Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #1321
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
I was just reading another thread about some packaged flours so I went to Netrition and checked the ingredients. They had wheat gluten, which I don't mind so much but kind of tastes funny, and flax seed, which seems to be a go to ingredient for a lot of recipes and mixes and which I absolutely despise. So I just want to say thank you again Ouizoid for coming up with this flour and not putting flax in it.
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #1322
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 51 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Thanks for posting your recipe Callie! It sounds yummy!! I bet a pineapple upside down cake would be great too.
Gina, is it possible to post your yellow cake along with the upside down peach variation with it? This sounds really good!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #1323
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
Gina, is it possible to post your yellow cake along with the upside down peach variation with it? This sounds really good!
Cindy, Gina posted the cake and topping recipes together in the sticky thread.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #1324
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
Stats: 184/177/163/158
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Here ya go!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16279985

Upside Down Peach Cake- Callieco

When I made the peach upside down cake I used Gina's recipe for the cake. I didn't have milk powder so I subbed cream and water and low carb milk along with about 2 tbl coconut flavored splenda syrup.

Cake

Homemade Yellow Cake

2 Cups BTF Mix
1 1/2 Cups Sugar ( I used 3/4 Cup xylitol and liquid Splenda to equal 3/4 Cup
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1/2 Cup Non-Fat Dry Milk ( I used Whole Milk Powder, but you can use non-fat or just replace water in recipe with your favorite milk substitute)
2 Cups Water
2-3 teaspoons Vanilla ( I used Buttery Vanilla Emullsion
1/2 Cup Butter softened
3 Large Eggs

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and non-fat dry milk.

Add water, vanilla, butter, and eggs. Combine with an electric mixer then beat two more minutes. Pour into a greased and floured cake pan. Bake at 350-degrees, using these baking times (watch carefully as your oven may vary–test for doneness using a toothpick):

8″ or 9″ cake rounds — 20-25 minutes 13 x 9 pan — 35-40 minutes cupcakes — 12-15 minutes tube/bundt pan — 45-50 minutes Don’t overbake! You’ll dry out your cake.

The topping:
Melt 2 tbl butter and put it in the bottom of a cake pan. Sprinkle about 1/2 cup sweetener over the butter. I used a combo of 1/4 cup swerve mixed with 1/2 tsp molasses and 1 tbl Just Like Sugar Brown and about 2 Tbl of Tagatose. Layer peaches over the bottom - I used a can of no sugar canned peaches - and sprinkle with pecans.

I forgot: pour the cake over the topping and
Bake per cake instructions. Let it cool for about 10 minutes. Turn it onto a plate.

You could actually use any combo of fruit/berries/nuts for this. It's so simple. I'm having a piece right now and it tastes so good. The cake still has the texture of pound cake but it seems as though baked goods made with this mix taste even better next day - like the flavors and ingredients have time to settle and meld. You know how pound cake gets that little almost crunchy sugary edge...well I got that with this cake
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #1325
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I am convinced that brands of the ingredients used in the flour mix must make a big difference in some of the final products, depending on what is being made. I made Gina's yellow cake exactly per the directions and the end result is overly moist and gummy all the way through. I used everything the same- no substitutions. I used xylitol, whole milk powder, buttery vanilla emulsion, butter and large eggs, etc. The batter couldn't absorb all of the liquid in the recipe. The cake was in the oven 55 minutes and still not done. ( I use an oven thermometer so it was right on target for temp). After it cooled down and set a few hours, I cut out a piece and it was just dense and gummy. Not a cake-like texture at all.

I don't know why this happens other than the brands of ingredients used. Boo hoo, I am bummed.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #1326
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
I am convinced that brands of the ingredients used in the flour mix must make a big difference in some of the final products, depending on what is being made. I made Gina's yellow cake exactly per the directions and the end result is overly moist and gummy all the way through. I used everything the same- no substitutions. I used xylitol, whole milk powder, buttery vanilla emulsion, butter and large eggs, etc. The batter couldn't absorb all of the liquid in the recipe. The cake was in the oven 55 minutes and still not done. ( I use an oven thermometer so it was right on target for temp). After it cooled down and set a few hours, I cut out a piece and it was just dense and gummy. Not a cake-like texture at all.

I don't know why this happens other than the brands of ingredients used. Boo hoo, I am bummed.
Wow, I'm so sorry it didn't work for you!! I think you're right, I've suspected the same thing too. My baked goods always come out cake-like, never spongy or heavy.

Did you add the water slowly or dump it all in at once? What size pan did you use? I'm thinking you might not have needed the whole 2 cups of water?

Callie made it too, and she said it came out more like a pound cake.

Usually when I make a new recipe I will make half just to make sure its going to work out.

Here's the brands I use, I think I will stick to them since they work so well for me. I was going to try the Now brand pea protein but I don't know if I should.

2 Tbs Oatfiber-LifeSource Foods
Oat Fiber 500
2 Tbs coconut flour-Coconut Secret
Raw Coconut Flour
1 Tbs vanilla protein powder-NOW Whey Protein Isolate
1 Tbs eggwhite powder-Deb El
1/2 tsp baking powder-Bob's Red Mill Baking Powder
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder-NOW
Glucomannan

I baked my cake in an 8" springform pan and it took about 50-55 minutes. I figured I probably should have baked it in either 2 round pans or in a 9X13 pan because it took so long to bake.

I feel really bad this didn't work you! It worked for both me and Callie so maybe it is the brand and ingredients used. Mine was just like a regular cake but Callie's came out like pound cake.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #1327
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gina, PLEASE don't feel bad about this. It certainly isn't your fault. It worked great for you and you just reported what worked! I noticed that people who try my recipes find them a bit dry where they weren't dry for me. Again, it could be the brand of ingredients.

Per your questions- I poured the water slowly as I think it absorbs better that way. I did not end up using all 2 cups because it would have been way too liquidy. At one and a quarter cups, it was already looking too thin for cake batter. So I didn't use all the water. I used a 13x9 inch pan.

You are right that the flavor was spot on. I love my emulsions for baking as the flavor doesn't bake out. So your recipe does have the flavor of yellow cake!
I am actually due to order more ingredients, so I may switch out and try your brands since all of your baked goods are a success. Thanks for listing what you use.

I usually don't make a whole recipe the first time I try a new recipe, but this time I did. It's no big deal, but I am intrigued with figuring out why this one came out as it did. I have been baking LC for 8 years and some things work out great and some don't. It's all a part of the process.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #1328
Major LCF Poster!

I'm afraid to change any of the brands I'm using for fear that I won't have such good results. I've been using the same ones since I started using this flour mix so I guess I will stick with them, although I may buy some Now Pea Protein and see if it works.

I can see by what you wrote about the water that your flour mix doesn't soak up as much liquid as mine does but I wonder why it came out too moist and gummy? It almost makes me think its the glucommanan. What brand are you using?

I know what you mean about low carb baking, I've sure had my share of not so good baked goods!!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #1329
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
I'm afraid to change any of the brands I'm using for fear that I won't have such good results. I've been using the same ones since I started using this flour mix so I guess I will stick with them, although I may buy some Now Pea Protein and see if it works.

I can see by what you wrote about the water that your flour mix doesn't soak up as much liquid as mine does but I wonder why it came out too moist and gummy? It almost makes me think its the glucommanan. What brand are you using?

I know what you mean about low carb baking, I've sure had my share of not so good baked goods!!
I think the amount of liquid here is the variable. Gina, what is the thickness of your cake batter? Pourable like cake batter? When I make the original, I can almost turn the bowl of batter up side down and it not come out. I have to use a spatula and push it into my bowl to cook. If it is pourable, I find my end product, too wet.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #1330
Senior LCF Member

I use the same oat fiber that Gina does.
I've used 3 different brands of coconut flour -not sure about the raw part, I'll have to check that.
I use Bob's Red Mill unflavored protein powder.
Also get my Egg White powder from Bob's Red Mill now. (I'm lucky to live very close to Bob's store and I love going and getting stuff in bulk)
Baking powder is the stuff from the supermarket and I've used a couple of brands.
Glucomannan powder is from Konjac Foods

I wonder if it's the whey protein. Even though I've used different coconut flours, baking powders and egg white powders I get pretty consistent results with what I've made in the past. I have never used any other whey so I'm going to get some vanilla whey and see what results I get.

I guess that means I will have to try a pineapple upside down cake too
Old 02-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #1331
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I think the amount of liquid here is the variable. Gina, what is the thickness of your cake batter? Pourable like cake batter? When I make the original, I can almost turn the bowl of batter up side down and it not come out. I have to use a spatula and push it into my bowl to cook. If it is pourable, I find my end product, too wet.
I think you're right, I think I usually have a pretty thick batter as well. Mine couldn't have been too thin because I remember smoothing the top with my spatula. I just remembered I took a pic of the batter in the pan!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 02-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #1332
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
I think you're right, I think I usually have a pretty thick batter as well. Mine couldn't have been too thin because I remember smoothing the top with my spatula. I just remembered I took a pic of the batter in the pan!!
That may be the key. It is a cake so people want it to be the consistency of cake batter whereas it really should be closer to thick, muffin batter. The amount of water (or liquid) is the variable depending on the brands of product you are using.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #1333
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/206/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Per your questions- I poured the water slowly as I think it absorbs better that way. I did not end up using all 2 cups because it would have been way too liquidy. At one and a quarter cups, it was already looking too thin for cake batter. So I didn't use all the water. I used a 13x9 inch pan.
If the batter is too thin, perhaps you can let it sit a bit and see if it absorbs more water? I made pancakes with the BTF mix the other day and I had to add water between the first batch and the last batch because it thickened up so much. I'm wondering if when the cake was in the oven but before it actually was cooked at all, it may have really thickened up without you knowing it and thus didn't cook all the way through.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #1334
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
That may be the key. It is a cake so people want it to be the consistency of cake batter whereas it really should be closer to thick, muffin batter. The amount of water (or liquid) is the variable depending on the brands of product you are using.
I've been saying that all along, I just add enough liquid to get a thick batter if I'm making cakes and muffin and when making biscuits its a soft dough, just a little thicker than the cakes and muffins.

I thought it might be the liquids because the texture on some of the pics looked mushy.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #1335
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
If the batter is too thin, perhaps you can let it sit a bit and see if it absorbs more water? I made pancakes with the BTF mix the other day and I had to add water between the first batch and the last batch because it thickened up so much. I'm wondering if when the cake was in the oven but before it actually was cooked at all, it may have really thickened up without you knowing it and thus didn't cook all the way through.
I really don't think it was too thick, I think we're figuring out that it was too thin. She said the batter wasn't absorbing all the liquid and it was too thin.

Think about it, if the batter is too thin the outcome is going to be wet and mushy, too thick and it will be dry. It needs to be a thickish cake batter, so that you need to smooth out the top.

I remember when I was telling how I make my microwave cakes and muffins I said that the batter is thickish and needs to be smoothed over on the top.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #1336
Senior LCF Member

My cake batter was not runny but it wasn't heavy. It was thick but light - almost like adding baking soda and having it fizz up a little with all the bubbles in the dough. If any of that makes sense. I had let it sit for a while but didn't notice if it changed consistency. The top of my cake looked a lot like yours Gina. I had to smooth it down to level it out.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #1337
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/206/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
I really don't think it was too thick, I think we're figuring out that it was too thin. She said the batter wasn't absorbing all the liquid and it was too thin.

Think about it, if the batter is too thin the outcome is going to be wet and mushy, too thick and it will be dry. It needs to be a thickish cake batter, so that you need to smooth out the top.

I remember when I was telling how I make my microwave cakes and muffins I said that the batter is thickish and needs to be smoothed over on the top.
Ok, I guess I thought she was saying it was too thin initially, that's why she didn't all add the water the recipe called for. Then if she put it in the oven, perhaps it thickened up in the oven without her realizing it. Thus she really didn't have enough water for it to bake properly. I guess I can see it would be more likely to be dry if there wasn't enough water though.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 02-25-2013 at 06:06 PM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #1338
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Could It Be?

that you are using raw coconut flour? Most of us have just
regular Bob's Red Mill coconut flour, or other regular coconut flour?

Your peaches and cream cake sound delicious.
Sometime try my peaches almond and cream chicken salad
in volume 3 of LCarbing Amond Friends.

Soon as I get some raw coconut flour I'll try the cake.

thanks so much for your input.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #1339
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
My cake batter was not runny but it wasn't heavy. It was thick but light - almost like adding baking soda and having it fizz up a little with all the bubbles in the dough. If any of that makes sense. I had let it sit for a while but didn't notice if it changed consistency. The top of my cake looked a lot like yours Gina. I had to smooth it down to level it out.
Yes, and yours came out good right? I know you said it had more of a pound cake texture but that may not have anything to do with the liquids it could be the different brands of ingredients. At least you said yours baked up fine I think?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #1340
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Ok, I guess I thought she was saying it was too thin initially, that's why she didn't all add the water the recipe called for. Then if she put it in the oven, perhaps it thickened up in the oven without her realizing it. Thus she really didn't have enough water for it to bake properly. I guess I can see it would be more likely to be dry if there wasn't enough water though.
Yes she did say it was too thin and I think that's why it took so long to cook and came out so moist and gummy.

If the batter had thickened up in the oven it probably wouldn't have taken as long to cook and not been so wet, it would have had a better texture.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #1341
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
that you are using raw coconut flour? Most of us have just
regular Bob's Red Mill coconut flour, or other regular coconut flour?

Your peaches and cream cake sound delicious.
Sometime try my peaches almond and cream chicken salad
in volume 3 of LCarbing Amond Friends.

Soon as I get some raw coconut flour I'll try the cake.

thanks so much for your input.
I don't know what everyone else is using but I think we have figured out that the texture of the end result has a lot to do with the amount of liquid used and the consistency of the batter. The different brands may contribute somewhat to the texture but not as far as the batter being too wet or too dry.

I use Coconut Secret coconut flour, I order it from netrition.

I think if you get the batter at the right thickness it will come out well using whatever products you use. That's probably why, when I made my cakes in the microwave I never really measured the liquids but I do remember saying my batter was pretty thick. I have to smooth out the top and it isn't pourable. I always mixed it up in whatever I was cooking it in so I didn't have to poor it, but I do know that I could tip it and nothing would spill out, and I had to smooth over the top. You can't smooth over the top if its too thin.

I wouldn't run out and buy all new ingredients, just work on getting the batter to the right consistency.

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-25-2013 at 06:23 PM..
Old 02-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #1342
Senior LCF Member

Yes. It baked fine. I baked mine at a lower temp though because of my oven. I did 325 and kept checking it with a toothpick about every 5 min after it had been baking for 20 min. I think I ended up baking it for about 35-40 min in all. Sorry, didn't pay attention at the time. The toothpick did not come out clean. It was still a little moist but fairly firm to touch. I think it finished cooking while cooling. Maybe that had something to do with the texture.

Barbo, are you feeling OK? I saw that you were going to have surgery. Hope all is well. I have been lurking and enjoying some of your recipes for a while.

I didn't realize there was a raw vs other coconut flour. Guess I'll have to try that too but I've been pretty happy with the results of most things I've tried with the ingredients I've used. Ouizoid is going to have to pick and choose for the mix if it does get mass produced. Maybe we should all be posting what we use when we make our mixes and what kinds of results we get to narrow it down to best ingredients.

Last edited by Callieco; 02-25-2013 at 06:23 PM..
Old 02-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #1343
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
True!!

Thanks for figuring that out!! I will post this in the sticky thread!

I think it also depends on the protein powder that's used right?
Yes, it would depend on the brand pp, I used 5 carbs to figure but it could be more or less depending on brand.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #1344
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yes. It baked fine. I baked mine at a lower temp though because of my oven. I did 325 and kept checking it with a toothpick about every 5 min after it had been baking for 20 min. I think I ended up baking it for about 35-40 min in all. Sorry, didn't pay attention at the time. The toothpick did not come out clean. It was still a little moist but fairly firm to touch. I think it finished cooking while cooling. Maybe that had something to do with the texture.

Barbo, are you feeling OK? I saw that you were going to have surgery. Hope all is well. I have been lurking and enjoying some of your recipes for a while.

I didn't realize there was a raw vs other coconut flour. Guess I'll have to try that too but I've been pretty happy with the results of most things I've tried with the ingredients I've used. Ouizoid is going to have to pick and choose for the mix if it does get mass produced. Maybe we should all be posting what we use when we make our mixes and what kinds of results we get to narrow it down to best ingredients.

I don't think its the ingredients so much as it is getting the right consistency. The different products may need different amounts of liquids, but that doesn't mean they're no good, know what I mean?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #1345
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmmmm... it could be a couple of things since I am using different products.

The interesting thing is I have been making my individual "Cinnabon" muffin and cakes since 4/12 with no problems, perfect texture.

I did let the batter sit awhile in the bowl to see if it absorbed more liquid so I could get more in, but it didn't. I didn't add all the water as I could see it wasn't going to absorb it. Yet still, the end product had a gummy texture. So maybe the brand of gluc I am using was a problem. Maybe it works well in small amounts for the individual cakes, but becomes gummy when a lot is used for larger items like a cake.

I am using:

Sun Opta canadian harvest oat fiber (from Honeyville)
Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Flour
Honeyville egg white powder
Nutrabio Glucomannan
Rumford Baking Powder
Whey Factors natural whey protein (some of you are using isolate- does that make a difference?)
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #1346
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I don't think its the ingredients so much as it is getting the right consistency. The different products may need different amounts of liquids, but that doesn't mean they're no good, know what I mean?
Yeah, I see what you're saying. When I first started using the mix I was judging whatever I was making by comparing it to the consistency of the real thing and it worked pretty well. I think I need to go back to that. I've been trying to stick too close to the recipes here and in the cookbooks and not using my instincts so some things have not worked out too well.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #1347
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hmmmm... it could be a couple of things since I am using different products.

The interesting thing is I have been making my individual "Cinnabon" muffin and cakes since 4/12 with no problems, perfect texture.

I did let the batter sit awhile in the bowl to see if it absorbed more liquid so I could get more in, but it didn't. I didn't add all the water as I could see it wasn't going to absorb it. Yet still, the end product had a gummy texture. So maybe the brand of gluc I am using was a problem. Maybe it works well in small amounts for the individual cakes, but becomes gummy when a lot is used for larger items like a cake.

I am using:

Sun Opta canadian harvest oat fiber (from Honeyville)
Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Flour
Honeyville egg white powder
Nutrabio Glucomannan
Rumford Baking Powder
Whey Factors natural whey protein (some of you are using isolate- does that make a difference?)

Poor Ouis, she's probably feeling crushed by all this mayhem over her mix.

I really think that it has more to do with the consistency of the batter. You said you let your batter sit to see if you could add more liquid, but why would you want to add more if it was too thin already?

I never let my batter sit after adding the liquid but even if I did I wouldn't want to add more liquid after it sat, even if it did get thicker.
The only time I would add more liquid is if I visibly see dry mix or its really thick and not mixing well.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #1348
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yeah, I see what you're saying. When I first started using the mix I was judging whatever I was making by comparing it to the consistency of the real thing and it worked pretty well. I think I need to go back to that. I've been trying to stick too close to the recipes here and in the cookbooks and not using my instincts so some things have not worked out too well.
That's right, and I have all along even when following a recipe used the amount of liquids that made the batter or dough how I thought it should look.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #1349
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Is there a difference in absorbability between coconut flour and raw coconut flour? Like Barbo, I'd be much more suspicious of the coconut flour.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #1350
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Is there a difference in absorbability between coconut flour and raw coconut flour? Like Barbo, I'd be much more suspicious of the coconut flour.
I'm sure there could very well be, but all that means is that some may need to use more liquid and some may need to use less.

What I'm trying to say is that, it doesn't matter what brand you're using, it will still work, people just need to learn how much liquid they need to use for their own mix.

We don't all have to use the same brand of products, we all just need to figure out how our product works.

When Ouis's mix goes to market, we all will need to learn how her flour mix works and how much liquid to use with it.