Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #1231
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Did you post the recipe yet or did I miss it? I wanted to add the recipe to the sticky thread, and your beautiful pic to a collage.
OMG!!! I typed it in but must not have hit submit!! Let me go recreate it. Thank you Gina!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #1232
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Homemade Yellow Cake

2 Cups BTF Mix
1 1/2 Cups Sugar ( I used 3/4 Cup xylitol and liquid Splenda to equal 3/4 Cup
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1/2 Cup Non-Fat Dry Milk ( I used Whole Milk Powder, but you can use non-fat or just replace water in recipe with your favorite milk substitute)
2 Cups Water
2-3 teaspoons Vanilla ( I used Buttery Vanilla Emullsion
1/2 Cup Butter softened
3 Large Eggs

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and non-fat dry milk.

Add water, vanilla, butter, and eggs. Combine with an electric mixer then beat two more minutes. Pour into a greased and floured cake pan. Bake at 350-degrees, using these baking times (watch carefully as your oven may vary–test for doneness using a toothpick):

8″ or 9″ cake rounds — 20-25 minutes 13 x 9 pan — 35-40 minutes cupcakes — 12-15 minutes tube/bundt pan — 45-50 minutes Don’t overbake! You’ll dry out your cake.

This is hands down the BEST low carb cake ever!! It actually tastes like REAL cake. My kids thought I made a high carb cake, they were looking at me like I was nuts wolfing down regular cake lol They were saying they couldn't believe it was low carb. I can't wait to take it to a family get together and stun everyone! It's moist, not dry at all. I'm just amazed how good it is.
Gina, the cake is Beauti-ful! I've been trying to stay away from desserts but I may have to make this - AND it's all your fault!! But, hey, I could do much more damage with a high carb cake, right?
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #1233
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
OMG!!! I typed it in but must not have hit submit!! Let me go recreate it. Thank you Gina!
You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Gina, the cake is Beauti-ful! I've been trying to stay away from desserts but I may have to make this - AND it's all your fault!! But, hey, I could do much more damage with a high carb cake, right?
Ha ha well you could always cut the recipe in half.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #1234
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I forgot the recipe!!

Meyer Lemon Snowballs
I get together with a group of woman for tea/coffee. One of the women was recently diagnosed with diabetes and she desperately wanted to have a sugarfree cookie with a strong lemon taste to go with her tea. She loves those lemon and lime cooler cookies. This does not replicate the coolers, but the lemon glaze on them satisfied her need for the lemony flavor she craved. They are similar to Russian Tea Cakes, only with lemon.

These taste better if they are allowed to thoroughly cool and even better after the textures and flavors meld overnight.

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter, softened
Sugar substitute to equal 2/3 cup sugar (I used 16 drops EZ- Sweet)
2 Tbs chia gel (see below)
2 tsp grated meyer lemon zest- avoid white pith
2 Tbs meyer lemon juice
1 cup BetterThan Flour (BTF)
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 c almond flour (the fine grind type)

Instructions
In a bowl, cream butter, sugar substitute, and chia gel until well blended. Mix in lemon juice and zest. Combine BTF and salt; stir into creamed mixture. Mix in almond flour. Mixture should be moist and crumbly but hold together when pinched.

Using a scant Tbs of dough, roll into balls. Place on Silpat baking sheet. (If using ungreased cookie sheet , watch that the bottom doesn’t burn). Bake at 325 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned and firm to the touch.
Remove immediately to wire racks; cool for 5 minutes, then glaze.
Yield: about 20

Glaze
1 cup powdered Erythritol
4 Tbs lemon juice

Mix together until smooth. Roll baked and cooled cookie balls in glaze and let dry on wire rack.

Basic Chia Gel
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons of chia seeds
1 cup of water
Method:
In a bowl, add the seeds to the water and whisk them in with a fork or whisk.
After a few minutes you will need to whisk the gel again to make sure seeds don’t clump together in the bottom of your bowl. Leave to stand for 10 to 15 minutes. This enables the seeds to absorb the liquid.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #1235
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
[QUOTE=Ginaaaaaa; Ha ha well you could always cut the recipe in half.[/QUOTE]

I could, but why would I want to?? Maybe I'll try as a bundt cake and just do a chocolate glaze, I'll sleep on it.

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 02-22-2013 at 07:20 PM..
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #1236
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
I could, but why would I want to?? Maybe I'll try as a bundt cake and just do a chocolate glaze, I'll sleep on it.
True!! lol I just ate a piece right out of the fridge and it was still moist, I can't get over how it tastes just like a yellow cake.

I hope you can post a pic of the Bundt cake, if you decide to make it.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:59 AM   #1237
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KevTN
I made a pizza using the flour mix. I converted an old recipe for a quick and easy pizza crust. It came out really well. It's not real thick, its more of a thin crust pizza. I only used half the recipe because I wanted to try it first. I also didn't add any spices or garlic to the crust, but please feel free to add what you like if you try it. Im waiting for my daughter to get home to hear her verdict on this pizza.

Pizza

1/2 package or 1 1/8 tsp of bread machine yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
3/4 cup warm water
1 1/4 cup flour mix
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt

I have a question please. Not only am I doing low carb but I am diabetic. For the yeast can a sugar sub be used. I would love to do a good thin crispy crust for pizza and this looks good.....Thank you
KevTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #1238
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
I just got my emulsions too. Buttery Sweet Dough and Princess Cake both by Lorann. The Princess Cake has a sweet, citrus smell and the Buttery Sweet Dough smells like sweet, breakfast rolls. Should be fun!!
Can someone pm me the website?
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:27 AM   #1239
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevTN View Post
I made a pizza using the flour mix. I converted an old recipe for a quick and easy pizza crust. It came out really well. It's not real thick, its more of a thin crust pizza. I only used half the recipe because I wanted to try it first. I also didn't add any spices or garlic to the crust, but please feel free to add what you like if you try it. Im waiting for my daughter to get home to hear her verdict on this pizza.

Pizza

1/2 tsp sugar
3/4 cup warm water
1 1/4 cup flour mix
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt

I have a question please. Not only am I doing low carb but I am diabetic. For the yeast can a sugar sub be used. I would love to do a good thin crispy crust for pizza and this looks good.....Thank you
It is only half a teaspoon of sugar for a whole crust. The yeast feeds off the sugar to make it active. That amount of sugar is probably less carbs than adding a packet of splenda or 2.

1/2 tsp sugar has 2 carbs.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #1240
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KevTN
Great thx lterry913!
KevTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #1241
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevTN View Post

Pizza

1/2 tsp sugar
3/4 cup warm water
1 1/4 cup flour mix
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp of sugar isn't much, if you divide the carbs between however many pieces you get.

I've only made this pizza crust once so far and it was a little on the dry side so you may want to add either more water or oil. Other than that it was really good and had a good yeast flavor.

This crust doesn't rise though, without any gluten or starch in the recipe there's no way to get a rise in the dough. I mainly put the yeast in for flavor. I rolled mine pretty thin and it did come out crisp on the bottom and the edges were crunchy.

These pics show the thickness of my crust, and the bottom of the crust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 11051_10200154996389558_1920351902_n-1.jpg (44.0 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-23-2013 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: adding a pic
Old 02-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #1242
Major LCF Poster!

I made the healthified pizza crust last night and used the BTF instead of almond flour and it was very good. I used 3 tbsp of psyllium, 3 eggs and 1 1/4 cup BTF in place of the almond flour, everything else is the same.

I want to try another yeast crust soon but we are really getting tired of pizza. lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #1243
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MSS726
WOE: Low Carb
I still have to get plain protein powder and egg white powder before I can make the mix (can't wait), but was wondering if anyone has attempted a yeast bread yet? I skimmed through the recipes, but couldn't find one.
MSS726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #1244
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS726 View Post
I still have to get plain protein powder and egg white powder before I can make the mix (can't wait), but was wondering if anyone has attempted a yeast bread yet? I skimmed through the recipes, but couldn't find one.
I've only tried a yeast pizza crust, just for the yeast flavor. I think in order to get a rise in a bread there needs to be some type of gluten or starchy flour. This mix doesn't have any gluten or starch in it. You would need to add another flour in, like a wheat, oat or a gluten free flour mix.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #1245
Senior LCF Member

Thank you! I think I will try it in the bread recipe that I currently use in place of the small amount of Carbquick that I am currently using. One more question, does anyone know if I can use eggwhite protein powder? I have Jay Robb, just not enough, and have to place an order, but trying to get away from whey. This would be in addition to the egg white powder.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #1246
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS726 View Post
Thank you! I think I will try it in the bread recipe that I currently use in place of the small amount of Carbquick that I am currently using. One more question, does anyone know if I can use eggwhite protein powder? I have Jay Robb, just not enough, and have to place an order, but trying to get away from whey. This would be in addition to the egg white powder.
I'm not sure if you can replace the whey with egg white but some are using pea protein in place of the whey.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #1247
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Would you consider pea protein? That's what I use.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #1248
Senior LCF Member

I do also have a protein powder that contains pea, artichoke, sprouted amananth, and sprouted quinoa. I could probably use it, but it is vanilla, although not very sweet. It is called Plant Fusion. A definite option, and I will order pea powder next time, unsweetened.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #1249
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Would you consider pea protein? That's what I use.
I find this pea protein you all speak of intriguing. It appears that those of you who use it use it intentionally instead of whey as I think someone said whey is drying.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #1250
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
I made the healthified pizza crust last night and used the BTF instead of almond flour and it was very good. I used 3 tbsp of psyllium, 3 eggs and 1 1/4 cup BTF in place of the almond flour, everything else is the same.

I want to try another yeast crust soon but we are really getting tired of pizza. lol
I made your pizza for dinner.O MY GOODNESS!!!!

That is the best low carb pizza I've ever had. I put philly steak and very little cheese on top w/ red, green, yellow peppers , mushrooms , sauteed onions. YUM.

OK I made the coconut flour mix.But I assumed that Gina used that one.

Last edited by rosethorns; 02-23-2013 at 05:37 PM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #1251
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
I made your pizza for dinner.O MY GOODNESS!!!!

That is the best low carb pizza I've ever had. I put philly steak and very little cheese on top w/ red, green, yellow peppers , mushrooms , sauteed onions. YUM.
I'm glad you liked it Esther!!

I tried another piece of my cake. I've kept it in the fridge for 2 days and cut myself a piece and put it in the microwave to take the chill off and it was still very moist and was like eating cake warm out of the oven. Just like high carb cake, it really is amazing! My kids fought over the last piece!!! lol

I love love love this flour mix!!
Old 02-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #1252
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
For those of us not able to keep up with the thread as much, when you all post recipes could you specify if you are using coconut flour or almond flour? I'm hesitant to try recipes otherwise as I only have a batch of mix with coconut flour and stuff keeps coming out very dry. I know some have said they use almond for savory and coconut for sweet, but I can't tell if that's necessarily true in every recipe.
Perdita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #1253
Blabbermouth!!!

Gina which one did you use? I used the coconut flour mix (w/ no sweetner)for the pizza. That's good to do, post which you are using.. I guess I should say I use pea protein because I'm allergic to whey pp. I always have tried to use it.

Last edited by rosethorns; 02-23-2013 at 05:43 PM..
Old 02-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #1254
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
For those of us not able to keep up with the thread as much, when you all post recipes could you specify if you are using coconut flour or almond flour? I'm hesitant to try recipes otherwise as I only have a batch of mix with coconut flour and stuff keeps coming out very dry. I know some have said they use almond for savory and coconut for sweet, but I can't tell if that's necessarily true in every recipe.
I've only ever made the mix using coconut flour.

If your recipes are coming out dry just add more liquid. In my recipes I'm finding that I'm using a 1:1 ratio of flour and liquid. Coconut flour and oat fiber suck up a lot of liquids.

I don't use almond flour because the coconut flour makes a finer crumb and things come out like regular high carb foods.

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-23-2013 at 05:53 PM..
Old 02-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #1255
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
When I use Ouizoid's mix it is her oringinal recipe. I have added to her mix in a recipe but I say that in the recipe.

I did see where some are using almond flour in the mix.

I love this mix.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #1256
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
I am using half coconut flour and half almond flour. It produces a fine grained product with no coconut taste. It is amazing.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #1257
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBipp View Post
I am using half coconut flour and half almond flour. It produces a fine grained product with no coconut taste. It is amazing.
What are you using it in? I might have to try this.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:45 AM   #1258
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
What are you using it in? I might have to try this.
I have only been making small amounts. I use this for a single serving muffin. I use the mix, one egg, almond milk, sweetener, dash salt and flavorings. Makes a very large muffin or mini cake. I like using orange oil and some of my dried cranberries. I frost with cream cheese, butter and sweeteners mixed. It is more like cake texture than muffin.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:51 AM   #1259
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Quote:
I've only ever made the mix using coconut flour.

If your recipes are coming out dry just add more liquid. In my recipes I'm finding that I'm using a 1:1 ratio of flour and liquid. Coconut flour and oat fiber suck up a lot of liquids.

I don't use almond flour because the coconut flour makes a finer crumb and things come out like regular high carb foods.
Thank you for clarifying. I have had two epic fails with this bake mix; and now I see that I wasn't adding enough liquid. I could see the posts with the nice final products and all of your enthusiastic comments, and just didn't 'get it.' I'll try that cinnamon roll one more time adding more liquid.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:12 AM   #1260
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: yougottaeat
Stats: 173/129/130
Start Date: July 1 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBipp View Post
I have only been making small amounts. I use this for a single serving muffin. I use the mix, one egg, almond milk, sweetener, dash salt and flavorings. Makes a very large muffin or mini cake. I like using orange oil and some of my dried cranberries. I frost with cream cheese, butter and sweeteners mixed. It is more like cake texture than muffin.
So you are using egg white powder in the mix and then adding a whole egg as well?
yougottaeat is offline   Reply With Quote