Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #1291
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
Yes. Ouizoid is the genius for coming up with this mix. It truly is a miracle mix.

I just ate a little bit now that it's cooled. It's a cross between cake and pound cake and it's wonderful. Can't wait to try it again. Next time I'll get the powdered milk and make it as written - I really want to make a coconut cake.
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #1292
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
Yes. Ouizoid is the genius for coming up with this mix. It truly is a miracle mix.

I just ate a little bit now that it's cooled. It's a cross between cake and pound cake and it's wonderful. Can't wait to try it again. Next time I'll get the powdered milk and make it as written - I really want to make a coconut cake.
If you have a coconut cake recipe you can sub this flour mix for the flour in your recipe and use the same amount of liquid(whatever liquid is in the recipe) as you do flour and use the same amounts of everything else that's in the recipe. So say the recipe calls for 1 cup of flour, you would use 1 cup of liquid. That's how I do cake and muffin recipes using this flour mix.

When I make pizza and biscuits I use about 1/4-1/2 cup of liquids per cup of flour mix in the recipe.

I think my cake tastes so much like regular cake because I used the buttery vanilla emulsion, it gave it an incredible taste. I'm not sure why it came out with the same texture as a high carb cake. If it was the amount of time I mixed it or the brands I used but I completely fooled my kids with it.

I'm glad your cake came out good, its always nice to see a recipe that works for me, work for someone else. It's a beautiful looking cake too!

I don't know of you saw my post about your bread but I used your recipe to make the bread and then used it for French toast and everyone liked it!!

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-24-2013 at 04:27 PM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #1293
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
If I missed this, please point me to the right post. Has anyone tried to use this to flour and saute something? Can it be used like flour to make, say, fried shrimp? As in, would it get crisp/crunchy if used this way?
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #1294
Senior LCF Member

Gotta get me some emulsions.

Gina, I did see you tried the french toast. I thought it made pretty tasty french toast too.

I have a question about this:
Quote:
I made pancakes using Callieco's recipe for bread, the same one I used for french toast. I made a double batch and I used 1 tsp baking powder and only 1 egg. They came out light and fluffy. Delicious!! I use water instead of sparkling water and added some vanilla extract as well.
Did you add any more liquid to the recipe or was it just the same amount?
Old 02-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #1295
Major LCF Poster!

I doubled the batch and I'm pretty sure I used 1/2 cup of water.

It was a thickish batter but it spread out really well and made light and fluffy pancakes. I might have just added the water until it looked good to me. I don't think you can really mess this up though. If its too thick just add more water, too thin add more mix.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #1296
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Gina, Gina, Gina - I made your pizza crust recipe tonight, the first one you posted I think, and I loved it!! I did have to add an additional 1/4 cup of the flour mix cause my dough was too wet. I pre-baked the dough at 425 for 10 mins., it had a rustic type texture, like foccacia bread. When I was ready to eat, I put my toppings on and baked an additional 15 mins at 425. I ate 2 slices for dinner but I could have easily eaten more, it was delish! As you said you can pick it up and eat it like regular pizza and the crust looked just like any high carb pizza. Great recipe, Gina/great flour mix, Ouiz!

I took pics, will post them in a day or so.

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #1297
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Gina, Gina, Gina - I made your pizza crust recipe tonight, the first one you posted I think, and I loved it!! I did have to add an additional 1/4 cup of the flour mix cause my dough was too wet. I pre-baked the dough at 425 for 10 mins., it had a rustic type texture, like foccacia bread. When I was ready to eat, I put my toppings on and baked an additional 15 mins at 425. I ate 2 slices for dinner but I could have easily eaten more, it was delish! As you said you can pick it up and eat it like regular pizza and the crust looked just like any high carb pizza. Great recipe, Gina/great flour mix, Ouiz!

I took pics, will post them in a day or so.
That's awesome!!! I'm so happy you tried it and liked it! It's the one with the yeast right? I think that was the first one I made.

I can't wait to see the pics too!!
Old 02-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #1298
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, it was the one with yeast, it smelled very yeasty but I didn't taste a lot of yeast.

I've been wondering, has anyone come up with a carb count for 1 cup of the BTF mix? I know we're all using some different products to make the mix but they are all in the same vicinity carbwise. Since we're using the mix in larger quantities not just the quick microwave amounts I think it would be nice to have an approximation of what to count as carbs. Anyone else feel this way? I think I'll take a closer look at the larger quantity mixes and see what I can come up with, if anyone else is interested, feel free to chime in here.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #1299
Major LCF Poster!

Buttoni posted the nutritional info for us.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16228167
Old 02-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #1300
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougottaeat View Post
Thanks for the replies! I have had some success with the muffins but not with the biscuits baked in the oven. Way too dry! I may try again adding a whole egg. I used sour cream instead of buttermilk because thats what I had on hand and this was suggested as a sub in one of the posts.
I just thought of something else that can cause things to be dry besides using enough liquids. It seems that this mix also needs some type of fat too.

When making buscuits you want to try cutting some butter into the dry ingredients. I would say to use about 2-4 tbsp per cup of flour mix, cut the butter in then add milk or water liquid you're using, until you have a soft dough. If the dough looks dry add more milk.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #1301
Major LCF Poster!

[QUOTE=Callieco;16278208]Gina, I made your yellow cake as a pecan peach upside down cake. I didn't have the powdered milk in the recipes so instead of plain water, I made a combo of cream, low carb milk, water, coconut splenda syrup just for the coconut flavor and it is beautiful.

It seems more muffin like but that was eating it warm. Waiting to see how the texture is when cool. It could be other reasons too since I let the batter sit a while when preparing the pan or baking at a lower temp because my oven is the worst...but regardless it's fantastic.

Callie, do you think you could type out how you made your cake so I can add it to the sticky thread.

Don't worry about it if you can't, I was just thinking people would like to know how you made it and I could post your recipe with a pic of your beautiful cake.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #1302
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post

Remember that if you subtract fiber, the carb count is much lower.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #1303
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

I saw that but I wanted to figure per cup numbers, I want to be able to figure the amount of total carbs in a recipe divided by the number of servings of it for a carb count per serving. I've come up with 11.7 carbs per cup for the BTF.

I wanted for know carbs per slice for the pizza and I've come up with about 2.4, I got 8 slices from mine. Using my numbers I had 17.5 for the BTF, 2 for 1/2 tsp. sugar, 0 for the yeast, oil, salt and water. This may not be exact but is certainly close enough for my purposes.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #1304
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Remember that if you subtract fiber, the carb count is much lower.
True!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
I saw that but I wanted to figure per cup numbers, I want to be able to figure the amount of total carbs in a recipe divided by the number of servings of it for a carb count per serving. I've come up with 11.7 carbs per cup for the BTF.

I wanted for know carbs per slice for the pizza and I've come up with about 2.4, I got 8 slices from mine. Using my numbers I had 17.5 for the BTF, 2 for 1/2 tsp. sugar, 0 for the yeast, oil, salt and water. This may not be exact but is certainly close enough for my purposes.
Thanks for figuring that out!! I will post this in the sticky thread!

I think it also depends on the protein powder that's used right?

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-24-2013 at 10:12 PM..
Old 02-25-2013, 03:13 AM   #1305
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KCSoccer
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougottaeat View Post
Thanks for the replies! I have had some success with the muffins but not with the biscuits baked in the oven. Way too dry! I may try again adding a whole egg. I used sour cream instead of buttermilk because thats what I had on hand and this was suggested as a sub in one of the posts.
I think you made the biscuits from my post, #345? Anyway, I believe the sour cream isn't liquidy enough for the coconut flour to absorb. Subs for buttermilk would be LC milk or almond milk with just a dash of lemon juice for acid. Thinning the sour cream with water might work as well.

I've made these biscuits 4-5 times now. The texture is like a southern shortbread-style biscuit (think White Lily flour biscuits, not canned Pilsbury ones). With a bit of sweetener added, they'd make a good shortbread base for strawberry shortcakes (real shortbread, not the store-bought sponge cake type).

I've tried the microwave version of the biscuit - it rises higher, but I really dislike the texture of microwaved breads. To each his/her own!

The great thing about this mix is that it is so easy to tweak to your tastes. Tweak On!
KCSoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:37 AM   #1306
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSoccer View Post
I think you made the biscuits from my post, #345? Anyway, I believe the sour cream isn't liquidy enough for the coconut flour to absorb. Subs for buttermilk would be LC milk or almond milk with just a dash of lemon juice for acid. Thinning the sour cream with water might work as well.

I've made these biscuits 4-5 times now. The texture is like a southern shortbread-style biscuit (think White Lily flour biscuits, not canned Pilsbury ones). With a bit of sweetener added, they'd make a good shortbread base for strawberry shortcakes (real shortbread, not the store-bought sponge cake type).

I've tried the microwave version of the biscuit - it rises higher, but I really dislike the texture of microwaved breads. To each his/her own!

The great thing about this mix is that it is so easy to tweak to your tastes. Tweak On!
I need to make those again. The few non LC members of my family RAVED over these.

Question for you pea protein powder users - the one I saw at netrition had fructose as the 2nd ingredient. The other was raw yellow pea protein with substantially fewer carbs.
Where do you get your pea protein powder please?
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #1307
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I need to make those again. The few non LC members of my family RAVED over these.

Question for you pea protein powder users - the one I saw at netrition had fructose as the 2nd ingredient. The other was raw yellow pea protein with substantially fewer carbs.
Where do you get your pea protein powder please?
The NOW pea protein I get from netrition is just 100% yellow pea protein isolate.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #1308
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarenL
Stats: 125/121/110
WOE: HFLC GF SF
Start Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
This is similar to several biscuit recipes that I have read on this thread, but with the addition of a little grated cheese (I used Mexican Blend). I've tweaked the recipe until it is the best lc biscuit I have ever tasted, and believe me, living here in the South, I am a biscuit fanatic!

Diana’s BTF Biscuits
• ¼ cup original Better Than Flour mix, using unsweetened whey protein and no erythritol in the mix
• ¼ tsp baking soda
• ¼ tsp extra baking powder
• ¼ tsp salt
• 2 tsp cold butter, chopped into tiny pieces
• ¼ cup buttermilk, or as needed
• 1 tbsp. grated cheddar cheese

Mix all dry ingredients well. Mix in the chopped butter pieces and chop up a little more until it is well incorporated into the flour. Stir in the cheese. Drizzle in the buttermilk until the dough comes together. If needed, I add a little very cold water until as the dough soaks up the liquid, until a soft dough is formed.

Spoon the dough into a small baking dish (I used a round, cylindrical dish about 4” in diameter, sprayed with cooking spray). Microwave or until just barely not gooshy on the top. My microwave takes about 2 ½ minutes to get to this point, but I think my little microwave is pretty low wattage. Do not overdo—your biscuit should not be firm and dry on the top, just not soft enough for your finger to sink right in when you push on it.

Turn out onto a cooling rack—the biscuit will be slightly damp. Let cool and dry for a few minutes. Slice horizontally into 2 or three pieces, brush with melted butter and toast under the broiler until golden and a little crispy on top.

I usually get 3 slices out of this and most of the time I have one slice with an egg and some bacon or sausage. It is very filling.
Trying this today. In the oven now!!! Can't wait! (skeered to try microwave baking - can't teach an old dog . . .)

They are about 1" high- I think if I had done them in a muffin pan they would be higher, but they look the perfect size for an egg mcmuffin!

Last edited by CarenL; 02-25-2013 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: add picture
CarenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #1309
Senior LCF Member

BTW, I LOVE the tiny batch recipes here! Less risky re expensive ingredients! If its a fail, it's not so bad! (I seem to have a 50/50 ratio of fails/successes.)
Old 02-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #1310
Senior LCF Member

Verdict: Success. Won't change a thing!! Thank you Diana!! Perfect egg mcmuffin component or biscuit for sausage and gravy. Delicious as a stand alone.

Are you kidding? I seriously can haz sausage & gravy? And not gain weight. Truly a miracle!!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #1311
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
The NOW pea protein I get from netrition is just 100% yellow pea protein isolate.
Thank you so much!
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #1312
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Gina, I made your yellow cake as a pecan peach upside down cake. I didn't have the powdered milk in the recipes so instead of plain water, I made a combo of cream, low carb milk, water, coconut splenda syrup just for the coconut flavor and it is beautiful.

It seems more muffin like but that was eating it warm. Waiting to see how the texture is when cool. It could be other reasons too since I let the batter sit a while when preparing the pan or baking at a lower temp because my oven is the worst...but regardless it's fantastic.

Gina is short for Genius right? I mean really - look at this:

Is the recipe for this entire cake posted somewhere? I looked through both this thread and the recipe thread and didn't see anything for it? other than the pics?...please?
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #1313
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
Is the recipe for this entire cake posted somewhere? I looked through both this thread and the recipe thread and didn't see anything for it? other than the pics?...please?
Here it is

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16273406
Old 02-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #1314
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
I feeling verklempt!

Besides peaches, what else is in the topping on this?

Last edited by CindyCRNA; 02-25-2013 at 10:51 AM..
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #1315
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Homemade Yellow Cake

2 Cups BTF Mix
1 1/2 Cups Sugar ( I used 3/4 Cup xylitol and liquid Splenda to equal 3/4 Cup
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1/2 Cup Non-Fat Dry Milk ( I used Whole Milk Powder, but you can use non-fat or just replace water in recipe with your favorite milk substitute)
2 Cups Water
2-3 teaspoons Vanilla ( I used Buttery Vanilla Emullsion
1/2 Cup Butter softened
3 Large Eggs

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and non-fat dry milk.

Add water, vanilla, butter, and eggs. Combine with an electric mixer then beat two more minutes. Pour into a greased and floured cake pan. Bake at 350-degrees, using these baking times (watch carefully as your oven may vary–test for doneness using a toothpick):

8″ or 9″ cake rounds — 20-25 minutes 13 x 9 pan — 35-40 minutes cupcakes — 12-15 minutes tube/bundt pan — 45-50 minutes Don’t overbake! You’ll dry out your cake.

This is hands down the BEST low carb cake ever!! It actually tastes like REAL cake. My kids thought I made a high carb cake, they were looking at me like I was nuts wolfing down regular cake lol They were saying they couldn't believe it was low carb. I can't wait to take it to a family get together and stun everyone! It's moist, not dry at all. I'm just amazed how good it is.
Thanks Gina! did you powder your xylitol or just use the crystals as is?
Old 02-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #1316
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
I feeling verklempt!

Besides peaches, what else is in the topping on this?
Sorry, this is just the basic yellow cake. Callie didn't post the upside down peach cake recipe.

Quote:
Thanks Gina! did you powder your xylitol or just use the crystals as is?
I think I did powder it slightly.

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-25-2013 at 12:15 PM..
Old 02-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #1317
Senior LCF Member

When I made the peach upside down cake I used Gina's recipe for the cake. I didn't have milk powder so I subbed cream and water and low carb milk along with about 2 tbl coconut flavored splenda syrup.

The topping:
Melt 2 tbl butter and put it in the bottom of a cake pan. Sprinkle about 1/2 cup sweetener over the butter. I used a combo of 1/4 cup swerve mixed with 1/2 tsp molasses and 1 tbl Just Like Sugar Brown and about 2 Tbl of Tagatose. Layer peaches over the bottom - I used a can of no sugar canned peaches - and sprinkle with pecans.

I forgot: pour the cake over the topping and
Bake per cake instructions. Let it cool for about 10 minutes. Turn it onto a plate.

You could actually use any combo of fruit/berries/nuts for this. It's so simple. I'm having a piece right now and it tastes so good. The cake still has the texture of pound cake but it seems as though baked goods made with this mix taste even better next day - like the flavors and ingredients have time to settle and meld. You know how pound cake gets that little almost crunchy sugary edge...well I got that with this cake

Last edited by Callieco; 02-25-2013 at 12:23 PM..
Old 02-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #1318
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
When I made the peach upside down cake I used Gina's recipe for the cake. I didn't have milk powder so I subbed cream and water and low carb milk along with about 2 tbl coconut flavored splenda syrup.

The topping:
Melt 2 tbl butter and put it in the bottom of a cake pan. Sprinkle about 1/2 cup sweetener over the butter. I used a combo of 1/4 cup swerve mixed with 1/2 tsp molasses and 1 tbl Just Like Sugar Brown and about 2 Tbl of Tagatose. Layer peaches over the bottom - I used a can of no sugar canned peaches - and sprinkle with pecans.

I forgot: pour the cake over the topping and
Bake per cake instructions. Let it cool for about 10 minutes. Turn it onto a plate.

You could actually use any combo of fruit/berries/nuts for this. It's so simple. I'm having a piece right now and it tastes so good. The cake still has the texture of pound cake but it seems as though baked goods made with this mix taste even better next day - like the flavors and ingredients have time to settle and meld. You know how pound cake gets that little almost crunchy sugary edge...well I got that with this cake
Thanks for posting your recipe Callie! It sounds yummy!! I bet a pineapple upside down cake would be great too.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #1319
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks for posting your recipe Callie! It sounds yummy!! I bet a pineapple upside down cake would be great too.
I'm planning this as a surprise for my parents. They love Pineapple upside down cake and haven't had it since mom was diagnosed celiac 7 years ago....they be SOOOO happy!
Old 02-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #1320
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm planning this as a surprise for my parents. They love Pineapple upside down cake and haven't had it since mom was diagnosed celiac 7 years ago....they be SOOOO happy!
That's awesome!! I just posted the whole recipe for the cake on the sticky thread.