Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 05:15 AM   #1261
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougottaeat View Post
So you are using egg white powder in the mix and then adding a whole egg as well?
Not answering for TBipp, but I definitely do. I find that recipes like this one are very versatile and it's really hard to mess things up. But then, I consider a recipe to be a mere "suggestion" anyway.
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2013, 05:34 AM   #1262
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharkness View Post
Not answering for TBipp, but I definitely do. I find that recipes like this one are very versatile and it's really hard to mess things up. But then, I consider a recipe to be a mere "suggestion" anyway.
I do too. I like it as a starting point to make what I want. It does take a lot of liquids. Think about it you have 3 ingredieents in there that suck up liquids.

Don't forget the op's orginal recipe has 1/2 c. liquids. I think you can play with this any way you want. Try the pizza that Gina made it is great.

I'm having so much fun with it. Love love this mix.

Last edited by rosethorns; 02-24-2013 at 05:35 AM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:41 AM   #1263
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
so just to be clear-most of you who are making the single serve muffin are also adding an egg to your recipes in addition to the eggwhite powder that is in the original mix? I have been making the muffins without the extra egg-just using a variety of liquids-but would like to know if you who do add the egg find the muffins better than just plain liquids? thanks for the tips and help from all the good cooks here!
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:52 AM   #1264
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
So you are using egg white powder in the mix and then adding a whole egg as well?
Yes. I do this because it is my breakfast and I do not want to be hungry. On egg days, I eat two-three so this is still less than an egg day.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:58 AM   #1265
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbatchelor View Post
so just to be clear-most of you who are making the single serve muffin are also adding an egg to your recipes in addition to the eggwhite powder that is in the original mix? I have been making the muffins without the extra egg-just using a variety of liquids-but would like to know if you who do add the egg find the muffins better than just plain liquids? thanks for the tips and help from all the good cooks here!
I don't add an extra egg for the muffin. You have to find what works for you.

I do to other recipes, depends on what I'm making.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #1266
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: yougottaeat
Stats: 173/129/130
Start Date: July 1 2003
Thanks for the replies! I have had some success with the muffins but not with the biscuits baked in the oven. Way too dry! I may try again adding a whole egg. I used sour cream instead of buttermilk because thats what I had on hand and this was suggested as a sub in one of the posts.
yougottaeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #1267
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
so just to be clear-most of you who are making the single serve muffin are also adding an egg to your recipes in addition to the egg white powder that is in the original mix? I have been making the muffins without the extra egg-just using a variety of liquids-but would like to know if you who do add the egg find the muffins better than just plain liquids? thanks for the tips and help from all the good cooks here!
I do not add an egg to my recipe when making either a biscuit or a little cake.
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #1268
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: whoknew
WOE: SyndromeX
Start Date: June 2007
Chocolate Chip Cookies

In one bowl, whisk together:
1 cup almond flour
1 cup Better Than Flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

In separate bowl, cream together
1 cup Butter (softened or partially melted)
1 cup granular Erythritol
3/8 tsp NuStevia powder (equal to 1/2 cup sugar)
1 1/2 tsps black strap molasses
1 egg.

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well. This actually looks and feels like cookie dough.

Add in what you want to use as chips. I use about 1/2 cup of chips (100 gms by weight).

NOTES: I use a cookie dough scoop equal to 1 tablespoon. I also line a pan with aluminum foil and spray with Pam. I can lift the foil out and set aside to let cookies cool and refoil the pan and continue baking. I also used a Silpat sheet on a pan. The aluminum foil browns the bottoms of the cookies more than the Silpat.

Drop cookies onto cookie sheet and press down with fingers. Cookie is about 3/8" to 1/2" thick. These bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

These could be made thinner, but I think they would bake quicker, burn easily...I will find out next time!

I got about 40 cookies.
For the brands of ingredients I used, NET carb count is 31.3. (I do not count sugar alcohols and fiber). The 31.3 carbs does NOT include the chips. I use what I can get at the time and it's easier to just add in the new chips' carb count. I also think this can be a good cookie base for me to use with different add-ins like a few raisins per cookie, chopped cranberries, etc.

The cookies turned out to be a dull crisp, not a snappy crisp. They don't fall apart into grains in your mouth; they hold up well to dunking in coffee!! My non-lc hubby said they were a pretty good choc chip cookie, tasted like the real thing. (my opinion: they are good, satisfy the need, but they are NOT a toll house cookie!!!!)

dianne

Last edited by whoknew; 02-24-2013 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: forgot something -- of course!
whoknew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #1269
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: whoknew
WOE: SyndromeX
Start Date: June 2007
Please note the oven temp in my choc chip recipe should be 325 degrees, NOT 350.
sorry.....dianne
whoknew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #1270
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Thank you for clarifying. I have had two epic fails with this bake mix; and now I see that I wasn't adding enough liquid. I could see the posts with the nice final products and all of your enthusiastic comments, and just didn't 'get it.' I'll try that cinnamon roll one more time adding more liquid.
You're welcome, adding extra liquids and being careful not to over cook will prevent dryness in the finished product. I find that when I make the muffins and biscuits in the microwave I need to stop it as soon as the top is dry, otherwise its cooked too long and dry, there's a fine line with this mix.

Another thing is, I think that different brands act differently as well, so if you are following an actual recipe and its too dry then you may be using different brand of coconut flour and yours might need more liquids. If you use the same brand you can get to know how it works in recipes.

Quote:
I've never needed to add an extra egg to my muffins.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #1271
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarenL
Stats: 125/121/110
WOE: HFLC GF SF
Start Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Thanks for the replies! I have had some success with the muffins but not with the biscuits baked in the oven. Way too dry! I may try again adding a whole egg. I used sour cream instead of buttermilk because thats what I had on hand and this was suggested as a sub in one of the posts.
I had the same biscuit experience. Used sour cream in place of the buttermilk because i had no buttermilk. Epic fail. Sahara desert dry. I have buttermilk now and am going to try again! Fingers crossed!
CarenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #1272
Senior LCF Member

Has anybody tried combining the BTF mix with Jen's bake mix and subbing for regular white flour? Just thinking out loud. I'll try this with the chocolate chip cookie recipe above and post results.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #1273
Blabbermouth!!!

I think I'll try the biscuits see what you are saying. But I don't use sour cream or buttermilk. It may not come out the same.

Which one are you making post 5 or 6 on the recipe thread? Sorry somebody else is going to have to do it. I'm allergic to dairy. I will make them but they won't be the same , I have to change everything.

Caren I'm thinking out loud also. If I just had sour cream I wold have thinned it out. 1/4c sour cream 1/4 water and mix together until you have what you need .

May we all live our life as long as we want!

Last edited by rosethorns; 02-24-2013 at 12:09 PM..
Old 02-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #1274
Senior LCF Member

update: i used 1/2 of whokew's recipe above #1268. Used jens bake mix in lieu of the almond flour. used 1/4 cup of erythritol and 50 drops of stevia clear (cause i have erythritol mint/crystal phobia). The dough feels and tastes like toll house.
First batch is in the oven now.

Last edited by CarenL; 02-24-2013 at 12:50 PM..
Old 02-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #1275
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Thanks everyone for the replies about using the egg in the muffins-I am in a long learning curve it seems!
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #1276
Senior LCF Member

It looks as though i'm going to end up with chocolate chip drop biscuits! Stay tuned.

Last edited by CarenL; 02-24-2013 at 12:35 PM..
Old 02-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #1277
Blabbermouth!!!

They still look beautiful Caren .
Old 02-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #1278
Senior LCF Member

Old 02-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #1279
Senior LCF Member

Yup! Chocolate chip drop biscuits! Definitely too cake-like. I got a lovely brown on the bottom though.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #1280
Senior LCF Member

i still have dough left - any suggestions on additions to make the cookies flatter and less muffin like? Milk? Melted butter?
Old 02-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #1281
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post

Caren I'm thinking out loud also. If I just had sour cream I wold have thinned it out. 1/4c sour cream 1/4 water and mix together until you have what you need .
Esther - yes, that sounds correct - adding water to the sour cream. That probably would have made the difference. I might try the biscuits again, but I am going to keep fiddling with these cookies for a bit. Caren
Old 02-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #1282
Senior LCF Member

ok, added about 2 tsp of coconut oil to the dough and mixed it all in good.

Flattened out the drop cookies into little pizzas about 3" in diameter. They are in the oven now. Hubby has already eaten 2 of the little bisquit ones. The flavor is good. Getting close!

Old 02-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #1283
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elainesmith
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2010
Alton Brown had a show on chocolate cookies and he used egg whites instead of whole egg.

MY FIRST EVER TWEAK!!! I tweaked your recipe by using 2 egg whites from the carton, black walnuts instead of chocolate chips (DH's turn for some treat and he doesn't care for chocolate) and I added 1 t double strength vanilla.

I also mashed cookie dough balls with plastic wrapped baking powder can to a cookie flatness...maybe they won't be biscuits.

Have no way to make pictures...

They were:

not biscuits,

spread a little wider than can,

reminds me of a pecan sandy but black walnut.

Elaine
elainesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #1284
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainesmith View Post
Alton Brown had a show on chocolate cookies and he used egg whites instead of whole egg.

MY FIRST EVER TWEAK!!! I tweaked your recipe by using 2 egg whites from the carton, black walnuts instead of chocolate chips (DH's turn for some treat and he doesn't care for chocolate) and I added 1 t double strength vanilla.

I also mashed cookie dough balls with plastic wrapped baking powder can to a cookie flatness...maybe they won't be biscuits.

Have no way to make pictures...

They were:

not biscuits,

spread a little wider than can,

reminds me of a pecan sandy but black walnut.

Elaine
Hi! Hope they were yummy! They sound like it. And thanks for the vanilla tweak! It didn't occur to me that whoknew's recipe didn't call for vanilla!
Here are my flattened out ones. They look promising! DH is the official taste tester/guinea pig/disposal. He'll give me his assessment and I will report back. I'm pleased with the browning.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #1285
Senior LCF Member

DH Verdict: "they taste a little cornbready, like you used thick flour instead of thin flour".

I'm not sure what that means exactly, but, I think I'll go back to the drawing board on this. Good flavor, just not the right mouthfeel. Its so fun to play with recipes like this!
Old 02-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #1286
Senior LCF Member

DH loved the black walnut ones I made. I had coarsely chopped and toasted them so that might have covered the cornmealy texture. I didn't notice it though and I AM THE PICKY ONE....lol

I got 51 cookies. The OP said 31.3 net carbs for the chip-less batter. Black walnut info said 0 carbs but I'm adding 3 just to be safe... 34.3 total for recipe equals 51 cookies with

0.672 net carbs each WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

NOT BAD for cookie! Next time I'm powdering the "E" because even though I creamed and creamed the butter and it, it still was crystally to picky me. And I'm going to use less "E" and add homemade splenda drops...because I prefer the drops/"E" combo.

Elaine
Old 02-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #1287
Senior LCF Member

My black walnut sandies looked just like CarenL's chocolate chip ones except my nuts were smaller and less dark.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #1288
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
Gina, I made your yellow cake as a pecan peach upside down cake. I didn't have the powdered milk in the recipes so instead of plain water, I made a combo of cream, low carb milk, water, coconut splenda syrup just for the coconut flavor and it is beautiful.

It seems more muffin like but that was eating it warm. Waiting to see how the texture is when cool. It could be other reasons too since I let the batter sit a while when preparing the pan or baking at a lower temp because my oven is the worst...but regardless it's fantastic.

Gina is short for Genius right? I mean really - look at this:

Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #1289
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenL View Post
Hi! Hope they were yummy! They sound like it. And thanks for the vanilla tweak! It didn't occur to me that whoknew's recipe didn't call for vanilla!
Here are my flattened out ones. They look promising! DH is the official taste tester/guinea pig/disposal. He'll give me his assessment and I will report back. I'm pleased with the browning.
Wow those look super yummy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
Gina, I made your yellow cake as a pecan peach upside down cake. I didn't have the powdered milk in the recipes so instead of plain water, I made a combo of cream, low carb milk, water, coconut splenda syrup just for the coconut flavor and it is beautiful.

It seems more muffin like but that was eating it warm. Waiting to see how the texture is when cool. It could be other reasons too since I let the batter sit a while when preparing the pan or baking at a lower temp because my oven is the worst...but regardless it's fantastic.

Gina is short for Genius right? I mean really - look at this:

That looks amazing!!

I'm not the genius, Ouis takes that honor for creating this mix, I just use it in place of regular flour and add extra liquid.

I tried a piece of cake after being in the fridge for two days I cut myself a piece and stuck it in the microwave to take the chill off and it tasted like warm cake from the oven. Mine has the same taste and texture of high carb cake. My kids literally fought over the last piece lol

Great job guys!!! Im loving all the pics to go with the recipes too!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #1290
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Your peach upside down cake is gorgeous, Callieco. I love things like that.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote