Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 06:00 AM   #1141
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Hey everyone I messed up in my first post, its supose to be 2 tsp Baking powder. I've asked Cheri to fix it for me but I wanted to let you know.

Sorry about that!!
I wonder if the crust recipe coulbe baked like a loaf or in a loaf pan for bread....hmmm...will have to experiment.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #1142
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Barbo darling--I knew you had an operation, but I'm so sorry to hear it was a cancer operation. Please heal quickly, we will all be thinking of you.

By the way--no biggie at all as I know it is hard to tell from the way the screen names are set up on the avatars, but there is no "Q" in my name! It is an O--like OUI in french!

love you Barbo--heal quickly!!!!!!!

Ouis
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #1143
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
I made a 'large' batch of the page one recipe, using all coconut flour. I've struggled with this quite a bit, as I haven't used coconut flour much and was just completely unprepared for how dry it is. (You read and read about it and think you understand, and then watch a small muffin basically consume an entire tablespoon of melted butter with not much change in texture.) ANYWAY, I didn't want to waste the stuff, so I tried genaw's "basic almond flour muffin" recipe, with the following adjustments:

1) Replaced one oz of the six ounces of almond flour called for with the Fantastic Flour mix.

2) Added an additional tablespoon of oil

(I also add a lot of cinnamon.)

Baked as directed--I've used this recipe before and love it, but it's a fairly typical almond flour muffin--dense and 'heavy'. However, I think adding the 1oz of flour mix acted the same way the "fake cakeability' recipes do--it transformed it from 'dense almond flour muffin' into a light, moist cakey muffin. Definitely a success.
Perdita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #1144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Barbo, hope you heal quickly. As for your question about the mix if you haven't already found the sticky here is the link:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...h-recipes.html

That pizza looks too good. I need to try to make my favorite, spinach & mushroom with alfredo sauce. Thanks for another wonderful recipe Gina.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #1145
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendajm View Post
Ginaaaa, you didn't cook the crust first before adding toppings??
You don't need to pre bake the crust. Just roll it out, top it and put in a pre heated oven @400 for 25 minutes. It took me a few times to figure out the thickness that we like our crust to be but no matter how thick it baked fine without baking it first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
I wonder if the crust recipe coulbe baked like a loaf or in a loaf pan for bread....hmmm...will have to experiment.
I was thinking about making rolls out of this recipe too, will have to try it sometime. I'm not sure if I would try in a loaf pan though I'm afraid it wouldn't bake right in it, let us know if you try it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
Barbo, hope you heal quickly. As for your question about the mix if you haven't already found the sticky here is the link:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...h-recipes.html

That pizza looks too good. I need to try to make my favorite, spinach & mushroom with alfredo sauce. Thanks for another wonderful recipe Gina.

Barbo, sorry to hear you had surgery, my sister had the same thing. I hope you feel better soon and have a speedy recovery.

Pam, I really loved this pizza crust and the way it baked up. The Alfredo sauce was so good on it too.

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-19-2013 at 10:08 AM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #1146
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
cross posting to my Close to Campbells Tomato Soup recipe...I have my soup with biscuits made with BetterThanFlour mix. This satisfies a lifelong love of tomato soup and biscuits, post #345, one of my all time favourite lunch combos.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16268023
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #1147
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
I love this mix, but I have been having too many biscuits,, I got gas so bad I have been banned from bringing them to work.. lol
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #1148
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I love this mix, but I have been having too many biscuits,, I got gas so bad I have been banned from bringing them to work.. lol
Yes, too much of a good thing is not always a good thing lol
Old 02-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #1149
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Today's creative adventure-

Recipe to follow

Meyer Lemon Snowball Cookies
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #1150
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post

Recipe to follow

wow! can't wait!
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #1151
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 51 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
I was waiting for someone to fess up on this!! I can get away with 1/2+ of the basic recipe per day or a whole one every other day. 17-18 grams in one sitting is a load. Possibly splitting it up, 1/2 now and 1/2 later.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #1152
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
I was waiting for someone to fess up on this!! I can get away with 1/2+ of the basic recipe per day or a whole one every other day. 17-18 grams in one sitting is a load. Possibly splitting it up, 1/2 now and 1/2 later.
I always made two out of the basic recipe, or just measure out about 1/4 cup mix to make one biscuit, muffin or cake at a time.

I have to say though that this mix hasn't bothered me at all even if I have more than one serving a day.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #1153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
17-18 grams in one sitting is a load.
This cracked me up!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #1154
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Recipe to follow

Yum!!!!
Old 02-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #1155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

no problems here either! Amazing how different we all are--
Old 02-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #1156
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 51 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
This cracked me up!
I get it!! One sitting!!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #1157
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
Good job! thanks for this. I'm wanting to make some smaller batches to try out some different products and different gums, also one without baking powder already added.

I've been reading everything I can find on the internet plus purchased some books about food stabilizers and gums and convinced that we're not using them to the best of their ability. I'm learning alot and wish I had more time at home to try things but I'll do what I can.

One little tidbit I've learned about glucomannan is that is starts to decompose around 250°C (482°F) and decomposition is complete at 350°C (662°F). The effect of prolonged exposure above 80°C (176°F) on the viscosity of konjac solutions is obvious, especially in acidic media. This explains why glucomannan failed to thicken the Crockpot Barbacoa Pork recipe I made. The sauce is acidic and low temp on a crockpot runs about 175° - 200° and I cooked it at least for 8 hours. It was like there was no gluc at all and I had to transfer to electric skillet and cook down the moisture to thicken it.

I would love to take courses on Food Chemistry. I'm ordering some of the other gums and stabilisers to try. Tragacanth looks interesting also acacia.

I was just going back reading figuring I probably missed some posts, and came across this post.

Usually when I use gluc to thicken sauces and stews, food that cooks for a long period of time I add the gluc at the end of cook time. I don't even think gluc needs to be heated to work anyways, does it?

Good post though, I found it interesting.

I am really liking this flour mix to thicken sauces and gravies too, it seems to work just like flour.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #1158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Hey everyone I messed up in my first post, its supose to be 2 tsp Baking powder. I've asked Cheri to fix it for me but I wanted to let you know.

Sorry about that!!
Gina - just double-checking, so it's 2 tsp. baking powder in the crust but still 2 Tbsp. in the alfredo sauce?
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #1159
Major LCF Poster!

Yes 2 tsp baking powder in the crust and 2 tbsp of flour mix in the sauce.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:46 AM   #1160
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Corvettebuff
Stats: 175/1160/150
Start Date: Jan 2013
Does anyone know where I can get the erythritol brown? I can't find it on netrition. I have the brown sugar twin but I don't think you can use it in cooking not sure on that. BBQ sauce calls for the brown erythritol. I'm sure the regular would work somewhat but I do make alot of things that need the sauce and I know the brown would be better.
Thanks, Susan
Corvettebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:53 AM   #1161
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
If there's a brown erythritol product I'm not aware of it, but some people blend their E with a tiny amount of molasses to get a similar effect.

Re: bathroom issues--reading other people's posts, this is a lightbulb moment for me. I've been trying to figure out if tagatose is causing me problems, but I forgot about the whole 'glucomannon is pure fiber' thing.
Perdita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:57 AM   #1162
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I don't think there is erythritol brown but I could be wrong.

I have brown sugar twin and brown sugar diabeta sweet. And some people use blackstrap molasses to give the flavor and another sweetner.

It took me awhile to get use to gluc.

HTH

Last edited by rosethorns; 02-20-2013 at 05:59 AM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #1163
Senior LCF Member

I have brown sugar twin but do you know if you can heat it ok? I have it in a ziplock bag and threw the cover bag away I guess I could google it..never thought of that til now..lol
Thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #1164
Blabbermouth!!!

Susan yes you can. I use it a lot because that is all I could find.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #1165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
If there's a brown erythritol product I'm not aware of it, but some people blend their E with a tiny amount of molasses to get a similar effect.

Re: bathroom issues--reading other people's posts, this is a lightbulb moment for me. I've been trying to figure out if tagatose is causing me problems, but I forgot about the whole 'glucomannon is pure fiber' thing.

Tagatose caused me horrible horrible intestinal distress, which is terribly sad because the flavour was fantastic--it made the best caramel sauce I ever tasted.

I make my brown sugar as above. I buy a 4lb bag from honeyville and put it in my big mixer with a dollop of molasses and blend til it is nice and brown. I also think that adding molasses tends to mitigate the cooling effect.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #1166
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Tagatose caused me horrible horrible intestinal distress, which is terribly sad because the flavour was fantastic--it made the best caramel sauce I ever tasted.

I make my brown sugar as above. I buy a 4lb bag from honeyville and put it in my big mixer with a dollop of molasses and blend til it is nice and brown. I also think that adding molasses tends to mitigate the cooling effect.
I am going to try this. Sounds good.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #1167
Senior LCF Member

Ok thanks! Do you get the powder or granular erythritol? I have to be led step by step sorry. About how much would you say is a tiny amount of molasses? And is that blackstrap or regular? Sorry for all the questions but this is going to be a total lifestyle change for me due to lyme disease. So LC for life and it makes me feel so much better. Any autoimmunt disease is helped by LC my doctor says. Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #1168
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I buy the granular and I am not a measurer, ha! I pour a small dollop in and see if it turns the right colour brown. If not, I pour in a little more--maybe 4 TBS per 4 pound bag? Maybe? Not sure--I think the colour and the taste are the most important.

I also have terrible autoimmune diseases. I eat primal, so I eat potatoes, but I also feel much better without wheat or sugar.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #1169
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvettebuff View Post
Ok thanks! Do you get the powder or granular erythritol? I have to be led step by step sorry. About how much would you say is a tiny amount of molasses? And is that blackstrap or regular? Sorry for all the questions but this is going to be a total lifestyle change for me due to lyme disease. So LC for life and it makes me feel so much better. Any autoimmunt disease is helped by LC my doctor says. Thanks again.
Susan you can ask any question. It was new to us at one time.

You can powder your own Erythritol.Blackstrap molasses ,reg has sugar in it. Read every label you can.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #1170
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nikki2777
Ginaaaaaa... What a beautiful coconut cupcake and thanks for giving the directions for one serving. Also, a big thanks to Ouizoid for this remarkable flour mix and all the posters for their suggestions and ideas.

I have been reading this thread (A Fantastic Flour Mix) all morning and I'm only on Page 18. I have to stop and have breakfast (which is now lunch-time) and get some work done. I would love to have kept reading, but I notice that this goes on until Page 32 (or more).

I want to make the coconut cupcake, but I have to get a few ingredients (the coconut flour and Erythritol). Where can I buy Erythritol... a vitamin store, health foods' store, or Whole Foods?

Again, thanks all!

Nikki
Nikki2777 is offline   Reply With Quote