Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #961
Senior LCF Member
 
Corvettebuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Smalltown Missouri
Posts: 195
Gallery: Corvettebuff
Stats: 175/1160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 2013
Thank you! I've ordered somethings should get them Monday but want to order some more so this helps me alot or any newbie or secondtime around newbie like I am. I'm 67 years old and was very very ill a few years ago with lyme disease. Since being on antibiotics for two years I have cronic yeast in my colon. Plus I am borderline diabetic so this has to be a lifestyle change for me not just a fad like it was the first time I did LC. Sorry didn't mean to hyjack the thread just wanted to thank you all for the recipes and help. Makes my life so much easiery. Susan H.
Corvettebuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #962
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,587
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Sorry to be a pest about this... did you dip your cube steak in beaten eggs?
Then dip in the flour mixture, then fry?
Judy I dipped my chicken in egg and then Ouizoid's orginal mix and baked. So Yummy!!!!

Beef cube steaks sound really good.

Susan ....I hope you ae feeling better.

Last edited by rosethorns; 02-15-2013 at 08:32 AM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #963
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,139
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Thank you Esther!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #964
Major LCF Poster!
 
Brendajm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: lancaster, Pa
Posts: 2,013
Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Did I read somewhere in the last 5 pages that someone did a pizza crust with this flour?
Brendajm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #965
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,587
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
LOL when I started reading this thread I started seeing recipes . So I went back to the first one and wrote down every post that had a recipe.

Brenda the post of a pic of the pizza is post #636. from sungoddess. HTH

Gina has made pizza too.

Last edited by rosethorns; 02-15-2013 at 08:50 AM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #966
Senior LCF Member
 
Deb34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 436
Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
This recipe is actually x 9 of the original mix where Judy's is x 6, the ratios are the same in both recipes.

I use the above recipe but double it.
so you make a huge 18x batch? How do you store it? In the freezer?
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #967
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Extreme western upper SC, USA
Posts: 142
Gallery: elainesmith
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Sorry to be a pest about this... did you dip your cube steak in beaten eggs?
Then dip in the flour mixture, then fry?
No, they were just wet and salted/peppered...but I'm sure egg dipped would be fine, they collected enough breading w/o the extra wetness.
elainesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #968
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Extreme western upper SC, USA
Posts: 142
Gallery: elainesmith
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2010
They were very crispy
elainesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #969
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,398
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Hey guys I refigured the big batch amounts. Pleae let me know if they are right so I can fix them. Thanks!


Basic flour mixture

2 Tbs Oatfiber
2 Tbs coconut flour (60)
1 Tbs vanilla protein powder (30)
1 Tbs eggwhite powder (22)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder
1 Tbs erythritol (optional)
spices (optional--but is great with pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon)

To this I add a mixture of davinci SF syrup and water or almond milk. My mixture is about 1/2 cup to start, but because of the coconut flour, more liquid may be necessary. Experiment with it.

Fantastic Flour Mix X 3

3/8 cup Oat Fiber
3/8 cup Coconut Flour
3 tablespoons Protein Powder
3 tablespoons Egg White Powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Glucommanan

Fantastic Flour Mix X 6

3/4 cup oat fiber
3/4 cup coconut flour
3/8 cup protein powder
3/8 cup + 2 Tbsp. egg white powder
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. glucomannan powder

Fantastic Flour Mix X 9

1 cup + 2 tbsp oat fiber
1 cup + 2 tbsp coconut flour
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp protein powder
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp egg white powder
1 tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp + 1/2 tsp glucommanan

Fantastic Flour Mix X 12

1 1/2 cups oat fiber
1 1/2 cups coconut flour
3/4 cup protein powder
3/4 egg white powder
2 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp glucommanan
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #970
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,587
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Gina this is Awesome. Thanks!!!!!!

I have a running post for #'s for recipes.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #971
Senior LCF Member
 
Deb34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 436
Gallery: Deb34
What about water chestnut flour to add crispiness to breading/cookies or piecrust?

Now I'm wondering if a little water chestnut flour could be added to a little of the mix to add that crispiness to breaded things. It might also be a good addition for crisping up the cookie recipes?

The nutrition info I found online for water chestnut flour says it has 5 gm carbs per 1/4 cup with 1 gm fibre so that = 4 gm per 1/4 cup.

If you mix 1/8 cup water chestnut flour into your FFM breading, you'd only be adding 2 gm of carbs.

Google: GourmetSleuth Water chestnut starch for the info. It seems to agree with the tracker on the nutrition info.

Since this stuff is slightly course, I would whizz it in my coffee grinder to make the powder finer before adding to a recipe.

Quote:
Also referred to as water chestnut powder, or water chestnut flour the product is extracted from water chestnut (Eleocharis dulcis). The resulting flour (starch) is a slightly coarse looking, greyish color used as a thickener which also adds a sheen to the liquid. It is also used as a coating for frying and it adds a crispy texture. Chestnut flour does not blend in water as easily as corn starch. **This is not the same as "chestnut flour" made from tree chestnuts.
Water Chestnut Flour (Starch) Nutrition Information:
Per 1/4 cup (32g)
Calories: 34
Fat: 0
Cholesterol: 0
Carbohydrate: 5g
Dietary Fiber: 1g
Sugars: 2g
Protein: 1g
when I get some, I'll give it a try....
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #972
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,587
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
OK Guys I tried to make a mexican type flavored cracker. I know what I did wrong so when I perfect it i will post it.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #973
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,398
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Gina this is Awesome. Thanks!!!!!!

I have a running post for #'s for recipes.
Thanks hopefully I did it right. I was thinking about starting a new thread for the measurements in the big batches and for recipes only. Is that a good idea? I have a list of just recipes from this thread, not the ideas just the written recipes. I figured that making a new thread just for recipes that are written out would make it easier to find them. The ideas can stay in this thread.

By the way, if you want to search for a certain recipe for cookies, pies or pizza, you can go to the top of the thread and just do a search this thread, type in what you're looking for ie: cookies, pie, pizza and it will bring up all the posts with those words.

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-15-2013 at 10:31 AM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #974
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
PaminKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,351
Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
so you make a huge 18x batch? How do you store it? In the freezer?

I did make that big of a batch and store it in a Lock 'N Lock container in the fridge. It's not as big as it sounds, takes us less room that 5lb bag of flour.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #975
Senior LCF Member
 
Corvettebuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Smalltown Missouri
Posts: 195
Gallery: Corvettebuff
Stats: 175/1160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 2013
Gina that sure would be great then they could just be printed off.
Corvettebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #976
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,587
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Gina that is a great idea.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #977
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,398
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Ok, I already have the recipes ready, I'm just going to go through real quick and get the ideas for different flavors and stuff and I will post them below the recipes.

The new thread will just be for recipes though. If you have an idea post them here and I will put them all together and post them in the new thread in one post, this way we can find recipes and ideas easier.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #978
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
PaminKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,351
Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Hey guys I refigured the big batch amounts. Pleae let me know if they are right so I can fix them. Thanks!


Basic flour mixture

2 Tbs Oatfiber
2 Tbs coconut flour (60)
1 Tbs vanilla protein powder (30)
1 Tbs eggwhite powder (22)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder
1 Tbs erythritol (optional)
spices (optional--but is great with pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon)

To this I add a mixture of davinci SF syrup and water or almond milk. My mixture is about 1/2 cup to start, but because of the coconut flour, more liquid may be necessary. Experiment with it.

Fantastic Flour Mix X 3

3/8 cup Oat Fiber
3/8 cup Coconut Flour
3 tablespoons Protein Powder
3 tablespoons Egg White Powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Glucommanan

Fantastic Flour Mix X 6

3/4 cup oat fiber
3/4 cup coconut flour
3/8 cup protein powder
3/8 cup + 2 Tbsp. egg white powder
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. glucomannan powder

Fantastic Flour Mix X 9

1 cup + 2 tbsp oat fiber
1 cup + 2 tbsp coconut flour
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp protein powder
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp egg white powder
1 tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp + 1/2 tsp glucommanan

Fantastic Flour Mix X 12

1 1/2 cups oat fiber
1 1/2 cups coconut flour
3/4 cup protein powder
3/4 egg white powder
2 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp glucommanan

Good job! thanks for this. I'm wanting to make some smaller batches to try out some different products and different gums, also one without baking powder already added.

I've been reading everything I can find on the internet plus purchased some books about food stabilizers and gums and convinced that we're not using them to the best of their ability. I'm learning alot and wish I had more time at home to try things but I'll do what I can.

One little tidbit I've learned about glucomannan is that is starts to decompose around 250°C (482°F) and decomposition is complete at 350°C (662°F). The effect of prolonged exposure above 80°C (176°F) on the viscosity of konjac solutions is obvious, especially in acidic media. This explains why glucomannan failed to thicken the Crockpot Barbacoa Pork recipe I made. The sauce is acidic and low temp on a crockpot runs about 175° - 200° and I cooked it at least for 8 hours. It was like there was no gluc at all and I had to transfer to electric skillet and cook down the moisture to thicken it.

I would love to take courses on Food Chemistry. I'm ordering some of the other gums and stabilisers to try. Tragacanth looks interesting also acacia.

Last edited by PaminKY; 02-15-2013 at 10:49 AM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #979
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
PaminKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,351
Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
Now I'm wondering if a little water chestnut flour could be added to a little of the mix to add that crispiness to breaded things. It might also be a good addition for crisping up the cookie recipes?

The nutrition info I found online for water chestnut flour says it has 5 gm carbs per 1/4 cup with 1 gm fibre so that = 4 gm per 1/4 cup.

If you mix 1/8 cup water chestnut flour into your FFM breading, you'd only be adding 2 gm of carbs.

Google: GourmetSleuth Water chestnut starch for the info. It seems to agree with the tracker on the nutrition info.

Since this stuff is slightly course, I would whizz it in my coffee grinder to make the powder finer before adding to a recipe.



when I get some, I'll give it a try....


I actually had that at one time but I think I tossed it for some reason. I bought it at the Asian market and it's possible it had some other ingredient I decided I didn't like.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #980
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ouizoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,528
Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Gina, thanks so much for doing all that work. We should probably create a blog with all the recipes, but I am so slammed with work IRL that I haven't been able to get that going. Maybe if the mix production gets up and running.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #981
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,587
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I just saw the Chocolate Turtle Pie recipe . O MY that sounds great. YUM!!!!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #982
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,139
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Gina, the x6 - Here's what I get and I didn't check the others.

Fantastic Flour Mix - x6

3/4 cup Oat Fiber
3/4 cup Coconut Flour
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Protein Powder (also described as 3/8 cup)
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Egg White Powder (also described as 3/8 cup)
1 tablespoon Baking Powder
1 tablespoon Glucommanan

---------------
Are you using extra egg white powder?
Maybe I got it wrong.

I thought the egg white powder was 3/8 cup and not 3/8 cup + 2 Tbsp?

-------------
Just realized, I bet you had a typo.
__________________
Judy

Last edited by JMCM1; 02-15-2013 at 11:40 AM..
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #983
Senior LCF Member
 
Deb34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 436
Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
I just saw the Chocolate Turtle Pie recipe . O MY that sounds great. YUM!!!!
where did you see that???? in this thread? how did I miss it?
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #984
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,398
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Gina, the x6 - Here's what I get and I didn't check the others.

Fantastic Flour Mix - x6

3/4 cup Oat Fiber
3/4 cup Coconut Flour
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Protein Powder (also described as 3/8 cup)
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Egg White Powder (also described as 3/8 cup)
1 tablespoon Baking Powder
1 tablespoon Glucommanan

---------------
Are you using extra egg white powder?
Maybe I got it wrong.

I thought the egg white powder was 3/8 cup and not 3/8 cup + 2 Tbsp?

-------------
Just realized, I bet you had a typo.

Good catch!! I must have put the 2 tbsp in by mistake. I had 3/8 cup for the protein powder so I'm not sure how I messed up on the egg white.

I sent a message to one of the mods so they can fix it. Thanks again!

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-15-2013 at 12:10 PM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #985
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,398
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
where did you see that???? in this thread? how did I miss it?
There's a new thread for just recipes, the turtle recipe is in that thread.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #986
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,398
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Gina, thanks so much for doing all that work. We should probably create a blog with all the recipes, but I am so slammed with work IRL that I haven't been able to get that going. Maybe if the mix production gets up and running.
No problem! I'm working on posting the ideas in the big batch and recipe thread.

I'm not computer savy enough to make a blog but I could see if my daughter will help me set one up.

If anyone has any ideas for a blog they would be appreciated.

I just talked to my daughter and we are coming up with a blog.
We need ideas for a title of the blog and colors or banners.

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-15-2013 at 12:22 PM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #987
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ouizoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,528
Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
My daughter has a very famous food blog (brokeassgourmet). I also emailed her for some help
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #988
Major LCF Poster!
 
gharkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 1,683
Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Sorry if this has already been answered - where do we get this banana nut protein powder? Thank you.
I give up. I am the kiss of death - no doubt of that.

According to Netrition.com the banana nut flavor has been "discontinued by the manufacturer." Boo, hiss.

I'd try the banana cream pie, next (but I haven't actually used it myself.) it is still available on netrition.com - at least until the manufacturer learns I recommended it, and then I'm sure they'll stop the process immediately.
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #989
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,139
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharkness View Post
I give up. I am the kiss of death - no doubt of that.

According to Netrition.com the banana nut flavor has been "discontinued by the manufacturer." Boo, hiss.

I'd try the banana cream pie, next (but I haven't actually used it myself.) it is still available on netrition.com - at least until the manufacturer learns I recommended it, and then I'm sure they'll stop the process immediately.


I feel the same way about eye shadow colors. The minute the manufacturers find the colors I enjoy using, they are discontinued.

Thank you for answering, though. I think I will try the banana cream pie before they hear of your recommendation!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #990
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,587
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
where did you see that???? in this thread? how did I miss it?
It's #19 on Gina's list of the recipes.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:32 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.