Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #811
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
Stats: 184/177/163/158
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2009
I only used buttermilk for the donuts because I happened to have some at the time but I think any liquid would work, such as half and half or a mix of cream and water. Good idea for using sour cream!!

The pizza crust only has a half tsp of sugar so I think even if it doesn't get eaten by the yeast (which I think it does) it wouldn't add that many carbs or sugar to the recipe. It didn't raise my BS last night.

I just put in an order so I can make more mix, I want to try the pizza again, and cookies, pies, pancakes, biscuits. lol

Love this thread!!

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-11-2013 at 01:08 PM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #812
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
And Gina we love you ON this thread!

And I think I have read that yeast does eat the sugar so we don't have to!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #813
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
OUIZOID your new picture is so Beautiful......

Houston we have a SPLASHDOWN.
I don't know if you all are crazy about these cookies like I am. I use to make thin mint cookies using the 3 minute cake . Now We have these.
One of my top 10 cookies.

Low Carb Thin mint cookies

1 1/2 cups Fabulous mix
1 whole egg
1 1/4 c. CC or almond milk or cream & water
1/2 c. butter or coconut oil
1/2 c. Erythritol or Xylitol
1/4 to 1/2 tsp mint extract ( depends how minty you want )
14 drops liquid sucralose
1/4 c. rich chocolate cocoa powder
1/4 tsp gluc ( more )
1/4 tsp baking powder ( more )

This is a thick batter.
Put all the dry ingredients in a large bowl, whisk and set aside.In another bowl cream together butter and sweetners, add egg & mint extract mix well, add milk stir well . Add lliquids to dry 1/3 at a time , stir each time well.( this is very thick looks like cake batter)

I then took 2 peices of plastic wrap and split batter in half and wrapped them up. I let chill for 30 mins. ( I think it has to be chilled in freezer for 30 mins. I did this with the 2nd 1/2. ) The first half I cut 1/4" thick and bake 350 for 12 to 17 minutes. Let cool all the way .

Melt chocolate peices with a T. of almond milk( or cream ) until smooth.
Dunk cookies to coat then flip and coat the other side.

I used melted homemade chocolate chips for the outside chocolate coating. You could use chocoperfection bars , lindt bar or any chocolate you can melt.

The cookies are soft. But that makes no difference to us. They are so good.YUMMY!!!!!!!
THin Mint Cookies.

click to enlarge
thin mints 001.jpg
this is one of the 6" rolls. I have 1 in freezer.
thin mints 002.jpg
I got 20 cookies for half the dough.

thin mints 003.jpg
Dh ate some.

I love this mix.

Ouizoid I can't wait to make your cranberry cookie recipe.

May we all live our life as long as we want!

Last edited by rosethorns; 02-11-2013 at 02:15 PM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #814
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
I agree - I love your ideas and experiments Gina. And Sharon I forgot to buy buttermilk and never would have thought about sour cream instead so thanks for that idea.

I tried making Oreo cookies today from a homemade Oreo recipe and they didn't turn out anything like an Oreo but they turned out very much like a whoopie pie cookie and they are seriously good cookies. I couldn't stop eating them even without a filling. They're cakey without being like cake if that makes sense.

I filled them with two different kinds of ice cream and a peanut butter filling because I'm just all about peanut butter and chocolate right now

This is how I made them:

1 ¼ cup mix made with plain whey protein powder
Scant ½ cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
sweetener equal to 1 cup, I used:
½ cup plus 2 tbl swerve and ½ cup Tagatose
1 large egg
1 ½ sticks butter (12 tbl) softened, room temp
2 squares 85% chocolate melted

Throw everything into the mixer. You'll need the paddle attachment because the dough is heavy. When it balls up and holds onto the paddle it's done mixing. You can roll them out on parchment and use a cookie cutter but I finally decided it was just easier to form them by hand.

Bake 325 for about 12 min on parchment lined cookie sheet. They're done when they feel cakey and spring back after a light touch.
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #815
Blabbermouth!!!

Calliecio your Choclate peanutbutter pie looks awesome!!!!!!

Good to know about the sour cream.

I have to use non-dairy, so I used almond milk for my donut holes.

I just looked at your Whoopie pies Callieco . WOW!!!! MY O MY

Last edited by rosethorns; 02-11-2013 at 02:23 PM..
Old 02-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #816
Major LCF Poster!

Wow and double wow!! Lol we love whoopies!!!

Esther your cookies look yummy too!! Copied both recipes to try!

Thanks for sharing!!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #817
Senior LCF Member

Esther - love thin mints. Great minds = chocolate cookies
Old 02-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #818
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
Dayum! (can I say that on LCF?) Those are some SERIOUSLY awesome looking cookies or whoopies.. whatever! My grandchildren will die over these Just realized I completely missed the thin mint cookies! WTG, Esther!

Last edited by slbbw; 02-11-2013 at 02:25 PM..
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #819
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
Start Date: January 2011
Okay, I really don't need any more treats in my freezer right now, but those whoopie pies look so much better than the whoopie pies that are already in my freezer. Is it so bad to upgrade? LOL. I can justify anything, it seems, in the name of chocolate. . .

Thanks so much for sharing.
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #820
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
And Gina we love you ON this thread!

And I think I have read that yeast does eat the sugar so we don't have to!
Aww thanks!!

Yes I do believe it gets eaten by the yeast, but there's not much sugar for me to worry much anyways.

I can't believe all the wonderful recipes being posted!! It's like we hit the jackpot with this mix.

Ouizoid, I have to keep saying this because I just can't get over what a fantastic mix this really is but thank you so much for sharing this with all of us!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #821
Blabbermouth!!!

I didn't take a pic but I made a banna nut muffin for my neighbor this morning. She is diabetic.

Ouiziod she told me to tell you she would definetly buy your mix!!
She Loved that muffin.

Callieco I printed out your whoopie pie recipe YUM.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #822
Senior LCF Member

I don't know how much the Tagatose I've been using affects the texture and taste of what I'm making. I would like to hear what the results are if anyone makes that whoopie cookie using other sweeteners.

I have to say, after all my attempts at baking, the tagatose and Swerve combo really seems to have the most sugar like properties and taste. I love Swerve because I can't taste any cooling at all and that's quite amazing since every other erythritol I've tried tastes like a strong minty mouthwash.

With Ouizoid's mix and this sweetener mix, it's near as perfect a combo as I've ever gotten with low carb ingredients and I'm not sure if the results will be the same without it. So how much is the mix and how much is the sweetener combination? I don't know but I think it's both actually.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #823
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Callie I ordered tagatose too so I'm interested in trying that out. I knew everybody would love this as a cookie flour base.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #824
Senior LCF Member

This mix is for sure great for cookies Ouizoid. The first thing I tried, I think, was making peanut butter cookies. The texture was perfect but the erythritol ruined it. I'm going to try it again with the Swerve/tagatose combo and see how they turn out. The problem is, I'm making mix as fast as I can and running out of the components because I keep using it for other stuff
Old 02-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #825
Major LCF Poster!

Shoot I just made an order today. I guess the swerve/tagatose combo will have to wait til next time.

I think you're right about the sweeteners, they do react differently so it does make sense that recipes would differ for that reason.

I keep running out of stuff too!! I've been eating a biscuit every morning from the left over mix that I used to make dumplings. lol

Totally off topic-JMCM1, I started watching Dowton the other night on amazon prime videos after seeing all the avatars and posts about it. It's really good!

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-11-2013 at 05:01 PM..
Old 02-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #826
Senior LCF Member

Gina I just made your pizza crust. The only thing I did differently was use a whole packet of rapid rise yeast -it's what I had and I figured I'd just use the whole thing instead of half. I didn't really taste much yeast flavor but it was still a very good vehicle for the pizza toppings. It is very much like a thin crust shell, holds up really well and has that kind of mouth feel. My daughter who is not a low carber liked it too.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #827
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Totally off topic-JMCM1, I started watching Downton the other night on amazon prime videos after seeing all the avatars and posts about it. It's really good!
I am just recently caught up myself. A friend loaned me Seasons 1 & 2 and I DVRd this season - can't believe how much I like it and now this season is almost over!

I am excited about your pizza crust and all the beautiful cookie creations today! This was a good day in Fantastic Flour Mix land!
Old 02-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #828
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
Gina I just made your pizza crust. The only thing I did differently was use a whole packet of rapid rise yeast -it's what I had and I figured I'd just use the whole thing instead of half. I didn't really taste much yeast flavor but it was still a very good vehicle for the pizza toppings. It is very much like a thin crust shell, holds up really well and has that kind of mouth feel. My daughter who is not a low carber liked it too.

I'm glad you liked it! I'm surprised you didn't get any yeast flavor, I tasted it quite a bit. I realized after I posted the recipe that I used 2 1/4 tsp of the yeast even though I halved the recipe so I thought maybe that's why the yeast flavor was so strong, but you used a whole pkg also.

I will be making it again when I get my order in so I will try a whole recipe with the right amount of yeast.
It's nice to have two pizza crusts recipes that I like, this one and Maria's. I actually made Maria's tonight and was just about to post a pic lol
Old 02-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #829
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
Thread lurker, it took me a while to gather up the ingredients. I made a quick cinnamon microwave cake, it was very good and I'm ready to try more.

Has anyone tried this with a standard toll house type recipe? I have some good SF choc chips and I'd love to give it a try, but my last attempt at cookies failed (almond flour only, they never set) and I'm afraid of wasting more ingredients. Can anyone suggest ratios, or would you use the mix as a straight up 1:1 replacement for flour? My sweeteners can be any combo of: erythritol, tagatose and liquid Splenda. Any suggestions welcome and I will report back.

Last edited by Perdita; 02-11-2013 at 06:55 PM..
Perdita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #830
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Callieco - your whoopie pies are a thing of beauty! Can't wait to try them!

Rose - the thin mints look really good, I was never a big fan of girl scout cookies but when I did have them it was the thin mints!

I need to make an order for supplies too, and I'm going to make a huge batch of the flour mix, I can't imagine making it up one recipe at a time as, I think, was the original intent.

Quiz, you certainly have made a big impact on low carb baking and I thank you for this wonderful contribution!

I have been telling myself often that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 02-11-2013 at 08:09 PM..
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #831
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
The pecan cranberry cookies were great, my husband liked them too.

I need to check out Tagatose. I know I've looked at in the past and decided it wasn't for me but I can't remember why now.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #832
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Perdita--I've made chocolate chip cookies, but not the traditional toll house recipe. I smashed up a 99% cacao bar and just winged it for the cookie recipe--I loveeeee toll house cookies! Don't know if I could trust myself with a batch!

By the way, I make a great brown sugar sub by adding molasses to a big bag of erythritol and blending. Now I am thinking of trying that with the tagatose, after I experiment with making some caramel with it. I only ordered a 1 lb bag because I am sensitive to sugar alcohols and some folks reported GI impact with the tagatose, but the caramelizing effects seem to be really good. I'll let y'all know how it goes.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #833
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK CREATIVE TEAM

I have a Giant Favour to ask--

I have created a new email account for this group: Osfantasticflour@gmail you will notice there is no apostrophe

I am going to try and go thru the thread (when I have time, I am currently preparing a program to give at a conference in Europe in two months, so I am slammed), and pull out recipes, but if you already have a collection that you could send me, that would be awesome

I am going to try and make contact with a particular manufacturer sometime in the next week or two, and I'd love to be able to send a compendium of recipes.

Let me know what y'all think. I'd also love to give credit to each individual contributer

love you all!

Ouis
Old 02-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #834
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
OK CREATIVE TEAM

I have created a new email account for this group: Osfantasticflour@gmail you will notice there is no apostrophe

I am going to try and go thru the thread (when I have time, I am currently preparing a program to give at a conference in Europe in two months, so I am slammed), and pull out recipes, but if you already have a collection that you could send me, that would be awesome

I am going to try and make contact with a particular manufacturer sometime in the next week or two, and I'd love to be able to send a compendium of recipes.

Let me know what y'all think. I'd also love to give credit to each individual contributer

love you all!

Ouis
Good luck with your program in Europe! How wonderful you have some leads on professionally developing your mix. You have lots of excitement going on.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #835
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
So happy and proud!! WTG O! I'm afraid my "collection" will just mimic a dozen others, because I copied Esther's, Ginaaaaa's, etc etc. ..

Maybe someone could go through this thread and post the links of recipes in one post.. I might have some time later today.
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #836
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Quote:
OK CREATIVE TEAM

love you all!

Ouis
I have a list completed in Word, but it doesn't all fit in a PM and the formatting is off. I could email it to you if someone hasn't already submitted a list to you. Or I could copy and paste it here.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #837
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you so much miboje! I put the email in the body of my last post--
Old 02-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #838
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Quote:
Oops!
Email sent....
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #839
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I just used this recipe to make an egg, ham and cheese mc muffin and it came out great!! I made the whole recipes and got two round biscuits.

It's the most neutral tasting low carb bread I've had yet, and it holds up really well. Thanks for sharing.
so you divided the dough(batter) in two or you made two entire recipes(from the first page)?
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #840
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I've got a 5 or 6 page Word doc I'll email you, Ouoizoid. It is not a perfect compilation - if something didn't appeal to me I didn't copy it, but it's a start.