Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #1081
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,394
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendajm View Post
I made yummy biscuits for dinner tonight by taking'1/4 cup of the mix and adding 2 tbsp almond flour and 1 tbsp butter and water and almond milk. I added the almond milk and water first till i got a thickness batter then cut in the butter. It made two nice biscuits for me and my hubby. I micro,d about 2.5 minutes. I had the batter split between 2 small pyrex dishes, then put in toaster oven and crisped up. They were very good.
I keep a container of mix with butter cut in just for making biscuits. It makes for a quick and easy breakfast, either just a buttered biscuit with jam or with eggs and bacon, or sausage and gravy on biscuits.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #1082
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,394
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I made some donut holes and tried filling them with raspberry preserves and rolling them in sugar. I guess I need more practice because it didn't seem like I got much in them lol I ended up putting a little dollop of frosting on top.

I used my donut recipe and added 1/2 tsp nutmeg for the real donut effect. It made them really yummy. I was going to make some regular sized ones and bake them in my donut pan but then I thought I would rather have the little donut holes for portion control. I got 30 donuts this time. I must have made then bigger last time.

I rolled some in sugar and some in coconut. I took pictures to show how they look before being baked and after being baked and decorated.

Can't wait to have donuts with my coffee in the morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (28.6 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-17-2013 at 05:49 PM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #1083
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sungoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,172
Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I made some donut holes and tried filling them with raspberry preserves and rolling them in sugar. I guess I need more practice because it didn't seem like I got much in them lol I ended up putting a little dollop of frosting on top.

I used my donut recipe and added 1/2 tsp nutmeg for the real donut effect. It made them really yummy. I was going to make some regular sized ones and bake them in my donut pan but then I thought I would rather have the little donut holes for portion control. I got 30 donuts this time. I must have made then bigger last time.

I rolled some in sugar and some in coconut. I took pictures to show how they look before being baked and after being baked and decorated.

Can't wait to have donuts with my coffee in the morning.

Yum yum!! You are so right about the donut holes being great for portion control. I sure need that!!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #1084
Major LCF Poster!
 
dianafoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern US
Posts: 1,210
Gallery: dianafoot
I had company this weekend, so I made traditional Southern buttermilk biscuits with white flour, shortening, butter, buttermilk, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cream. They were absolutely fantastic and everyone raved.

Meanwhile, I split a Fantastic Flour biscuit I had made yesterday and buttered and toasted it to go with my breakfast. Of course I did a taste test. OMG, my biscuit was better in every way! I am so grateful for this flour!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #1085
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sungoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,172
Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
I had company this weekend, so I made traditional Southern buttermilk biscuits with white flour, shortening, butter, buttermilk, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cream. They were absolutely fantastic and everyone raved.

Meanwhile, I split a Fantastic Flour biscuit I had made yesterday and buttered and toasted it to go with my breakfast. Of course I did a taste test. OMG, my biscuit was better in every way! I am so grateful for this flour!
Which recipe did you follow for this? I really want to make biscuits. This sounds wonderful.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #1086
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ouizoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,617
Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
I just responded to your PM.
When I made these, I treated the flour mix just like it was a flour replacement and not like a Bisquick mix. So I did add the extra baking powder to the recipe. I got a nice high rise using it.The first experiment with donuts I didn't use the additional BP and didn't get as good a rise. They were kind of flat. I was going to experiment again using less BP, to see if I got good results, but I have run out of supplies and am waiting for more. If you try it with less BP, and they work well, let me know and I will alter the recipe. I realize that is a lot of BP, so less is more. I would like to find just the right amount--enough just to get a good rise.

This brings up an important point I would love everyone's feedback about. Should this mix be marketed as a "flour" replacement --such that one would add ingredients from a recipe exactly? Do you know what I mean? Sub flour for flour in a recipe and add the other ingredients such as BP etc? 'Cause that is the way I have been treating it in recipes--a straight one-to-one sub for flour-- What sayeth the team?
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #1087
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,394
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
This brings up an important point I would love everyone's feedback about. Should this mix be marketed as a "flour" replacement --such that one would add ingredients from a recipe exactly? Do you know what I mean? Sub flour for flour in a recipe and add the other ingredients such as BP etc? 'Cause that is the way I have been treating it in recipes--a straight one-to-one sub for flour-- What sayeth the team?
I have been using it as a straight 1:1 flour substitute as well.
I just go by the recipe and use your flour mix in place of regular flour.

But I mean really, who would actually mind their cakes, biscuits and pancakes rising to much due to too much baking powder lol

I guess if the recipe does call for baking powder you can choose to not add it.

You could always leave the baking powder out of your final mix when it goes to market. Then you could really say its a flour.

This is a good question!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #1088
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,394
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
I had company this weekend, so I made traditional Southern buttermilk biscuits with white flour, shortening, butter, buttermilk, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cream. They were absolutely fantastic and everyone raved.

Meanwhile, I split a Fantastic Flour biscuit I had made yesterday and buttered and toasted it to go with my breakfast. Of course I did a taste test. OMG, my biscuit was better in every way! I am so grateful for this flour!
Recipe please
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #1089
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sungoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,172
Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
This brings up an important point I would love everyone's feedback about. Should this mix be marketed as a "flour" replacement --such that one would add ingredients from a recipe exactly? Do you know what I mean? Sub flour for flour in a recipe and add the other ingredients such as BP etc? 'Cause that is the way I have been treating it in recipes--a straight one-to-one sub for flour-- What sayeth the team?

This is exactly what I was thinking about. I was also trying to make it a one-to-one sub for flour. I agree with many of Gina's statements. And yes, a person could always eliminate the BP in their personal recipe if needed. You also have the option of adding other things to the mix if you want. You can add almond flour or resistant starch if you want.

On another note: You could do a basic cookbook that goes along with ithe mix with some tried and true recipes. Basics like the muffin, pancakes, biscuit, donut holes, piecrust. That will give people a successful place to start. We have a good start on recipes, but we could probably tinker them a bit and refine measurements and all because when you read through comments, you see some people have different results with the same recipes. Some have not been successful results.

Maybe once you know what brands of ingredients you are definitely going to use, we could test and tweak various recipes and then the ones that are most successful across the board to a majority of people could go in a little brochure or mini cookbook with the mix. Just a thought.

Some of my personal frustrations in the low carb baking world and the gluten free baking world is when I go to blogs and try the recipes posted some don't turn out at all. They work for some, but not others. I know a lot depends on the sweetener mix used, different ways of measuring things, and different brands of ingredients respond differently. But the more you can make it work for people, they happier they are going to be to buy the mix knowing they will have success.

Low carb ingredients are so expensive. I bought peanut flour to make a low carb recipe from a blog and it turned out to be a disaster. But it worked for some of the people. I feel like I wasted all the ingredients. I am not sure how to make recipes more successful to people across the board. I gave a LC pound cake recipe to a friend. When I made it, it was delicious and she loved it. When she made it, it tasted bitter ( no, she didn't use stevia). We can't figure out why one worked and one didn't. So maybe we can be helpful to you as a group who love your flour mix to test out various recipes, and try to tweak them so they work for a large number of people.
__________________
Good broth resurrects the dead. ~ South American Proverb

Last edited by sungoddess; 02-17-2013 at 07:20 PM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #1090
Always on, slightly off
 
CindyCRNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 6,097
Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
I just responded to your PM.
When I made these, I treated the flour mix just like it was a flour replacement and not like a Bisquick mix. So I did add the extra baking powder to the recipe. I got a nice high rise using it.The first experiment with donuts I didn't use the additional BP and didn't get as good a rise. They were kind of flat. I was going to experiment again using less BP, to see if I got good results, but I have run out of supplies and am waiting for more. If you try it with less BP, and they work well, let me know and I will alter the recipe. I realize that is a lot of BP, so less is more. I would like to find just the right amount--enough just to get a good rise.
Thanks, Sungoddess. I made them as written and they rose fine. I sprayed the pan but they stuck a bit. A tiny bit dry but I may have baked them a tad too long so will go with the 8 min next time. Love your chai mix recipe. They are dense but I will frost in the am and I bet they will be perfect. This is a keeper!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #1091
Senior LCF Member
 
whoknew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Southeastern US
Posts: 498
Gallery: whoknew
WOE: SyndromeX
Start Date: June 2007


I'm not much help on developing recipes -- I hate to cook! I can say that the recipes I have tried from this thread have all turned out quite well!

Excellent name choice! dianne
whoknew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #1092
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,394
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
It's really hard to make a flour mix like this with certain brands because a lot of
people like the brands they're using and have learned how to bake with them. YKWIM? So when Ouis's flour mix comes to market and we start using it, it won't matter which brands are used because we will adapt to it. Learn how it works in recipes and have great results.

I am having amazing results with everything so far. A lot of times recipe failures have a lot to do with experience, not just in baking and cooking but with low carb ingredients. I have been using them for about 7 yrs now and I know how they act and I can look at a recipe and say no way, that won't work.

I have also have come to know different food blogs and if their food and results are what I look for in a recipe I will try it. We all use different brands, but if we like that brand and have good results with it and know how it works with different recipes we can make them work. God I don't feel like i'm saying what I want to! lol

I think the thing we need to remember is that this isn't regular flour and we all use different sweeteners, and brands. Regular flour and sugar have been around forever, a long time to learn how it works in recipes and the same with sugar, but all I know about this flour mix of Ouis's is that it seems to be working very well for a lot of people so why change anything?

I just realized after all my rambling you weren't even asking about brands, but as far as using it as a flour for a 1:1 replacement in recipes I would say this mix needs more liquids, that's the only change I make when using a regular recipe.

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-17-2013 at 08:25 PM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #1093
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sungoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,172
Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
Thanks, Sungoddess. I made them as written and they rose fine. I sprayed the pan but they stuck a bit. A tiny bit dry but I may have baked them a tad too long so will go with the 8 min next time. Love your chai mix recipe. They are dense but I will frost in the am and I bet they will be perfect. This is a keeper!
I am glad they worked out okay. I have a brand new no -stick donut pan and didn't have to even spray that one, but my older pan I did need to spray. I was going to experiment adding a bit of ground chia to the recipe as that always seems to make things moister. Yes, they are a bit on the denser side. I hope they are good after you frost them.

I love chai so much. I use that same chai mix and add some to almond milk, a little turmeric, and some liquid splenda and heat it up and have a comforting, healthy drink that is so good!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #1094
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sungoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,172
Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
It's really hard to make a flour mix like this with certain brands because a lot of
people like the brands they're using and have learned how to bake with them. YKWIM? So when Ouis's flour mix comes to market and we start using it, it won't matter which brands are used because we will adapt to it. Learn how it works in recipes and have great results.

I am having amazing results with everything so far. A lot of times recipe failures have a lot to do with experience, not just in baking and cooking but with low carb ingredients. I have been using them for about 7 yrs now and I know how they act and I can look at a recipe and say no way, that won't work.

I have also have come to know different food blogs and if their food and results are what I look for in a recipe I will try it. We all use different brands, but if we like that brand and have good results with it and know how it works with different recipes we can make them work. God I don't feel like i'm saying what I want to! lol

I think the thing we need to remember is that this isn't regular flour and we all use different sweeteners, and brands. Regular flour and sugar have been around forever, a long time to learn how it works in recipes and the same with sugar, but all I know about this flour mix of Ouis's is that it seems to be working very well for a lot of people so why change anything?
LOL, I know I didn't say what I meant to in my last post.
I guess I was just trying to suggest some recipes to go along with the mix. And I agree with not changing anything. The mix is fantastic as is.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #1095
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,394
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
LOL, I know I didn't say what I meant to in my last post.
I guess I was just trying to suggest some recipes to go along with the mix. And I agree with not changing anything. The mix is fantastic as is.
Well I finally realized what I was trying to say and edited in to my post! lol

I'm sure we will have no problem coming up with more recipes for the flour mix though.

My problem is that there's so many things I want to try with it but I also have my favorites like donuts, cakes, biscuits and dumplings so I end up running out of ingredients before I can try something new. But that's not the flours fault now is it? Ha ha
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #1096
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Tweaker Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,437
Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
betterthanflour.com now exists. no web hosting, site for awhile, but domain name is--thanks for all the advice about that.
Yay, Ouiz! You're on your way - thanks for letting us come along for the ride!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #1097
Senior LCF Member
 
whoknew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Southeastern US
Posts: 498
Gallery: whoknew
WOE: SyndromeX
Start Date: June 2007
So........when the Better Than Flour is ready, will there be some test bags sent out to some of the resident kitchen gurus to test on the many delicious recipes already up and running??? You know their input is most valuable! dianne
whoknew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #1098
Major LCF Poster!
 
Brendajm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: lancaster, Pa
Posts: 2,048
Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
I just saw the recipe for Peggys cherry cake.. I must make asap. but I am at work..
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:13 AM   #1099
Always on, slightly off
 
CindyCRNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 6,097
Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
I am glad they worked out okay. I have a brand new no -stick donut pan and didn't have to even spray that one, but my older pan I did need to spray. I was going to experiment adding a bit of ground chia to the recipe as that always seems to make things moister. Yes, they are a bit on the denser side. I hope they are good after you frost them.

I love chai so much. I use that same chai mix and add some to almond milk, a little turmeric, and some liquid splenda and heat it up and have a comforting, healthy drink that is so good!

Genius!! Of course! I will make some chia gel in Almond Breeze and add that!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #1100
Major LCF Poster!
 
Brendajm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: lancaster, Pa
Posts: 2,048
Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
sungoddess, what brand are your pans? I made eggs cups yesterday and they stuck so bad that I almost thru out the pans,, and they are Hoffritz..
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #1101
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,703
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I made some donut holes and tried filling them with raspberry preserves and rolling them in sugar. I guess I need more practice because it didn't seem like I got much in them lol I ended up putting a little dollop of frosting on top.

I used my donut recipe and added 1/2 tsp nutmeg for the real donut effect. It made them really yummy. I was going to make some regular sized ones and bake them in my donut pan but then I thought I would rather have the little donut holes for portion control. I got 30 donuts this time. I must have made then bigger last time.

I rolled some in sugar and some in coconut. I took pictures to show how they look before being baked and after being baked and decorated.

Can't wait to have donuts with my coffee in the morning.

Your pics are great Gina.
Did your maker come with a little plastic thingy to put fruit inside?Mine did. I used low carb homemade jam to put inside and DH (he's not lc) loved them. I get a lot of lc jam in them.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #1102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
drjlocarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,307
Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
This brings up an important point I would love everyone's feedback about. Should this mix be marketed as a "flour" replacement --such that one would add ingredients from a recipe exactly? Do you know what I mean? Sub flour for flour in a recipe and add the other ingredients such as BP etc? 'Cause that is the way I have been treating it in recipes--a straight one-to-one sub for flour-- What sayeth the team?
I wouldn't take anything out of the mix. Baking powder is part of the mix and I'm not sure some if the microwave recipes would work without it. I have used the mix as a 1:1 replacement and still added more bk soda or bk pwd. Don't get too technical about the recipes the public will try, that's where the blog can help with after it is on the market.

Hopefully people will come to the blog for hints and new recipes to share.

As far as a recipe booklet with the mix, that will be an extra expense. I would print a few recipes, with pictures, on the package and then give the web address for the blog with more recipes.

As far as I'm concerned, the E should be left out so they can make savory things like the biscuits. When I make up the mix, I don't add sweetener. This after I said don't take anything out of the mix. Is everyone making the biscuits with sweetener already added?

Last edited by drjlocarb; 02-18-2013 at 09:19 AM..
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #1103
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,394
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
I wouldn't take anything out of the mix. Baking powder is part of the mix and I'm not sure some if the microwave recipes would work without it. I have used the mix as a 1:1 replacement and still added more bk soda or bk pwd. Don't get too technical about the recipes the public will try, that's where the blog can help with after it is on the market.

Hopefully people will come to the blog for hints and new recipes to share.

As far as a recipe booklet with the mix, that will be an extra expense. I would print a few recipes, with pictures, on the package and then give the web address for the blog with more recipes.
I agree, I've been happy with it the way it is. You could put a few tried and true simple recipes, take your pick between these ones, biscuits, donuts, cookies, muffins or pies on the package like drj said. We have some great pictures you can use too. I haven't tried the cookies yet but I know everyone that's made them have had good results, I can't imagine better low carb biscuits than what I get from this mix. My muffins or cakes come out great in the micro and I had the most amazing donut holes this morning with my coffee, I can't tell them from the ones at Duncan donuts.

Start with the blog and marketing the mix, we've already seen how much people love it. Keep it simple in the beginning, you can always change or add things later.


Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post

As far as I'm concerned, the E should be left out so they can make savory things like the biscuits. When I make up the mix, I don't add sweetener. This after I said don't take anything out of the mix. Is everyone making the biscuits with sweetener already added?
That's the only thing I ever leave out too!! lol I think I only used it the first couple of times I used it, then I started making biscuits and dumplings so I've left it out ever since. Didn't even think of it until you just mentioned it. Everyone likes to use their own sweeteners, I think for their own reasons so its really more of a personal choice. So there's two reasons it should be left out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Your pics are great Gina.
Did your maker come with a little plastic thingy to put fruit inside?Mine did. I used low carb homemade jam to put inside and DH (he's not lc) loved them. I get a lot of lc jam in them.
I got the babycakes maker and it came with a plastic tray for cooling the donuts and a thing to flip the donuts. I used my cake decorating injector and it seemed like the jam was going in but I think it sunk into the donuts, so the taste was there it just wasn't oozing out. lol

I really liked them with raspberry jam and coconut coating, and the plain ones were yummy too!!

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-18-2013 at 09:49 AM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #1104
Senior LCF Member
 
penguinpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 713
Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Going back to JUDDD
I would definitely keep the BP in the mix. Too many people have old BP around and wouldn't get the right lift and blame it on the mix - lots of people don't realize that BP does not have an indefinite shelf life. And, if you accidentally leave out the BP, you get dry hockey pucks (speaking from experience here lol).
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #1105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sungoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,172
Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendajm View Post
sungoddess, what brand are your pans? I made eggs cups yesterday and they stuck so bad that I almost thru out the pans,, and they are Hoffritz..
That's a bummer. The donut pan I like is the 6-Well USA Pans --Nonstick Donut Pan. It was a gift or I probably would have just been using my Wilton pan- the one that is now sticking. It is made out of a heavy gauge aluminized steel.

It has a coating on it called Americoat Plus that makes it nonstick. I haven't done any research on the nonstick coating itself. I don't know if it is where I live and the water on the property, but lots of my pans end up with corrosion or rust and this one is corrosion-resistant.

I had a non-stick muffin pan that only lasted me a year and then everything stuck to it like glue!! Ugh
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #1106
Senior LCF Member
 
slbbw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 322
Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
Had similar experience with Wilton. I received a Sur La Table gift card for Christmas and one of the items I got was a muffin top pan. It is absolute perfection. I highly recommend!
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #1107
Always on, slightly off
 
CindyCRNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 6,097
Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
That's a bummer. The donut pan I like is the 6-Well USA Pans --Nonstick Donut Pan. It was a gift or I probably would have just been using my Wilton pan- the one that is now sticking. It is made out of a heavy gauge aluminized steel.

It has a coating on it called Americoat Plus that makes it nonstick. I haven't done any research on the nonstick coating itself. I don't know if it is where I live and the water on the property, but lots of my pans end up with corrosion or rust and this one is corrosion-resistant.

I had a non-stick muffin pan that only lasted me a year and then everything stuck to it like glue!! Ugh
I may lower the temp to 400 and that may help the pan. They are metal and have a dark coating. They may benefit from a lower temp.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #1108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
buttoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 4,285
Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
8-Seed Dinner Roll

I just made a great little dinner roll with the mix. Looked like this:

8-Seed Dinner Roll

2 T. melted butter
1 T. cream
1 T. chia gel
¼ c. water
¼ c. Fantastic Flour mix (made by post #1 recipe)
1/8 tsp. onion powder
½-¾ tsp. 8-Seed mix (or seasonings of your choice)

I melted the butter in an oversized coffee mug, stirred in the other wet ingredients until blended. Measured in all the dry ingredients but the seed mixture and stirred well. I then sprinkled the seed blend evenly on top and nuked that puppy on HI for 1 minute 10 seconds in my 1150 watt microwave. It rose beautifully tall and had a soft, cake-like center. I also popped it into the broiler to lightly brown the top. I may try making a bigger batch of this batter (x6) and oven-baking six of these to see how that works out. DH really liked the flavor on this little roll with butter, as did I. I was trying to get a chewier center with the chi gel, but it's still pretty cake-like. But that's OK, because the flavor is FANTASTIC, living up to the mix's name (or have we settled on a new name, Ouiz? )

8-seed blend: Mix the following and store in a lidded container:

1 T. coriander seeds, crushed
1 T. black peppercorns (I use a mixture of black and red)
2 T. dehydrated onion (or dried shallot)
1 T. sesame seeds
1 T. caraway seeds
1 T. Nigella seeds (available in Indian groceries or from Penzey’s)
1 T. dark whole flax seeds
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 T. poppy seeds(I found mine
2 T. dried minced garlic
1 T. quinoa (optional)
__________________
Peggy
My recipe website: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/

Last edited by buttoni; 02-18-2013 at 11:11 AM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #1109
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,703
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
AAAAMMMMMAZING!!!!!!!! Dinner roll Peggy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin's daughter is on our forum now !!!!!

Last edited by rosethorns; 02-18-2013 at 11:56 AM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #1110
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,394
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I just made a great little dinner roll with the mix. Looked like this:

8-Seed Dinner Roll

2 T. melted butter
1 T. cream
1 T. chia gel
¼ c. water
¼ c. Fantastic Flour mix (made by post #1 recipe)
1/8 tsp. onion powder
½-¾ tsp. 8-Seed mix (or seasonings of your choice)

I melted the butter in an oversized coffee mug, stirred in the other wet ingredients until blended. Measured in all the dry ingredients but the seed mixture and stirred well. I then sprinkled the seed blend evenly on top and nuked that puppy on HI for 1 minute 10 seconds in my 1150 watt microwave. It rose beautifully tall and had a soft, cake-like center. I also popped it into the broiler to lightly brown the top. I may try making a bigger batch of this batter (x6) and oven-baking six of these to see how that works out. DH really liked the flavor on this little roll with butter, as did I. I was trying to get a chewier center with the chi gel, but it's still pretty cake-like. But that's OK, because the flavor is FANTASTIC, living up to the mix's name (or have we settled on a new name, Ouiz? )

8-seed blend: Mix the following and store in a lidded container:

1 T. coriander seeds, crushed
1 T. black peppercorns (I use a mixture of black and red)
2 T. dehydrated onion (or dried shallot)
1 T. sesame seeds
1 T. caraway seeds
1 T. Nigella seeds (available in Indian groceries or from Penzey’s)
1 T. dark whole flax seeds
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 T. poppy seeds(I found mine
2 T. dried minced garlic
1 T. quinoa (optional)

Wow Peggy that looks Fantastic, and does live up to the old name!! The new name is Better Than Flour.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:50 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.