 02-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #1438
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarenL
Stats: 125/121/110
WOE: HFLC GF SF
Start Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Caren when you made them the first time they were very cakey.

With the corn resistant starch they are crispy like you want. Please take a stab at these . I was wondering if they needed some inulin. Fresh out of the oven they are really good. They freeze well also.they were not cake but had it very close to Toll House cookies

See what you get. I can eat these all day.It gives them a wonderful crumb.You will see a big difference in these and the first ones you made. So good.
Thanks for the reply! I will have to order the corn resistant starch. I presume online, as I've never seen it at Whole Foods. Any other awesome cookie recipes you would recommend in the meantime? Caren
CarenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #1439
Blabbermouth!!!

Netrition has it Caren. Ouizoids cranberry ones sound good.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #1440
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Corvettebuff
Stats: 175/1160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 2013
Bisquick has a recipe I saw but didn't copy it showed little cups made out of dough and then looked like they were filled with maybe hamburger pizza sauce and cheese and then baked. When my boys were small I did this alot with the cheap rolls in a can I lined the cupcake pans with them and we filled them with different things and baked them. I guess what I am getting to would the BTF mix work for these do you think? Just curious.
Thanks, Susan
Corvettebuff is offline   Reply With Quote