Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #1381
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
Don't you just love those bakery emulsions. I'm planning on using the lemon one tonight.
I loved the buttery vanilla emulsion, I used it in my yellow cake and it tasted like a cake from the bakery. I have the princess and buttery sweet dough also. I think the princess would be good in a pound cake, and the buttery sweet dough would be good in a sugar cookie.

They all smell amazing!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #1382
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
That's great. And my muffins, mini cakes, donut holes, pancakes, waffles, and cookies have all turned out fine as well. I just usually follow my own recipes. So something in one of my ingredients absorbs fluids in a different way than some of the other folks experience, and I will simply ignore the amounts of water /fluids people post in their recipes in the future.
I ordered some of the Buttery Vanilla bakery emulsion so I will make a cake this weekend and report back.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #1383
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
I'm curious to see what the texture of your cake is like. I have used Bob's Red Mill coconut flour for most of what I make. I bought two others and have been using those just to see if the taste is less noticeable. Doesn't seem to be any difference in smell and taste so I was going to stick to Bob's.

When I made Gina's yellow cake I used Nutiva coconut flour, and I got a texture more like a pound cake so can't wait to hear how yours turns out Sungoddess.

Interesting...the Nutiva and the Bobs have same amount of fat but Nutiva has 11 carbs/8 fiber per 2 TBL while Bobs has 8 carbs/5 fiber per 2 TBL. Same net carbs and but Bobs is 60 cal, 2g protein and 1g sugar while Nutiva is 45 cal, 4g protein and 3 sugars. Both are organic. That's quite a difference.

Well I just discovered why. 2 TBL of Nutiva weighs 18 grams while 2 TBL of Bob's weighs 14 grams. I wonder if the heavier weight of the Nutiva is what caused my cake to be heavier in texture.
That would make sense since pound cake is a heavier cake. So now I think the weight has a lot to do with the outcome.

I don't have a scale so I can't weight my coconut secret. Someone had mentioned weighing the mix at one time too!!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #1384
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Interesting...the Nutiva and the Bobs have same amount of fat but Nutiva has 11 carbs/8 fiber per 2 TBL while Bobs has 8 carbs/5 fiber per 2 TBL. Same net carbs and but Bobs is 60 cal, 2g protein and 1g sugar while Nutiva is 45 cal, 4g protein and 3 sugars. Both are organic. That's quite a difference.

Well I just discovered why. 2 TBL of Nutiva weighs 18 grams while 2 TBL of Bob's weighs 14 grams. I wonder if the heavier weight of the Nutiva is what caused my cake to be heavier in texture.
I used Bob's coconut flour too for my mix. I think it would be interesting to weigh out all the ingredients and have the recipe by weight instead of volume. That is how professional bakers do it also.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #1385
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
That would make sense since pound cake is a heavier cake. So now I think the weight has a lot to do with the outcome.

I don't have a scale so I can't weight my coconut secret. Someone had mentioned weighing the mix at one time too!!
I checked the nutrition info on the coconut secret and it's 14 grams for 2 TBL - same as Bob's. So now I'm really interested in how Sungoddess's cake turns out.
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #1386
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I used Bob's coconut flour too for my mix. I think it would be interesting to weigh out all the ingredients and have the recipe by weight instead of volume. That is how professional bakers do it also.
I love going by weight!

Linda Genaw has recently put on her site the results of measuring different brands of almond flour so one can see where this could occur with different brands of coconut flour.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #1387
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBipp View Post
I love going by weight!

Linda Genaw has recently put on her site the results of measuring different brands of almond flour so one can see where this could occur with different brands of coconut flour.
Me too!! I think this could have an impact on final results.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #1388
Senior LCF Member

Logically - when Ouizoid has the mix made the ingredients will likely be combined by weight not measurement so would the mix be the right weight for recipes? If the coconut flour has that much impact on texture then maybe we can determine the best coconut flour to use based on weight or the best weight to use - not necessarily the specific flour. I'm guessing that the reason one is heavier than the other is in the processing and that one is finer(?) than the other so that's why the texture is better for things like cake.

One thing the package should say is to shake well. I know I have to shake mine before using to get the ingredients mixed well. Mine separates - I can tell by the color of the ingredients.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #1389
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MSS726
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I ordered some of the Buttery Vanilla bakery emulsion so I will make a cake this weekend and report back.
Where does everyone order the emulsion? From their website, or is there another site?
MSS726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #1390
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS726 View Post
Where does everyone order the emulsion? From their website, or is there another site?
I get mine from King Arthur because I buy other stuff from them. But I did get several at Home Goods for a lot less cost. But they don't always have them.

This was interesting:

I measured out 2 Tablespoons of coconut flour with the dip and level method.

A new bag of Bob's: weighed .6 ounces

A brand new canister of Coconut Secret: weighed .5 ounces (15g)

My old can of Coconut Secret (made cake from it): weighed .8 ounces (22g)

Doesn't seem significant, but maybe that is why my individual cakes were fine and I made a big cake and it wasn't. Starts to make a greater difference the more mix?
Old 02-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #1391
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
This is all very interesting. I want to get some of the emulsions and it's nice to know which ones you all think are good.

Mine have always come out good.Marble cake sounds wonderful Beverly.

I'm on a mission to make a rum cake.So when I get the emulsion I will try it.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #1392
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Logically - when Ouizoid has the mix made the ingredients will likely be combined by weight not measurement so would the mix be the right weight for recipes? If the coconut flour has that much impact on texture then maybe we can determine the best coconut flour to use based on weight or the best weight to use - not necessarily the specific flour. I'm guessing that the reason one is heavier than the other is in the processing and that one is finer(?) than the other so that's why the texture is better for things like cake.

One thing the package should say is to shake well. I know I have to shake mine before using to get the ingredients mixed well. Mine separates - I can tell by the color of the ingredients.
So if the finer texture is better for cakes would it not be good for biscuits, pies and pizza's? My pizza recipe calls for bread flour, is the coconut secret finer than bread flour? My pizza seems to come out good, but maybe it would have a different outcome if the flour wasn't as fine.

I guess I need to pick up a scale for this flour mix! I do shake up the big batch mix I keep in a zip loc bag before I use it.

Quote:
I paid $19.43 for three 4 ounce bottles from amazon, that including shipping.

Quote:
I get mine from King Arthur because I buy other stuff from them. But I did get several at Home Goods for a lot less cost. But they don't always have them.

This was interesting:

I measured out 2 Tablespoons of coconut flour with the dip and level method.

A new bag of Bob's: weighed .6 ounces

A brand new canister of Coconut Secret: weighed .5 ounces (15g)

My old can of Coconut Secret (made cake from it): weighed .8 ounces (22g)

Doesn't seem significant, but maybe that is why my individual cakes were fine and I made a big cake and it wasn't. Starts to make a greater difference the more mix?
It would seem that if a recipe uses more mix, meaning more weight it would need more liquids? You said your cake mix would only absorb 1 1/4 cup of water, so you didn't need the whole 2 cups, but it still came out overly moist and gummy. So what explains the wet and gummy outcome?

The coconut flour you used for the cake weighed more but absorbed less water?

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-26-2013 at 01:54 PM..
Old 02-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #1393
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
I ordered mine off a seller on Ebay.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #1394
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

It would seem that if a recipe uses more mix, meaning more weight it would need more liquids? You said your cake mix would only absorb 1 1/4 cup of water, so you didn't need the whole 2 cups, but it still came out overly moist and gummy. So what explains the wet and gummy outcome?

The coconut flour you used for the cake weighed more but absorbed less water?
I know. I can't explain it. I wish I knew why it had that gummy texture.

Yes, the coconut flour I used weighed more than the others I measured but wouldn't absorb nearly as much water as yours did. Maybe it is more than one variable going on. We need a chemist!!

It's just a curiosity on my part since apparently others who have made the yellow cake have used the same amount of water you did with success and no gummy texture. I may never know. But if you do get a scale, I would love to see the recipe by weight. I think it can make a difference.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #1395
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
I loved the buttery vanilla emulsion, I used it in my yellow cake and it tasted like a cake from the bakery. I have the princess and buttery sweet dough also. I think the princess would be good in a pound cake, and the buttery sweet dough would be good in a sugar cookie.

They all smell amazing!!

Wait a minute. I don't think I have the buttery vanilla one, need to check my cabinet. I do have the Red Velvet one but haven't used it yet.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #1396
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
This is all very interesting. I want to get some of the emulsions and it's nice to know which ones you all think are good.

I can't wait for it!! I used to make baba au rhum in my high carb days and I loved them. Made in mini bundt pans and topped with whipped cream. Always a favorite. I hope your emulsions come soon!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #1397
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Wait a minute. I don't think I have the buttery vanilla one, need to check my cabinet. I do have the Red Velvet one but haven't used it yet.
I want the red velvet one!!!!!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #1398
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Yes, the coconut flour I used weighed more than the others I measured but wouldn't absorb nearly as much water as yours did. Maybe it is more than one variable going on. We need a chemist!!

It's just a curiosity on my part since apparently others who have made the yellow cake have used the same amount of water you did with success and no gummy texture. I may never know. But if you do get a scale, I would love to see the recipe by weight. I think it can make a difference.
I will get one and then I will measure out the dry cake ingredients and measure them. The only time I've even had a wet or gummy result is when I've added too much liquid and not cooked it long enough.

Callie is the only one who's made my yellow cake, her cake came out more like a pound cake so I'm thinking her flour weighed more than mine did because pound cake is heavier than a regular cake.

Quote:
The buttery vanilla smells like a yellow cake mix and the princess one has an almond smell which to me would taste good in a pound cake.

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-26-2013 at 02:14 PM..
Old 02-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #1399
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

My sister makes rum cake every Christmas. I tried making a low carb rum cake last Christmas, I think I used coconut flour and it came out pretty good, but I can't wait to try my yellow cake for rum cake!!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #1400
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I got mine from Chef's Catalog because I have free shoprunner 2-day shipping. They had a limited selction of flavors though.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #1401
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:

Maybe the coconut flour weighed more because it had more moisture in it so it was unable to absorb as much as Gina's flour?

Also, the .8 weighs 60% more than the .5 and that is a huge difference.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #1402
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I can't wait for it!! I used to make baba au rhum in my high carb days and I loved them. Made in mini bundt pans and topped with whipped cream. Always a favorite. I hope your emulsions come soon!
That sounds so good.

I was thinking of using my mini bundt pans too. Yum.

I use to make them every year also Gina. I love rum cake but only once a year or twice.
I have made them with almond meal a couple of years ago and didn't really like it. I think Ouizoid mix is going to make a good one possible.

I'm looking at them right now . Buttery vanilla , red velvet and .......

Does anybody have any others kinds they would pick?

Last edited by rosethorns; 02-26-2013 at 02:35 PM..
Old 02-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #1403
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
That sounds so good.

I use to make them every year also Gina. I love rum cake but only once a year or twice.

Besides the buttery vanilla, I have the princess which has an almond scent I think wound be good in pound cake and cookies and the buttery sweet dough has a buttery, citrus scent that would be good in cakes, cookies, cinnamon buns and pastries.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #1404
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

We do need a chemist . I am not but it seems as though a heavier flour being less fine would absorb less moisture. I can't think of an analogy but I can see it in my head Does anyone get what I mean? The only thing I can think of is Ezekial bread and how heavy and dense and dry it is and because of all the unprocessed stuff in it.

Last edited by Callieco; 02-26-2013 at 02:43 PM..
Old 02-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #1405
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
That sounds so good.

I have made them with almond meal a couple of years ago and didn't really like it. I think Ouizoid mix is going to make a good one possible.

I love the Princess, Buttery Sweet Dough, Fiori di Sicilia, the cream cheese, and lemon!! I want to try red velvet.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #1406
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBipp View Post
Maybe the coconut flour weighed more because it had more moisture in it so it was unable to absorb as much as Gina's flour?

Also, the .8 weighs 60% more than the .5 and that is a huge difference.
Quote:
We do need a chemist . I am not but it seems as though a heavier flour being less fine would absorb less moisture. I can't think of an analogy but I can see it in my head Does anyone get what I mean? The only thing I can think of is Ezekial bread and how heavy and dense and dry it is and because of all the unprocessed stuff in it.
This does make sense. And when you stated that .8 is 60% more, that DOES sound like a huge difference.

It would be a fun experiment if we post our recipes with the weights to see if we get more consistent results.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #1407
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I love the Princess, Buttery Sweet Dough, Fiori di Sicilia, the cream cheese, and lemon!! I want to try red velvet.
What is Fiori di Sicilia smell or taste like ?TIA
Old 02-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #1408
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I think you're right, and that would explain why the cake sungoddess made didn't need as much liquid as mine did. I can't weigh my flour but what you're saying makes sense.

I am a little confused though. Are you saying that the heavier flour can't absorb much liquid so it would make cakes have a wet and gummy outcome?

Also, why would sungoddess have her smaller cakes and donuts come out fine but not a larger cake like mine?

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-26-2013 at 03:00 PM..
Old 02-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #1409
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
What is Fiori di Sicilia smell or taste like ?TIA
It smells like a bakery in Italy. It tastes of vanilla and orange and lemon.
It reminds me of panettone at Christmas time. The orange is dominating to me. It tastes creamy. I like it in a lot of baked goods.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #1410
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I think you're right, and that would explain why the cake sungoddess made didn't need as much liquid as mine did. I can't weigh my flour but what you're saying makes sense.

I am a little confused though. Are you saying that the heavier flour can't absorb much liquid so it would make cakes have a wet and gummy outcome?

Also, why would sungoddess have her smaller cakes and donuts come out fine but not a larger cake like mine?
I don't really know Gina. Maybe the volume - because the heat didn't have to penetrate so much density.

I've had to dissolve powders in water before and I know that the finer a powder is, like when you open it there's a powdery dust that flies out, the faster and easier it is to dissolve. I wish I knew more about this stuff...maybe someone here does.

I'm just talking out my hat here. I really have no knowledge of this kind of stuff. I'm just trying to deduce