Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #1201
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nikki2777
Ginaaaaaa,
Thanks for the response.

I think I'll finish reading the complete thread here. There are so many wonderful tips/suggestions & chit-chat given. But, thank goodness I can stop copying the recipes! Wonderful what you are doing.

Nikki
Nikki2777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #1202
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elainesmith
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2010
Better than flour mixture

Does anyone use the mixture without the protein powder on a full time basis?

Someone posted a recipe or maybe two, saying it worked for her and I'd like to know if she has continued to use hers that way with success. Sorry don't know who she was...

I love the flour because it works wonderful as written,
don't get me wrong, but before I make up a bigger batch I'd like some encouragement from someone who has already blazed the trail as I use Jay Robb and would love to eliminate that EXPENSIVE component EVEN though it works great.

If it works just as well, I'll make mine that way.

If not, I'll bite the bullet and keep using the Jay Robb.

Thanks, Elaine
elainesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #1203
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by elainesmith View Post

Someone posted a recipe or maybe two, saying it worked for her and I'd like to know if she has continued to use hers that way with success. Sorry don't know who she was...

don't get me wrong, but before I make up a bigger batch I'd like some encouragement from someone who has already blazed the trail as I use Jay Robb and would love to eliminate that EXPENSIVE component EVEN though it works great.

Thanks, Elaine
Elaine, I eliminate it most of the time and I find no difference.

I might suggest you make just the original small batch without the PP- try it that way to see for yourself.

I use Jay Robb, too, when I do use it.
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #1204
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenL View Post
Yay! I finally got the loft that I haven't been able to achieve with almond flour and baking powder alone!

It's a tad dry - maybe 450 degree oven is too much. Next time ill throw in another egg? In the meantime, I'll have to smother it in butter!!! oh darn!

So happy!!
That looks yummy!!

Yes you do need to use more eggs and liquid when you sub the flour mix for almond flour. The coconut flour and oat fiber soak up a lot of liquids.

When I make my donuts I use 1 cup of buttermilk and 1 cup of mix, so a 1:1 mix, liquid measurement works pretty good for those. It's thick like cookie dough, so if I wanted a cake like batter I would need to use even more milk.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #1205
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki2777 View Post
Ginaaaaaa,
Thanks for the response.

I think I'll finish reading the complete thread here. There are so many wonderful tips/suggestions & chit-chat given. But, thank goodness I can stop copying the recipes! Wonderful what you are doing.

Nikki
I also copied most of the ideas and tips. lol
Old 02-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #1206
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Caren, that cornbread looks BEAUTIFUL!
buttoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #1207
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
I added VWG and 8000. It did knead and I let it rise and bake. No go. Good yeast flavor, but not a bread.
I had tried Ginaaaaaa's healthified sub rolls, too. It was a no go even though I added vital wheat gluten. I am going to try it again with this recipe, but I'm going to sub in some whole wheat flour and VWG.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #1208
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Thanks, Elaine
Some people have used Pea Protein in place of the whey and say it works well. It's also cheaper than whey protein powder too.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #1209
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miboje View Post
I had tried Ginaaaaaa's healthified sub rolls, too. It was a no go even though I added vital wheat gluten. I am going to try it again with this recipe, but I'm going to sub in some whole wheat flour and VWG.
I think you do need some type of starch or gluten to get a rise using yeast. You will get the yeast taste but not the rise.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #1210
Major LCF Poster!

I'm so excited!! I just got my bakery emullsions and can't wait to start using them. I like the buttery vanilla, it smells like a yellow cake mix.

I made pancakes using Callieco's recipe for bread, the same one I used for french toast. I made a double batch and I used 1 tsp baking powder and only 1 egg. They came out light and fluffy. Delicious!! I use water instead of sparkling water and added some vanilla extract as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo_1-1.jpg (30.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg photo_2-1.jpg (29.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 02-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #1211
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I'm so excited!! I just got my bakery emullsions and can't wait to start using them. I like the buttery vanilla, it smells like a yellow cake mix.

I made pancakes using Callieco's recipe for bread, the same one I used for french toast. I made a double batch and I used 1 tsp baking powder and only 1 egg. They came out light and fluffy. Delicious!! I use water instead of sparkling water and added some vanilla extract as well.
I just got my emulsions too. Buttery Sweet Dough and Princess Cake both by Lorann. The Princess Cake has a sweet, citrus smell and the Buttery Sweet Dough smells like sweet, breakfast rolls. Should be fun!!
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #1212
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:

O My Goodness Gina that looks great. I enlarged your picture and just sat here and drooled.Yum.
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #1213
Major LCF Poster!

Homemade Yellow Cake

2 Cups BTF Mix
1 1/2 Cups Sugar ( I used 3/4 Cup xylitol and liquid Splenda to equal 3/4 Cup
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1/2 Cup Non-Fat Dry Milk ( I used Whole Milk Powder, but you can use non-fat or just replace water in recipe with your favorite milk substitute)
2 Cups Water
2-3 teaspoons Vanilla ( I used Buttery Vanilla Emullsion
1/2 Cup Butter softened
3 Large Eggs

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and non-fat dry milk.

Add water, vanilla, butter, and eggs. Combine with an electric mixer then beat two more minutes. Pour into a greased and floured cake pan. Bake at 350-degrees, using these baking times (watch carefully as your oven may vary–test for doneness using a toothpick):

8″ or 9″ cake rounds — 20-25 minutes 13 x 9 pan — 35-40 minutes cupcakes — 12-15 minutes tube/bundt pan — 45-50 minutes Don’t overbake! You’ll dry out your cake.

This is hands down the BEST low carb cake ever!! It actually tastes like REAL cake. My kids thought I made a high carb cake, they were looking at me like I was nuts wolfing down regular cake lol They were saying they couldn't believe it was low carb. I can't wait to take it to a family get together and stun everyone! It's moist, not dry at all. I'm just amazed how good it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo_1-2.jpg (58.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg photo_2-2.jpg (44.6 KB, 56 views)
Old 02-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #1214
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Homemade Yellow Cake

2 Cups BTF Mix
1 1/2 Cups Sugar ( I used 3/4 Cup xylitol and liquid Splenda to equal 3/4 Cup
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1/2 Cup Non-Fat Dry Milk ( I used Whole Milk Powder, but you can use non-fat or just replace water in recipe with your favorite milk substitute)
2 Cups Water
2-3 teaspoons Vanilla ( I used Buttery Vanilla Emullsion
1/2 Cup Butter softened
3 Large Eggs

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and non-fat dry milk.

Add water, vanilla, butter, and eggs. Combine with an electric mixer then beat two more minutes. Pour into a greased and floured cake pan. Bake at 350-degrees, using these baking times (watch carefully as your oven may vary–test for doneness using a toothpick):

8″ or 9″ cake rounds — 20-25 minutes 13 x 9 pan — 35-40 minutes cupcakes — 12-15 minutes tube/bundt pan — 45-50 minutes Don’t overbake! You’ll dry out your cake.

This is hands down the BEST low carb cake ever!! It actually tastes like REAL cake. My kids thought I made a high carb cake, they were looking at me like I was nuts wolfing down regular cake lol They were saying they couldn't believe it was low carb. I can't wait to take it to a family get together and stun everyone! It's moist, not dry at all. I'm just amazed how good it is.
Happy birthday to me!!! Looks glorious. Well done! Frosting recipe please??
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #1215
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenL View Post
Yay! I finally got the loft that I haven't been able to achieve with almond flour and baking powder alone!

It's a tad dry - maybe 450 degree oven is too much. Next time ill throw in another egg? In the meantime, I'll have to smother it in butter!!! oh darn!

So happy!!
Caren, that looks like a slice of heaven to me. That slab of butter on the top-- ooooo I can almost taste it!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #1216
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Gina darling that cake is unbelievable.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #1217
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG, that's so pretty, Gina. Yellow cake with chocolate frosting is my husband's favorite cake! I'll be trying this one out!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #1218
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
To get a large amount of the mix, do you use the same proportions (2,2,1,1,1/2) but with cups instead of tablespoons?
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #1219
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
To get a large amount of the mix, do you use the same proportions (2,2,1,1,1/2) but with cups instead of tablespoons?
See here Soren

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...h-recipes.html
Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #1220
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Happy birthday to me!!! Looks glorious. Well done! Frosting recipe please??
I cheated and used carb counters buttercream frosting mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
OMG, that's so pretty, Gina. Yellow cake with chocolate frosting is my husband's favorite cake! I'll be trying this one out!
Mine was always white cake with chocolate frosting, so I'm going to have to keep this cake in mind for my birthday cake. I would just use egg whites instead of the whole eggs.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:38 AM   #1221
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Ginaaaa. That looks great. I was thinking of trying chicken ladies carrot cake and subbing out half of the almond flour with the BTF. What ya think??
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:11 AM   #1222
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Wow. That cake looks great.
Angeloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #1223
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
This is similar to several biscuit recipes that I have read on this thread, but with the addition of a little grated cheese (I used Mexican Blend). I've tweaked the recipe until it is the best lc biscuit I have ever tasted, and believe me, living here in the South, I am a biscuit fanatic!

Diana’s BTF Biscuits
• ¼ cup original Better Than Flour mix, using unsweetened whey protein and no erythritol in the mix
• ¼ tsp baking soda
• ¼ tsp extra baking powder
• ¼ tsp salt
• 2 tsp cold butter, chopped into tiny pieces
• ¼ cup buttermilk, or as needed
• 1 tbsp. grated cheddar cheese

Mix all dry ingredients well. Mix in the chopped butter pieces and chop up a little more until it is well incorporated into the flour. Stir in the cheese. Drizzle in the buttermilk until the dough comes together. If needed, I add a little very cold water until as the dough soaks up the liquid, until a soft dough is formed.

Spoon the dough into a small baking dish (I used a round, cylindrical dish about 4” in diameter, sprayed with cooking spray). Microwave or until just barely not gooshy on the top. My microwave takes about 2 ½ minutes to get to this point, but I think my little microwave is pretty low wattage. Do not overdo—your biscuit should not be firm and dry on the top, just not soft enough for your finger to sink right in when you push on it.

Turn out onto a cooling rack—the biscuit will be slightly damp. Let cool and dry for a few minutes. Slice horizontally into 2 or three pieces, brush with melted butter and toast under the broiler until golden and a little crispy on top.

I usually get 3 slices out of this and most of the time I have one slice with an egg and some bacon or sausage. It is very filling.

Last edited by dianafoot; 02-22-2013 at 05:33 AM..
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #1224
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds good, Diana.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #1225
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Diana!! This sounds awesome. Thanks
Old 02-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #1226
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
This is similar to several biscuit recipes that I have read on this thread, but with the addition of a little grated cheese (I used Mexican Blend). I've tweaked the recipe until it is the best lc biscuit I have ever tasted, and believe me, living here in the South, I am a biscuit fanatic!

Diana’s BTF Biscuits
• ¼ cup original Better Than Flour mix, using unsweetened whey protein and no erythritol in the mix
• ¼ tsp baking soda
• ¼ tsp extra baking powder
• ¼ tsp salt
• 2 tsp cold butter, chopped into tiny pieces
• ¼ cup buttermilk, or as needed
• 1 tbsp. grated cheddar cheese

Mix all dry ingredients well. Mix in the chopped butter pieces and chop up a little more until it is well incorporated into the flour. Stir in the cheese. Drizzle in the buttermilk until the dough comes together. If needed, I add a little very cold water until as the dough soaks up the liquid, until a soft dough is formed.

Spoon the dough into a small baking dish (I used a round, cylindrical dish about 4” in diameter, sprayed with cooking spray). Microwave or until just barely not gooshy on the top. My microwave takes about 2 ½ minutes to get to this point, but I think my little microwave is pretty low wattage. Do not overdo—your biscuit should not be firm and dry on the top, just not soft enough for your finger to sink right in when you push on it.

Turn out onto a cooling rack—the biscuit will be slightly damp. Let cool and dry for a few minutes. Slice horizontally into 2 or three pieces, brush with melted butter and toast under the broiler until golden and a little crispy on top.

I usually get 3 slices out of this and most of the time I have one slice with an egg and some bacon or sausage. It is very filling.

WOWEE this is good.

I make my big batch BTF mix with 1/2 coconut flour, 1/2 almond flour.

I have a high-wattage microwave and it cooked for 1 minute 15 seconds. I put the biscuit on a paper towel to dry, cut in half, toasted, and DH and I are very happy. Good job Diana - very tasty!
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #1227
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendajm View Post
Ginaaaa. That looks great. I was thinking of trying chicken ladies carrot cake and subbing out half of the almond flour with the BTF. What ya think??
I think that would work fine, just remember to add more liquid because the BTF has coconut flour and oat fiber which needs more liquid. In my cake recipe I used a 1:1 ratio for the BTF and water.

Someone else tried it already. I found this quote in the Fantastic Flour sticky thread

Whoknew: This morning, I made Chicken Lady's Almond Flour Fudge Cake and subbed out 2/3 cup of the almond flour for the Better Than Flour -- just curious! The BTF seemed to make it lighter. I did add 1/4 c 1/2 and 1/2 and 1/4 c HWC to get the batter to a consistency of not quite brownie batter. Turned out alright for donuts and mini-cakes. (sorry, no camera-no pics)
Old 02-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #1228
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elainesmith
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2010
Gina's Better Than Flour Pizza- Ginaaaaaa

1 1/4 Cup Better Than Flour Mix
3 Tbsp Psyllium Husk Powder
1/4-1/2 Tsp Salt (didn't really measure)
2 tbsp Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 tbsp of Basil
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Baking Powder
3 Large Eggs
1 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine all dry ingredients and mix until blended. Add eggs and mix until well combined. Add boiling water and mix until dough thickens (I just use a fork to mix the eggs in then add water and mix until all the water is mixed in and the dough comes together). Place the dough on a piece of parchment cut to fit the pan and then put a piece of plastic wrap over the dough, pat it into a round and roll it out, I roll to about 1/8" and use a large cookie sheet. After its rolled out I top it with sauce, cheese and whatever toppings you like.

Place in oven and Bake for 25 minutes.

I MADE THIS AND WOW

GREAT PIZZA EVEN IF I DID NOT HAVE THE RIGHT SEASONINGS AND HAD TO TWEAK WITH SOMETHING NOT QUITE ITALIAN.
elainesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #1229
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Today's creative adventure-

Recipe to follow

Meyer Lemon Snowball Cookies
Did you post the recipe yet or did I miss it? I wanted to add the recipe to the sticky thread, and your beautiful pic to a collage.

Quote:
Gina's Better Than Flour Pizza- Ginaaaaaa

1 1/4 Cup Better Than Flour Mix
3 Tbsp Psyllium Husk Powder
1/4-1/2 Tsp Salt (didn't really measure)
2 tbsp Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 tbsp of Basil
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Baking Powder
3 Large Eggs
1 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine all dry ingredients and mix until blended. Add eggs and mix until well combined. Add boiling water and mix until dough thickens (I just use a fork to mix the eggs in then add water and mix until all the water is mixed in and the dough comes together). Place the dough on a piece of parchment cut to fit the pan and then put a piece of plastic wrap over the dough, pat it into a round and roll it out, I roll to about 1/8" and use a large cookie sheet. After its rolled out I top it with sauce, cheese and whatever toppings you like.

Place in oven and Bake for 25 minutes.

I MADE THIS AND WOW

GREAT PIZZA EVEN IF I DID NOT HAVE THE RIGHT SEASONINGS AND HAD TO TWEAK WITH SOMETHING NOT QUITE ITALIAN.
I'm glad you liked it!! We love pizza around here, I might make one tonight!
Old 02-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #1230
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:
Thanks Bev!

And thanks to Ginaaaaa b/c I totally want to take advantage of this great mix, but wow, is this thread loooong! The collection of just recipes is very helpful!

S.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote