Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #1171
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
Stats: 184/177/163/158
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki2777 View Post
Ginaaaaaa... What a beautiful coconut cupcake and thanks for giving the directions for one serving. Also, a big thanks to Ouizoid for this remarkable flour mix and all the posters for their suggestions and ideas.

I have been reading this thread (A Fantastic Flour Mix) all morning and I'm only on Page 18. I have to stop and have breakfast (which is now lunch-time) and get some work done. I would love to have kept reading, but I notice that this goes on until Page 32 (or more).

I want to make the coconut cupcake, but I have to get a few ingredients (the coconut flour and Erythritol). Where can I buy Erythritol... a vitamin store, health foods' store, or Whole Foods?

Again, thanks all!

Nikki
You might find this thread easier to read. I copied all the recipes and tips with links from this post so you don't have to sift through this entire post to find them.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...h-recipes.html
I buy erythritol online at netrition.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #1172
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: whoknew
WOE: SyndromeX
Start Date: June 2007
I have been making Barbo's First Draft Cornbread (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-bread-lc.html) and using 1/2 cup of Jen's Bake mix instead of Carbquik. Last night, I subbed out the bake mix with Better Than Flour - - lighter, corn taste came through better! Barbo's cornbread is just even more awesome!! (Shout out to Barbo -- hope you heal quickly!!!)

This morning, I made Chicken Lady's Almond Flour Fudge Cake and subbed out 2/3 cup of the almond flour for the Better Than Flour -- just curious! The BTF seemed to make it lighter. I did add 1/4 c 1/2 and 1/2 and 1/4 c HWC to get the batter to a consistency of not quite brownie batter. Turned out alright for donuts and mini-cakes. (sorry, no camera-no pics) dianne
Old 02-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #1173
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Barbo I hope you feel better soon.( no chemo ?I hope)

I haven't made this corn bread yet . I think I'll go look at it.Thanks.
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #1174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Yes 2 tsp baking powder in the crust and 2 tbsp of flour mix in the sauce.
Thanks, Gina.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #1175
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I made a buttermilk biscuit for breakfast this morning, I just used a 1/3 cup flour mix (made with almond flour and unflavored protein powder), a pinch of salt, 1/8 tsp. extra baking powder, 1 Tbsp. cold butter and 2-4 Tbs. buttermilk. Shaped into 2 biscuits and baked on a small baking pan in toaster oven. I got 2 lovely biscuits out of this, ate one for breakfast just warm out of the oven with butter; I think the other will be a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit tomorrow.

I am so happy to have a quick way to make just a biscuit or two; I love them but don't always want to make a full recipe. They are best right out of the oven IMO. I used to use Bakewell Cream in my biscuits, they came out very tall and fluffy, this is the closest I've come with a low carb one. I am one happy camper!!

I have been telling myself often that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 02-20-2013 at 03:19 PM..
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #1176
Major LCF Poster!

Hey guys, I was hoping that we could keep the recipe discussions in the original thread and just post recipes in the sticky thread, that way we can find recipes easily.

If a recipe or tip gets posted in the original thread I will copy it onto the sticky thread.

How does that sound to everyone?
Old 02-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #1177
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Hey guys, I was hoping that we could keep the recipe discussions in the original thread and just post recipes in the sticky thread, that way we can find recipes easily.

If a recipe or tip gets posted in the original thread I will copy it onto the sticky thread.

Anything for Our Archivist!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #1178
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Yep!!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #1179
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Anything for Our Archivist!
Thanks Ouis lol I just hate to see the sticky thread get like this one, making it impossible to find the recipes and tips.

I guess I could always ask Cheri to add the new recipes and tips to the front. I don't want you all to think I'm getting bossy or anything lol
Old 02-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #1180
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
gina--maybe they should make you a Mod!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #1181
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
gina--maybe they should make you a Mod!
That would be neat but I'm not sure if I qualify.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #1182
Major LCF Poster!

I made Callieco's bread the other day so I could make French toast with it and it got rave reviews from my DD who is 21 and picky and my teenage son. I loved it also!!

Here's her recipe!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16192745
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.1 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-20-2013 at 04:27 PM..
Old 02-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #1183
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I tried a yeast bread experiment today. Not so good. No rise, but good yeast flavor.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #1184
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
I tried a yeast bread experiment today. Not so good. No rise, but good yeast flavor.
Oh do keep trying this! I would love to make a loaf of yeast bread from this mix!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #1185
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
I don't think this flour mix will work as a yeast bread. You won't get any sort of rise with this flour because there's no gluten.

I used this flour mix in a quick and easy pizza crust recipe that has yeast in it but it doesn't have a rise time, just mix it up and let it sit for 5 minutes and roll it out. It did have a yeast taste just doesn't rise.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #1186
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
I don't think this flour mix will work as a yeast bread. You won't get any sort of rise with this flour because there's no gluten.

I used this flour mix in a quick and easy pizza crust recipe that has yeast in it but it doesn't have a rise time, just mix it up and let it sit for 5 minutes and roll it out. It did have a yeast taste just doesn't rise.
Could you explain that a bit further Gina? I don't want to waste my time playing around with something that can't work, but I do make a gluten free bread with yeast that is great and it rises just fine.

It has rice flour, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, salt, sugar, water, rapid rise yeast, butter, egg whites, and vinegar.

In a gluten-free class I took they suggested eggs to boost the rise and volume of bread and also suggested substituting carbonated water or gluten free beer as the carbon dioxide bubbles increased volume in the bread.

I would love to see if this mix could be used as I don't want to use the rice flour. But maybe coconut flour and almond flour are too dense/heavy.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #1187
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I added VWG and 8000. It did knead and I let it rise and bake. No go. Good yeast flavor, but not a bread.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #1188
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Could you explain that a bit further Gina? I don't want to waste my time playing around with something that can't work, but I do make a gluten free bread with yeast that is great and it rises just fine.

It has rice flour, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, salt, sugar, water, rapid rise yeast, butter, egg whites, and vinegar.

In a gluten-free class I took they suggested eggs to boost the rise and volume of bread and also suggested substituting carbonated water or gluten free beer as the carbon dioxide bubbles increased volume in the bread.

I would love to see if this mix could be used as I don't want to use the rice flour. But maybe coconut flour and almond flour are too dense/heavy.

I'm sorry, I meant starch not gluten. No gluten or starch. I don't think it's possible to make a yeast bread without gluten or starch.

I don't think yeast will work without either a gluten or starch but I could be wrong.

I eat low carb, so I wouldn't use any of those flours you mentioned and I don't know of any gluten/starch free flours that would work as a yeast bread.

See this is what happens when you have a zillion recipes saved to try!!

I just remembered I have a yeast bread roll recipe from Lauren at Healthy Indulgences that I saved to try sometime. Just google her name and Healthy Bread Rolls is the name of the recipe. It obviously doesn't use this mix but maybe it can be tweaked to work with it. It's gluten and grain free.

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-20-2013 at 07:29 PM..
Old 02-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #1189
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarenL
Stats: 125/121/110
WOE: HFLC GF SF
Start Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoknew View Post
I have been making Barbo's First Draft Cornbread (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-bread-lc.html) and using 1/2 cup of Jen's Bake mix instead of Carbquik. Last night, I subbed out the bake mix with Better Than Flour - - lighter, corn taste came through better! Barbo's cornbread is just even more awesome!! (Shout out to Barbo -- hope you heal quickly!!!)
I tried chicken lady's cornbread (which we totally love) subbing 1 cup of the almond flour with 1 cup of weezies btf mix. Used 25 drops of stevia and 1-1/2 tbs swerve. Added an egg because of the coconut flour in ouzoids mix. Used coconut oil for the oil. Soaked the ground cornmeal in 1 cup of boiling water for about 1 hour then processed in Cuisinart. Added 2 tbs powdered milk and 2 tbs hwc as that is in the low carb milk in the original recipe. I haz an anxiety because I did not dissolve the swerve in the liquid ingredients and hope it doesn’t crystalize and ruin everything. Fingers crossed!
CarenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #1190
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenL View Post
I tried chicken lady's cornbread (which we totally love) subbing 1 cup of the almond flour with 1 cup of weezies btf mix. Used 25 drops of stevia and 1-1/2 tbs swerve. Added an egg because of the coconut flour in ouzoids mix. Used coconut oil for the oil. Soaked the ground cornmeal in 1 cup of boiling water for about 1 hour then processed in Cuisinart. Added 2 tbs powdered milk and 2 tbs hwc as that is in the low carb milk in the original recipe. I haz an anxiety because I did not dissolve the swerve in the liquid ingredients and hope it doesn’t crystalize and ruin everything. Fingers crossed!
Yay! I finally got the loft that I haven't been able to achieve with almond flour and baking powder alone!

It's a tad dry - maybe 450 degree oven is too much. Next time ill throw in another egg? In the meantime, I'll have to smother it in butter!!! oh darn!

So happy!!

Last edited by CarenL; 02-21-2013 at 09:08 AM..
Old 02-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #1191
Blabbermouth!!!

Caren That is beautiful. I use the canned baby corn in her recipe , it works great.

I getting ready to make some because I make her bread and use some of it to make corndogs. Yummy!!! Now I'm going to try it the way you did it.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #1192
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Caren That is beautiful. I use the canned baby corn in her recipe , it works great.

I getting ready to make some because I make her bread and use some of it to make corndogs. Yummy!!! Now I'm going to try it the way you did it.
How much baby corn do you use for a full recipe. I almost never make a full recipe, I usually half it and bake it in a 8" skillet. Perfect for me and my husband's dinner plus leftovers for his lunch the next day.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #1193
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I wanted to try barbos recipe with the canned baby corn, but didn't have any. So i decided to soak the ground corn and use chicken lady's version. Do you mean you use the canned corn in barbos or chicken lady's recipe?

Is canned baby corn considered more a vegetable than a grain? We are trying to avoid grains - but we are trying to be realistic about it. You can go half nuts trying to leave out every potential bad food.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #1194
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
How much baby corn do you use for a full recipe. I almost never make a full recipe, I usually half it and bake it in a 8" skillet. Perfect for me and my husband's dinner plus leftovers for his lunch the next day.
I don't make a full recipe either Pam. My smaller cast iron skillet is also
8".Love it. I grind up 1 small can of Dynasty baby corn drained. I haven't done it in a while. I plan on making it this week. I think I used 1/2 of her recipe to make it.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #1195
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenL View Post
I wanted to try barbos recipe with the canned baby corn, but didn't have any. So i decided to soak the ground corn and use chicken lady's version. Do you mean you use the canned corn in barbos or chicken lady's recipe?

Is canned baby corn considered more a vegetable than a grain? We are trying to avoid grains - but we are trying to be realistic about it. You can go half nuts trying to leave out every potential bad food.
I consider it a vegetable not grain. LOL welcome to my world Caren I have to avoid a lot. Grains are not my friend, I tread lightly until I know if I can eat it. I've always used the baby corn to get the flavor I want.

I looked at Barbos and it looks great.

I used it in Chicken lady's recipe.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #1196
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Is the small can you refer to the 15-16 oz size or is there a smaller size I'm not aware of.

I've done a lot of research and reading about baby corn and have considered growing my own but one thing I learned is that baby corn hasn't developed the starch that is present in mature corn. You can use the same seeds but there are a few varieties that are better suited for it.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #1197
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 51 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Is the small can you refer to the 15-16 oz size or is there a smaller size I'm not aware of.

I've done a lot of research and reading about baby corn and have considered growing my own but one thing I learned is that baby corn hasn't developed the starch that is present in mature corn. You can use the same seeds but there are a few varieties that are better suited for it.
I have seen little 6-8oz cans.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #1198
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

I'd love to hear about your growing the baby corn. It doesn't make the starch or grain until maturity. That's why I can eat it.

Size----- Cindy has it. They are 6 to 8 oz. mine is 7oz. But I also have the 15oz. can and I would use half. I just quessed when I made hers and it was enough.Hope that helps Pam.

I am amking dairy free yogurt right now.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #1199
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I'd love to hear about your growing the baby corn. It doesn't make the starch or grain until maturity. That's why I can eat it.

Size----- Cindy has it. They are 6 to 8 oz. mine is 7oz. But I also have the 15oz. can and I would use half. I just quessed when I made hers and it was enough.Hope that helps Pam.

I am amking dairy free yogurt right now.

Helps a lot, thanks. Please share your dairy-free yogurt method when you have a chance.

Last edited by PaminKY; 02-21-2013 at 10:37 AM..
Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #1200
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Helps a lot, thanks. Please share your dairy-free yogurt method when you have a chance.
Sure Pam its on here.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ee-yogurt.html

I use the coconut and cashew one mostly. To me it taste better for unsweeten and sweeten.There are 2 recipes on this thread.